• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP to the Inventor of General Tso's Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Chinese chef Peng Chang-kue—the guy who created General Tso's Chicken—has joined the long list of beloved people the world has lost in 2016, Taiwan News reports.

The chicken dish can be traced back to 1952, when Peng first whipped up the golden ginger-garlic delight for a US Naval admiral named Arthur W. Rutherford. Rutherford asked Peng what the meal was called, and, in a stroke of inspiration, the chef decided to name it after respected Hunan war general Tso Tsung T'ang. The rest is history.

In 1973, Peng brought the recipe stateside and founded Peng's Garden Hunan Restaurant in New York City. Not too long after that, General Tso's got a rave review in the New York Times, deeming it a "stir‐fried masterpiece." Someone even made a documentary about the dish in 2014, The Search for General Tso, which talks about the origin story of the chicken masterpiece and the effect it has had on taste buds all across the world.

According to the Taiwan News, Peng died on Tuesday of pneumonia at the age of 98.

http://www.vice.com/read/the-man-wh...-the-world-has-died-vgtrn?utm_source=vicefbus

As if we didn't need another reason to say fuck 2016.

General Tso's Chicken is so good.

studyguy

Orange Chicken > Tso's Chicken but I digress... given a choice I'll get fat off of and regret eating either one just the same.

dabig2

Inventors of General Tso and Big Mac all in the same week? Damn, when we talk about capitalism and its effects on mass food consumption, those would be the 2 first dishes I would list as having a massive global impact over the years.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's interesting how different the name is depending on where you go.

I've seen it called stuff like General Chang's or General Gau's.

I'm also that asshole that requests white meat instead of dark meat for this dish!

OmegaFax

It's interesting how different the name is depending on where you go.

I've seen it called stuff like General Chang's or General Gau's.

I'm also that asshole that requests white meat instead of dark meat for this dish!

Definitely not General Chang.

225px-General_Chang.JPG

Kraftwerk

-Trump becomes president
-Creator of Big Mac dies
-Creator of General Tso's Chicken dies

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY WAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom