• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will have 3 modes on PS4Pro

Tyaren

the only reason this is possible with NEO is because of its iterative nature. Consoles would never have had these options before regardless because of the fixed hardware aspect

The Nioh demo on the PS4 lets you also chose between 1080p, 30fps and 720p, 60fps.

farisr

The Nioh demo on the PS4 lets you also chose between 1080p, 30fps and 720p, 60fps.
And it can look pretty bad as a result. Hopefully it turns out better when it's finally released, but that's just a few months away if they're sticking to the 2016 release date.

IvanJ

Banned
More options is always good.

To me, it's irrelevant. I start the game, press X to play and that's it.
Whatever options are default, I play with them.
I guess my launch PS4 will default to the basic settings, which is perfectly fine.

c0de

And people told me that nobody would care about that game when I said they should take this game as an example for the power difference between neo and Xbox One.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

as i've told you before a million times, they calculated this specifically because of their game design. lowered the rendering load requirements for the graphical assets, yet had only a few enemies on screen at a time for CPU leverage, which allowed for them to optimize for both modes to prioritize maximum GPU or CPU rendering resources.

That is not the case for a billion other developers who are going to be pushing the hardware in completely different ways, where they cant just take some GPU rendering off and get significant amount of frames back.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
God I hope they release any kind of statistic in a year or so, showing us if more people used the unlocked or 30fps with all graphical features on.

bombshell

I have posted several times in the past that I hoped Neo, now PS4Pro, would provide decent benefits for 1080p TV owners, because I have no intentions of replacing my TV with a 4K TV for several years.

So this makes me very happy and I hope it becomes standard on PS4Pro that devs tune their games for both 1080p and 4K TVs.

When it comes to the question of choosing between a 1080p30 mode with maxed graphics and a 1080p45-60 with lesser graphics I will prefer that devs focus on the maxed graphics mode over the variable framerate mode.

Slaythe

I can't say the trailer showcased any improvement over the original game........

I have it on Pc and I'd argue it looked worse (because of youtube compression most likely).

Gonna be hard to sell "4K ! " with upscaled rendering and youtube lol.

Show us the boosted 1080p.

Dredd97

it's weird, that all the shit MS got (quite rightly) for moneyhatting that years exclusivity of this game, it's actually worked out for sony as in the long run this alone is going to convince peeps the PS4pro is a good investment (and the Tomb Raider game is a title to show the system off)...

it's weird, that all the shit MS got (quite rightly) for moneyhatting that years exclusivity of this game, it's actually worked out for sony as in the long run this alone is going to convince peeps the PS4pro is a good investment (and the Tomb Raider game is a title to show the system off)...

Yea, it's pretty funny.

And hell, I was on the same train, trying to think of ways SE could sell the game a year later. But I have to admit, 3 different options targeting the Pro crowd is pretty damn smart.

dr_rus

Both are a problem. The Jaguars are slower than equivalent-clocked ARM cores, which is highly absurd in a home console. The GPU however was already barely adequate for 1080p and now they are going to tell it to render 4 times more pixels which is what 4K is with only twice the overall GPU power. Yeah, no. That's not happening.

The CPU is hardly even used for rendering these days so the Jaguars should be enough for 1080p/60 - in fact, we know that they are as we have many PS4 games running at 60 fps - the problem is the GPU as these games tend to lower the resolution to 900p or even 720p to achieve this framerate. The resolution being lowered to achieve the target framerate is a clear sign of a GPU bottleneck.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I haven't read through the whole thread so I am assuming its true. If so its a great idea. Just give people the choice, it should be standard for PS4 Pro and Scorpio.

NeoRaider

I'm still confused. In this case, is 4k mode native 4k?

Doesn't look like a native 4K to me:

image_rise_of_the_tomb_raider_20_year_celebration-32969-3661_0001.jpg

image_rise_of_the_tomb_raider_20_year_celebration-32969-3661_0002.jpg

I am also not sure about the settings it looks like Medium to me.

Arklite

Hope they get close to steady 60 frames because that's going to be a real gameplay boost. TR Definitive's framerate on PS4 fluctuated too much.

Harlequin

I can't say the trailer showcased any improvement over the original game........

I have it on Pc and I'd argue it looked worse (because of youtube compression most likely).

Gonna be hard to sell "4K ! " with upscaled rendering and youtube lol.

Show us the boosted 1080p.

Unless you were playing in 4K yourself (or a resolution close to it) or were using SSAA or sth you almost definitely had more aliasing on those trees. I spotted very little of that in this video and it was a constant annoyance in the game at 1080p.

AP90

More options are always great. Wonder how much extra time the dev(s) had/have to spend to make this happen.

spekkeh

Banned
I feel like a special snowflake here, but I don't like this. I hope they keep it to PS Pro only, so I don't have to deal with it. The constant hemming and hawing over which option will impact which part of the experience annoyed the crap out of me during my PC days. I just want to have one designer vision and play and appraise that. That's part of what attracts me to console gaming over PC gaming.

Trup1aya

It's funny that many of the smarty-pants around here were so sure that this is exactly the type of thing developers would be uninterested/unable to do... And here's a dev doing it for launch.

I hope devs take a similar approach with the Scorpio when it drops. for either system, I'd hate to see all that power wasted on 4K, when so many users won't be able to fully appreciate it.

It's funny that many of the smarty-pants around here were so sure that this is exactly the type of thing developers would be uninterested/unable to do... And here's a dev doing it for launch.

To be fair I think most people who said that assumed developers wouldn't offer these options, not that they couldn't.

Arttemis

I hope devs take a similar approach with the Scorpio when it drops. for either system, I'd hate to see all that power wasted on 4K, when so many users won't be able to fully appreciate it.

To be fair I think most people who said that assumed developers wouldn't offer these options, not that they couldn't.

At launch, Sony has an incentive to encourage devs to launch games with Pro-utilizing modes...

How many games will feature this, and how long will devs bother?

Trup1aya

At launch, Sony has an incentive to encourage devs to launch games with Pro-utilizing modes...

How many games will feature this, and how long will devs bother?

The implication that devs "couldn't" wasn't to say that it was technically impossible, but that development costs would Prevent it from happening.

The determining factors going forward, will be a mix of market response, and dev tools, of course.

It seems that Sony is incentivizing a Neo mode. But including multiple options seems to be purely out of CDs desire.

Kssio_Aug

Besides I do agree thats a good thing to have (options), it feels to me that's one more step (a big one) leading to the each day more nebulous route that distinguishes consoles and PC nowadays.

I mean, day after day it seems consoles are trying to add what PC offers since long ago, but also sacrificing what made them appealing one day other than exclusives, while PC has been successfully adding features that once were strong console points (such as easy controller setup).

AzaK

the only reason this is possible with NEO is because of its iterative nature. Consoles would never have had these options before regardless because of the fixed hardware aspect

Wrong. Consoles could have always (3D I'm talking) offered better framerate for less graphical fidelity and vice-versa. Just as PC's always have.

If you want to double the framerate you need twice cpu power, cpu on ps4 isn't even 50% more powerful.

I guess I completely missed the point of the PS4 Pro then.... Thought it could actually do a solid 1080/60fps performance. It's mainly to get games to a 4K resolution basically?

Ferr986

I guess I completely missed the point of the PS4 Pro then.... Thought it could actually do a solid 1080/60sfps performance. It's mainly to get games to a 4K resolution basically?

4k (if the game allows it) or 1080p with some graphic refinements (better textures, folliage, etc).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I guess I completely missed the point of the PS4 Pro then.... Thought it could actually do a solid 1080/60fps performance. It's mainly to get games to a 4K resolution basically?

For many or most games it will be mainly about prettier/cleaner frames rather than more frames, yes. Some games should see smoother performance. Some games may see framerate bumps up to the next watermark (be it 60fps or perhaps in VR, 90fps or 120fps depending on the original base framerate).

But it's very game dependent. It's misleading to say you need double the CPU power to do this in every case. A doubling of CPU clock would make 30hz-60hz improvements more common, but such improvements aren't impossible without that depending on the game.

TR has a middle-road option that will target 1080p/60, but doesn't guarantee a min 60.

Top Bottom