• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GFK Market Research Survey about Nintendo NX leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying it is debunked is just as much speculation as saying it is from Nintendo - there is no evidence either way.

What we know, based on both information given directly in front of us and common sense that we can draw from our external knowledge, is that there is not a lot of reason to take the survey's contents about NX at face value. (I mean, the same exact survey talks about a 2TB, $299, digital-only PS4.)

There's no reason to believe it is 100% real beyond "but what if?" scenarios, which is what you're doing.

You don't think Nintendo does any market research? They would have to give info to get an accurate picture, especially if they were working with third-party companies.

Why is this thread going in circles?

You're jumping to conclusions when you say "the only company who might pay for information is Nintendo."

Nintendo has yet to reveal anything regarding their new product. There are loads of parties vested in Nintendo, including retailers, publishers who are considering the NX but have not yet committed to Nintendo, and institutional corporate investors, who might be interested in how the market responds to various price points and product features. It could very well be that someone other than Nintendo commissioned it.

I have a hard time believing that it was Nintendo because this data would have been useful to Nintendo two years ago, not right now as the Nintendo NX finalizes production with a lot of the key hardware components already set in stone. Presuming they're releasing in Holiday 2016, it's too late to change the fundamental hardware decisions that went into the Nintendo NX. Even if the NX is coming out in 2017, it's still stretching it.

A more likely story is that some other client wanted to test the U.S. market in response to specific price points and hardware features so when Nintendo does make a move they have an idea of how the market would respond or how the general public might react to such news.

Alternatively, there could be multiple clients interested in such data. I wouldn't put it past the GfK Group and their >10,000 employees to commission a detailed study and sell it to multiple organizations as they have done in the past for other video game-related studies.

good post

Also Nintendo has repeatedly said that NX will be a brand new concept/new experience so I'm not sure what good a market survey that doesn't mention any details about the new concept would do them. Except some very vague statements about handheld connectivity and I guess achievement, there is nothing even hinting at new features

iMax

Johnny, you seem to think the burden of proof is on the "debunkers". That's not how this works. You can't just pull a rumour out of your arse and say it's true if nobody can disprove it.

Johnny, you seem to think the burden of proof is on the "debunkers". That's not how this works. You can't just pull a rumour out of your arse and say it's true if nobody can disprove it.

I'm not saying it's true, I'm saying we can't know whether it's true or not with no evidence on either side! I didn't think this would be a controversial statement!

That it's debunked is a stance that requires proof, and there isn't any - it's only backed up by some opinion posts in here, and a hastily deleted tweet.

I'm not saying it's true, I'm saying we can't know whether it's true or not with no evidence on either side! I didn't think this would be a controversial statement!

That it's debunked is a stance that requires proof, and there isn't any - it's only backed up by some opinion posts in here, and a hastily deleted tweet.

Do you know what's also not debunked?

God is actually a flying pink unicorn named Marshmallow.

I'm not saying it's true, I'm saying we can't know whether it's true or not with no evidence on either side!

That it's debunked is a stance that requires proof, and there isn't any - it's only backed up by some opinions people have.

Thinking that this is both:
a) A survey by Nintendo
b) Containing confidential information about the upcoming NX release

...is an extremely unlikely probability, as is the fact that God is a flying pink unicorn named Marshmallow.

We have discussed the reasons behind its incredible unlikelihood ad nauseam. Just because it is impossible to "fully debunk" doesn't mean we should give it any further thought or credibility whatsoever.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Well, there's so much contradictory info on the poll that some of them must be true...

Oersted

There is evidence. Stop making shit up. And dude, you keep handwaving the fact that it doesn't make sense to begin with. That is a bad look for you. You just keep dragging down everything to opinions, while not actually engaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom