• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rooster Teeth berate Jeff Gerstmann/Giant Bomb's Fallout 4 review while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not understand. Jeff likes Fallout 4. Jeff gives PC version 4/5. Jeff takes off one star on consoles due to technical issues. Why is this bad?

D43M0N

Neo Member
jeff gerstmann has had people yelling at his review scores for 20 years i think he can handle it

also fallout 4 is a 3/5
and twilight princess was an 8.8 in hindsight

They get into a real nice discussion about Gamespot's weighting and how they scored stuff in the newest Bombcast, where Jeff specifically says he wish he could have scored it lower.

I really wish there were a few more written reviews on Giant Bomb, because a) they're all really, really damn fine writers that are fine with calling this stuff out no matter their personal ties to the games, and b) the stars rating is way more adaptable than a rigid scoring system. Metacritic has grown to be almost useless nowadays, but taking the star score on a basis of:

1 star: pretty much complete and utter trash
2 stars: passable, but barely
3 stars: what you'd expect, and if you're a fan, you'll probably like it
4 stars: iterates and expands, and exceeds expectations if you're a fan
5 stars: everyone will enjoy this game

Fallout 4 seems to sit perfectly in those guidelines. Of course, the actual content of the review matters way more than the ultimate score, so I take the five minutes to read them which seems to be less and less the case.

Corpekata

Banned
I would say people criticizing Jeff's opinions is just as fair as people criticizing Fallout. Both are subjective!

And before anyone tries to say Fallout 4 is objectively bad. There are far more positive views of Fallout 4 than negative ones. And that is the whole reason why Jeff's subjective opinion was being singled out in the first place!

Also Jeff needs no defending. He can defend himself. He aint no baby!

His review is positive too....

It's a fucking 3/5, and a 4/5 on PC because it didn't have the technical issues he hated.

GulAtiCa

Wow. That is down right pathetic of them. It just be petty if it was just them disliking his reviews on that alone. But being made apparent they are just annoying fanboys who can't take a non-perfect review with a mic, is just sad really.

ike_

Sometimes when I'm thinking like this, I go back to their Motorbike's Quick Look; never saw him laugh as much as in that video. And as said above, Mario Maker did something to his heart.

Not that it bothers me; I have a lot of respect towards him for the way he expresses his opinions.

sooooogood.gif, pretty sure that's one of the last Vinny & Jeff QLs we got before the GBWEast split.

RoosterTeeth have been known to shill for companies. As if their Halo videos and years of promotion with Microsoft wasnt enough of a hint.

2573240-xbox_launchmcdonalds.gif

Its almost as bad as this.

#XBOXONE

wtf is this

Welfare

I don't watch The Patch that much anymore, but yeah that was kinda bad. Ryan though, he's always sarcastic.

I am having difficulty empathizing with the anger at Rooster Teeth here.

RT is an entertainment company which hasn't positioned itself as a source for game critique for as long as I can remember. They talk about games, but not in the capacity of an opinion leader or taste maker.

I guess I just fail to see what the big deal is. A bunch of guys who aren't games journalist said something dumb about a games journalist. Why the fuck should anyone besides the parties involved care?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The regular podcast that is about anything and everything can be fun to listen to, depending on who is on it. But I agree that most gaming stuff they do is pretty bad. A lot of misinformation being spouted in The Patch.

I like some of their let's play videos though.

And I see nothing wrong with that, game shouldn't get a free pass because it's Fallout. If the performance is crappy and there's a lot of bugs, it doesn't deserve a great score. That shit needs to be called out and not ignored.
I remember their infamous bayonetta 2 video

They talk about it in this video, they are negative about it but still trying to figure it out. I selected just one part where they are negative if you don't have long to watch the full thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1StPJgWkN-U#t=722

I think from memory in their game of the year deliberations the xbox one reveal was the fail of the year or something. Very harshly talked about at least.

Thanks for this, will watch it later. No clue why I thought otherwise, must be thinking about a different website.

RT is an entertainment company which hasn't positioned itself as a source for game critique for as long as I can remember. They talk about games, but not in the capacity of an opinion leader or taste maker.

I guess I just fail to see what the big deal is. A bunch of guys who aren't games journalist said something dumb about a games journalist. Why the fuck should anyone besides the parties involved care?
Groups sponsored by a product then bash others for how they rate that product is kind of skeevy if you want to take Giant Bomb out of the equation.

MiguelItUp

I've never really gotten into Rooster Teeth but this is pretty damn embarrassing in my opinion. Why even bring up another reviewer's score if you disagree with it, it's an opinion and there's nothing wrong with that. However it is amusing to me that they talk about it like he berated the game and he most definitely didn't. If I was reviewing a game and came across technical issues that hindered my experience, I would most definitely bring them up. He's certainly not in the wrong.

so i just bought a premium sub.

how do i get the most out of it? Do I have to pop onto their website everyday now to check for new content? Or are there apps or feeds that let me know when they do something live or release a new video that allows me to get the most of my years worth?

i hope i made sense here.

IISANDERII

Probably worth mentioning the founder of RT seems to have a lot of respect for Gerstmann, and they've been on each other's panels. This looks like an uninformed cosplayer said something dumb, and the other guys went with it.

Even the RT community savaged them over it. Here's Ryan's response in their subreddit where he doubles-down (check the downvotes)

PqDn1iR.png
He had never heard of Jeff Gerstman?? That's like being a trumpeter and not knowing who Miles Davis is.

Trojan

I heard this podcast and mainly felt it was Meg who ignited it as OP said. It was a stupid comment to make regarding reviews. Really stupid. But I don't think there's anything more here than one person's opinion. Gus is a huge Fallout fan so of course he's going to love the game, and Ryan is always pretty opinionated.

Personally, I love Fallout 4 but I can totally understand Jeff's review. I always love the fact that Jeff doesn't give a fuck and never holds back his opinion.

Groups sponsored by a product then bash others for how they rate that product is kind of sceevy if you want to take Giant Bomb out of the equation.

Yeah, its skeevy, I'm not disagreeing with you nor am I attempting to defend Rooster Teeth or justify their comments.

I'm just struggling to understand why anyone even gives a shit. Conflicts of interest are nothing novel, especially in terms of video game journalist and internet fandom.

I guess I just don't see what the big deal is.

PBalfredo

Having listened to the Bombcast and watched Unprofessional Fridays, the idea that Jeff or anyone at GiantBomb is a "wine and cheese" guy is hilarous.

yami4ct

how do i get the most out of it? Do I have to pop onto their website everyday now to check for new content? Or are there apps or feeds that let me know when they do something live or release a new video that allows me to get the most of my years worth?

There's a premium podcast feed that will feed you all the premium audio stuff. Basically right now that's ad-less Bomcast and Beastcasts, Alt+F1 and the Power Bombcast on occasion.

For videos, people will post about them here and there's a premium section on their website. Most of their stuff runs on a fairly set schedule. Both the easy coast and west coasts do at least 1 stream a week. The East coast staff is doing 2 a week fairly often. The staff twitters will usually mention a stream before it goes live as will the official Giant Bomb twitter.

For other premium video features like Ranking of Fighters and Metal Gear Scanlon, that stuff will get featured on the upcoming part of their main page significantly before going on the site.

how do i get the most out of it? Do I have to pop onto their website everyday now to check for new fnord? Or are there apps or feeds that let me know when they do something live or release a new video that allows me to get the most of my years worth?

Here ya go.

Flight Club and anything Paul Ryckert are my personal favorites.

I would say people criticizing Jeff's opinions is just as fair as people criticizing Fallout. Both are subjective!

If only it were just that. RT talked about the same bugs in their Podcast. There is another video linked to in this very thread (with Meg Turney hosting) about the bugs. Even that video references Jeff.

They didn't say they disagreed with his review. They said they think he only reviewed it low to be contrarian and generate clicks for Giantbomb. They questioned his integrity not his review.

bobeth

They bashed an outsider review on a public podcast, I'd say it's fair game to care..

There's a premium podcast feed that will feed you all the premium audio stuff. Basically right now that's ad-less Bomcast and Beastcasts, Alt+F1 and the Power Bombcast on occasion.

For videos, people will post about them here and there's a premium section on their website. Most of their stuff runs on a fairly set schedule. Both the easy coast and west coasts do at least 1 stream a week. The East coast staff is doing 2 a week fairly often. The staff twitters will usually mention a stream before it goes live as will the official Giant Bomb twitter.

For other premium video features like Ranking of Fighters and Metal Gear Scanlon, that stuff will get featured on the upcoming part of their main page significantly before going on the site.

Here ya go.

Flight Club and anything Paul Ryckert are my personal favorites.

thank you for the suggestions! :D

Comments like theirs, while not expected, don't really surprise me. If I want good game criticism, The Know certainly isn't on my list, due in part that I find Gus Sorola and Meg Turney hideously awkward. I can't get a good opinion of a game watching their videos, whether it be them having difficulty of getting a point across or, if it's a game I've played before, them missing the point completely.

What happened to Adam Kovic and Bruce Greene? I'm not a big Rooster Teeth guy, but all I know is that I unsubscribed from The Know once I realized they stopped popping up in videos. They were professional and well spoken.

Doesn't need to be said, but Jeff Gerstmann and the Giant Bomb guys are some of the realest dudes in the industry. Mind boggling to assume he gave that score for "clicks". And if he claims he doesn't know Jeff, why even call him out on it in the first place?

Side note: is Rooster Teeth really this big? I just remember them as the Red vs. Blue guys. Are the people who made those videos still around with that company or did they move on to other things?

RE_Player

Not only am I baffled by the statements Rooster Teeth have made I am baffled by some of the comments in this thread that are somehow a dig at Jeff as well. Guys it's 2015. I thought by now we would understand and grow as a society in terms of reviews and scores. Jeff's review is his opinion on the game. End of story. You can disagree with it, agree with it, think the problems he encountered aren't a big deal for you but at the end of the day his review is his thoughts and opinion on the game.

Rooster Teeth seem like cool guys but when it comes to games stick to the entertainment and promotional side of things and don't get involved with criticizing others for their opinions. It just makes them seem like shills.

RyanW

Side note: is Rooster Teeth really this big? I just remember them as the Red vs. Blue guys. Are the people who made those videos still around with that company or did they move on to other things?

Yes and yes. RvB is still a thing. They still do the podcast. Achievement Hunter is still a thing. All the original people who started the company are still there.

Mask

Shills gonna shill.

Giantbomb is one of the few sites I actually trust anymore, and Jeff knows his shit. The Quicklooks are always fantastic and usually hilarious!

we're like at the point where is Jeff is probably thinking "I'm getting old for this shit." and that makes me rethink my opinions more often than not

One of the handful most senior reviewers in the entire industry with two decades worth of written reviews, and people (in the same industry) are questioning his intent?

My taste and Jeff's don't often line up and that's fine, because we're different people, but I've never doubted his sincerity and beyond the actual review he always backs up his opinion.

I wish so badly gaming reviews would approach the diversity of film criticism but that seems incresingly unlikely considering how immature and toxic gaming culture continues to be.

Stop getting angry when your opinion doesn't line up with others and wanting reviews to exist to only stroke your ego and reaffirm what you think.

CazTGG

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't these people (Not the same people necessarily, but people under the RoosterTeeth brand) personally insult AngryJoe in a video? If so, i'm not surprised they'd have beef with someone more credible than them in the medium of video games & the criticism therein given that embarrassing display. I don't agree with Jeff Gerstmann on quite a few of his criticisms (Hello Yoshi's Island), but his criticisms are well-argued regardless of my own view of a given game. This immature "a critic is trying to stand out by giving a bad score" Reddit-level discourse in response to a review makes them look disgraceful.

Nerokis

It's an unfortunate segment all around, but it's hard for me to care. I'm not sure I've ever watched or listened to Rooster Teeth content before this, and the sentiment they're expressing isn't nearly rare enough to be particularly jarring. GAFfers throw around comments along the same lines all the time, even in this very thread. I'm not going to demonize the Rooster Teeth people in particular just because they're entertainers within the industry.

Haunted

I sure could go for some tasty, tasty McDonalds right now. But then again McDonalds' time is all the time, am I right guys? Mmmmhhhh I'm loving it.
Fantastapotamus, I haven't seen you talk from the heart like that in a long time.

I feel like I can really relate to your obvious authenticity, and by extension, will believe and follow everything you say.

FROM THE HEART YOU GUYS

It's an unfortunate segment all around, but it's hard for me to care. I'm not sure I've ever watched or listened to Rooster Teeth content before this, and the sentiment they're expressing isn't nearly rare enough to be particularly jarring. GAFfers throw around comments along the same lines all the time, even in this very thread. I'm not going to demonize the Rooster Teeth people in particular just because they're entertainers within the industry.
You don't hold people in their position to higher standards than random GAF poster?

I guess I just fail to see what the big deal is. A bunch of guys who aren't games journalist said something dumb about a games journalist.

Seems like you do fail to see what the big deal is. No one cares that RT dissed Gerstmann. They cared that they shit talked about people giving a game a review score have ulterior motives.... while they obviously were in the tank for the game in question.

They bashed an outsider review on a public podcast, I'd say it's fair game to care..

If the criteria is unwarranted criticism of a third party on a public platform, then a significant portion of the internet is "fair game."

Ultimately though, my question isn't whether they are fair game for criticism. My question is why is this eliciting such a strong reaction? It was a stupid comment on a podcast of limited influence, whose target barely even cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom