• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will have 3 modes on PS4Pro

I find it rather weird. Seeing the PC benchmarks, I wonder at what framerate it really is going to perform. A 980ti can play it at 4K/31fps, so the graphics are going to be turned down or the framerate will be very unstable.

GooWop

Wow this is pretty great. I wasnt planning on getting this for ps4 as I have too many games In my backlog.

Being as I am in for Pro day1, I consider this excellent effort by the developers. I wish this was mandate for the Pro, but that won't happen. If I support tho maybe more devs will follow suit 🤔

TRDE is still one the most impressive games I played on ps4. I'm looking forward to this release now.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's begun and it hasn't even been released. There's no reason a console of that spec shouldn't hit 60 fps stable. That's embarrassing.

Even on PC it doesn't scale that way. You NEED a stronger CPU.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"Options" can paralyse me from even bothering with a game. Knowing you can only have one of three options and you have to prioritise it is the sort of multiple choice I can't be arsed with in CONSOLE gaming. I just want the as intended experience and away we go.

Daffy Duck

I sincerely hope this is how developers use the Pro's upgrades.

An in-game setting choice between:
  • Base PS4 Mode: 900-1080p @ 30fps.
  • PS4 Pro 60fps Mode: 1080p @ 60fps. Maybe other improvements.
  • PS4 Pro 4K Mode: 4K @ 30fps. Maybe other improvements/changes.
... is how ALL developers should do it.

Period.

And how would it be handled in MP games?

What happened to "code to the metal" and "console optimization"? xD

They can surely squeeze something more out of this even without that mumbo jumbo. We need an all AMD benchmark at 4k.

Even 70% of 4k with reconstruction can look amazingly good if done right.

Something like Ryse on X1. 900p but damn it looked good at launch.

Judging by how the PS4 and Xbox One compared against PCs with similar or even superior hardware at the time it shows that "console optimization" and "code to the metal" were kind of overrated, at-least for multi-platform titles, especially since they're effectively using the same hardware as PCs now.

It is important and does bring many benefits but now coding close to the metal is possible on PC with new low-level APIs such as DX12 and Vulkan.

Great optimization work on consoles can still take place though, especially in exclusives, this is where console hardware can really shine!

When developers aim to push the hardware as far as they can on one, well, now two sets of hardware, you can get really incredible looking games which really stand out, like Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4.

The PS4 and Xbox One were released in 2013 and more powerful PC hardware was available from prior to their release, and during the PS4 and Xbox One's year of release single GPUs were available that were over 3x more powerful.

Throughout the PS4's life prior to the PS4 Pro announcement PCs with comparable hardware or even slightly faster GPUs were able to keep up and even outpace the consoles. it will be interesting to see if the scenario plays out in a similar fashion once again with the PS4 Pro, perhaps with PC hardware being in a better state now that there is a lot more memory available on some of the latest GPUs, especially the RX 480 which has 8GB of GDDR5 memory.

Gbraga

"Options" can paralyse me from even bothering with a game. Knowing you can only have one of three options and you have to prioritise it is the sort of multiple choice I can't be arsed with in CONSOLE gaming. I just want the as intended experience and away we go.

Unless they force you to choose, you can always just not mess with it and leave it on default. Like audio settings that let you choose voice/ambient sounds/music volume individually. You don't need to wonder what would be the closest to the intended way, you just don't mess with it if you don't want to customize it to your liking.

BONKERS

No 60FPS stable? Guess the PS4Pro isn't so Prowerful huh? Probably that shitty CPU still holding them back or an unwillingness to really pare back the visuals even more than they have to for that mode. For a system that has a GPU that is more than "Twice as powerful", you'd think it could hit 1080p60FPS with the same core visuals as the XBO version bare minimum.

That 30FPS mode better include SSAA(that is hopefully better than the terrible SSAA in the PC version).

But hey, CHOICES. And that's great! i'm all for that. That's what's best about PC gaming, I can choose to play a game with ultra high IQ at stable 30FPS. Or prioritize performance if I want for 60FPS. Vice versa.
My IQ standards for 30FPS are undoubtedly much higher than most developers will bother to try and get for 1080p30FPS output with SSAA. But it should still hopefully be great to finally get good IQ and good AA on consoles.

I'd opt to get console versions more if it was true. Knowing some developers though, they won't care or will be clueless (like Capcom. RE4HD fixes no problems from the PC version and somehow doesn't have ANY AA)

NastyBook

- 4K mode, the big resolution and developers made the optimal choices

- 1080p high framerate, the game locked at 60 FPS

- 1080p bells and whistles, 30 FPS locked with every processing technique pushed to the max

That sounds good to me.
Now that's what I'm talking about!

Inuhanyou

No 60FPS stable? Guess the PS4Pro isn't so Prowerful huh? Probably that shitty CPU still holding them back or an unwillingness to really pare back the visuals even more than they have to for that mode. For a system that has a GPU that is more than "Twice as powerful", you'd think it could hit 1080p60FPS with the same core visuals as the XBO version bare minimum.

That 30FPS mode better include SSAA(that is hopefully better than the terrible SSAA in the PC version).

But hey, CHOICES. And that's great! i'm all for that.

Why would a GPU make you think FPS?

This is excellent. Hope that's the standard devs follow from now on.

Edit: Oh, they still can't get 60 fps on neo at 1080p? That's not very encouraging, the cpu must be a real bottleneck into getting games to double the framerate.

BONKERS

Why would a GPU make you think FPS?

Oh I don't know, more powerful GPU = can render frames quicker? = higher framerate.
The more powerful the GPU the less time in milliseconds it takes to render a frame. And if you can render frames in 16.66ms or less, you could hit 60FPS without an issue. And a 4.2TF GPU should be able to do that considering it's about on par with a GTX 970.

I've got a 7+ year oldCPU in my PC with a GTX 980 and it can handle 60+FPS without issue in most games at 1080p despite the CPU bottleneck. And if there's a problem, usually you can lower settings to compromise to hit that target. Few games are bottlenecked to the point where that isn't possible.
But my CPU is also an i7 running at 4Ghz, which helps out with that a lot.

Then just choose the default mode and enjoy your game. Mindblowing that people are actually complaining about being given options. God forbid.

Oh I don't know, more powerful GPU = can render frames quicker? = higher framerate.
The more powerful the GPU the less time in milliseconds it takes to render a frame. And if you can render frames in 16.66ms or less, you could hit 60FPS without an issue. And a 4.2TF GPU should be able to do that considering it's about on par with a GTX 970.

I've got a 7+ year oldCPU in my PC with a GTX 980 and it can handle 60+FPS without issue in most games at 1080p despite the CPU bottleneck. And if there's a problem, usually you can lower settings to compromise to hit that target. Few games are bottlenecked to the point where that isn't possible.

Sorry to be pedantic, but the GTX 970 is more on-par with a R9 290X and RX 480.

Would you happen to have a Nehalem I7? Lovely CPUs those were!

BONKERS

And how would it be handled in MP games?
MP games should be allowed to run at a higher framerate. Bottlenecking them because they are unwilling to make the base PS4 game look like shit to run at 60FPS is an irritating move and holds back everyone else because of the LCD. MP games of any kind that aren't a casual or Co-op game, should run at 60FPS bare minimum.
CoD and even Battlefield understand that. Even if they dont' quite hit 60FPS.

ROTT has the right idea here.
Every game should offer
  • 1080p60 mode (Which should be stable considering the GPU power available and their claim of the GPU being more than twice as fast)
  • 1080p30 mode with higher quality visuals and SSAA (rendering from same resolution potentially as 4k mode)
  • 4k mode upsampled from whatever sub native resolution they use and what framerate target they are going for

And it should be the same for MP.

Ferr986

Your pc is way better than pro. Even the CPU is way better.

Slaythe

Medically? No they don't exist.

Those that don't really pay attention to it? Sure they do.

Unfortunately we can't all live in that world lol.

It entirely depends what kind of judder we are talking about.

If it's all over the place constantly it's terrible.

If it's mostly stable and dips when shit explodes or when action gets intense, it's less of an issue.

I mean if 45 is the absolute worst the game gets, it's probably not that bad on average.

tuxfool

Banned
Medically? No they don't exist.

Those that don't really pay attention to it? Sure they do.

Unfortunately we can't all live in that world lol.

Yes of course, to pretend judder isn't there is foolish. It is the same thing as with people who aren't sensitive to 60->30 or bad framepacing.

Inuhanyou

Your i7 is much stronger than jaguar.

Also, if your talking about optimization in 16.66ms, then the same would be possible for PS4 OG, the jump is not that large.

What you have to understand is that GPU time is only relevant for GPU bound scenarios. CPU bound scenarios aren't affected.

This is how every Neo patch should be.

But lol@ north of 45.

Just lock it at 60 damn it. Put some settings down. You already have the 30fps being the bell and whistles mode. It's basically a "Graphics mode" or "Gameplay mode".

It's not possible due to the CPU.

I'm pretty sure the '45 fps minimum' target will be off in the open areas as well, whereas it'll hit 30fps.

The cpu is just too slow for modern games to run at 60fps @ 1080p, there's no mystery to this. Any digital foundry test will find those areas where it dips which is why they are more transparent than normal, but if it can be kept to a minimum it won't be too bad.

Overall, I like what they are doing and being transparent. A lot of respect for different consumers.

Top Bottom