• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

WGMBY

Just got my first Hat Trick in a standards match. Two of them were complete luck, but I felt like I was doing much better than my earlier games.

Ardenyal

EDIT: The post above me illustrates exactly why you wouldn't dare to say that... 3-1 is clearly "getting their ass beat" lol
I'm almost envy you not knowing how bad it gets.

I haven't seen anyone leave when they're down by 2 goals in 3v3 ranked unless there's just a couple seconds left in the match.

Most quits happen at 3+ goals down and team being forced to sit on their own goal line or no one playing defense and getting scored every attack.

I haven't seen anyone leave when they're down by 2 goals in 3v3 ranked unless there's just a couple seconds left in the match.

Most quits happen at 3+ goals down and team being forced to sit on their own goal line or no one playing defense and getting scored every attack.

Happened to me yesterday with just 1 goal...

3 v 3 game, we scored within the first 10 seconds... entire other team left and we got a win by forfeit. It definitely happens

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Then you've been very lucky. I've had plenty of people quit after just 1 goal.

DBT85

I played 2 consecutive games against the same person this morning who after they conceded the first goal said "don't quit" lol.

Salsa

well I reached the point where I can barely play one match with random teammates cause they're terrible and I hate them

Having my worst day since release today. I'm tired and just sucking massively. Can't get my eye in at all and keep missing the ball. Scored a few sweet goals but my first own goal since the first day.

Having my worst day since release today. I'm tired and just sucking massively. Can't get my eye in at all and keep missing the ball. Scored a few sweet goals but my first own goal since the first day.

This game is almost physically demanding. I think it's because you have to really do everything and not just press a button that's it so easy to have a really off game or day. takes a lo of concentration.

BShadowJ

Then you've been very lucky. I've had plenty of people quit after just 1 goal.

Basically this. I got a leaver today when the score was 3-1 with like 3 minutes left. And then the other left basically 10 seconds after. At 1000 rating. One thousand.

And even still, 3+ goal difference doesn't mean you can't come back. Fuck on the beta I scored 5 goals in the last minute to come back and win against some good players! I don't know why people keep making excuses for quitters, because 95% of the time there's no legitimate excuse.

nicolajNN

The worst part about quitters is that comebacks from 2 goals down isn't uncommon at all, and a game can turn quite quickly. Though obviously some skill is needed, all it can take is a lucky shot, a mistake by someone and you can get back in it.

This game is almost physically demanding. I think it's because you have to really do everything and not just press a button that's it so easy to have a really off game or day. takes a lo of concentration.

This is so true. I especially notice it when it's getting late and I'm getting tired, my play just deteriorates, but not in a noticeable way as such, I'm just a little slower in making decisions and getting to balls, that really makes a big difference.

Today I've been seeing a lot of people who don't quit, they just sit there not moving or playing. If you start punish quitting all that will happen is that becomes more common.

I think the scoring system on defense is off. It needs to stop rewarding the people who push the ball back in forth in front of your own goal (at the expense of real clears). I played a match where my entire team had zero shots, zero saves, lost 5-0, yet the other two people on my team both had ~300 points from doing this. I think I'd take away clears that don't push the ball out past the line crossing the edge of the goal box, at least in non-ranked. Especially infuriating when they just barely outrace you to a ball you are trying to do a real clear on.

Today I've been seeing a lot of people who don't quit, they just sit there not moving or playing. If you start punish quitting all that will happen is that becomes more common.

I think the scoring system on defense is off. It needs to stop rewarding the people who push the ball back in forth in front of your own goal (at the expense of real clears). I played a match where my entire team had zero shots, zero saves, lost 5-0, yet the other two people on my team both had ~300 points from doing this. I think I'd take away clears that don't push the ball out past the line crossing the edge of the goal box, at least in non-ranked. Especially infuriating when they just barely outrace you to a ball you are trying to do a real clear on.

IMO, the scoring for offense and defense needs to be rebalanced.

Shots on Goals should be worth significantly less: Like 10 Points. A bit strange that simply scoring towards the net is rewarded when it doesn't guarantee a shot, and it really racks up for those who play offensively and fail to score often. A bit redundant with Center Balls too.

Saves should be worth 60, and Epic Saves 80.

I often think I'm burnt out, then log back on half an hour later.

Hey Shadow, any news on the next Gaf game?

well I reached the point where I can barely play one match with random teammates cause they're terrible and I hate them

Every think you are the reason they quit?

:p

edit:

I have been seeing quite a bit of lag myself on PC. More specifically, the ball seems to rubberband a ton when it happens. It's entertaining to watch, kinda bullshit to play. Game is super fun though. I played for almost 24 hours in my first 3 days of playing it. It's addicting.

BShadowJ

Just take adderall. it's a competitive game after all

Damn... I laughed.

Are they still not keeping track of wins by car? A of mine say 0 in MP.

Yeah I think basically most online stat tracking is bugged. It should be fixed in the next patch though, hopefully.

This is how I feel most of my ranked games LOL
Except when I'm the bad teammate and I feel bad for the rest of my team

Just take adderall. it's a competitive game after all

I go the opposite way.

snoop-weed-gif.gif

Game is hilarious that way.

Just found out about "ball cam", game has become much easier for me.

If that's the case, you should do the training. It'll teach you a lot more too.

Ardenyal

IMO, the scoring for offense and defense needs to be rebalanced.

Shots on Goals should be worth significantly less: Like 10 Points. A bit strange that simply scoring towards the net is rewarded when it doesn't guarantee a shot, and it really racks up for those who play offensively and fail to score often. A bit redundant with Center Balls too.

Saves should be worth 60, and Epic Saves 80.

I dont feel like the scoring makes much of a difference as there are no assigned positions.

Everyone should get comfortable playing defense and offense because at certain point you will have to start rotating.

For example if you try center a ball from the corner and it gets contested, ball lays in the corner. Player who centered first time will not have enough speed to get a good centering ball so a player boosts from behind and centers while the other one rotates back to defend in case of a clear.

AwShucks

I need to step up my aerial game. I'm trying but can't do anything close to kronovi. I have done difficulty judging distance from the ball in the air when in ball cam mode

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
they don't quit (well sometimes they do), they just suck

bad in a "wanna steal the goal and kick my ball off path" way

Rack up some wins and get your rating up. There. You're now paired only with players who know what they're doing. There are still obviously some players better than others, but at a fundamental level just about everyone you play with will be solid and aware of their roles.

Yeah I was out all day and very tired. Crazy how that can throw my game off so much. Love it though.

Salsa

How's you connection to the states? I see you playing all the time on Steam.

ping seems to have little effect on how the game plays for me

im between 150-250ms almost always and it seems fine. Played a few 280+ and it got bad there

Rack up some wins and get your rating up. There. You're now paired only with players who know what they're doing. There are still obviously some players better than others, but at a fundamental level just about everyone you play with will be solid and aware of their roles.

some of these guys are Pro rank

maybe im just being snotty about it when I can obviously fuck up by mistake, but it can get tiresome when there's basically no coordination and team mates just bump you out the way and don't position themselves other than just going for the ball hit

BShadowJ

they don't quit (well sometimes they do), they just suck

bad in a "wanna steal the goal and kick my ball off path" way

What rating are you? Legitimate question. Not that getting to higher rating eliminates completely the issue, but it does help... The trouble is holding on to your sanity until then >_<

Am I the only one that plays with the standard camera? I have a hard time with ball cam.

After playing for a while, I've found you have much better awareness of where the ball is / will be going and don't really see the need for ball cam.

DBT85

I have managed to drag my 2v2 rank up to 460. Hoping to push on now!

Am I the only one that plays with the standard camera? I have a hard time with ball cam.

After playing for a while, I've found you have much better awareness of where the ball is / will be going and don't really see the need for ball cam.

Not the only one, but we put your kind in a special room.

BShadowJ

Yes you are the only one.
No of course you aren't lol. But you shouldn't imo.

Hip Hop

It's much harder to hit the ball without ball cam because it's easy to get off course without it.

At that point, you're fighting yourself.

With Ball cam, you're always on point and can makes goals and passes much easier. You can guide shots better too.

AcridMeat

Banned
maybe im just being snotty about it when I can obviously fuck up by mistake, but it can get tiresome when there's basically no coordination and team mates just bump you out the way and don't position themselves other than just going for the ball hit
That's when you wait back and pick your moments. Sure it can be frustrating but there's ways to play around bad teammates.

Typically if they're the type to chase after the ball, they're probably bad at hitting it too and it'll leave juicy balls for you if you're patient.

Gotta love the sarcasm and passive aggressiveness of it all.

Ha the one day you played with me and a buddy of mine the other team had a guy talking so much trash about his own teammate. Saying it was 4 vs 2 and that S2 (short version of his teammates name) sucked. Then you said S2>Tyler and it got my friend and I to laugh.

plc268

Had a couple of interesting 1v1 ranked matches. One guy seemed pissed that I don't rush the ball when I'm in goal (rather go for the aerial save), so he decided to bad mouth my "skills" over voice chat. Whatever dude, I beat you.

Then the very next match, I get another guy who seemed to be offended that I didn't rush... I scored an easy goal on him after I saved it and he missed. So he just refused to play, driving around in circles. I wasn't going to forfeit so I just waited the timer out, and then he starts own goaling himself to prolong the game for some reason.

Dunno why people seem to get upset that I choose to defend, when they've still got a decent chance of scoring on me, because there's a good chance I'm gonna be out of position after the aerial save.

hydruxo

Had a couple of interesting 1v1 ranked matches. One guy seemed pissed that I don't rush the ball when I'm in goal (rather go for the aerial save), so he decided to bad mouth my "skills" over voice chat. Whatever dude, I beat you.

Then the very next match, I get another guy who seemed to be offended that I didn't rush... I scored an easy goal on him after I saved it and he missed. So he just refused to play, driving around in circles. I wasn't going to forfeit so I just waited the timer out, and then he starts own goaling himself to prolong the game for some reason.

Dunno why people seem to get upset that I choose to defend, when they've still got a decent chance of scoring on me, because there's a good chance I'm gonna be out of position after the aerial save.

There's a lot of people out there who want every match to be a cakewalk I guess. They get mad when they run into people who use actual strategies lmao.

BShadowJ

When I started climbing in duels that was the easiest way to beat the low rating players lol. Fortunately I didn't get anyone like that, that's just sad really.

Both look great. I will definitely be supporting these guys and copping this.

Any word on the free DLC pack besides the skull wheels?

Not that I know of.

Some new info on the next patch.

UPDATE: Our latest improvements patch (v1.03) took a little longer than expected. Looks like early next week now. We'll keep you informed.

BTW. Our next patch will automatically adjust AI Bot skill levels to match the average skill level of players currently in the game

plc268

When I started climbing in duels that was the easiest way to beat the low rating players lol. Fortunately I didn't get anyone like that, that's just sad really.

Yea, I had a bunch of great games. Occasionally I got the salty player who couldn't take it that he/she was down 4-0 and quit, but mostly it's been good.

Usually if I get a big lead, and the opposing player is making a lot of mistakes, I'll basically let them score. Seems to give them confidence and actually makes it a more interesting game. It's bitten me in the butt some times, but I rather have an interesting game than a blowout.

The Cowboy

Not really feeling the DLC cars, still its nice to have more to choose from. Will more cosmetics be added via DLC?, i just love messing with the cosmetics (some spinning rims would be nice :D).

To go with the cosmetics, i would love to have separate setups for each team (I'm actually surprised this wasn't in it from the start), and perhaps even a wardrobe system to save cosmetic builds.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Yea, I had a bunch of great games. Occasionally I got the salty player who couldn't take it that he/she was down 4-0 and quit, but mostly it's been good.

Usually if I get a big lead, and the opposing player is making a lot of mistakes, I'll basically let them score. Seems to give them confidence and actually makes it a more interesting game. It's bitten me in the butt some times, but I rather have an interesting game than a blowout.
I was 5-1 down in ranked 1v1 earlier and came back to win 7-6 in overtime. And no he certainly didn't let me score. I have zero respect for quitters. It's only a lost cause when you decide it's a lost cause.

I dont feel like the scoring makes much of a difference as there are no assigned positions.

Everyone should get comfortable playing defense and offense because at certain point you will have to start rotating.

For example if you try center a ball from the corner and it gets contested, ball lays in the corner. Player who centered first time will not have enough speed to get a good centering ball so a player boosts from behind and centers while the other one rotates back to defend in case of a clear.

Originally, I thought the same. But I think it's a bit too offense-favoured to reward you for simply taking a shot on goal, and giving you a mere 10 points more for making epic saves. Those kind of actions should be rewarded accordingly, as it's less about playing roles and more about a more sensible distribution for the actions you take

Ha the one day you played with me and a buddy of mine the other team had a guy talking so much trash about his own teammate. Saying it was 4 vs 2 and that S2 (short version of his teammates name) sucked. Then you said S2>Tyler and it got my friend and I to laugh.

Haha, I hated that guy. Such bitter losers. I like spamming the quickchat to annoy trashtalkers, but I had to stick up for his poor teammate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom