• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox One demo available

Alx

Downloading. I'm a bit disappointed that it's a trial of the first hour of the game (as far as I understand) instead of a real demo. I suppose most of it is going through tutorials and gamplay with few items and skills.
Can that first hour be played at will though ? I may want to show it to other people later this week.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Just bought an xbox one 1 month ago and i have zero interest in this game.
i thought the first one got boring and repetitive after 2 hours..
and i bought that game on sale for 12 bucks.

maybe it's just my taste..

Rockondevil

Downloading. I'm a bit disappointed that it's a trial of the first hour of the game (as far as I understand) instead of a real demo. I suppose most of it is going through tutorials and gamplay with few items and skills.
Can that first hour be played at will though ? I may want to show it to other people later this week.

If it's anything like the Ark demo I played on the weekend you get the hour and that is it, you must then purchase the game or have it wasting hard drive space for nothing.

Alx

If it's anything like the Ark demo I played on the weekend you get the hour and that is it, you must then purchase the game or have it wasting hard drive space for nothing.

Oh, bummer. I'll make sure not to launch it before Christmas in that case, thanks.

Change region to US on your phone then reboot Smartglass.

Don't think you can change region from the app, I've signed out, reinstalled it, and can't see that option anywhere. Unless I'm missing something.

Scrap that, you meant my actual phone settings.....lol try again.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
An hour...so I'm guessing you don't get to go to the first open hub zone then? (It's quite big, you'd know when you got there). Probably around the bear?

It ended during an escape from the cave right near the end, didn't show a whole lot. I think you only shoot two people the whole time actually.

I give up, doesn't show up on the UK app or US, frustrating why it can't show what's appearing on the store like it would using your XB1.

Demos should be more regular. I remember last Gen I used to browse PS3 and 360 marketplaces and just tried so many games, especially ones I wasn't really interested. Sometimes I got pleasantly surprised and found entertaining game I wouldn't have otherwise bought.

dolemite

MSFT's treatment of Tomb Raider property is most upsetting. The game was sent to die even though they could afford to make it shine. They did the same last year with Sunset Overdrive... not good.

KORNdoggy

Demos should be more regular. I remember last Gen I used to browse PS3 and 360 marketplaces and just tried so many games, especially ones I wasn't really interested. Sometimes I got pleasantly surprised and found entertaining game I wouldn't have otherwise bought.

they're known to be pretty non-beneficial so hardly anyone bothers making them anymore, which is a shame... they have a much higher chance to put people off a potential purchase then they do to sell someone on them. the best reason to have a demo these days is when you have a game that is struggling sales wise. then it has much less little negative impact.

21 gig though is a big ask for a demo.

Alx

Yeah me too. Last gen I definitely bought Dead Rising and Bayonetta because of their demos (wouldn' thave done so otherwise), and it confirmed my purchase of Crackdown. Most of the XBLA games were bought because of their demo too, especially since I was a bit suspicious of digital marketplace at the time.
Sometimes it's the other way around though, I skipped Niney Nine Nights 2 because of its demo for example, while I was ready to buy it since I liked the first one.

I think the statistics concluded that releasing a demo wasn't beneficial to the sales in average, but I think that publishers shoud rather focus on the reasons why sometimes it works better than others. It can still be a good selling tool, but you have to know when to produce a demo and when not to.

MSFT's treatment of Tomb Raider property is most upsetting. The game was sent to die even though they could afford to make it shine. They did the same last year with Sunset Overdrive... not good.

What would "sent to die" mean in that case ? They released it in the middle of the holiday season, and supported it with enough advertising. Can't say Sunset Overdrive had the same opportunities.

ThankeeSai

Loved the 1st reboot and am getting this for Xmas (well, a few days after), do I play the first hour to whet my appetite, or wait until the 28th to play the full thing?

Decisions...

Theorry

Loved the 1st reboot and am getting this for Xmas (well, a few days after), do I play the first hour to whet my appetite, or wait until the 28th to play the full thing?

Decisions...

Wait. But just download it already. So you dont have to install or download it anymore when you get it. :)

game looks amazing on XBO, and 1080p for the few that care.

and Hulu has a good ad for this before certain shows.

For "the few that care"?! Have you posted this on the wrong site by mistake?!

instead of a demo they just should release pc and ps4 version as soon as possible. because next year will be a nightmare to sell this game

Come on dude, this contributes nothing. It is what it is, so we'll be waiting a year for the PS4 version.

Demo is pointless. They should breach the contract with Microsoft and release the ultimate definitive plus edition on PS4 and PC right now. I'm concerned about its sales.

You do sound #concerned. So much so that you think SE breaking the terms of the contract to release on PS4 early is a good idea.

I dont need a demo to decide whether I will like it or not. Just going to keep waiting for it to release on a different console.

Come the fuck on; why are all of you even commenting if you're just going to reference the PS4 release? This is adding literally nothing to the conversation besides showing your bias.

From my watching of the game: Amazing artistically. Graphically- Great for cross gen thanks to some lens flare and foliage evening out the the weaknesses

It's not a cross-gen game though, or at least not in that sense. Crystal Dynamics built the game for Xbone and then Nixxes down-ported it to the 360. But we have no reason to suspect that its development was in any way constrained by having a 360 version, and visually from the Xbone version that does not seem to be the case.

R3TRODYCE

I like this thread.

I also like the idea of downloading the whole game so if you like it you only have to purchase a license.

Chris1

What would "sent to die" mean in that case ? They released it in the middle of the holiday season, and supported it with enough advertising. Can't say Sunset Overdrive had the same opportunities.

SO got advertised a lot here in the UK.. TR not so much.

Alright I need some help. I downloaded the game demo, I'm at the ice wall part where Jonah is swinging you and on the second time after the first oh fuck ice wall break Lara will not innitate the second cutscene to get on the wall. I keep swinging right at it and pressing the x button when I'm right near it and nothing is happening, just the swinging pick axe missing animation. I looked on a playthrough and found another guy had the same problem in the comment section. Is this a known glitch or something? It's the first 3 minutes of the game and it involves pushing a stick forward and pressing a blue x button to activate a game playing cutscene where she attached to the wall.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit nevermind, it finally worked. By doing the exact same thing I was doing when it wasn't working.

He's right though. A list with Halo, Bloodborne and Tomb Raider on it isn't going to be the popular opinion.

:^)

What am I doing here?

How is 'I thought this year was:" stating something as the popular opinion?

I actually quoted the wrong response. His first comment said:

"Desperate as they have the best console game of the year released on their system."

I meant to respond to that and not the later more subjective comment. I'll take this one on the chin though. My mistake.

Head.spawn

Demos cost money to make and developers time to fuss with... a trial, the way that MS has implemented it, takes zero effort on the behalf of the developer.

They should honestly do trials for all of their games during this time of year.

That's pretty decent. It definitely shouldn't be taking that long to download then.

At the moment I am currently at 35% and I started my download 10 minutes ago, so maybe your ISP is throttling you or something?

Also worth noting, this game is "Ready to Start" at 25% of the download. Since this is a timed trial, you probably could've played the game, hit the hour limit and bought or uninstalled the game in the time you were still downloading.

Oh, bummer. I'll make sure not to launch it before Christmas in that case, thanks.

I'm not so sure on that, maybe someone else can confirm... but I'm pretty sure you don't have to use all of the time at once. You can play a bit, exit the game, QUIT out of the game.... go on with your life and come back at any point and finish off the rest of your time.

I could be wrong though, so I'd wait for confirmation from someone else. I know that is how I have been playing my 10-hour Star Wars trial.. over the course of weeks. I still have 6 hours left.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Demos cost money to make and developers time to fuss with... a trial, the way that MS has implemented it, takes zero effort on the behalf of the developer.

That's pretty decent. It definitely shouldn't be taking that long to download then.

At the moment I am currently at 35% and I started my download 10 minutes ago, so maybe your ISP is throttling you or something?

Also worth noting, this game is "Ready to Start" at 25% of the download. Since this is a timed trial, you probably could've played the game, hit the hour limit and bought or uninstalled the game in the time you were still downloading.

I don't think this is actually a timed trial since I played it twice and it ended at the same spot both times. It says ready to play but will actually stop you at a certain point(for me I was going to jump onto a zipline and it paused until I finished the dl).

Head.spawn

I don't think this is actually a timed trial since I played it twice and it ended at the same spot both times. It says ready to play but will actually stop you at a certain point(for me I was going to jump onto a zipline and it paused until I finished the dl).

Gotcha. That's the first I've heard of it doing something like that, that's kind of cool actually.

My download is finishing right now, but I'm not playing until tomorrow (when the wife finishes her run of TR2013).

mrobbo

Neo Member
Well Microsoft your plan worked. Was planning on waiting for ps4 version, but thought i'd try the demo. Wow fantastic looking game and couldn't put it down. So now that it's on sale it's a no-brainer. Going to purchase this soon. Hopefully the rest of the game lives up to the first hour.

TheYanger

Well Microsoft your plan worked. Was planning on waiting for ps4 version, but thought i'd try the demo. Wow fantastic looking game and couldn't put it down. So now that it's on sale it's a no-brainer. Going to purchase this soon. Hopefully the rest of the game lives up to the first hour.

If anything I think the intro is the weakest part, it's not even open at all for like an hour and a half.

Alx

SO got advertised a lot here in the UK.. TR not so much.

Well it's anecdotal evidence, but I've seen many ads for TR on TV lately, while I don't remember a single one about SO at the time. The game may not have been the most visible game of the season (but how could it be, with Star Wars, Halo, CoD, ... releasing at the same time), but it's getting all its chances in that context. The holidays are always crowded, but that's because it's the best window to release major games (or so publishers think anyway).

I'm aware of that, but for some genres with a slow progression, that concept doesn't work as well. Still better than nothing though.
As a matter of fact it only confirms my distaste for slow progression in games. A good game should be fun from the first few minutes in my opinion. Anyway maybe it's the case for TR, but I'll keep my "time credits" to be spent with the rest of the family later this week. :)

Top Bottom