• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Review Thread

Walpurgis

Banned
nSG7c15.png

Hahaha!

I just got an Xbox One so I'm in. GCU will make this an easy buy, I'll probably even be able to trade it back or sell it for more than I ended up paying for it.

I'm getting paid to play games too reviewers! 10/10 would do it again.

Grief51

Banned
Wow really good reviews so far! I'm starting to become hyped for the release. I love the reboot. The consensus among all the reviews seems to be this is basically an evolved version of TR2013.
I'm lucky enough to have a XB1 kinda feel bad for PS4 and pc players though. The hype for Rise would be a lot higher, if everyone could play from the start, instead of this timed exclusive BS.
Big probs to Crystal Dynamics for what sounds like an excellent product.

Linkyn

Getting the sense if you didn't like the last one, this won't change your mind. I'm out then.

I like TR 2013, and while it was flawed, it was so in a way that can be forgiven for new IPs or reboots. The core gameplay is absolutely sound, it was more the presentation (especially facial animation, or lack thereof, as well as VO) and the story that bothered me.

Still, one always hopes that the sequel is going to smooth over most of those things. In that sense, hearing that it's mostly more of the same is a bit disappointing. That said, I doubt this'll stop me from buying the PC version next year.

Barely any story - overblown story. Reviewers, I am confused.

I'd rather have less cutscenes with the back story in the diaries. I don't play a game like this for long cutscenes about unimportant things I don't need to care about. At least this way its optional for the people who want all the story.

I'm too busy updating this thread to actually read the damn reviews :(

Do they mention if the story is improved? I found it to be complete dogshit in 2013

Rembrandt

Banned
Grimløck;184750778 said:
bwhahaha that dude's comedic gold

Normally his tweets are solid but this one definitely isn't funny enough to be posted endlessly in here, imo.

Great reviews, though. I loved the first so I'm excited for this. What a turnaround for the series.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How bloody is it? Is it standard TPS with some death, or crazy house of horrors like the first TR with insane random death animations?

I'd like to play in the living room while my kids are around. Uncharted was fine (but sweary but ok) but TR2013 was definitely not. Would probably have been fine without posts through heads etc.

Sitris

Excellent reviews! Seriously impressive looking game they have made here, happy to see they have delivered the goods.

Lime

Eurogamer puts it the best way:

Nevertheless - and as fans will surely have predicted - it's when the game simply remembers to be Tomb Raider that it's at its best. In nine optional Challenge Tombs and at a couple of junctures in the story, Lara finds herself gingerly exploring lonely ruins, gorgeous in their centuries-old decay. Here she solves cleverly assembled, if relatively simple, physics puzzles to gain access to a treasure trove. (In this game, the treasures are new skills - the designers clearly knew what they were getting right.) Quiet descends, all the firefights and resource nodes and progress tickers recede, and the game drinks from a well too few contemporaries bother to seek out. Just a woman and her wit, unlocking the secrets of the distant past.

It's not the lip-service the 2012 game paid to the tomb-raiding concept, but it's still barely more than a sideline for nouveau Tomb Raider. Given the tombs' strong flavour and Crystal Dynamics' comfortable command of the form, why couldn't there have been more of them, with harder puzzles, and why couldn't they have occupied some of the space filled with empty battles and vacant scrambles in the storyline? Was it a lack of corporate confidence or a surfeit of bitter experience that led to tomb raiding taking a back seat? I'm not sure I want to know the answer.

RedRum

Banned
Great reviews. Going to have to wait though. Fallout and SW's will take precedence for the next few months.

Lingitiz

I'd be pretty surprised if this beat Fallout considering the kind of scores previous Bethesda games have received.

There are some serious red flags over Fallout 4 that have a lot of people wary. I wouldn't be surprise if it gets dinged hard or goes the other way and gets mass critical acclaim.

Adam M

My review is not completely ready yet, but I really liked the game. Of course if you didn't care about the 2013 reboot, forget about that one as it's the same basic gameplay just more refined and detailed basically.
A few technical issues though, the aliasing was already well known, but the framerate can be a bit low at times. It's never (imho) so bad that it's a detriment to the gameplay, but it's clear that at times the devs really wanted to do too much with the X1's hardware. And they certainly did a lot considering how big some environments can be, and how many effects (lighting, particles, motion blur and others are top notch) they are pushing.
Can you at least post few framerate analysis?

Bold One

really good reviews, sounds like Lara development isn't being held back by cardboard cut-outs for supporting characters

Her voice acting is sill nails on a chalkboard to my ears though

Unlikely. Doesn't really matter how high it scores, unless it hits mid-high 90s it's not going to trump MGS5/Witcher/Bloodborne.

That's not quite how GOTY works, it's not based on Metacritic - it's handed out by individual press. This looks like it could easily be in GOTY contention at a lot of the major publications

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Good to see a lot of positive reviews. Loved the first game and can't wait to play this one. It was one of the games that made me decide on an XB1. I don't want to wait for the PC/PS4 version.

Unlikely. Doesn't really matter how high it scores, unless it hits mid-high 90s it's not going to trump MGS5/Witcher/Bloodborne.

It'll definitely be a contender. It may not win a bunch of awards but it's absolutely going to be part of the conversation.

naitosan

Wow, great reviews! My copy got shipped and I just finished Assassin's Creed Syndicate (awesome game). I'm excited to start playing Rise of the Tomb Raider! :D

Hard to say. It looks good, but it takes a bit more than that in order for it to seriously compete with Witcher 3 or MGSV.

Witcher 3 is the hands down king for GOTY IMO. Dont see how anything could beat it.

I just kinda more meant it seems high enough quality to be in the convo / short list for some people

Trace

Banned
That's not quite how GOTY works, it's not based on Metacritic, it's handed out by individual press. This looks like it could easily be in GOTY contention at a lot of the major publications

I'm talking about general acclaim. I would be very surprised if a major publication handed GotY to a game like Tomb Raider over MGS/Witcher/Bloodborne.

Sakura

There are some serious red flags over Fallout 4 that have a lot of people wary. I wouldn't be surprise if it gets dinged hard or goes the other way and gets mass critical acclaim.

I guess.
But I didn't think Skyrim was a very good game and it's in the mid-90s. We'll see I suppose.
I can't imagine why they would bungle with the formula so much when it was already doing good.

Ugh. The better this reviews the worse I'm going to feel. It deserves better than to have buried like a JRPG behind the industry's biggest brand name IPs with massive marketing budgets. A lot of blame is going to be placed on the very negative reception the game had at its reveal because of the exclusivity window, too. Those are 100% avoidable corporate decisions wrecking a game's destiny, and it sucks.

Top Bottom