• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Review Thread

tuxfool

Banned
Well I have only played the reboot, but the story was incredibly derivative (like you said that may not the worst thing in the world.) The biggest offenders however were the characters and dialogue, both of which were pretty bad and sometimes cringe inducing backed up by some inconsistent VA.

Somebody in another thread mentioned that he considered Lara the best written and acted in this game. Given her previous performance, makes me think that not much has improved on the character end.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I would be surprised if it is lower than 90 considering who is working on it.

Sorry, off topic. I am getting really bad at that.

It's not out of the ordinary for conversation to gravitate towards that. There is so much to be discussed about positive reviews, and given the fact that the game neither dipped nor surpassed the previous entry in terms of META, controversy is at an all-time low.

UC didn't immiate mechanics and style from TR. Maybe, as I said, the general themes and ideas were inspiration but that can't be certain.

TR reboot clearly is very heavily inspired directly by UC.

Uh yea, I already said that nu-TR has riffed everything from UC wholesale? Why do you think I'm against Uncharted here? I prefer Uncharted over nu-TR by miles.

But you also apparently didn't even bother to read my post.... never said anything about winning.

And what do you mean mechanics weren't imitated by Uncharted? Did you do any platforming in Uncharted? Because almost all of that platforming is a direct copy out of TR Legend. The only thing they really removed is the timing of the platforming which was required in TR Legend, which was all automated in Uncharted (for the better of it being focused on shooting).

Maybe the only aspect of the platforming that is not riffed from TR Legend is how frequently you can shoot while hanging from a ledge. But everything else platforming is pretty much wholesale used from TR Legend mechanics.

If you actually go back and play TR: Legend, you can see a game progression and game structure, and platforming elements, that are riffed directly into the first Uncharted game. The game came out in 2006 and Uncharted a year later in 2007.

Importantly, many of the prototype videos we had seen in 2006 for Uncharted did not include many of those platforming elements that TR Legend used and abused. But the final game had a ton of that (e.g. the first platforming area, or climbing up the Fortress is straight-line copying of the platforming from TR Legend).

Uncharted borrowed a hell of a lot of concepts from TR (the wall climbing you do immediately at the start of the game, for example, is straight out of a TR game, you could even call it Prince of Persia style climbing, even though it is far closer to TR Legend). As well as the other things I mentioned with the pace of the story progression, and the fantastical explanation to "treasure" at the end. The only different thing about the ending maybe is Drake saves the world and gets the girl, while Lara defeats mercenaries and finds out more about her mother.

There's no way for someone to have actually played the 6th/7th gen TR trilogy and not see direct influences into Uncharted, especially the platforming concepts, which are riffed straight out of TR Legend. The only other game with similar platforming (ledge shimmying and rope swinging, and "elite" ledge jumps) is Prince of Persia on 6th gen.

The main things that Uncharted did differently, and made the series it's own experience, is the far, far higher production values, animation and characterization, and the focus on shooting over platforming puzzles.

And they did them so well it became something completely new. But that still doesn't discount how much was borrowed from 6th/7th gen TR to round out the adventure experience with excellent, though much more basic, platforming concepts.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I liked TR2013 more than the Uncharted games. They're pretty different though - TR is more open, UC is more linear with more scripted sequences. The combat is a lot like UC, but UC also borrowed from games like Gears of War, so I don't know.

I also think TR needed a reboot. As good as TR Legend may or may not have been, there wasn't much interest in it, the reviews were decent-to-good at best, it didn't do that great, TR didn't have much steam as a franchise or Lara as a character by that point.

Bioshocker

So I bought this after some hesitation. The Black Friday sales here in Sweden never included Rise of the Tomb Raider (too new, I guess), but I bought it any way.

The Tomb Raider reboot was good but I was never that enthusiastic about it. So far I am enjoying ROTTR more. It's a gorgeous looking game for sure, and the controls are great. Early on it actually feels a bit like the old Tomb Raider I once loved on the Saturn.

I have just reached
the fight with the bear
but so far so good.

Fawk Nin

I've played about 5 hours and I'm absolutely loving this game so far.

I have one issue though, I'm finding the combat (particularly guns but also bow sometimes) very difficult to control. I didn;t have this problem in the reboot but I just can;t seem to find a comfortable sensitivity for the aiming. Whenever a few or more bad guys appear at once I find it pretty tough to pick them off, which isn;t usually a problem for me.

Has anyone else found this to be a problem?

I'm considering dropping to the easiest combat difficulty as it has aim assist, even though I usually hate doing such a thing.

Chris1

I've played about 5 hours and I'm absolutely loving this game so far.

I have one issue though, I'm finding the combat (particularly guns but also bow sometimes) very difficult to control. I didn;t have this problem in the reboot but I just can;t seem to find a comfortable sensitivity for the aiming. Whenever a few or more bad guys appear at once I find it pretty tough to pick them off, which isn;t usually a problem for me.

Has anyone else found this to be a problem?

I'm considering dropping to the easiest combat difficulty as it has aim assist, even though I usually hate doing such a thing.
I never had an issue personally but people are reporting input lag which may be the cause of your problems?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Easy is more fun IMO. Tomb Raider always had aim assist through the franchise and to me it's just a demonstration of how badass Lara is. Plus it lets you take more risks and get more creative to mix things up in combat so it is more fun. If I want serious action with refined skill I don't play TR, especially as this has some input lag in how it handles stick movements.

Fawk Nin

Easy is more fun IMO. Tomb Raider always had aim assist through the franchise and to me it's just a demonstration of how badass Lara is. Plus it lets you take more risks and get more creative to mix things up in combat so it is more fun. If I want serious action with refined skill I don't play TR, especially as this has some input lag in how it handles stick movements.

Yeah i think i might drop down to easy just to add to my enjoyment of the game. I'll blame the input lag to cushion my ego :p

Fawk Nin

Yeah i think i might drop down to easy just to add to my enjoyment of the game. I'll blame the input lag to cushion my ego :p

Don't mean to bump this thread again but I went back to play this game and test the input lag and it's awful. I don;t know how I didn't realise this was the issue before. Thankfully it only really affects combat and I'm still having a blast with the rest of the game but dropping to easy combat for the aim assist helps a lot. Surely they will patch this at some point?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Why the necro?

He really, really wanted to get a dig in at Uncharted and start some vs shenanigans.

Personally, Tomb Raider is awesome. Uncharted is awesome. I get to enjoy two awesome games, instead of just one. It's a win/win for me.

I'm looking forward to snagging this on the PS4 when it releases. I want to sit the box next to my Uncharted collection. I replayed Tomb Raider 2013 on PS4 about a month or two back in anticipation.

Top Bottom