• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Desktop Coffee Lake CPUs to be available Oct 5th

KdotIX

I'm still on a 2500k (OC'd). Not getting hyped about this until I see some proper benchmarks and reviews on it. Hell, I'm even thinking about holding out for Ice Lake

LordAlu

I'm still on a i5 3750k. What should I be waiting for?
I have a Core i5-3570k (OC to 4.2GHz), 16GB RAM and a R9 280X.

I'm waiting for benchmarks of course, as well as information about the Z390 chipset (since Z370 is just a Z270 motherboard with a different surround on the socket), but for me it'll be either a Ryzen 7 1700, Core i5-8600K or Core i7-8700K, depending on cost, as at the same time I'll look to upgrade to a GTX 1070.

It would appear so, yeah.

Very interested in how these perform. As someone who just took the plunge on an R7 1700, I'm nervous.

Nervous of what? You have a 8 core, 16 threads good CPU man. Gaming isn't everything, besides overclock that mutha to 3.9 - 4.0 GHz and you're good. Be happy with that platform, besides your AM4 Mobo is good for the next Zen2, 3 etc, unlike Intel, you won't be changing mobos when better cpus cine from AMD.

ezodagrom

besides your AM4 Mobo is good for the next Zen2, 3 etc
I wouldn't count on AM4 going beyond Zen 3 or 4, sooner or later DDR5 is gonna happen and a new platform will be needed.

EDIT:
About the 1230 MT score for the 8700K on Cinebench, if I'm understanding this right, computerbase is mentioning that this lower than expected score is due to a non-working turbo in a BIOS that isn't fully ready yet.
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-09/intel-core-i7-8700k-benchmarks-turbo/

Thanks for the responses guys! Going to respond to you all individually:

You are comparing a mobile cpu to a desktop CPU. The 7700k is roughly 20% faster than the 7700HQ and that is without overclocking the 7700K, which is faster than your 7300HQ. It'll be a big jump. The mobile replacement (the "8300HQ" or "8700HQ") hasn't been talked about yet, but rumor is laptops will see these processors Q1 2018.

That's what I wanted to know dude, just a rough timeframe when I should look for a new gaming laptop to potentially upgrade. So early 2018 then. Thanks for answering my question.

The 7300HQ is soldered on your laptop motherboard so you are stuck with it until you replace the whole laptop. The 7700HQ from knowledge is slightly faster than a desktop 7600k. The 7300HQ is slower by quite a margin but it still good for most games.

Ah okay, so my current processor is decent for now but is going to be out-shined by upcoming higher-end CPUs. To be clear, I'm aware it's impossible to upgrade my laptop; I was considering buying an entirely new machine in around 6 months. Your tech insight is great however.

You have a GTX 1050, which is not being bottlenecked by the 7300HQ. So no.

A high-end Coffee Lake will only make sense if the laptop you are buying also has an high-end GPU.

Ah, thanks man. This is the second time I've heard this on NeoGAF actually; that my machine is very decent but the GPU is on the low-end of what's potentially available and realistically that would need to be upgraded via a new machine to make the jump worth it. I'll keep a look-out for a higher-end Nvidia GPU when I look at new machines.

Thanks everyone. You've pretty much answered my pressing questions. So I take it Q1 2018 is when we'll realistically see mobile versions of these CPUs? So keep an eye out early 2018 then?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ah, thanks man. This is the second time I've heard this on NeoGAF actually; that my machine is very decent but the GPU is on the low-end of what's potentially available and realistically that would need to be upgraded via a new machine to make the jump worth it. I'll keep a look-out for a higher-end Nvidia GPU when I look at new machines.

Thanks everyone. You've pretty much answered my pressing questions. So I take it Q1 2018 is when we'll realistically see mobile versions of these CPUs? So keep an eye out early 2018 then?
You really should just ignore Coffee Lake for now, and set your sights on Volta. By the time Volta is available in laptops, Coffee Lake will have already taken over as the default CPU line in every laptop. So the CPU side will take care of it self, while you wait for the GPUs.

When it comes to gaming laptops, you always base your upgrade path around a new GPU. A laptop with a faster CPU, but the same level of GPU, is a net loss.

I know nothing about cpus, would the i7 be a safe long term replacement for my decrepit i53570k?

Edit: nevermind already asked above sorry

hoserx

I know nothing about cpus, would the i7 be a safe long term replacement for my decrepit i53570k?

Edit: nevermind already asked above sorry

3570k is anything but decrepit. It can be out-benched these days of course, but decrepit is not the adjective.

You really should just ignore Coffee Lake for now, and set your sights on Volta. By the time Volta is available in laptops, Coffee Lake will have already taken over as the default CPU line in every laptop. So the CPU side will take care of it self, while you wait for the GPUs.

When it comes to gaming laptops, you always base your upgrade path around a new GPU. A laptop with a faster CPU, but the same level of GPU, is a net loss.

Ah interesting! Super interesting actually. Yeah apologies but I'm pretty much a total tech noob as of late. I used to have my finger on the pulse years ago but I've lost track since then, so your tech knowledge and advice is fantastic. I'll definitely follow your word and keep an eye out for Volta in terms of upgrading to a better GPU. Sounds like a jump to even a Coffee Lake i7 just wouldn't be worth it without a mega-upgrade to the GPU too, if I'm reading you correctly.

When's Volta rumoured to be dropping out of interest? Next year?

Timu

Ah interesting! Super interesting actually. Yeah apologies but I'm pretty much a total tech noob as of late. I used to have my finger on the pulse years ago but I've lost track since then, so your tech knowledge and advice is fantastic. I'll definitely follow your word and keep an eye out for Volta in terms of upgrading to a better GPU. Sounds like a jump to even a Coffee Lake i7 just wouldn't be worth it without a mega-upgrade to the GPU too, if I'm reading you correctly.

Volta is definitely next year most likely.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

The bolded is correct.

The release date is up in the air, but the laptops usually arrive 2-3 months after the GPUs have their desktop launches.

Depends if you have the GPU that demands strong CPU, e.g. a GTX1080
I have a 980ti right now and waiting until next year to upgrade that. Just not sure if it's finally time to upgrade the rest of the kit because I've never followed anything other than gpus.
3570k is anything but decrepit. It can be out-benched these days of course, but decrepit is not the adjective.
I just remember the last time I asked last year most said not to bother and I know I've had multiple gpus in between so in comparison it's very outdated. Is there a good article to read on how all this tech works together and why cpus need go be upgraded so infrequently in comparison?

Especially given I have a Rift, 4K tv(Was interested for UHD film before games), and 144hz monitor. I realize despite my love of high frame rates and so on I have no idea how any of it works lol.

I like to Stream VR games and my 3570k isn't up to the task a lot of the time. Will one of these be a good solution or should I go for a Ryzen?

Mr Swine

Banned
I like to Stream VR games and my 3570k isn't up to the task a lot of the time. Will one of these be a good solution or should I go for a Ryzen?

If you are on a tight budget and want a good all round CPU then Ryzen is very good. If you want to have he best frame rate then the Intel CPU's are the best.

Myself I upgraded from a 3570k to a 1600x and couldn't be happier

Xyber

The irrational part of my brain wants me to upgrade to the 8700k from my 5820k mainly so I can take advantage of higher clocked memory.. It impossible to go above 2666MHz with my CPU and motherboard right now without it failing to post. The higher clocks are nice too, can only push mine to 4.3GHz now.

But I should really just hold out at least another generation.

StereoVsn

The irrational part of my brain wants me to upgrade to the 8700k from my 5820k mainly so I can take advantage of higher clocked memory.. It impossible to go above 2666MHz with my CPU and motherboard right now without it failing to post. The higher clocks are nice too, can only push mine to 4.3GHz now.

You would get a ton more mileage out of buying a better video card then replacing that CPU. You should be old for another couple years easily (maybe one depending if you really want those high frames).

What's the rest of your system like (including monitor)? You'd assuredly get a lot more out of an upgrade there... unless the rest of your system is insanely good for whatever reason. :p

Zojirushi

C'mon give me a reason to upgrade from 3570k + 8gb RAM

I'm in th same boat, I was on 2x8GB DDR3 and then one stick died and now it would just feel really dumb to spend money on old 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM...

I'd probably take this as an excuse to switch the whole MB+RAM+CPU combo.

dr_rus

Dude, your x99 uses quad-channel memory.

X99 memory controller has significantly worse timings though. It's part of the reason why top 1150 CPUs are noticeably faster than both 2011-3 and 2066 CPUs sometimes. And CPU memory bandwidth rarely has any effect on games performance.

But it remains to be seen how 6C CFL will fare with timings.

Xyber

What's the rest of your system like (including monitor)? You'd assuredly get a lot more out of an upgrade there... unless the rest of your system is insanely good for whatever reason. :p

1440p 165Hz monitor with a 1080Ti (which will most likely be replaced with the next Ti card). Like apart from that GPU upgrade later on, the CPU and RAM combo is what sometimes can hold me back in CPU intensive games where I want as many frames as possible.

Dude, your x99 uses quad-channel memory.

Like mentioned, quad channel or not I could get better memory performance from newer stuff. And while that might not give me a big boost in most stuff, there's still performance to be had in some games that do like higher memory clocks. Like I said, irrational and I should really just hold out longer. :p

Renekton

Shadoken

MSI isnt doing an mitx mobo? Does this mean most other manufacturers arent gonna be releasing one alongside launch too?

Renekton

In bandwidth. But as I've said it has considerably worse latencies, and in the end latencies are more important for gaming than CPU memory bandwidth. Hence why Skylake-X tend to lose to Skylake-S for example.
For Skylake-X, L3 seems to be the key culprit for games as 7900X outperforms 7700K slightly but the lower SKUs perform worse.

Some more motherboards, this time from MSI: https://videocardz.com/72511/msi-z370-motherboards-pictures-and-possible-pricing

Also perhaps of interest of those doing new builds for this, GTX 1070 Ti might be on the way: https://www.techpowerup.com/237016/nvidia-readying-a-geforce-gtx-1070-refresh-gtx-1070-ti
I suspect this is only for prebuilt PCs

LordAlu

MSI isnt doing an mitx mobo? Does this mean most other manufacturers arent gonna be releasing one alongside launch too?
They will be. That list looks like it only shows ATX, but they'll definitely do Micro ATX and ITX boards too. Since it's just a refresh, I'd wager all motherboard manufacturers will have the majority of their Z270 range available as Z370 versions.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Any new news confirming this rumor? I want this processor badly.

ezodagrom

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Clock speeds dropped from previous gen. Makes sense considering the additional cores.

I wonder how much better in gaming these will be than the much more affordable Ryzen 5 1600 and Ryzen 7 1700 processors.

C'mon give me a reason to upgrade from 3570k + 8gb RAM

Put in another 8 GB and you're good to go for at least another year or two.

We're starting to see more "triple-A" titles take advantage of more cores, so you will want to upgrade to a 6 or 8 core CPU eventually!

For 1440p, 144hz gaming which is the one to go for? Currently have a i5-4590k. The 8700k is pricier than I'd like but perhaps it's not worth going for anything less?

Any i7 processor from the last few generations paired with a 1080 or better will get you there pretty easily. Obviously won't be maxing out every game at 144 FPS, but you'll definitely be doing better than 60.

Firebrand

Sweclockers reporting that Z370 motherboards also won't be backwards-compatible with earlier processors. So on the off-chance you've just fried your motherboard and thought you could do an upgrade in steps with new mobo and existing CPU, well, you can't. :p

dr_rus

Sweclockers reporting that Z370 motherboards also won't be backwards-compatible with earlier processors. So on the off-chance you've just fried your motherboard and thought you could do an upgrade in steps with new mobo and existing CPU, well, you can't. :p

The testing performed so far allowed the Z370 board to boot up with a Pentium-G CPU and it crashed only during GPU initialization. This is a case of BIOSes not being final most likely. Technically, there are no reasons why 300 series can't support all 1151 CPUs.

Salamande

It's official. Release date October 5, though good luck with that.

Final specs and prices:
fL5iipD.png

scoobs

reasonable OC expectations on the 8700k? If I do upgrade, I'm not interested in slower clock speeds than what I've got @ 4.2 GHz

Nydus

reasonable OC expectations on the 8700k? If I do upgrade, I'm not interested in slower clock speeds than what I've got @ 4.2 GHz

Depends if the ihs is soldered or not. If it is not, the heat output while overclocking will be very hard to handle :/

Supposedly at stock the 8700k can do 4 cores at 4.4ghz. I presume you already have an i7 (4/8)? I'd expect at least a few hundred mhz of OC ability on top of that, though we won't know for sure for a couple weeks.

Decider

It's official. Release date October 5, though good luck with that.

Final specs and prices:

Ack, I'd just finished the outline of an i7 7700k build over the weekend, upgrading from a 2009 Core 2 Duo laptop. Looks like I'm better off waiting for a couple of weeks for some motherboard reviews to filter through before taking the plunge on the 8700k.

Top Bottom