• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider info from Game Informer (Nixxes handling Xbox 360 version)

Awesome! It sounds like a great improvement in every front =]
I just hope they focus less on killing billions of dudes. Seeing a mass murderer Lara is kinda off putting.

You thought the story and character interactions were good in Tomb Raider 2013??
I think the story and character interactions allowed me to enjoy the game without giving a shit to those elements, which could have ended up detrimental to experience, but were just... There. It allowed me to focus more on getting to know the island, which was the best element of the game, by far, with pretty interesting level design. In that sense, I really liked the writing.

Guri

Same writer from the first game is the worst news though.

What? Rhianna is awesome. If you want to know more, read the comics. And let's not forget the first one was to establish the character. Crystal Dynamics did their own thing and Rhianna had to work on that. Now, she has way more experience in that universe and can expand. I truly believe she can do a great work.

EDIT: Gail Simone worked on some comics. Now she has moved to another project. She was never involved with any of the Tomb Raider games.

LordOfChaos

Who is Jonah?

I remember hating all other characters.

lara-and-jonah.jpg

pakkit

Banned
Same writer from the first game is the worst news though.

A lot of Pratchett's stuff got cut. I didn't like the surrounding characters, but Lara's backstory could have been considerably fleshed out. I hope that Pratchett was involved from the beginning, though, instead of having to affix a story to a pre-existing game.

jelly

Thanks, remember him. Characters were terrible last time, glad they stuck around the beach for most of the game.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Grimløck;150479588 said:
i like the idea of the environment as an antagonist.

I hope they were also referring to gameplay with that statement. I want traversing the environment to be the main gameplay focus, not combat.

Obviously, a greater emphasis on puzzles and actual tomb raiding sounds good on paper, but I'll need to see it to believe it. The reboot was solid but left me disappointed in a number of areas, I'm interested in seeing more of the sequel to find out how they'll be giving it more of its own identity (as well as living up to its namesake).

RoKKeR

Well if it's going to be cross gen, then this is the way to do it. While I dislike that we still have last gen counterparts for these games, Forza Horizon 2 is my favorite XBO game and one of the best looking games on the platform... And that's cross gen done in a similar fashion.

Looking forward to hearing more about this, sounds good so far.

Pachinko

This whole xbox exclusive thing is probably strongly dependent on this game going gold by the end of October so it can be released before Christmas.

I still believe that there were 2 factors in it coming out only on MS platforms - the game had to be in production at some point before the end of 2013. There's just no way Crystal Dynamics wasn't toiling away on at least some pre-production stuff. I think that's partially why the "definitive edition" even made it out, they wanted to see how while their engine ran on xb1/ps4. However, it took a solid 4 years to create "Tomb Raider" (the new one) and unless they wanted to have an even larger budget , an attempt at a sequel would probably take at least 3 possibly another 4 years to produce. That would put 2017 as the release date, which is just flat out too long after the previous installment. This is where MS enters the picture , whether square enix was shopping for a co-publisher or MS was just looking to pad out their 2015 release schedule is besides the point - fact is they came to some kind of agreement that meant the game had to be ready in only about 2 years , be exclusive to 1 platform and MS would probably support it's release in a variety of ways.

My assumption would go one step further - MS provides a few extra engineers to make sure CD gets the most out of the xb1 hardware - CD gains access to microsofts first party game testing facility (like with ninja gaiden 2 back in the day) to speed up the beta testing phase. As well , MS foots the bill for any marketing for the game in 2015 AND I'd suspect the xbox one bundle this coming christmas will be a halo 5 and a tomb raider bundle. MS then eats the cost of those bundle deals and perhaps even waves the normal licensing fees for every copy sold outside of that , returning the leftover profits to square.

When everything is said and done , square then simply has to make sure that CD gets the game done (and this is my worry, it'll be 'done' the same way assassins creed unity was 'done' this past fall) and avoid announcing any versions not for xbox until after christmas.

I figure there's a 6 month exclusivity agreement in place on top of that , so if the game releases late November it won't be out on PC or PS4 until late May. BUT, I feel an advantage for those that skip the xb1 release is that any issues that version has will be cleaned up by the time it's ported to other systems.

I honestly don't have an issue with the exclusivity thing, I just hope the game doesn't suffer too much getting rushed out in half the time compared to the first one.

I was rather indifferent about TR2013. It never quite clicked or caught me really, and I completed without feeling anything for the characters, story, or Lara. The gameplay was fairly good but without anything behind it I got bored and just went through the game like a machine. I did one tomb puzzle and it was so easy that I couldn't be bothered to go through the motions and do any more of them.

I can't remember anything about the original thinking back now, apart from getting washed up on a beach and a lot of screaming and moaning from Lara.

Saying that I have faith in the team at CD that they will improve, and will play this when it is a bit cheaper on PS4 or PC sometime next year.

Head.spawn

- CD talks about doing more with tombs and puzzles this time around.

Best news I've heard so far. Gameplay was solid in the previous game, it just seemed like they could've done a lot more with that aspect to make it reflect more of the older games.

nampad

Nixxes is good news for 360 players.

Not so happy about Rihanna Pratchett returning as writer, the story was atrocious just as the rest of the presentation. It shows how bad the writing was when I can't even remember who Jonah was.
I already have to listen to Camila Luddington's probably shitty performance again. Ok, to be fair, everyones performance sucked so maybe it was the voice director.

Crystal Dynamics really needs to work on the presentation aspect and then they have a real winner. From a gameplay perspective, I liked the reboot a lot. From what I have seen of the coverage trailer, they didn't learn anything from their mistakes though. Amateurish in your face camera work again.

Guri

Nixxes is good news for 360 players.

Not so happy about Rihanna Pratchett returning as writer, the story was atrocious just as the rest of the presentation. It shows how bad the writing was when I can't even remember who Jonah was.
I already have to listen to Camila Luddington's probably shitty performance again. Ok, to be fair, everyones performance sucked so maybe it was the voice director.

Crystal Dynamics really needs to work on the presentation aspect and then they have a real winner. From a gameplay perspective, I liked the reboot a lot. From what I have seen of the coverage trailer, they didn't learn anything from their mistakes though. Amateurish in your face camera work again.

Like someone else said, Rhianna's work was cut. She works on the comics (which are very interesting) and her experience in the universe can help make an even better sequel.

this reminds me, i have to catch up on the comic series. Only read the first couple issues, Jonah was in them if i remember right.

Mista

Banned
Great info. The game is going to be bigger than all the previous TR games. All I wish for is that the story doesn't suck like the previous TR + I hope the game have its own atmosphere. I dont wanna play it and say: "Hey, thats exactly like TLoU" Please no. Anyways, good thing that two teams working on the two different versions.

Green Yoshi

I wonder how good (or bad) the 360 version will be. Seems like it's getting the "red-headed stepchild" treatment....at least from Crystal Dynamics.

As a 360-owner, I'd really like to play the game.

But if it's not possible to adjust it for the old hardware (Hello, Shadow of Mordor!), then just cancel it on 360. But don't rip off people with a bad port of a fantastic game.

martino

Liked tr a lot for as an free to explore arena corridor connected shooter
This list is what i expected from the licence after the first leak...will it really traduce in the game this time ? I hope it will.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Is it definitely timed? I see the links posted on the page prior but in December it was revealed MS would be publishing it. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...icrosoft-will-publish-rise-of-the-tomb-raider

And they compare the deal to two other, console, exclusives.

Being a timed exclusive deal does not necessarily mean that a port does happen afterwards. Maybe Capcom would technically be allowed to make PS4 version of Dead Rising now, but just don't think it's worth it? Such a deal probably almost never is really timeless, as long as the console vendor doesn't outright own the game (for instance in Bayonetta 2's case this seems to be true). Mass Effect for instance is a game that comes to mind that was obviously not an unlimited exclusive, or Resident Evil Remake, though both of these games were "exclusive enough" to stay off competing systems for so long that a direct port wasn't a good idea anymore.

EDIT: The bigger emphasis on puzzles and the notion of the environment being the main obstacle suddenly makes the game interesting for me. Though I still fear the shooter / Uncharted-style Hollywood-gaming-influence.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Fixed. :p

I thought Rhianna Pratchett did a bang up job with the first one so excited to see where she takes it from here.

The story in TR 2013 was atrocious. Pratchet did fantastic work on Heavenly Sword, but TR was horrible. Thank god the game was incredibly fun, because I totally checked out of the story. Poorly written and acted cliches and stereotypes, with Lara being the only fairly fleshed out character. Everything else in the narrative was just so poor.

UrbanRats

The first game was a decent action game, but a very bad Tomb Raider, in my book.

I still want to keep an open mind and positive attitude toward this, especially since they seem to want to put more emphasis on puzzles, but i'm not convinced yet.

Anyway yeah, i'll wait for the inevitable PC or Ps4 version to come out.

I'm not sure why MS thought this was a good way to spend their money, if it's so obvious the game is only a timed exclusive, i can't see it being the reason to spend 350$ for a lot of people.

ArjanN

The story in TR 2013 was atrocious. Pratchet did fantastic work on Heavenly Sword, but TR was horrible. Thank god the game was incredibly fun, because I totally checked out of the story. Poorly written and acted cliches and stereotypes, with Lara being the only fairly fleshed out character. Everything else in the narrative was just so poor.

From what I understand TR2013 was written by a bunch of people.

I wanna believe that puzzle and platforming stuff but my bullshit detector just overloaded.

Plus if they don't overhaul the platforming system from the first game it would be lacking any and all challenge anyway, making it pointless again.

ArjanN

Pratchett is back? Writing will suck all just like everything she has touched before.

IMO the main weakness in TR2013 was with the character dialogue which I don't think was even written by her. The other main issue was the whole cognitive dissonance in that the gameplay makes you a mass murderer very quickly, but that's really more of a design issue.

dlauv

Seems like it will be more of a Tomb Raider game. I hope TR's focus on puzzling doesn't detract from its mainstream appeal. If it's anywhere near the quality of the last game, it deserves to be bought bought bought.

I loved TR2013, but I definitely welcome a more classically TR approach. If they can mesh the puzzling into the action, then that would be fantastic. Immediately, I'm thinking of the belltower scene in TR2013.

I don't really care about the writing. Aside from hearing Lara banter with her teammates on her comlink, which is generic action banter fun, story has never really been that interesting in these games. Remember demon Lara with the wings? lol. In TR2013, I enjoyed the artifact and memoir collecting though. I thought some of the cutscenes with her friends had some sentimentality to them, which was welcomed. Even though half of the cast was kind of horror-movie stereotypical. The "ludonarrative dissonance" in terms of violence was glaring tho.

Some of the concern posts in this thread have me rolling. Say what you want about the writing or puzzles or whatever, but the last game was excellent regardless and a very strong GOTY candidate.

Very excited for this.

Top Bottom