• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Grand Theft Auto V will use additional DRM on PC (Steam + Denuvo)

SparkTR

Look at it from Rockstar's point of view. They're a business. Their aim is to make money.

The amount of money they will potentially lose to piracy by not including DRM is SUBSTANTIALLY more than the amount of money they will potentially lose due to the small percentage of gamers who refuse to buy it because of DRM.

So them, it's probably well worth it.

If Ubisoft's financials are any indication, the amount of gamers passing on the game due to bad DRM is higher than you think, and the amount of pirates legitimately buying the game is much smaller.

Publishers, I have a solution to your problem. Why don't you just make the multiplayer good enough that people actually want to buy your game! I know its a radical idea but I'm sure it'll work and then no more DRM that annoys only loyal customers.

There will always be piracy, no matter what. It doesn't matter how good the game is.

That's not a realistic solution.

Spaghetti

You should forgive people for being optimistic that this DRM will go completely unnoticed while playing the game.

After all, there's no concrete evidence that proves it will. Just a lot of speculation.

Defending what? Some people are saying that they didn't have problems at all with the games where that DRM is included.

As I said, I didn't even know they had them until today. I know fake outrage is a thing nowadays but it's getting tiring. Wait till you hear the game is seriously fucked because of Denuvo before you start casting the game out.

Faux outrage about something you have zero info about is better?

come on. DRM on top of DRM? why are people still defending this shit in 2014? it's a backwards ass caveman attitude

Let's put it this way, barely anybody had any idea FIFA15 had any DRM at all (outside of origin) until this news came out. As far as DRM goes, this one seems pretty unobtrusive, no activation limit, no always online, allows mods. You wouldn't notice it unless someone told you it was there.

No activation limits is essential. Is there any source for this, because I haven't been able find any such information myself. If I'm to accept a DRM, I want to know the terms I'm accepting. "You probably won't notice it at all...." isn't good enough for me.

LeBart

If Ubisoft's financials are any indication, the amount of gamers passing on the game due to bad DRM is higher than you think, and the amount of pirates legitimately buying the game is much smaller.

Also, aren't all Ubi Soft games cracked within a week of release anyway?

SparkTR

No activation limits is essential. Is there any source for this, because I haven't been able find any such information myself. If I'm to accept a DRM, I want to know the terms I'm accepting. "You probably won't notice it at all...." isn't good enough for me.

Source? Ask anybody who owns FIFA15 or Lords of the Fallen, the community at large didn't know this DRM existed until earlier today. But yeah, no need to rush to accept anything just yet, just this DRM seems inherently better than those others based on the games that use it.

Also, aren't all Ubi Soft games cracked within a week of release anyway?

Assassins Creed 2 took 2 months to crack, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory took over 440 days. They started to relax to DRM later during last gen after UPlay came out.

hepburn3d

Piracy has to go. It has to.

In a large sea of consumers, if pirates and pirating are allowed to flourish, then it's the small devs who are most vulnerable, as they can't afford expensive DRM or the loss of 1000's of sales. For small devs every penny counts.
So if Rockstar and other companies want to thwart this menace and do a good job of it, these services will become successful and expand to the smaller dev market helping all game developers survive.

It's a waste of breath to argue on though as a pirate will defend his right to pillage. It's what he / she is, it's what he / she does.

I don't "like" DRM but I'll support it if it stops pirating. I don't think DRM is the solution but it's certainly a solution. I still think the best solution is knowing your markets cost tipping point and catering to it. If a pirate only has 1 dabloon to spend, only charge him 1 dabloon.

come on. DRM on top of DRM? why are people still defending this shit in 2014? it's a backwards ass caveman attitude

Publishers dont put games on steam for the weak drm protection it provides, they do it for market visibility. Games on steam sell well. Publishers want their software to sell well. Its a no brainer.

However, if you have a huge release like GTA that effortlessly sells millions at a time whenever its released, even a small percentage of pirated copies adds up very easily and thyll of course want to look into minimising that as best they can.

Like I noted before, if we use a conservative figure like only 1,000,000 people on PC get the game and only 1% (10,000) where a minority portion of pirates who just cant wait for a crack if the drm holds up, thats around £500,000 they wouldnt have been able to earn if they used the easily cracked steam drm.

If we assume that more than one million on pc end up wanting the game, which I think we can, then the reward for this risk continues to be more lucrative.

Make buying the software more enjoyable then PLAYING it. Which Steam has done a good job of so far.

Fixed :p

tmespe

Piracy has to go. It has to.

In a large sea of consumers, if pirates and pirating are allowed to flourish, then it's the small devs who are most vulnerable, as they can't afford expensive DRM or the loss of 1000's of sales. For small devs every penny counts.
So if Rockstar and other companies want to thwart this menace and do a good job of it, these services will become successful and expand to the smaller dev market helping all game developers survive.

It's a waste of breath to argue on though as a pirate will defend his right to pillage. It's what he / she is, it's what he / she does.

I don't "like" DRM but I'll support it if it stops pirating. I don't think DRM is the solution but it's certainly a solution. I still think the best solution is knowing your markets cost tipping point and catering to it. If a pirate only has 1 dabloon to spend, only charge him 1 dabloon.
It's not like DRM is a new concept. It has been used in software for decades. It has never stopped piracy before and it is naive to think it will do so now. All it ever does is cause problem for legitimate consumers. This has been proven again and again. As you say, resonable pricing is the way to go in my opinion. Markets with rampant piracy are usually markets where consumers have lower income. Price items at a level that is actually attainable for these consumers and they most likely will buy games instead of resorting to piracy. Heck, charge me two dollars more for my games and use this to subsidise the pricing in poorer countries.

DryvBy

2014, companies still believe DRM works. I can make World of WarCraft (an online game) a local game if I want, but companies still want to believe DRM works.

Steam is the only DRM I don't find as bad because it's community based. Hopefully Denuvo is eventually is patched out.

cripterion

I take it you buy no games on Steam or on consoles then?

I don't care if they introduce DRM as long as it doesn't fuck with my experience while playing the game or having it installed on my pc.

Almighty

That's not going to stop people from pirating. People will pirate because they can, it has nothing to do with how enjoyable a product is.

The fact of the matter is that as long as you have software running on people's PCs you will never stop piracy. To think otherwise is just fooling yourself. So until we get to the day when you are just streaming your games off a server piracy is going to be around and DRM is at best delaying the inevitable and at worst inconveniencing those who paid for it already.

I also disagree with the idea that the only way to stop pirate is with a stick. For example Steams auto updating doesn't sounds like a big feature, but it is one of the reasons I don't even consider piracy anymore. After all who wants to go back to the days when you would want to install an update to a game you pirated, but if you did you would need to find a new crack which would lead you to some pretty shady websites. That is not even mentioning that if the game you pirated was pretty niche you may not even be able to find a crack for it and would be stuck with buggy software. And that is only one way in which Steam has made actually buying the game better then pirating it.

Some form of drm is a necessity in today's market, be it hardware-based like game consoles or software-based like Steam. As long as said system isn't intrusive, doesn't cause problems for legitimate buyers and doesn't impose arbitrary restrictions like always online or limited activations, I have zero problems with it. If it is actually effective and causes more people to buy games, even better. So for the time being there is no reason for concern, given that we haven't had any negative reports from the games already using it. I sympathize with the DRM-free cause but it is not realistic to expect it to become reality anytime soon.

That rape mod must have really scared Rockstar....Mods and ENB were a huge reason I wanted to get this on PC, hope this doesn't totally fuck things up :/

Gaogaogao

the drm will turn off as many potential buyers as it consequently attracts.

I cant wait for gog galaxy to prove everyone wrong. that shit needs to blow up.

Saty

It's to early to react either way. We don't know what his DRM entails. I would say that having FIFA15 and LOTF out for as long as they are and not seeing any news or reports in the vein of 'WTF FIFA15 has extra DRM that is messing with my game\system' is encouraging.

UnrealEck

Great. Because DRM always works, right? You're only going to prolong the innevitable and in the process likely piss off paying customers.

Almighty

Some form of drm is a necessity in today's market, be it hardware-based like game consoles or software-based like Steam. As long as said system isn't intrusive, doesn't cause problems for legitimate buyers and doesn't impose arbitrary restrictions like always online or limited activations, I have zero problems with it. If it is actually effective and causes more people to buy games, even better. So for the time being there is no reason for concern, given that we haven't had any negative reports from the games already using it. I sympathize with the DRM-free cause but it is not realistic to expect it to become reality anytime soon.

While I agree that it is too early for people to call this the worst DRM yet, you will have to excuse me if I don't find much comfort in people saying that this new DRM has been in two whole games and around for a a little over a month and there are no problems so it's fine. As I remember people saying similar things about other DRMs that blue screened my PC or prevented legitimate software from running.

Look at it from Rockstar's point of view. They're a business. Their aim is to make money.

The amount of money they will potentially lose to piracy by not including DRM is SUBSTANTIALLY more than the amount of money they will potentially lose due to the small percentage of gamers who refuse to buy it because of DRM.

So them, it's probably well worth it.

Uh.. no. DRM doesn't stop piracy.

Focusing on attracting costumers is gonna give you more sales than focusing on stopping pirates.

Source? Ask anybody who owns FIFA15 or Lords of the Fallen, the community at large didn't know this DRM existed until earlier today. But yeah, no need to rush to accept anything just yet, just this DRM seems inherently better than those others based on the games that use it.

Yeah, source for the information that there are no activation limits. I haven't found anything about it, and that the FIFA15 and LOTF players haven't noticed any yet is no real indication that there aren't any.

If they are to use DRM like this, they must inform us about such details.

iNvid02

A game that remains un cracked? I doubt it. Which games are you talking about?

FIFA 15 and Lords of the fallen, both remain uncracked (not 100% on the last one) and use this DRM. For FIFA its been over a month which is impressive.

I think the approach will be "just dont publicize we use it" because having played FIFA regularly, it really is an invisible system. No idea if it causes performance issues though.

I think it will eventually be broken, but obviously the pubs think the time it buys them in the important launch period is worth the investment.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Steam is the more intrusive DRM, just saying.

I disagree, every other DRM except Steam has the most intrusive DRM.

Used to think Steam DRM is actually the worse DRM, but found that Steam is more of a boon than a bane (as I started using Steam Client; it has so many perks on the foreground).

Obviously the best DRM is no DRM, but Steam comes next after No DRM in my list..

my list (of best DRM)
1. No DRM
2. Steam
3. every other shite..

Nzyme32

It's to early to react either way. We don't know what his DRM entails. I would say that having FIFA15 and LOTF out for as long as they are and not seeing any news or reports in the vein of 'WTF FIFA15 has extra DRM that is messing with my game\system' is encouraging.

On the other hand, at least for LOTF, the DRM has been obfuscated. JShackles points to a very brief sentence that suggests there is something there, but no mention of it is made anywhere else, like most games available.

It really is going to dependant on how it functions, if it causes any issues with the game, if it imparts any restrictions on the game (installs, offline play etc), performance issues etc. Indeed there simply isn't enough information at the moment to really make a conclusion on it, other than to be suspicious due the the legacy of sercuROM

UnrealEck

If EA's logo is on there I can guess that Dragon Age will be using it too.
People are saying this DRM is causing problems with performance and stability in Lord of the Fallen. Not sure how they can determine that though without some sort of error message relating to the DRM or some sort of debugging.

Kiyo

So then why don't they patch it out after it's been cracked?

Because the effort to patch it out costs more than the sales it would generate? Also, them patching it out would publicly acknowledge there's a crack out for the game which could cost them more sales.

UnrealEck

Could the GTAV release delay have been due to this DRM? Was this DRM used before they announced the Jan release date of the GTAV?

DryvBy

It doesn't stop it, but if it delays it long enough to give them more sales, then it's done its job.

The thing is, it doesn't. There's pirate groups that put out games under "Day 0" meaning that they're patched without DRM and ready to go before the game is even released.

Kiyo

The thing is, it doesn't. There's pirate groups that put out games under "Day 0" meaning that they're patched without DRM and ready to go before the game is even released.

Really? Point me to somewhere I can download FIFA 15 or Lords of the Fallen cracked. You can't because it doesn't exist. In this case, the DRM has worked.

hemo memo

Gold Member
"You can't stop pirates" is a myth.

If this DRM is not causing any issues and went unnoticed with Fifa 15 and LoTF then where's the problem?

Pirating is like stealing from a store. People do it because it`s free, but if you take the option away from them, they wouldn`t have paid money for it anyway.

Not to defend piracy, but it is not at all like stealing from a store. Or it is, if the store sells infinitely replicable code.

dreamfall

Real talk, this is going to be the worst for multiplayer.

I can't imagine if the servers go down, or the DRM servers start getting fickle, all hell will break loose.

With GTA IV, after GFWL went defunct- it was impossible to update it even after being prompted, the online fell apart, and hell- I didn't even sign into Social Club just to get it to start.

In the words of Trevor, "THINGS COULD GET REALLY MESSY."

Because the effort to patch it out costs more than the sales it would generate? Also, them patching it out would publicly acknowledge there's a crack out for the game which could cost them more sales.

How do you know that? Are there any stats that show DRM sells more copies? Because I think those stats would show the opposite

Gangxxter

Well that sucks. R* and their stupid way to use three different DRM systems at once is so bullshit. In GTA IV it was GfWL, SecuRom and R*SC. Now it's Steam, Denuvo and R*SC.
I thought this stupid stuff was a thing from the past since Max Payne 3 only used R*SC and Steam/SecuRom (whether you bought it on Steam or retail).

So, GTA V requires Steam even if you go retail? Well that sucks. I love Steam, but I want my retail games to run without Steam if possible. Especially if they already use other DRM systems.

Denuvo changes its code everytime you launch the game? Does this mean the game is "always-on", even in singleplayer?

Damn I hope we can still mod the game in singleplayer...

Will still buy the game day one.

Top Bottom