• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roger Federer SuperNova

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobe24

Are we experiencing a renaissance of some sort? Federer just won the Indian Wells open, making his opponents look like practice out there. His backhand is unreal, and looks the best it's ever been. On top of that winning a slam, while coming back from a serious injury, at the age of THIRTY FIVE. How is he doing this!?

Deadman

35 years old and 6 months out with a knee injury. That should be career ending in any sport.

Instead it was the start of the second coming.

Speevy

Banned
He's the greatest tennis player of all time. Djokovic and Nadal thought they could surpass him but there's no chance now.

You could write a thesis on the dude, or at least a long ass article. How on earth has he managed to improve his biggest weakness at such an advanced age? never seen him hit backhands like this year, and he's had the new racket for a while now.

glad I got to see him play once. he'll probably end up playing until he's 38 or whatever like connors but I'm going to try and get wimbledon tickets next year just in case.

Kobe24

You could write a thesis on the dude, or at least a long ass article. How on earth has he managed to improve his biggest weakness at such an advanced age? never seen him hit backhands like this year, and he's had the new racket for a while now.

glad I got to see him play once. he'll probably end up playing until he's 38 or whatever like connors but I'm going to try and get wimbledon tickets next year just in case.

It is beyond unreal right now. Like I can't fathom this right now. The crowds are all oohing and awing at some of these Backhands. I'm shook right now, French is actually in play

bionic77

It's a joy to watch him play when he is playing well. Take out that he is probably the GOAT as well, there is just something brilliant about the way he moves around the court and how he hits the ball.

Love the resurgence but it won't last long so I am enjoying it while I can. It is obvious he is as well.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
He's the best. His comeback this year solidifies him as the GOAT above Pete.

Both Fed and Serena both are the GOATs playing at the same time. It's amazing to watch.

jett

D-Member
I didn't watch the match unfortunately but I'm really glad he's on the rise again. It's really quite incredible, in the literal sense of the word.

Smellycat

the way he won that AO final against Nadal was heavenly. He was dictating play with that backhand like he never did before. It was inspiring. People were saying that his best days are behind and he can never defeat his rivals again. Think again!! He is simply the greatest

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
He revamped his backhand and turned it from his greatest weakness into a weapon. At 35. Craziness.

RedAssedApe

Banned
its just nice to see him beating nadal.

that aussie final alone must have been a huge weight off his shoulders especially coming back from a major injury. then backing it up at indian wells on a slower court in dominating fashion.

a little bit of luck that djkovic and murray have been shitting the bed too.

Usobuko

Banned
Played tennis in high-school so you can pretty much guess most of my teammates are Roger fans.

Now, in my late 20s, to see Roger coming back to another Grand Slam so many years later is very gratifying.

Trokil

Banned
He might be juicing.

No, it is just his style.

He is playing to make points fast, unlike Djokovic, Nadal or even Wawrinka. Everything added he played in Palm Springs only about the same time as a 5 set match at a grand slam.

Yes, he lost a lot of important matches in the past, because he tried to make the points to fast, but unlike Nadal or Djokovic he can still play with 35. Nadal has lost a lot of his body and strength and in a few years it will be very hard for him to even make any sport. Federer aged well, because his style is less violent against his own body.

bionic77

No, it is just his style.

He is playing to make points fast, unlike Djokovic, Nadal or even Wawrinka. Everything added he played in Palm Springs only about the same time as a 5 set match at a grand slam.

Yes, he lost a lot of important matches in the past, because he tried to make the points to fast, but unlike Nadal or Djokovic he can still play with 35. Nadal has lost a lot of his body and strength and in a few years it will be very hard for him to even make any sport. Federer aged well, because his style is less violent against his own body.
He changed his racket.

Something he should have done 5 years ago.

That is the biggest reason he is able to step into the court and start blasting backhands.

Fed is truly the GOAT. He makes it all look so easy and honestly I'd be surprised if he doesn't make it to the final at Roland Garros, let alone win it all.

The backhand...it's serious.

Dommo

Yep. Incredible year so far. I'm in absolute awe. Cannot believe this guy. Dude's been hanging with the best for damn near 14 years and he's hit some kind of third wind.

He changed his racket.

Something he should have done 5 years ago.

That is the biggest reason he is able to step into the court and start blasting backhands.

He changed his racket like 3 years ago and while it definitely helped, he still wasn't able to crack through the likes of Nadal or Djokovic. It's really only been this Australian Open when his backhand became the nightmare we're all frothing over.

For real, how many times has this guy been declared dead? 2008 Wimbledon? 2009 Australian Open? 2013 injuries? 2016 Wimbledon + injuries? All of that despite always being competitive. And here he is, a 35 year old, coming back from six months injury and already won two titles including a major. Nasty.

'Liquid whip' is one of the most beautiful sounding sports terms ever. And that's exactly what it is. Just seeing the way he hits the ball, his technique is enough to make you think "Yeah, that guy's probably something special."

HiResDes

I will be probably the only one to say I honestly don't give a fuck about juicing, what do you think is in a cortisone shot, just regulate it and help athletes recover from injury better.

He's pulling a Kobe?
But unlike Kobe, he doesn't need to carried for most of his rings.

What a GOAT. A master. And his style is also the best we've ever seen from a tennis player. If he wins another Grand Slam this year, Switzerland better build a golden statue of him in every city. Fucking GOAT!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

bionic77

Yep. Incredible year so far. I'm in absolute awe. Cannot believe this guy. Dude's been hanging with the best for damn near 14 years and he's hit some kind of third wind.

He changed his racket like 3 years ago and while it definitely helped, he still wasn't able to crack through the likes of Nadal or Djokovic. It's really only been this Australian Open when his backhand became the nightmare we're all frothing over.

For real, how many times has this guy been declared dead? 2008 Wimbledon? 2009 Australian Open? 2013 injuries? 2016 Wimbledon + injuries? All of that despite always being competitive. And here he is, a 35 year old, coming back from six months injury and already won two titles including a major. Nasty.

'Liquid whip' is one of the most beautiful sounding sports terms ever. And that's exactly what it is. Just seeing the way he hits the ball, his technique is enough to make you think "Yeah, that guy's probably something special."
Agree with everything you said.

However, that was Fed himself who credits the new racket and finally being comfortable with it for his improved ability to crack the fuck out of his backhands.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/03/roger-federer-racquet-change-backhand-rafael-nadal-indian-wells/64840/

I am trying to watch him play as often as I can because who knows how long this can last.

bionic77

If anyone has juiced, it's the dude who couldn't finish games on his early 20s and is in better physical shape in his late 20s, and the guy who literally ran at full speed for 5 sets without showing any sort of fatigue until the last few years.
If Fed is using drugs it would be for recovery from his injuries (which is still banned).

Fed would actually show fatigue in a lot of 5 set matches. So if he was juicing he was not doing a very good job earlier in his career.

I suspect a few tennis players and definitely NBA and soccer players are doing something to help them near the end of matches.

Mimosa97

Cue now the idiots trying to tell you how Djokovic is better.

Federer is the GOAT. There's ZERO debate about it. You have to be an absolute moron to believe anything else. We're seeing some Federer magic again at the ripe age of 35 which doesn't even surprise me to be honest. I was always a believer. Now all I need is for federer to win one last Wimbledon title and I can die happy.

driggonny

Banned
If Fed is using drugs it would be for recovery from his injuries (which is still banned).

Fed would actually show fatigue in a lot of 5 set matches. So if he was juicing he was not doing a very good job earlier in his career.

I suspect a few tennis players and definitely NBA and soccer players are doing something to help them near the end of matches.

He was definitely referencing Djokovic and Nadal... Djokovic even had to retire matches frequently early on in his career with all kinds of excuses. He credited his newfound stamina to learning he had Celiacs and that seems reasonable I guess.

darkwing

what is frightening to his opponents now is that Federer has no pressure to win that 18th slam anymore, so his game is more relaxed and free flowing as evidenced by his Indian Wells win

clemenx

Banned
These 3 months are his biggest achievement period.

In what other sport does a 35 year old returns from injury, impoves his biggest weakness and just dominates from the go.

I mean, the last few years, even without winning anything it was remarkable that he remained top 5 at his age was impressive enough, but what he's doing right now is beyond belief.

bionic77

He was definitely referencing Djokovic and Nadal... Djokovic even had to retire matches frequently early on in his career with all kinds of excuses. He credited his newfound stamina to learning he had Celiacs and that seems reasonable I guess.
It is a little sketchy that I have seen Nadal and Djoker somehow run faster and hit the ball harder at the end of a 5 hour match considering how much ground they cover. Still no proof of it.

I have the same suspicions of some NBA and soccer players who also never seem to get tired.

It is usually accompanied by some diet change but I usually don't buy it. That said innocent until proven guilty.

jett

D-Member
These 3 months are his biggest achievement period.

In what other sport does a 35 year old returns from injury, impoves his biggest weakness and just dominates from the go.

I mean, the last few years, even without winning anything it was remarkable that he remained top 5 at his age was impressive enough, but what he's doing right now is beyond belief.

I honestly don't understand how his body still holds up.

EBreda

He's the only tennis player who finishes up his games looking more rested than when he starts. Guy doesn't even sweat.

A legend and a class act. Greatest of all time for sure. Easily. Hopefully another Wimbledon is on the line.

Dommo

Agree with everything you said.

However, that was Fed himself who credits the new racket and finally being comfortable with it for his improved ability to crack the fuck out of his backhands.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/03/roger-federer-racquet-change-backhand-rafael-nadal-indian-wells/64840/

I am trying to watch him play as often as I can because who knows how long this can last.

Ah right. So he's basically saying that he's only now become truly confident with that racket after putting so many hours into it. Makes sense. FinalFormFederer is a blast to watch.

I'd just like to add that his 'dominant period' really only lasted 3-4 years and he's been in his 'twilight' years for around 9 years now, which is just insane.

Twilight Federer > Peak Federer if only for the extended desperate underdog story.

41sfYBl.jpg

I don't tend to glorify people or hold them up to a pedestal of sorts but Federer is just...he's one of those people that make you glad to be alive while he was doing his thing. It's just been such a surreal experience to watch his journey from the outside. On top of the willpower involved to bring himself to the level despite the challenges he has faced, it's just great fucking tennis we're seeing. There are no words for this but one: unprecedented.

Still think this is such an under appreciated sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom