• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Atlus to Localize Yakuza 5 in the West

please

OH GOD PLEASE YES

True story that I'm ashamed of:

I sold off my Y3 and Y4 due to knowing that Y5 was never coming to the west…. they were in my backlog and I still hadn't gotten around to playing them yet T___T

Astarte

please

OH GOD PLEASE YES

I sold off my Y3 and Y4 due to knowing that Y5 was never coming to the west…. they were in my backlog and I still hadn't gotten around to playing them yet T___T

That's what you get for not having a hilariously high amount of hope!
It's not too late to buy them back

Wasn't there a survey not long ago by Ubisoft asking people who finished AC4 if they'd like a pirate spinoff totally unrelated to the AC franchise. I assume they'd use some of AC stealth mechanics in that spinoff. Still, who knows.
Anyway, I agree that Sega should've spent their money localizing 5 instead of DS, but I still appreciate the effort invested in bringing DS to the west. Kenzan was really awesome, but playing it in jp while using a translation on the side was a real drag, and the reason why I haven't imported 5.

There's a bigger problem with the Yakuza series in places besides Japan - they just don't sell enough to warrant a release. Like, Dead Souls didn't help, but the Yakuza games never sell anything.

I hope this is true, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I really hope so. I don't really know if it was covered in the last thread but is it possible that we could now see Yakuza 5 and such in the West, courtesy of Atlus? If I remember correctly, Atlus released some Sega GBA games in the states.

Even back in September, I had a feeling... :D

sublimit

Banned
I'm not going to get excited yet.
But if it's true then congrats to Atlus and a big FUCK YOU to my dear Sega.

Clov

Haven't played a Yakuza game before, but this one looked looked pretty great to me. If it comes to the West, I'll be sure to pick it up.

Hang on I have to compose myself.....FUCK YES!! Please happen Atlus. Does anyone from Atlus post on this site?

Heck, setup a kickstarter. I would donate to get this over to the states.

sublimit

Banned
Haven't played a Yakuza game before, but this one looked looked pretty great to me. If it comes to the West, I'll be sure to pick it up.

As much as i want the game if i'm being honest graphically it didn't looked as good as Y3 and 4 did judging from the demo.

Squire

Banned
I'm not going to get excited yet.
But if it's true then congrats to Atlus and a big FUCK YOU to my dear Sega.

Except this wouldn't be happening without Sega giving the go-ahead?

Sega owns Atlus, so you'd basically be thanking them, anyway?

L Thammy

Perhaps the opportunity cost for Atlus is lower since they make niche games anyway. I'm hoping they can do a digital release of HD: I want to jump on this Yakuza train from the beginning.

Fodder76

Super thrilled if this turns out to be true.

I was thinking though, if I was a huge Atlus fan, but not a Yakuza fan, I might be irked at news like this. Sega taking their time away from things they might have otherwise been doing to translate Yakuza.

But as I am a fan of both I welcome this news with open arms. :)

Carnby

I don't even have a ps3 anymore, but I will buy this game DAY ONE just to show them that NA still loves Yakuza.

rvy

Banned
please

OH GOD PLEASE YES

exzeh3f453zlguf7jf7ufvhp03.gif

So it seems like Atlus, in addition to its own games, will sort of become Sega's in house translators as well? That'd be an interesting setup.

That's assuming this rumor is true of course.

So it seems like Atlus, in addition to its own games, will sort of become Sega's in house translators as well? That'd be an interesting setup.

It'd be a great situation for both of them. Sega makes quite a few games that they only release in Japan that could probably do pretty well here if marketed right. It'd allow "Sega" to stick to their western strategy of Sonic, Alien, Football Manager and Total War while giving Atlus US access to a lineup of software that they never had before.

It sounded like Sega pretty much gutted SoA not too long before the purchase. Wouldn't be surprising if Atlus' American branch essentially becomes the new SoA as far as localizing goes.

Mesoian

please

OH GOD PLEASE YES

...Nothing about this story makes any sense.

Except when 1 and 2 HD were on Wii U.

Yeah. Extreme bomba.

Though I've never thought about whether or not Yakuza would cater to an unfilfilled niche amongst PC gamers.

Yakuza appearing on PC is a possibility, the thing is what kind of deal (if any) SEGA may have made with Sony past the first 2 titles for exclusivity and convincing SEGA/Nagoshi/RGG studios that PC ports are worth allocating time/resources (Yea, Binary Domain got ported, but that was a separate situation).

Koppai

Omg omg omg omh yes yes yes fuck yes!!

Please be true :)

This is one of the first ideas that popped in my head when SEGA aquired Atlus...

Tiu Neo

You'll get your heart broken soon enough.

I know it. Deep in my heart, I know that Yakuza 5 will never be released stateside, and we'll probably never see Persona 5 in english.

But I want to believe. Let me believe, at least a bit more. :(

Top Bottom