• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rooster Teeth berate Jeff Gerstmann/Giant Bomb's Fallout 4 review while...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Puncher

3945860-1764819519-24674.gif

I read that reaction and "everyone is just misunderstanding what was being said" defense on their subreddit. Then he goes on to say that he didn't know who Jeff Gerstmann until that week from Metacritic.

This got me seriously wondering how people could do a gaming industry podcast and not even know cursory information about Jeff Gerstmann. That's a really strong bubble to live in is all I'm saying. Though to Meg's credit she knew about Jeff's Mixlr streams, so either she's in the know or she did some serious Google sleuthing.

Did Rooster Teeth even mention that Jeff gave the PC version a 4 star review?

RT is not the only site guilty of this, but it seems like a lot of these sites are quick to out negative news and do ZERO fact checking. A lot of these situations boil down to pure laziness it seems. If you want to improve your image as a writer/podcaster/etc do your damn research!

KarmaCow

If the criteria is unwarranted criticism of a third party on a public platform, then a significant portion of the internet is "fair game."

Ultimately though, my question isn't whether they are fair game for criticism. My question is why is this eliciting such a strong reaction? It was a stupid comment on a podcast of limited influence, whose target barely even cares.

It would still be embarrassing regardless, but if it wasn't for their videos being sponsored by Bethesda and all of them literally wearing the Pipboy tchotchkes I don't think this would be as stupid. It's the hypocrisy of questioning Jeff's intentions (of all people) in his review scoring while looking like they are firmly in the pocket of Bethesda.

Shinypogs

I still find red vs blue enjoyable but I don't care for much else that the rooster teeth people do and this is not endearing them to me by any means.

Nerokis

You don't hold people in their position to higher standards than random GAF poster?

Nope. I feel invested in GAF, and it pains me when people here take a turn for the ridiculous. As far as I can tell, the RT crew has more in common with other YouTube entertainers like pewdiepie than with Jeff Gerstmann. It should take more than a misguided rant about negative reviews to make them stand out. Like I said, that is such a common sentiment, and I see nothing to lead me to believe the specific people in the RT video should be above it. I mean, the person who lead the discussion was Meg Turney, who seems to have a solid career independent to the video game industry. Not surprising to me at all she would approach the topic more from the perspective of a fan, as opposed to the perspective of a game journalist. I doubt that's in her job description.

Jizzing all over Jeff Gerstmann

tumblr_muwvj0QxIV1rvo0tro2_250.gif

Found Jeffs fallout review to be pretty on point.

PC version 4 stars.
Its Fallout. And a Bethesda game. Wish things evolved a bit more in the 5 years since the last fallout Bethesda game but its still good. A bummer the janky Bethesda engine didnt get better in the jump to next gen.

Console version 3 stars.
Same as above but OH GOD THE FRAMERATE!! And why does it look like a n64 game is spots.

Rooster Teeth be embarrassing themselves.

It's probably not wise to slander someone and say they're working for clicks. Especially when their integrity and objectivity directly corresponds to how good they are at being a game journalist.

Gerstmann is the most reliable voice in video game journalism. He admits he has biases and points them out when making his criticisms. People always talk about how he and Giant Bomb are crotchety old men who hate every thing, but the reality is that Gerstmann and the GB crew, even through all of their entertaining immaturity are probably one of the most serious sites about analyzing video games. He's probably the first opinion I go to for anything video game related. Even when I don't agree with what he thinks, I feel pretty damn sure that he's at least being honest with his opinion and that there is a sense of logic behind it.

Anyone getting this annoyed that someone didn't like a game they liked needs to get a life.

Vire

Marty Chinn all up in that thread. If opa opa makes an appearance im out.
Damn man if only they could have seen the future...

"He gave Zelda a perfect score, completely overlooking all of its
graphic glitches, including glitches in texturing, repeating textures,
and some obscene frame rate hits and slowdown.
Gerstmann is so pro-N64 that it isn't even remotely funny. His
agenda is almost as inflated as his ego. I consider anything written by
him to be immediately discountable."

I like the guys at achievement hunters and fun haus, only uploads I watch from the know are the ones produced by fun haus .....everyone else on that channels pretty much annoys the fuck outta me

Damn man if only they could have seen the future...

"He gave Zelda a perfect score, completely overlooking all of its
graphic glitches, including glitches in texturing, repeating textures,
and some obscene frame rate hits and slowdown.
Gerstmann is so pro-N64 that it isn't even remotely funny. His
agenda is almost as inflated as his ego. I consider anything written by
him to be immediately discountable."

Just need to find something from gen 6 now

Ominym

Banned
People that get mad at review scores/scorers weird me out. Don't understand why that behavior is tolerated at any level.

C4Lukins

Rooster Teeth and Giant Bomb are the only two video game oriented websites I subscribe to on YouTube. So it is sort of funny to see peoples reactions to this.

But really neither site is delving into journalism these days. Some opinions ignorant or otherwise should be seen in the context of personalities and not actual journalism.

I do find it funny that both Jeff and Ryan really hate Mario Party.

I have no idea how Roosterteeth became so big by not even trying.

I kind of lost my interest in them after they blew off all their old fans for popularity. Then you have rumors of how they both hire from and fuck the fanbase.

I dont agree with jeffs review either but who cares about reviews these days man? He could give it a 1 star and noone would give a sh.t, except a vocal, microscopic minority.

Branson

I dont agree with jeffs review either but who cares about reviews these days man? He could give it a 1 star and noone would give a sh.t, except a vocal, microscopic minority.

So wait, there is factual, video, and personal evidence that makes it fact that Fallout 4 is a technically and framerate mess on consoles, and you dont agree that there should be review implications to reflect that?

What the fuck?

Also people do care about reviews, its nice to know how a game is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I feel that what Rooster Teeth is saying is damn near irresponsible.

Fallout 4 is broken on consoles. Bethesda released a shoddy product. You don't just ignore that kind of thing.

I feel that more reviews should have called Bethesda out on this. Sure, it would still sell like crazy, but any amount of attention that can be given to its problems is potentially good for users.

The Witcher 3 received some attention for its technical issues and CDPR has worked hard to address many of them. It's still not perfect, but the performance is a far cry from what we had at launch. It's a better game now.

What exactly don't you agree with?

He gave the GAME four stars. One of those stars was removed from the console score in order to reflect that they are technically deficient. That's not really a matter of opinion either as we have plenty of hard proof demonstrating this.

Fallout 4 is the least polished console game available on PS4 and Xbox One. There is no other game on these platforms with frame-rate issues this severe. This is THE SINGLE WORST PERFORMING GAME on these platforms. How can you ignore that?

Judging by my tag I should most likely shut up in this thread but the past is the past and I have said some dumb shit in my life, so.. Here goes.

These guys need to realize that people have different expectations in what a game should and should not have. Some people accept the overall bugginess of the game and the same old inventory management etc.

Other people dislike the same repeated pattern Bethesda has been doing with almost every single game they released in the last 10 years. Opinions are opinions. Defending your game as an immature person is in no way how you can deserve respect.

This is what happens when people board the hype train and ride it hard into the gates of joyous, unrelenting, unquestioning fandom, and you know what, that happened months before a single review hit the internet. There's no question that this game, the game that they've dedicated <insert PR/marketing time cycle>, is a great game. Only a crazy person would spend so much time to end up with something that's either disappointing or just flat out mediocre. I can't imagine the seething content and vicarious anger the Rooster Crew felt when reading Jeff's review, fake Pipboys, no doubt, already attached to their arms. This wasn't just a review, it was a personal attack on their decision to ride the Fallout 4 hype train. Was Jeff right or was he a dishonest journalist attempting to gain a few more hits to his site by being an outlier? Clearly, the answer is the latter.

It's pathetic but a by-product of a marketing process that has stunted our ability to see flaws in the things we love. Anyone who does, well, they must have an agenda or played the game wrong. In other words Jeff, it's not us, it's you. There's something wrong with you and your soft, sad, cynical brain. Now stop doing it wrong and give Fallout 4 the 4/5 star review it deserves. Oh wait, you already did that with the far superior PC version.

Celebrate the reviews that are different, that contrast with your own opinions, because quite often, these are the reviews that are the most interesting. You're likely to learn a thing or two from a reviewer who had a different experience from your own. However, all that gets lost in the metacritic quest for the highest score. It's a competition now. We're seemingly being overwhelmed by a breed of gamer that doesn't like to be challenged any more. In other words, marketing and PR have won the battle for the hearts and minds of gamers. Successfully exploiting an uneasy alliance and an audience all too willing to lap up the slow drip feed of hype that builds to the release of <insert AAA game here>.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing.
Here's a copy of the email I sent to him:
Obviously you're either mad or on crack; possibly both. You'd have to
be an extremely green player to
think that becoming good doesn't reap rewards of any magnitude. I'm by
no means one of the best, and
yet button mashers such as yourself couldn't touch me. You see, it's a
thinking man's game, and there's
no place for your type. Why'd they pick you to do the review anyway? (...)
Nothing ever changes and we should all curl up in a humbling sensation of powerlessness.

Fallout 4 is the least polished console game available on PS4 and Xbox One. There is no other game on these platforms with frame-rate issues this severe. This is THE SINGLE WORST PERFORMING GAME on these platforms. How can you ignore that?

People don't want to feel that their emotional investment in the game was wasted. Truly, gamers undertake a huge burden when it comes to following a AAA game from the first initial announcement up until the game's release. It's becoming increasingly harder for them to let go when the game doesn't live up to expectations. To that end, I can kind of sympathise with Rooster Teeth's reaction, it's irrational and it's emotional and, furthermore, it's a manipulation perpetuated by this beautifully oiled machine that pushes these games out every 2-5 years. How do you let go of that kind of time investment? How do you react when some killjoy is telling you that this thing you covert is deeply flawed and disappointing? You react....poorly. Even now, I sometime catch myself getting annoyed when reading a review/feature criticising a game I've invested a large amount of time following. The more people recognise that the marketing/PR cycles of these games are designed to numb gamers to any kind of criticism, the better. Rooster Teeth can either hold their hands up or they can dig in. Unfortunately, most people choose to dig in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom