• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

dubc35

cleaning nasty consoles is super satisfying at least. you'll enjoy it that much more when it's clean.
yeah it will be nice!
Soft toothbrush and 91% alcohol all over it. ... Don't keep the toothbrush after.
Cool thanks. I was going to just soap and water the plastic pieces. That being said I need to see if I can remove the power/eject button assy. Then the top and bottom will be electronic free.
Oh man, that sucks. I haven't encountered anything that bad yet - and hopefully never will. Just sometimes what appears to be some remains of a dead cat in my Saturn once. Not literally, but damn there was gunk galore.

Agree with elevator. Lots of alcohol. Be sure to buy some beer for yourself as well. Actually, this may call for some hard stuff...
Haha, having a beer now. I usually have a beer while working on something on my bench. Not today lol.

--

The teardown was really easy for anyone tentative on it. I completed the guide linked below in about an hour or so. That includes vacuuming dead bugs, mild cleaning, taking pics, borderline dry heaving, etc. You don't need to completely remove the feet on the bottom of the console. The fasteners are on the outermost corner of the pad so you can pry up that side without completely removing them and get the fastener out. I figure that out after the first one.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Xbox+Teardown/1308

How do people deal with rust on the metal tray? Remove it and electrolysis? Sand blast and paint? Fuck it and leave it.

hey all what's the best ds emulator out there?
i'm trying to play a fan translation of a ds game for the 1st time but don't know much about ds emulators as i have mulitple 3ds systems in my house and haven't had a need for an emulator till now.

hey all what's the best ds emulator out there?
i'm trying to play a fan translation of a ds game for the 1st time but don't know much about ds emulators as i have mulitple 3ds systems in my house and haven't had a need for an emulator till now.
DS emulation is... rough. DeSmuME is the best native PC one for the moment, but it's really not very good. Hacky and has lots of bugs and missing features. Drastic is android exclusive but pretty good. If you use an android emulator (idk which people recommend) and load drastic within that, it might be your best bet, unfortunately.

If you can wait, MelonDS is making a lot of progress and might be able to boot/play whatever game you're interested in in the not-too-distant future.

DS emulation is... rough. DeSmuME is the best native PC one for the moment, but it's really not very good. Hacky and has lots of bugs and missing features. Drastic is android exclusive but pretty good. If you use an android emulator (idk which people recommend) and load drastic within that, it might be your best bet, unfortunately.

If you can wait, MelonDS is making a lot of progress and might be able to boot/play whatever game you're interested in in the not-too-distant future.

ok thx! i just grabbed DeDmuME and is working. want to play ace attorney investigations 2 fan translation.

glad it works for you. DS emulation has had some groundwork laid down for a healthy future recently with MelonDS and Medusa, but they're both a ways off, so things are kind of in flux. If desmume is doing what you need, though, don't worry about it.

unrelated, SGDQ is going great. Lots of good runs. Pokemans starting soon, Banjo just finished up and went very well.

D.Lo

Ah internal power supplies = roaches. Seen some nasty stuff in my day cleaning old consoles...

That collection still offers alot of contents, in my opinion. I've got the Japanese version, which also includes Zero 2 Alpha, Zero 3 Upper, extra modes and character versions... Now, with the OSSC, I find myself playing the whole series on the Saturn alot more than before, but I still think it's a very solid package, all in all.
Yeah it's a solid package of the arcade versions that just fails at the final hurdle in its video presentation.

The PS2 collection is not inferior to MAME at all which runs slightly too fast due to the cpu wait-states not being emulated correctly for all CPS2 hardware. I have read quotes from Japanese and American tournament players over on the shoryuken forums over the years stating that the PS2 collection is the most accurate when compared to the arcade versions, the main downside is no 240p support. Don't listen to all the sheep telling you that the Saturn version of Zero 3 is the best, it still has cut animation for Rolento and Zangief and cropped resolution on the horizontal, its still very good though.
Lol 'sheep'. Alpha anthology looks like garbage on a CRT and has slightly busted scaling too. That's all there is to it, it's not a pleasant experience to look at it.

Zero 3 is the worst game in the trilogy anyway, Zero 2 is the pinnacle of old school Street Fighter II style gameplay, Zero 3 is great looking but halfway to a Vs game with all the busyness and systems and custom combo crap all over the place. And has a crappy relentless soundtrack vs Zero 2's brilliant jazzy Street Fighter tunes.

glad it works for you. DS emulation has had some groundwork laid down for a healthy future recently with MelonDS and Medusa, but they're both a ways off, so things are kind of in flux. If desmume is doing what you need, though, don't worry about it.

unrelated, SGDQ is going great. Lots of good runs. Pokemans starting soon, Banjo just finished up and went very well.

DS flash carts are great for running translations.
thanks, i never looked into it but will do.
Reminds me that I've been meaning to play the original 7th Dragon in English. I have always loved that Koshiro soundtrack.

speaking of emulation:
the creator of Rayman posted the SNES prototype to share
https://twitter.com/ocornut/status/881876378056085505

Alpha anthology looks like garbage on a CRT and has slightly busted scaling too. That's all there is to it, it's not a pleasant experience to look at it.

None of which has anything to do with my response to you claiming the PS2 ports have worse emulation than mame. I even said that the lack of 240p is a downside.

D.Lo

Really? 480p is not decent enough? It made not be 240p, but at least it's way better than 480i.
Very, very few CRTs support 480p, and if they did 480p would still look wrong since there would be no blank scanlines. No 240p is an absolute sin for a 240p game.

Timu

Very, very few CRTs support 480p, and if they did 480p would still look wrong since there would be no blank scanlines. No 240p is an absolute sin for a 240p game.
Oh, well, I guess you won't like a lot of PS2 collections then since many 240p games in those collections are in 480i.

D.Lo

Oh, well, I guess you won't like a lot of PS2 collections then since many 240p games in those collections are in 480i.
Nope, they're trash. Not worth the discs they are printed on. Some of them are on CD too, which makes a PS2 fat scream like a plane taking off when you play them.

If one is playing Alpha Anthology on an HD display, though, would 480p with scanlines theoretically be as good as 240p?
In theory, but from memory it also has broken scaling on the width. Like it forces it to 640 width or something with a hard digital scale? Then width adjustments just re-scale that? I was working in the industry when it was released and still have my review copy, so my dislike of the visuals is all from a contemporary perspective.

Fake edit:

Haha here's my contemporay review from 2006:
https://web.archive.org/web/2006081...?id=4896&sid=7181864f9bec32bf324b603aa457e723
Before I even realised why it looked like shit on my TV, I had no idea about 480i and poor scaling being the issue back then.

Put me on team Everything Is Better On The Saturn.
I have this beloved controller, which honestly vastly improved my PS1/2 2D game experiences since I got it like 10 years ago.

PA.35418.002.jpg

It's actually slightly poorly made and one of the pins on the plug got pushed in, requiring surgery. I've semi-permanently attached an extension cable now to protect the pins.

Galdelico

Nope, they're trash. Not worth the discs they are printed on. Some of them are on CD too, which makes a PS2 fat scream like a plane taking off when you play them.
That said, a few of them can output 240p: Art of Fighting Antology, Fatal Fury Battle Archives 1 and 2, World Heroes Antology, and the Japanese exclusive Fu'un Super Combo.

Take a look at this ongoing thread, over at SHMUPS forums, for a complete list of PS2 games that natively support 240p.

Galdelico

You're right, I never really cared and almost forgot about them. Those are a real shame. Such a huge amount of goodness, pretty much ruined by their dodgy video settings.

Are either of the SamSho compilations on PS2 or Wii 240p?

The master has to be M2's Sega Ages tho. Phantasy Star Complete Collection, Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box, Monster World Complete, Fantasy Zone Complete... the list goes on. Great deal @ the 2500 yen they originally retailed for too.

D.Lo

Are either of the SamSho compilations on PS2 or Wii 240p?

The master has to be M2's Sega Ages tho. Phantasy Star Complete Collection, Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box, Monster World Complete, Fantasy Zone Complete... the list goes on. Great deal @ the 2500 yen they originally retailed for too.
WTF Monster World was 2500? Jebus why wasn't I paying attention back then. I was put off by the Sega Ages releases which were crappy 3D remakes and then missed the good ones.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

Yeah it broke my heart when I saw that Taito Memories was like this, among others. Nice to have in principle, but disappointing to actually play.

I do have an OSSC on the way, I wonder if that would help with the PS2 plugged into a 1080p display?

Also I did not know about patching games to run in 240p, that's something to investigate!

SFA3 used to be my fave Alpha game(and second fave SF game after the SF3 series), but then I grew to appreciate SFA2 a lot more. CRT+240P gaming has made me appreciate the relatively low cost and pleasant picture quality it brings.

Opened my og Xbox...mother of god!

I bought it used and holy shit, literal shit. So much dust, so many dead roaches, so much roach shit. I immediately regret this decision lol. I'll put up some pics later. Mother. Of. God.

But no leaking acid!

You are making me worry about opening 2 of the used ones I bought. Especially one of them which was from the looks of the games I received... I would assume the owner was sort of filthy. I already washed the exterior but didn't open it up yet. Guess I'll take a look this weekend.

Peltz

Ah internal power supplies = roaches. Seen some nasty stuff in my day cleaning old consoles...

Yeah it's a solid package of the arcade versions that just fails at the final hurdle in its video presentation.

Lol 'sheep'. Alpha anthology looks like garbage on a CRT and has slightly busted scaling too. That's all there is to it, it's not a pleasant experience to look at it.

Zero 3 is the worst game in the trilogy anyway, Zero 2 is the pinnacle of old school Street Fighter II style gameplay, Zero 3 is great looking but halfway to a Vs game with all the busyness and systems and custom combo crap all over the place. And has a crappy relentless soundtrack vs Zero 2's brilliant jazzy Street Fighter tunes.

I like SFA3 and I play the PS1 version. Come at me GAF.

D.Lo

I like SFA3 and I play the PS1 version. Come at me GAF.
It's a very impressive port for the PS1, much better than all other Capcom fighters. And it is still a good game with heaps of great pixel art and great content. But is just so different from Zero 2, it doesn't really play (or sound) like a real Zero game, but like non-high-jump Vs game without the tagging.

ICO is 240p? That's interesting. Never played the original. I've only played the PS3 version... which I thought was just alright.
Yeah it started as a PS1 game so kept its video mode.

ICO is 240p? That's interesting. Never played the original. I've only played the PS3 version... which I thought was just alright.
yeah, i was looking at that ps2 240p list a while ago and ico was on there. when we went to Videosgamesny and we saw that weird dressing girl together, that's when i grabbed Tekken 5. ( for 240p tekken 2).

Pics of the nastiness, probably a dozen or so dead roaches, roach shit on everything.
sprinkle some cheese around it. maybe some roaches are still alive. lure them out!

I got y'all beat. I bought a BVM and a real roach went running out of it when I opened up the back of it. Thank fuck I was in my garage but I'm still paranoid one day it'll get into my house

dubc35

Wait, so is the brown stuff dead roaches?
On top of the motherboard is mostly dust. There's only the one dead roach in those pictures but there were more in the plastic pieces. The brown spots on top of the ribbon cable, HDD, and DVD drive are roach crap. It’s also pretty much everywhere else, lol.

Pics of the nastiness, probably a dozen or so dead roaches, roach shit on everything.

That shit is horrible, burn it burn it all down.

I've been thinking a lot about how I might store my handheld consoles in a practical and safe way, and decided on using these foam trays with the small cubes that can be plucked out.

I'm pleased with the results so far and would love to pick up some more trays to finish off my collection and perhaps use these for other things like controllers/accessories.

The one set back is price, the ones I have were picked up from a games hobby store.. with quite the mark up, so if anyone might know a better place to find these I'd love to know. [UK based]

That is pretty fucking cool.

*edit*

I'm going to add a story from my days as an assistant manager for a Funcoland. So we had this regular family that was just dirty as fuck. I mean every time they came in as soon as they opened the door their particular stink would just smack you across the face. They would trade shit in and it would always take some one hours of cleaning it to make it able to be sold. Like an N64 they traded in once that must have lived near a ferret cage because it was covered in ferret piss and like that wood shavings people use at the bottom of their crate.

So one day they come in with a nasty box with a filthy NES and a bunch of dirty as hell looking cartridges. So I barely touch anything getting it set up to test it right on the counter, plug it all in grab one of their games, open up the frontloader and slide the cartridge in. As the cartridge reaches the pin connectors I hear this sccchhllloooocccrunnnccchhh, and I'm like o_O what the fuck was that. I look up at the family and they're just kind of like what ever it makes that sound some times. I don't even bother to try and power the system on but back the cartridge out slowly and look at its connector. There, between the case, bisected by the pins with one leg still twitching and antennae wiggling around is a now dead cockroach, that was obviously just a live.

My reaction was to throw the cartridge into their box and scream for them to take their shit and get out of the store, emphasizing the NOW!! part of it. To which they seemed confused about why I was upset, which just lead to me screaming go go get out NOW take it GET OUT!!!! and letting them know if they ever brought anything like that in the store again they were banned. Probably not my best possible reaction.

My district manager showed up like 2 hours later to scream and yell at me and when I explained about the cockroaches he changed his tune, then it became ohh fuck them gross. You have to be careful in a store setting, once those fuckers get in, it's impossible to get rid of them and you don't want to be the used game store selling cockroach infested goods.

KC-Slater

back the cartridge out slowly and look at its connector. There, between the case, bisected by the pins with one leg still twitching and antennae wiggling around is a now dead cockroach, that was obviously just a live.

And Just like that, optical became my preferred media format.

JDH

As nasty as that is thanks for posting. I should take more before pics when I try to restore my used consoles. Can you post afters when they are ready? That's like eye candy for me lol

I thought this would be an interesting post for here. Rene from dbElectronics put up his blog post about the issues with running 3,3v flash media on a 5v device with out the proper electronics in place to handle it, he also talks about which devices have proper designs and what doesn't.

https://db-electronics.ca/2017/07/05/the-dangers-of-3-3v-flash-in-retro-consoles/#Everdrive_N8

Here's just the introduction to give people some info.

The use of 3.3V flash in retrogaming can lead to serious problems. Following a lengthy podcast discussion on the subject I felt it was important to elaborate on the matter by:

Giving technical explanations of the problem
Addressing common rebuttals
Listing devices which exhibit this problem
Let me be clear that using 3.3V Flash in a 5V system in of itself is not inherently bad; it can be done properly using level translators such as what has been done with the SD2SNES. What is bad, and what I am speaking out against, is directly connecting 3.3V Flash to 5V buses without proper interfaces such as level translators.

Let me also be clear that not all multicarts, Everdrives, and what not, are poorly designed. I own a few Everdrives myself and I enjoy them. Actually I take back the comment on multicarts, every single one I examined for this write-up was horrendous.

Vespa

35572907032_5cb2ce04f2_b.jpg

De-yellowed a Super Famicom today, it was in a horrible condition with even the grey plate needing treatment, came out well but I forgot the back port plate! Last time I de-yellowed a nameplate the 'Nintendo Super Famicom' lettering started to break down so this time I masked it out which is why it's still yellow around there. I'm thinking a weak hydrogen peroxide bath for that might be better than the creme.

dubc35

As nasty as that is thanks for posting. I should take more before pics when I try to restore my used consoles. Can you post afters when they are ready? That's like eye candy for me lol

Yeah I plan to take some after pics. Unfortunately it may be several days before I have time.

Vespa

I thought this would be an interesting post for here. Rene from dbElectronics put up his blog post about the issues with running 3,3v flash media on a 5v device with out the proper electronics in place to handle it, he also talks about which devices have proper designs and what doesn't.

Really interesting, thanks for posting that, Shin. I have one of the Mega Drive everdrives, not sure which one but it's definitely not one of the good ones. Hopefully, Krikzz will respond to this.

BTails

https://db-electronics.ca/2017/07/05/the-dangers-of-3-3v-flash-in-retro-consoles/#Everdrive_N8

Great read Shin. Might just stick with my Everdrive N8 for the time being, since it's listed as good, unlike my SNES and Mega...

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

Now this is fascinating. Just ordered a SD2SNES but I'm pretty sure I have one of those X7 Everdrives. Will probably replace it with an X5 now.

Yeah I thought Rene did an amazing job of explaining what was going on, why it was wrong, and what some good and bad examples were. Really well done.

I'm going to cross post this too here from the Retro AV thread, if you have SMS or Genesis cables from RCA you should check them to see if they have this amp which is really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khl6x0S_bV0

is there a cliffnotes version? will everdrives wreck ur shit in the long run?

Top Bottom