• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RiME Review Thread

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Hmm.

This game sounds like something I want to love but don't in reality.

Will give it a go one day.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Neither PS4 Pro ( 30 fps ) or PC (60 fps ) achieves these targets atm. See other Rime thread.

Ah. Well, the former point still stands.

Edit: I'd actually take Agent's PC impressions with a small grain of salt as he's been experiencing performance issues in a variety of games lately. I've asked another GAFer to run a quick test. He has a 5820K and a 1080.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Lack of narrative as mentioned in the PC Gamer review.
What lack of narrative? What are they talking about? Did they ever heard about environmental storytelling? I mean, yes, at first you don't know what is going on but closer to the end you'll understand almost everything what this game trying to tell you in terms of story. How on earth they cannot see all this?

Tubie

I'm definitely interested in this now looking at the reviews/impressions.

Kinda bummed to find out the Switch version has no release date yet.

JaseC

What lack of narrative? What are they talking about? Did they ever heard about environmental storytelling? I mean, yes, at first you don't know what is going on but closer to the end you'll understand almost everything what this game trying to tell you in terms of story. How on earth they cannot see all this?

The review acknowledges that:

I just think Rime waits too long to make you invest in what's going on.

Ah. Well, the former point still stands.

Edit: I'd actually take Agent's PC impressions with a small grain of salt as he's been experiencing performance issues in a variety of games lately. I've asked another GAFer to run a quick test. He has a 5820K and a 1080.

Karak ACG ( great review btw ) also mentioned it. Anyways, great game but fps has to be adressed imo.

JaseC

Karak ACG ( great review btw ) also mentioned it. Anyways, great game but fps has to be adressed imo.

Ah, right. Aforementioned other GAFer says it hovers around 40-50fps for him at 1080p and max in-game settings, so, yeah, it does seem that the PC version needs more time in the metaphorical oven.

Edit: Oh, the max AA setting is SSAA (i.e. supersampling). 110+fps when using TXAA, stable 120fps when using FXAA. It looks like Agent and Karak just got caught off guard by the rare inclusion of supersampling.

It is not really the 6 from Gamekult that worries me but rather the review itself : Rime biggest fault is basically being a game that takes ideas left and right while never becoming its own thing.It was my biggest fear after the game first reveal.

besada

Banned
Stoked. Just pre-ordered on Steam. I thought I was going to have to plug my PS4 in and update it. This and Below were two of the games I was most excited about when the last consoles launched. I'm glad to be able to finally play it, and glad that it's getting reviewed well.

King_Moc

Banned
It is not really the 6 from Gamekult that worries me but rather the review itself : Rime biggest fault is basically being a game that takes ideas left and right while never becoming its own thing.It was my biggest fear after the game first reveal.

Nobody (well, except me) complained when Horizon did that. I'm sure it'll be fine.

mclem

Waiting on Digital Foundry to figure out *what* version I'll get (I'd prefer it on Switch, I just hope it's up to the requirements!), but I'm pretty sure that's enough praise to convince me to make the purchase.

Nobody (well, except me) complained when Horizon did that. I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'd say that's more of a negative with puzzley adventures given they in part thrive on 'aha!' moments which are less frequent if you've seen it all before - but for me, I've seen so much before in terms of puzzle design that it's really rare for me to see anything new, so old concepts in a new light are still pretty interesting.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The review acknowledges that:
Well, no way on earth is it a bad thing in my eyes.

The game is simply structured in a way to let you figure some stuff on your own or think about things you see and then, closer to the end, it explanes you what's going on and honestly, you can't guess what the game will tell you and it's a huge plus. I'll even go as far as to say that adventure alone is more important than the story here which is icing on a cake along with soundtrack and stunning visuals, art and design.

Patapwn

Gamestop review: 6/10

This review has me on the fence. With games of these kinds I think it's important to have a clear goal pushing the adventure along. For Journey it was getting to the mountain, for Ico and The Last Guardian it was about escaping with a friend, with Shadow it was about resurrecting your dead girlfriend. I suppose a game of this kind can be great, something like The Witness which was very abstract but then that games puzzle aspect was great. From my understanding the puzzles in this game are pretty basic which could result in the the experience collapsing for some.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Was hoping for meaningfully tricky puzzles to go with the gorgeous vistas. Not certain this delivers that, so will possibly wait for a sale on this.

paulogy

Nice, looking forward to another great exploration puzzler.

It's interesting how things turn out sometimes :)

e6fpVnc.png

Gestault

If the comments about the game trying to get around having an actual story are true, I feel like I'd react negatively too. Cohesive narrative (or at least a strong thematic progression) matters for me with this style of game. I love'em, but I'm also pretty picky.

The part I read that worries me is the parts where you're climbing with only one path and it's very automatic/unchallenging ala uncharted. And that there's parts where you're walking aimlessly trying to figure out where to go. From the Polygon review: "It gets even duller between the puzzles, which include lengthy wall-scaling sequences with a single acceptable path and practically no chance of failure. This isn’t the first game with this time-killing mechanic, but it’s prevalent enough here that I hope to never see it again in all my days.There are also big chunks where the player is expected to just lean on the thumbstick until the boy reaches something else interesting."

At this point what new product in the entertainment space, be it videogames, movies or music, are really doing ground breaking, truly unique things that are front-facing and obvious to the user? Especially in video games, as far as gameplay is concerned, the majority of products are just working to improve and build upon what something else before it has already done. Chances are nearly all practical ideas have been thought of and attempted before. Yeah, If we're talking about the tech behind it all this argument falls apart a bit, but I also don't expect a small indie dev to be pioneering that space either.

So yeah, I don't get this line of thinking. Even if Rime is a straight up clone of something else... Does it do it well? That's all that matters.

remember when everybody here was shitting on the devs, lmao good times.

GAF going to be GAF. Rime threads were pure hate for a long while based on nothing more than internet gossip. Even the disaster that is No Man's Sky had more positive thoughts here post release when people had actually played that turd. Shrug.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
Lol at the universally bloated scores from Spanish sites.

~7,5 seems the consensus ignoring those, still better than the interactive wallpaper Journey and the AI Fighting Simulator TLG, I'm ok with it.

Can't speak for the rest but 91 is not bloated at all for Hobby Consolas. Save for exceptions, they're the typical "game review scores go from 7 to 10" magazine. If the game is half good it will get a 90.

wouwie

Solid if somewhat polarising reviews. I pre-ordered so i'm curious how i'll feel about it. I didn't read any reviews but i got a general idea of the game's positive and negative aspects (according to the reviews) by reading this thread. So i have adjusted my expectations accordingly :)

DrewM1788

I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but does Rime have a preload option on PS4? Is it for midnight ET?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Without reading much of the reviews, it seems the major criticism seems to be the story. Since I am only interested in gameplay, this sounds like a really great thing for me :).

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
After Sony dropped publishing the game my hype for Rime dropped. It's really nice to see the game get reviewed well, I'll be picking it up.

Montresor

Is the (location spoiler)
rainy
world the last one ?

Fixed. Christ almighty bro. Learn how to spoiler stuff.

BTW, I personally do not care that I highlighted that spoiler. To me that's not a spoiler at all. But I think it's really poor form to word it the way you did. It's like saying the following in an Uncharted review thread:

Is the
ninth circle of hell area where you fight Joel and Ellie clone zombies
the last one?

Fixed. Christ almighty bro. Learn how to spoiler stuff.

BTW, I personally do not care that I highlighted that spoiler. But I think it's really poor form to word it the way you did. It's like saying the following in an Uncharted review thread:

Is the
ninth circle of hell area where you fight Joel and Ellie clone zombies
the last one?
Well I had no idea that there was multiple of them so I'd consider that a spoiler.....

Top Bottom