• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Atlus to Localize Yakuza 5 in the West

Exr

I really don't get why people fuss over that. Other mainline Yakuza games have you dating hostesses, fixing up relationships, and singing Karaoke. Are a couple rhythm game sequences that threatening to the player's manhood?

I can't speak for others but honestly the Karaoke and dating hostess parts are things I don't engage in either. It's not a manhood thing of course. I just don't want to play as a girl in idol competitions or whatever in a game called Yakuza about the Yakuza.

I'll try it if I get the chance to in English, but as a fan from the first game I have to say the Haruka stuff looks completley uninteresting to me. Can't see a lot of people who buy the series to suplex fools onto concrete liking it either, but I'll keep an open mind I guess...how much of the game would you say consists of playing as Haruka?

beggars can't be choosers. Fans of this series are beggars.

Hey, is quarterman still a part of EGM? who was he really?

I just asked a couple Atlus USA folks and they haven't heard anything about this. FWIW. Seems pretty unlikely to me - they're not a big company and they just announced like 4 new Persona games.

Yeah, I figured this was EGM bullshit/wishful thinking. They were kind of famous for this back in the old days.

Yasumi

Banned
I can't speak for others but honestly the Karaoke and dating hostess parts are things I don't engage in either. It's not a manhood thing of course. I just don't want to play as a girl in idol competitions or whatever in a game called Yakuza about the Yakuza.

You mean Ryu ga Gotoku/Like a Dragon? =P

rvy

Banned
I just don't want to play as a girl in idol competitions or whatever in a game called Yakuza about the Yakuza.

That makes zero sense!

You must be afraid of catching the gay or something.

*uguuuuuuuuuuuuuuu*

Is Haruka too much kawaiiiii for you?

cj_iwakura

I'm willing to bet real Yakuza have a lot of stakes in the idol industry.

Astarte

I like it because it breaks up some of the tense moments, and because it's, well, fun. Then again this is coming from a guy who swims in idol stuff so I can't say much.

Prelude.

I just asked a couple Atlus USA folks and they haven't heard anything about this. FWIW. Seems pretty unlikely to me - they're not a big company and they just announced like 4 new Persona games.

It's fine, it's coming from @giocorsi anyway.
Believe.

rvy

Banned
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being Katamari Damacy and 10 being Killer7, this is like an 8.

sappcry.gif

I really don't get why people fuss over that. Other mainline Yakuza games have you dating hostesses, fixing up relationships, and singing Karaoke. Are a couple rhythm game sequences that threatening to the player's manhood?

For me, it isn't that. I just think if they're going to bring Haruka out of the supporting cast into being a playable character, I'd rather they do it with some respect and have her take part in the main gameplay of the series. It's pretty retrograde to bring her in, and them immediately confine her to dancing as her gameplay.

When I heard Haruka was going to be playable I was initially excited about that, cos I didn't expect that. Yakuza is a very male-centric series, which is fine, but hearing they seemed to be expanding the scope out to having a female main character, too, sounded good. Then I read she was gonna play dress-up doll and I just got annoyed at them, more than I would than if they had just left the playable characters all male.

Yasumi

Banned
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being Katamari Damacy and 10 being Killer7, this is like an 8.

It's not that bad. Follow the pink markers on the map, beat up some guys, watch a cutscene, go to the next pink marker. There are a few times when you might get stuck, but guides exist. Even sidestories are marked on the map.

rvy

Banned
For me, it isn't that. I just think if they're going to bring Haruka out of the supporting cast into being a playable character, I'd rather they do it with some respect and have her take part in the main gameplay of the series. It's pretty retrograde to bring her in, and them immediately confine her to dancing as her gameplay.

When I heard Haruka was going to be playable I was initially excited about that, cos I didn't expect that. Yakuza is a very male-centric series, which is fine, but hearing they seemed to be expanding the scope out to having a female main character, too, sounded good. Then I read she was gonna play dress-up doll and I just got annoyed at them, more than I would than if they had just left the playable characters all male.

Did you forget that Yakuza is developed in Japan? By Japanese people no less?
What on Earth gave you this idea?

cj_iwakura

That makes sense to me, but most arguments I've read boil down to not wanting to do any rhythm game stuff. I think it looks fun, since it's basically just Project Diva.
(They still should have let her suplex fools though.)

It's not that bad. Follow the pink markers on the map, beat up some guys, watch a cutscene, go to the next pink marker. There are a few times when you might get stuck, but guides exist. Even sidestories are marked on the map.

You're not going to enjoy any of the stories, though. I'm sure there's side stories that involve finding certain items and things like that, too. If you were playing Yakuza 2 in Japanese, how would you know to buy beer and a purse for that one story event?

Coxy

Aside from their april fool's jokes, what of their rumors was complete BS? I remember their rumor section being right a bunch of times.

literally fucking hundreds of things, possibly even thousands, just google site:neogaf.com EGM rumor for years and years of garbage

MGS4 360, FF7 remake, Microsoft buying capcom stand out as 3 of the longest running most annoying pieces of bullshit they spewed out

Videoneon

literally fucking hundreds of things, possibly even thousands, just google site:neogaf.com EGM rumor for years and years of garbage

MGS4 360, FF7 remake, Microsoft buying capcom stand out as 3 of the longest running most annoying pieces of bullshit they spewed out

Virtua Cop Wii. =\

fates

Wait a minute I thought Atlus being bought by Sega meant there would be LESS localizations not more

my brain

everything is backwards, I don't understand!

That makes sense to me, but most arguments I've read boil down to not wanting to do any rhythm game stuff. I think it looks fun, since it's basically just Project Diva.
(They still should have let her suplex fools though.)

There's always a danger when you mix and match genres like that in the same game. I can easily see someone who is expecting a beat em up being super pissed at suddenly playing a rhythm game to progress in the story. Especially if you aren't used to it, or not particularly good at it.

Coxy

There's always a danger when you mix and match genres like that in the same game. I can easily see someone who is expecting a beat em up being super pissed at suddenly playing a rhythm game to progress in the story. Especially if you aren't used to it, or not particularly good at it.

that's a really stupid argument to make about Yakuza though, you'll have to golf and hostess and fish and do a bunch of shit to progress the story in the games

Yasumi

Banned
You're not going to enjoy any of the stories, though. I'm sure there's side stories that involve finding certain items and things like that, too. If you were playing Yakuza 2 in Japanese, how would you know to buy beer and a purse for that one story event?

The sidestories would definitely be a little rough, but the main story is super straight forward, probably more so than previous Yakuza games. The only two points where I imagine someone might get stuck in the main story are finding gang members wearing red clothes in Kiryu's story, which don't show up on the map, and knowing the correct passwords for one part in Saejima's story.

Cutscenes are fairly kinetic, so you'll be able to figure out alliances and relationships, but not the finer details.

bon

I'm still waiting for Earthbound Trilogy DS.

Artorias

Banned

I think after Star Wars Episode 1 came out they had a "rumor" that Square was going to make an Episode 1 RPG. Yea, they had a lot of really obvious bullshit back then. They would even sugarcoat it and take as little responsibility as possible. It was a fun segment but the fact that they didn't even believe half of it made it hard to take seriously.

Come to think of it, I feel like they had rumors of Square making some huge IP into a game every few months in the PS1 days.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

The thing is, if Atlus WERE localizing this, they wouldn't have just said "Oh, yeah, we're totally doing it. Surprise!" So I'm still going to wait and see what happens. I don't think Y5 being localized is impossible quite yet.

_hekk05

Banned
The thing is, if Atlus WERE localizing this, they wouldn't have just said "Oh, yeah, we're totally doing it. Surprise!" So I'm still going to wait and see what happens. I don't think Y5 being localized is impossible quite yet.

Woots we just barged across 3 steps in 1 go.
Denial - Anger - Bargaining -
Depression
-
Acceptance

lupin23rd

For the guys who are worried about playing as Haruka:

- I'd say you play as her the least (given that half her chapter is played as Akiyama).
- You have to do a lot of the "mini games" for her once, but can skip a lot of content and progress through the story, hence the first point.
- Her story isn't all lollipops and sunshine and rainbows.
- It's actually pretty cool and a refreshing change of pace, but I realize that doesn't work for everyone.
- Other than the dance battles replacing fights her gameplay is basically the same as anyone else.

Her stuff really is central to the story and I think once you guys see how it integrates in there you'll be OK with it (unless you hate rhythm games) :)

Top Bottom