• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rooster Teeth berate Jeff Gerstmann/Giant Bomb's Fallout 4 review while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy the game more than Jeff did, but have no problem with his review. I also really don't think Jeff gives a flying fuck about what any other site has to say about his work.

lol, yeah, that "wine and cheese" comment was directed at him. What a fucking liar.

*squirms*
"Uh, just because I said it in the middle of a conversation about a specific person doesn't mean it's about him!"

Ridiculous logic. He got caught shit-talking for no reason. Man up, take the L, move on.

Voror

I remember listening to the podcast this came up on and was just shaking my head the whole way through. They also didn't mention that while the console version got 3/5, the PC got 4/5. The idea that Jeff would purposefully give a lower score just for attention seems rather laughable when really it's that he felt the bugs lowered the quality of the game, which is perfectly reasonable.

dhonk

Probably worth mentioning the founder of RT seems to have a lot of respect for Gerstmann, and they've been on each other's panels. This looks like an uninformed cosplayer said something dumb, and the other guys went with it.

Even the RT community savaged them over it. Here's Ryan's response in their subreddit where he doubles-down (check the downvotes)

PqDn1iR.png

not classy tbh

inky

Pretty much proof that Jeff is still the best. Having said that:

Meg Turney: "Ok, so I have a bone to pick. And it's people who review shit low. Because I feel like people do that to be 'eh we're different'. Everybody gave Fallout 4 90s and up. 70. You're not different or special because you review a game low!"

She'd fit right in here. People go apeshit and throw equivalent hissy fits once their darling games are scored lower by an outlet, see every Naughty Dog review thread and the like.

Riki

No, that doesn't seem suspicious at all.
I also always take Polygon's word on all things Playstation and trust Keighley when it comes to Halo reviews.

This industry is gross.

JoseLopez

I finished Fallout 4 on PS4 and share the same view on overall technical performance as Gerstmann does. It's the worst I've seen in a console game this year, for sure.
I wouldn't go that far but yeah it's certainly got issues.
This sounds more like rooster teeth running their mouth like dummies like that Ryan guy spouts so much inaccurate bs it's kinda scary how he still has a job.

I've always maintained that YouTubers were the video gaming equivalent of mommy bloggers and this certainly doesn't change my mind on the issue.

Hupsel

Lol and they target Gertsmann, the guy that gave Kane & Lynch a low score and lost his job because of it, even if his website was gettin $$ from Eidos. If theres someone I trust is ma friend Jeff
fuck that Nuts and Bolts review though

Fitts

I'm not familiar with the specific review in question and I have no idea if the Rooster Teeth comments were off base in this circumstance, but I'm glad to read that someone is publicly taking Gerstmann to task in some form. The guy is a stick-in-the-mud blight on games media that's treated like a messiah for giving one shit game a mediocre review a decade ago. He has zero enthusiasm and only cynicism for gaming -- and it shows in both his writing as well as his podcast. He should just switch over to writing about wrestling or something that he actually enjoys.

SJRB

Gold Member
Embarrassing, really. But at least this thread got Rooster Teeth more exposure than they've had all month.

PBY

Banned
I'm not familiar with the specific review in question and I have no idea of the Rooster Teeth comments were off base in this circumstance, but I'm glad to read that someone is publicly taking Gerstmann to task. The guy is a stick-in-the-mud blight on games media that's treated like a messiah for giving one shit game a mediocre review a decade ago. He has zero enthusiasm and only cynicism for gaming -- and it shows in both his writing as well as his podcast. He should just switch over to writing about wrestling or something that he actually enjoys.

Wait what?

Zader

Banned
How on earth do they expect to be taken seriously saying shit like this? Whilst wearing those dumb plastic pipboys too...come on.

FStop7

Banned
I enjoy the game more than Jeff did, but have no problem with his review. I also really don't think Jeff gives a flying fuck about what any other site has to say about his work.

I guess that's why I'm doubly confused as to why some are so up in arms about his review. Jeff makes salient, realistic points and criticisms. It's not like he was making shit up or making ill-informed criticisms. FO4 is my GOTY (which surprised me in a huge way) but there's nothing I really disagree with in his review.

Pretty much proof that Jeff is still the best. Having said that:

She'd fit right in here. People go apeshit and throw equivalent hissy fits once their darling games are scored lower by an outlet, see every Naughty Dog review thread and the like.

This is true. In a lot of Review Threads, when a negative one comes along, a majority of threads seem to say "everyone else is giving it good reviews so this guy must be wrong." I've even seen bad reviews called clickbait by users in those topics.

Big name franchises usually get passes that other games do not. That should be frowned upon. We need more objective journalism.

Cday

Banned
That review was Jeff's honest opinion. I find myself disagreeing with his opinions often and don't put as much stock into them as some might. Still there's an inherent difference between giving something a lower score because it lines up with your opinion and doing it for attention. 3/5 is still a positive score.

Zojirushi

lol I dunno isn't this what happens in pretty much every AAA game Review Thread on GAF?

Like, just watch when he ends up not liking Uncharted 4. Oh boy...

Kade

These YouTube gaming personalities become more intolerable and unappealing every time they open their mouths. Not surprised they respond this way to criticism of products made by companies paying their bills though.

theytookourjobz

So Ryan says they base their reviews on the "gamers experience" and not by the games technical issues? Do they think that "gamers" aren't bothered by technical issues? Why do they think Digital Foundry exists?

Saying that the bugs and technical problems with the game are overblown is just disgusting. My friend lost 6 hours of progress because of a bug that made progression impossible. Technical problems should not be swept under the rug just because it's a big franchise. It can still be a good game whole getting it's score lowered due to technical stuff.

Breads

Banned
What is rooster teeth?

An organization of people that generated millions of dollars by being fanboys of things.

I love Fallout 4. Sacrificed a week of vacations and several entire nights playing it (close to 100 hours) and I still am readily being able to agree with every single point in the Giant Bomb review. The problem isn't that Giant Bomb scores games too low. The problem other reviewers have with how GB scores is that GB doesn't follow the retarded 90+ good/ 80-89 average/ 70 and below bad scale that every other corporate shill uses.

(multiple edits later - my bad english is getting the better of me today)

Best part of this is the goobers doubling down. If they'd said "Yeeeah it was a dumb thing to say, we weren't having a serious conversation and we're sorry we articulated ourselves so poorly" this would have all gone away. Instead, here we are.

I'm not familiar with the specific review in question and I have no idea of the Rooster Teeth comments were off base in this circumstance, but I'm glad to read that someone is publicly taking Gerstmann to task. The guy is a stick-in-the-mud blight on games media that's treated like a messiah for giving one shit game a mediocre review a decade ago. He has zero enthusiasm and only cynicism for gaming -- and it shows in both his writing as well as his podcast. He should just switch over to writing about wrestling or something that he actually enjoys.

Are you serious? I can't believe you're being serious so I'm going to assume you're being sarcastic.

In case you're not: people can be passionate about gaming without having to turn the other way when it comes to flaws in good games, or even just plain old mediocre games.

Curufinwe

lol I dunno isn't this what happens in pretty much every AAA game Review Thread on GAF?

Like, just watch when he ends up not liking Uncharted 4. Oh boy...

Brad or Dan will review it. Jeff didn't like The Last of Us and no one really cared cause he didn't review it.

I'm not familiar with the specific review in question and I have no idea of the Rooster Teeth comments were off base in this circumstance, but I'm glad to read that someone is publicly taking Gerstmann to task in some form. The guy is a stick-in-the-mud blight on games media that's treated like a messiah for giving one shit game a mediocre review a decade ago. He has zero enthusiasm and only cynicism for gaming -- and it shows in both his writing as well as his podcast. He should just switch over to writing about wrestling or something that he actually enjoys.

That's it. Let it all out. It's like a dam bursting.

Game journalism drama is the worst. Just do your damn job. Why shit on other peoples websites or reviews? Make your own and let your readers or viewers decide who they trust.

And then to feel the need to defend your stuff on Reddit and such. You have your own website. If you got something to share about it, write an article or make a video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom