• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC listed as January 29 on Amazon France

jrcbandit

Waiting until March/April would be a huge mistake. There are a ton of PC/PS4 owners, and they will get their fill in March with Uncharted 4 since the TR reboot basically follows the Uncharted formula. The beginning of February seems like a good spot to have enough breathing room before U4.

Genio88

Well if that's the case then i'm gonna replay it on my GTX 980 soon, I loved it on Xbox One, on PC will just be glorious

Rymuth

Plus isn't Just dance not that big anymore, remember a game with the top selling sku being on the Wii outsold Tomb Raider.
Wanna know what's even funnier? A last gen game version outsold a current gen exclusive

10 (08) 360 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
11 (10) XBO HALO 5: GUARDIANS (MICROSOFT)

But sure, the 'usual suspects' crawl out and try to downplay the inclusion of the Xbox360 version of Tomb Raider. Yeah, okay...

Hmm, releasing it early on PC might get me to get it Day 1 (at somewhere with good discounts). If they want to continuously delay it til March or April, then I can delay my purchase longer too.

It's up to you SE, the earlier you release, the less annoyed I am.

NeoRaider

image.php

Not sure what are you trying to prove? You like it??

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Well....Curious to see if this hits that soon.

Wouldn't be opposed, personally.

Hmm, releasing it early on PC might get me to get it Day 1 (at somewhere with good discounts).

Uh....I wouldn't place my bets on this, lol.

hawk2025

So.

What if...

Part of the deal included only having a Xbox Store version for Windows 10, rather than a typical Steam release? :O

NeoRaider

So.

What if...

Part of the deal included only having a Xbox Store version for Windows 10, rather than a typical Steam release? :O

Lol, please no!
I think that Microsoft is only publishing Xbox versions, and SE is publishing it for PC/PS4.
Also game was found in Steam database few days ago.

So.

What if...

Then the game will sell like shit on the PC as well. Then again this is MS/SE we are talking about, not one decision about ROTTR has been a good one.

Raist

Banned
Let's have fun with Amazon

UK - not listed
Spain - not listed
Italy - not listed
Canada - not listed
France - 29th Jan. 2016
Germany 1st Apr. 2016
US - 31st Dec. 2016

dreamfall

The sooner, the better. Really loved the game on XBO, can't wait to replay it on PC. The team deserves more credit- they put out a great action game with much better puzzle design elements, and are getting closer to creating a TR game that old school fans could potentially love. The hubs were huge, and there was a ton of fun exploration and collectibles to scavenge for. I liked it. A lot! Can't wait for more people to play it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I'd say RotTR was heavily marketed. I remember seeing lots of TV adverts, posters, and sponsorship during sporting events.

Is there really an idea that this thing was sent out to die?

jrcbandit

I know many people that own a PS4 and a PC.
The only people I know who don't own both are ones who only buy Madden and COD as their only games each year, maybe throw in an extra sports title or two... I'd agree that the target audience for Tomb Raider who have a gaming pc most likely also own a PS4.

March 18 does sound like an ideal release date, just like releasing the same day as Fallout 4.

LifEndz

I thought it was spring for pc and a year for PS4. Maybe there was a clause that allowed for earlier release if sales failed to meet a certain threshold. Either way, I'll pick it up used on PS4. Not giving SE my money for such a horrible decision.

I'd say RotTR was heavily marketed. I remember seeing lots of TV adverts, posters, and sponsorship during sporting events.

Yeah, because they launched it on the exact same day fallout launched and in between BO and SW

Nice try at revisionism. Tomb Raider was released on two platforms. You're so silly, el oh el.

Touche. I find putting tomb Raider against one of the best selling arcade racers and dance games. It's not like just dance has sold poorly for the last 6 years straight. El ohhhh elll

Yeah, but they still could have marketed it better. Uncharted getting delayed shouldn't have changed their marketing strategy if they're going to spend so much money getting exclusivity.

I just think they were counting on an Uncharted vs. Tomb Raider battle for this year. The press would've been talking a lot about it which would've been free marketing. They could've also used quotes in commercials from sites that said TR is better than Uncharted. That delay was a major curveball.

Yes, although it's largely due to the fact that it was released the same day as Fallout 4. And some have brought up questionable decisions like how the TR bundle was exclusive to Best Buy and only sold in the 1tb variety.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Day 1 on PC or PS4. Whichever comes first.

Just didn't want to buy it for my Xbox One. Under-powered being the biggest reason. Second reason is I think they really did a disservice to a lot of fans with the deal.

Kezen

Banned
Considering it's a cross-gen game I wonder about the system requirements even though they are meaningless 99% of the time. I doubt they will bother to make the PC version scale as low as the 360 version, it's not really needed at this point with the Xbox One being already entry level in the PC gaming world.

My expectations :
R7 260/360 + Any recent I5 (Sandy and up) for an Xbox One-matching experience.
VRAM could be an issue though, it's difficult to predict VRAM usage by looking at screenshots but it's entirely possible 3gb of VRAM are needed for the same textures used on Xbox One. A 750ti should provide the same experience aside from textures perhaps.
If 3gb of VRAM are truly needed as I suspect then a 4gb 270 will more than suffice.

Regarding requirements I can see the following turning out true :
Windows 7/8.1/10 64 bits (64 bits OS mandatory)
Intel I5 760 / AMD Phenom X4 955 as minimum CPU specs listed, not necessarily "needed".
GTX 660 / Radeon 7850 as minimum GPU, a bit steep considering it could already outmatch the Xbox One but this seems to be the norm for AAA games these days.
6gb of RAM
2gb of VRAM minimum
Directx 11

Considering this will most likely be a game part of AMD's Gaming Evolved program it will have relatively steep recommended requirements.
I7 3770K / AMD 8350
GTX 780 / R9 290
8gb of ram
3gb of VRAM required.
Directx 11/12

I'm sure they want to release it before Uncharted 4.

Yes good point. it could get overshadowed somewhat in the U4 hype. I'll be buying a PS4 for Uncharted 4 and really looking forward to it. Would be better to play Rise of on my PC before.

opinions on PC market and console market differ quite a lot plus you have the school of thought saying these two games releasing close can generate hype/sales but I'd say they'd still want to avoid U4 hype even if its just PS4 vs a low key PC release of Tomb Raider. Usually I'd say PC and console market don't interfere much and we don't know if PC was even ready for Nov 2015. They usually out source PC and Playstation versions of Tomb Raider

Top Bottom