• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will have 3 modes on PS4Pro

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why the fuck didn't they tell us this during the conference?

Because its up to individual teams to make the decision as to what works best for their project.

You can't mandate this stuff because there are too many corner-cases and situations where a rote approach is just red-tape to deal with.

Guy Legend

Why can't a powerful new console do both the last 2 options together? Why is that a choice...

Maybe Scorpio will be able to pull it off.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really hope not many games do this. Part of the reason I left PC gaming was because I can't stop changing settings, even just when I move the camera. Decisions like this paralyze my ability to simply play a game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The bare minimum a dev can do is one mode, 4K/4K-ish downsampled for 1080p TVs.

Two modes should be common, I hope. 4K/4K-ish mode and a 1080p specific mode (be it enhanced in terms of effects or framerate).

Three like this is perfect. 4K/4K-ish, 1080p-extra-pretty, 1080p-extra-framerate.

zsynqx

Not every game will support it. Type of Pro support appears to vary game-by-game.
Because its up to individual teams to make the decision as to what works best for their project.

You can't mandate this stuff because there are too many corner-cases and situations where a rote approach is just red-tape to deal with.

I get that, but they could have at least told us that some devs will choose to go this route

Chamber

love on your sleeve
12pDEWN.gif

Pretty nice way to handle things. I'll take the 1080p graphics whore settings.

- 4K mode, the big resolution and developers made the optimal choices

- 1080p high framerate, the game locked at 60 FPS

- 1080p bells and whistles, 30 FPS locked with every processing technique pushed to the max

That sounds good to me

It does. Hope the bells and whistles are significant.

Sciortino

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. Every dev should go with this approach with their future games from now on for the PS4 Pro. Square please do this for FFXV.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I really hope not many games do this. Part of the reason I left PC gaming was because I can't stop changing settings, even just when I move the camera. Decisions like this paralyze my ability to simply play a game.

The granularity of options on PC is something else, still. I have 'fond memories' or literally spending hours tweaking and resetting NMS on PC... Two or three modes is perfectly manageable by comparison, especially for a 'Pro'-targeted model.

Why can't we just have fully configurable graphics options like pc instead of modes? Or do they figure the average console gamer couldn't handle that?

LordOfChaos

Frig, nice, I hope this becomes the standard way of doing things. If it is, I may just get a Pro, but I'm still doubting the barely changed Jaguar cores can make most 30fps games 60fps.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
- 4K mode, the big resolution and developers made the optimal choices

- 1080p high framerate, the game locked at 60 FPS

- 1080p bells and whistles, 30 FPS locked with every processing technique pushed to the max

That sounds good to me.
Hey heeeey! Now we're talkin'! Now they're speaking my language.

Neo jus went from "nah, I'm good..." to "Hmm.. maybe".

MORE OF THIS PLEASE. PLEASE. Give me a real reason to buy this fucking thing.

Top Bottom