• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIME (PS4, Sony/Tequilaworks) is using Unreal Engine 4

Goddamn. Looks incredible...

I really hope Tequila deliver on this, would be a damn shame if it ended up like Deadlight. Is there any word on how deep Sony's involvement is on this? Does it go beyond just technical assistance? I know it's their IP, could they also be working on the gameplay portion of the game?

You know what I like about Unreal Engine 4 ? That we can't really tell that it's Unreal Engine 4, unlike UE3, which would be spotted from a mile away by a blind man.

Tain

You know what I like about Unreal Engine 4 ? That we can't really tell that it's Unreal Engine 4, unlike UE3, which would be spotted from a mile away by a blind man.

So you seriously would have identified Guilty Gear Xrd as being a UE3 game if it weren't for the logo?

Bumhead

Banned
I kind of wish they would go all out with this game and make it a full retail title. It pains me knowing that it will probably be pretty short considering it will be a PSN DD game.

I'm hoping that some of these PSN games are more frequently bundled at retail. It'd be nice to see them reach a wider net, and sometimes it's nice to have them as part of a physical collection. Such PSN/retail bundles have been fairly successful in the past, I believe?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
UE3 didn't really suffer from brown syndrome either. There were more than a few, but for every one that suffered from brown syndrome, there was another that was colourful and vibrant.

Yeah, it's just what developers doing not the engine fault, Dishonored, Alice Madness Return, Mass Effect, Mirror Edge and many other are definitely not "brown"

OryoN

I like that the engine is showing a lot of flexibility, even at this very early stage. One thing I hated about UE3, was that somewhat distinct look that nearly every game - until recently - had. I assume the tools were, initially, very limited as far as exploring various visual styles(unless devs added their own customizations... time consuming). Between Rime, Daylight, and Fortnite, things seem to be off to a much better start this time around.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I would not have expected UE4 for this. Good to see that the engine has some extra flexibility right out of the gate compared to UE3, which took years to get past the "UE3 look".

kiguel182

I hope this game is marketed heavily. If this plays as good as it looks is going to be amazing.

One of my most anticipated games right now.

Yeah, it's just what developers doing not the engine fault, Dishonored, Alice Madness Return, Mass Effect, Mirror Edge and many other are definitely not "brown"

Yep. I've never really understood the 'it only does brown' argument, especially when there's games like those you listed above and Asura's Wrath, Borderlands, BS: Infinite, Lollipop Chainsaw, Enslaved, Killer is Dead, etc...

Soupstorm

Neo Member
I can only hope that UE4 has somehow avoided having the completely shit movement model that UE3 has. Every single UE3 game I've EVER played has felt like ass to me.

[edit] This only goes for shooters now that I think about it, so RIME should be okay.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
do we know who own the ip?

At the end of the trailer it says:

Rime™ ©2013 Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Developed by Tequila Works, "Rime" is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. All rights reserved.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
At the end of the trailer it says:

Rime™ ©2013 Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Developed by Tequila Works, "Rime" is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. All rights reserved.

Thanks. it's Sony's then.

weird that they are having a new IP that is very similar to Ico/Team Ico games, maybe they gave up waiting on TLG and wanted something similar to that for the team Ico/SOTC/ico fans to buy PS4s.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks. it's Sony's then.

weird that they are having a new IP that is very similar to Ico/Team Ico games, maybe they gave up waiting on TLG and wanted something similar to that for the team Ico/SOTC/ico fans to buy PS4s.

Sony isn't exactly opposed to having tons of overlapping IPs.

I mean just look at how many platformers and third person shooters they have.

Sony isn't exactly opposed to having tons of overlapping IPs.

I mean just look at how many platformers and third person shooters they have.

I don't suppose there's any info on how deeply Sony are involved with development. Are they leaving it entirely up to Tequila and only providing assistance when needed or are they actively a part of the development process?

I'm literally on my knees praying it's the latter. I just don't trust Tequila to deliver a good game without Sony guiding every step of the way...

Top Bottom