• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Damian Wayne-led Batman game in dev? [Up: New rumors plus Suicide Squad]

I like Damian, but I have a really, really hard time believing they would make presumably a AAA game with him as the lead instead of Nightwing, Tim Drake or especially just Batman. If they do, if it's not in the possible future where Damian is a trench coat wearing lunatic Batman in a neo-post apocalyptic Gotham then I cannot fathom why he is the lead instead of Bruce Wayne.

I like Damian, but I have a really, really hard time believing they would make presumably a AAA game with him as the lead instead of Nightwing, Tim Drake or especially just Batman. If they do, if it's not in the possible future where Damian is a trench coat wearing lunatic Batman in a neo-post apocalyptic Gotham then I cannot fathom why he is the lead instead of Bruce Wayne.

WB is pushing Damian Wayne in every other media, makes sense he gets his own game.

Yeah doing a loot based suicide squad game sounds very odd to me. Id have to see it in action to really understand what that would be like.

The Damien game seems more interesting as odd as that feels to say out loud.

casiopao

Yeah doing a loot based suicide squad game sounds very odd to me. Id have to see it in action to really understand what that would be like.

The Damien game seems more interesting as odd as that feels to say out loud.

Actually i can see that Suicide Squad on loot based game. It will be a group of villain who will went out to do mission for the government to cut down their prison time every time they went out to the field. They will just get thrown out in the middle of battle field and loot the place for weapon or anything that can help them to face the enemy.

After how they handled Arkham Origins, not to mention how lackluster the game turned out, what indication is there that WB Montreal would be up to taking over for Rocksteady? Arkham Origins was buggy as hell. And its level design was lackluster and boring. Worse yet, there were less grapple points for the player to use, which made navigation a chore, especially given that the overworld map was doubled for Origins.

If WB Montreal is in fact doing the next post-Arkham Batman game, I'm hoping, but not expecting a polished product. Especially given that they really don't have much meat on their resume.

What factors do they have going for them since that time that may make them more competent this time around? The original Mega Man didn't set Nintendo's world on fire, but they released Mega Man 2 a couple years later and it was off to the races from that point on.

As much as some people feel that Arkham Origins was received abit harsh, I can't get over its glaring technical setbacks. It made me appreciate Arkham City even more given how stiff Origins handled by comparison. I'm open to the Arkham series being helmed by another studio, but I don't have confidence in them. Have they showed any signs that they're aware of Origins' shortcomings? And what indications are there that they'd have a shot of delivering a solid product going forward? The fact that they helped Rocksteady on some of Arkham Knight's DLC?

Ross61

Fixing it would've been replacing it with Damian. What you did was just factually incorrect. :D

He got better as he got more experience, sure. But infallible? A guy who can't save his girlfriends, his stepmom, his dad, or any of his best friends is absolutely not that. The run when he was on Red Robin was pretty freaking awesome. He was a human super computer but he kinda couldn't fight all that well. Which is why Dick could beat Ra's 1v1 but Tim "tried" and got rekt. That's what was good about pre-N52 Bat-verse--everyone had their specialties and weaknesses.

I get it, though. You feel about Tim (somehow) how I felt about Harper Row, before they (thankfully) jettisoned her out of the Bat-world.

And, so this guy's been vetted but hasn't really "leaked" anything. Bummer lol. I'm hoping at least some of this game is inaccurate, but there are bits and pieces that are really cool sounding.
Lmao at thinking Harper Row is gone for long.

RedHill

Banned
Morning guys.

I am not able to post artworks and 3D modells out of resepect for my source, but I will give you the little information that I have.

Indeed, WB Montreal is working on two games right now.

Suicide Squad, in which they go help from Rocksteady.

- is a brawler
- you create your own avatar, grow it out, with tiers of rewards
- many characters to choose
- coop-action
- Borderlands esque

EDIT: These games are not labeled Arkham, so this is probably an alternative continuity!

Thank you so much for the info. Can you specify what you mean about the avatar?

Edit: just saw that I was answered! My bad I don't know how to delete

I mean I just don't get the Damien angle. Most people other than comic book fans only really know Dick as Robin anyway and even then most people don't. They just know "Robin" and Damien didn't even get the chance to be Robin in any of the other games.

I'll wait to see it before passing judgement, but I really, really want a DickBats game.

WB and DC are pushing Damian, hard. He's in the current animated movies, a member of the Teen Titans, and THE Robin until someone else takes the role. If this game is some alternate universe like Arkham Origins then it makes sense why Damian would be the choice.

RedHill

Banned
The news about Suicide Squad is underwhelming. It sounds a bit messy. It also looks like they are in fact abandoning continuity because of a certain villain inclusion that was listed for the Damian game.

The news about Suicide Squad is underwhelming. It sounds a bit messy. It also looks like they are in fact abandoning continuity because of a certain villain inclusion that was listed for the Damian game.

Not really.
She was more plant than human at that point. Could have regrown or some other explaination.

dan2026

Damian is defiantly an interesting character if they go with the good vs evil, assassin vs superhero angle.

Also the brief glimpses into the Damian Batman future are very interesting in the comics. Lots of wacky shit from Mr Morrison.

Bring on Two-face 2!

After how they handled Arkham Origins, not to mention how lackluster the game turned out

Origins was actually really good, the biggest issue was simply WB stopped funding them for post release content (ie patches).

It's not that the other games didn't have technical issues, it's that as lead products WB was paying for the bugs to be fixed.

Both games sound pretty cool, and I trust WB Montreal to actually do the Batman-verse some proper justice. Been too long of a wait since Origins.

aly

Man what do DC/WB have against Nightwing. It's like they won't let him be in anything a long time. Can't even let him be Batman where him and Damian's relationship was the best. Still sounds better than those SS rumours.

Arkham Asylum = Morrorwind
Arkham City = Skyrim
Arkham Origins = Fallout: New Vegas
Arkham Knight = Fallout 3

In terms of quality, at least for me.

Sandfox

Well Damian has already gotten multiple animated movies and was the Nightwing in Injustice in addition to the other things DC has done to push the character.

Man what do DC/WB have against Nightwing. It's like they won't let him be in anything a long time. Can't even let him be Batman where him and Damian's relationship was the best. Still sounds better than those SS rumours.

1ZoNLZK.jpg

Rymuth

If the Suicide Squad game has loot in it, what are the chances they'll take inspiration from Overwatch and put in Loot crates?

Some Nobody

Morning guys.

I am not able to post artworks and 3D modells out of resepect for my source, but I will give you the little information that I have.

- is a brawler
- coop-action
- Borderlands esque

targeted for 2017 release.

Next game is the Damian Wayne game.

- has been greenlit last summer
- 10 years in the future (I think our future from 10 years now, not quite Batman Beyond)
- Bruce is old and has a beard
- harness on his leg
- uses a walking stick
- is mentoring Damian Wayne to be the new Batman
- Damian has a Batbike
- lots of great characters and also new ones, lot's or redesigns, like Black Mask being a female
- Dick's in it, has a shaved head
- some other villains are Flamingo, Poison Ivy and White Rabbit(old, looks like a granny)

Game is starting to roll in production, so we might no see it for a while, but I am very excited.

Speculation:

Schreier had written on Twitter that a lot of developers want to go the route of announcing a game and releasing it shortly after, like Fallout 4. It's up in the air when we are going to see Suicide Squad, let alone that Damian game.

EDIT: These games are not labeled Arkham, so this is probably an alternative continuity!

So yeah, presuming all this stuff is true I'm guessing any and all chances of a potential Superman or Justice League game are well and truly buried, unless Rocksteady is working on it. Which, after Arkham Knight I'm not all that hyped about.

It's ridiculous--Marvel spends the better part of a decade building up C-List characters into A-Listers, and nobodies into nearly billion dollar franchises, but DC just gives up and throws Batman out. I'm not even asking for obscure stuff like the Legion of Super-Heroes, but FFS. Marvel Games started with Spider-Man and that's a softball, but I'm willing to bet the next AAA title they announce will at least be Avengers-related. :p

And obviously I could give less of a crap about Damian, too. I'm sick of Batman but if it was just "Gotham Knights" set around all the different characters in Batman's world you could easily sell me on it, but this is just...eh. Whatever, it'll sell millions regardless of what I think lol.

Thanks for the info though dude. If this Suicide Squad game is scheduled to come out next year though I'm shocked we haven't seen it sooner. Guess devs really are holding things close to their chest. Good, lol.

That's a fair point. Idk, there haven't been a lot of Harper stories outside of her appearances in the Batman solo and a bit in Eternal. Not a lot to judge, and she's just sort of... there. With Tim, and again, I really only paid attention from the Red Robin run post-Batman RIP to now, he's just this wunderkid that is amazing at everything, to the point that even Bruce goes "Oh yeah, he'll clearly be better than me". That's boring. Dick, Jason, and Damien all have had far more interesting trajectories.

But like I said, I may not have read the right Tim stories. Any recommendations?

I still find Red Robin to be the best of the Tim Drake stuff, but then again that's with the understanding of having seen all the stuff he'd gone through. RR is all rise, but that's because he'd fallen so low. There's a whole list of stuff from 2005-2007 that can basically be summed up as: "Tim Drake loses."

But yeah, the original 100 issues of Robin are good for showing him as a beginner, figuring it all out. Then the 55 issues of Young Justice showing him as a guy who thinks he knows what he's doing but he's really just the warden in the asylum lol.

Woof both the Suicide Squad and Batman games sound terrible to me.

Borderlands esque suicide squad-bleurgh!

Damian Wayne Batman with redesigns to everything from villains is also bleurgh (also didn't know he was Bruce's son either).
Definitely sounds more up my street than co-op suicide squad however.

Hopefully when the Bats game is revealed, my negative reaction is thrown out the window.

Alexious

I was really hoping for Justice League/Superman games, but I'll take these anyway.

I'm just too starved for games based on comic book characters.

Arkanius

Morning guys.

- is a brawler
- coop-action
- Borderlands esque

- 10 years in the future (I think our future from 10 years now, not quite Batman Beyond)
- harness on his leg
- uses a walking stick
- Damian has a Batbike
- lots of great characters and also new ones, lot's or redesigns, like Black Mask being a female
- some other villains are Flamingo, Poison Ivy and White Rabbit(old, looks like a granny)

Game is starting to roll in production, so we might no see it for a while, but I am very excited.

Speculation:

Schreier had written on Twitter that a lot of developers want to go the route of announcing a game and releasing it shortly after, like Fallout 4. It's up in the air when we are going to see Suicide Squad, let alone that Damian game.

White Rabbit?
Old White Rabbit?

That "villain" appeared for like 5 issues and disappeared without fanfare. It felt right out of a playboy magazine. Why bring it up again?

Tabby

Morning guys.

- is a brawler
- coop-action
- Borderlands esque

- harness on his leg
- uses a walking stick
- Damian has a Batbike

Speculation:

Didn't sell me before and you're still not selling me. Pass on Damien Batman 100%.

delSai

Hmm.. the Suicide Squad game sounds interesting, not what i was expecting. I'm not against looting and think it could be pretty cool, the Gear system in Injustice 2 seems cool too.

Damian having a Bike is nice i guess. Not much to say here.

I'm more looking forward to Suicide Squad because i want a DC coop game, but i'm going to play both anyway.

Oh and thanks for sharing your info, Kenzo. Suicide Squad aiming for a '17 release is the best news.

So Montreal is carrying on the Arkham legacy with another Batman game. I had no problems with Arkham Origins so might be fun. The Suicide Squad game could go anywhere really, though Borderlands reference has me worried. Kinda curious to see where that's going.

The interesting thing is Rocksteady are clearly building up to their next AAA game but they are keeping it very under wraps. We can all guess it's a DC property but it'd be interesting if they went beyond that...

Shaanyboi

Banned
This is honestly pretty shocking, I don't think the mainstream even knows Damian exists.
Mainstream doesn't know alot about comics beyond the most surface level stuff. But Damian has been Robin for the like 7 years at this point and in 4 of their animated movies so... *shrug*

So it's kind of confirmed?

I will always say I prefer more a Batman AND Robin game rather than a previous Robin being Batman, but I'm totally okay with this.

Scotia

Banned
Morning guys.

- is a brawler
- coop-action
- Borderlands esque

- harness on his leg
- uses a walking stick
- Damian has a Batbike

Speculation:

Both sound awful. Damian game has some promising aspects to it, but a lot of it sounds like shit.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Mainstream doesn't know alot about comics beyond the most surface level stuff. But Damian has been Robin for the like 7 years at this point and in 4 of their animated movies so... *shrug*

I am pretty sure the animated movies aren seen by the mainstream. Most people know their stuff from the movies and from BTAS.

Morning guys.

- is a brawler
- coop-action
- Borderlands esque

- harness on his leg
- uses a walking stick
- Damian has a Batbike

Speculation:

I'll play it as long as it's fun.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Didn't stop them from putting Hugo Strange or Black Mask (lol) as central antagonists in two of their games already.

Fair enough, but I would still say that their screentime was very small compared to the more well known Villains an espescially Joker.
Strange phoned in a couple of times and beside the opening scene I cant recall actually seeing him.

Shari

Damian wayne game from Origins team on AK framework.

PLEASE GIVE IT TO ME.

I dont know why people say it sounds bad with the little information we have. Also Origins team proved much like Obsidian with F:NV that they can do a game equal or better than the original team.

Top Bottom