• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] MS to reveal VR headset at E3 2015, Fortaleza still in the development

Status
Not open for further replies.
This assumes it's going to be PC compatible.

Either way, the thing with VR is that quality truly matters. Its not like with smartphones where you might be fine with a 2 year old midrange phone for your needs. It'll still do basically everything you want, just maybe a lower resolution and a *little* bit less snappy, but eh, no big deal right? Well in VR, resolution and accuracy and latency and pretty much everything all combine to make your VR experience what it is. The difference between a mediocre quality headset and a high quality headset can be the difference between a bad VR experience and a great one.

I seriously doubt Microsoft are as far along as Oculus or even Sony are anyways.
I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible with PC or at least have a a PC version. It doesn't make sense not to.

Seanspeed

Banned
True but they also refer to Morpheus and Oculus as "head-worn product" added to the development part seems more like a VR headset than anything ;)
Probably. Just isn't clarified, though. We've seen other 'headset' announcements in the past that turned out to be standard HMD's, not actual VR headsets.

You don't spend $2.5 Billion to put a game on a very reduced market.
Keep Minecraft available on all platforms as is, but make VR Minecraft exclusive to Xbox or maybe Xbox/Windows. That's not a bad plan.

Sandfox

All they have to do is release it on Xbox and PC through their new Xbox service via PC. I don't see why they would release it on WiiU or PS4. That would make no sense.

They will do whatever they feel makes them more money and I have no idea what that would be.

Well, we all know what rumors mean these days.

it_s_happening-360x240.gif

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
And how many kids can afford a console + VR glasses price?
Say some kid they have to spend 300$ to play the next LOL, the game would die.

You wouldn't need VR to play it, but X1 would be the only place to play Minecraft in VR. Not that hard to understand.

olore

So next-gen goes fully closed visuals with on-face devices. I wonder if we will see the same arguments against this as when the Walkman were introduced on the market. "Everyone will go around in their on own world, shielded from friends and family".

Slightly exagerrated of course

Hoo-doo

Banned
Fortaleza will never be able to handle immersive gameplay, so it'll probably be another Kinect-like venture.

As far as their actual VR headset, could be interesting.

And how many kids can afford a console + VR glasses price?
Say some kid they have to spend 300$ to play the next LOL, the game would die.

Depends on the costs overall, what they currently have etc. Combined with begging your parents for this or that for gifts, and it could happen.

But its also a long game thing. Get the to pick up the X1 first, then a few years later, they pick up the XVR. Just in time for the Xbox Two and the improved VR a while later for any hold outs.

Minecraft VR exclusive to MS platforms? I'd bet on it, honestly.

IMO these companies should wait until their next devices before going into VR.

yeah and then nextgen they should wait until nextgen again, because PC will still be waaay ahead of them spec wise, so why even bother?

Personally I can see consoles getting a huge chunk of the VR pie, because there will be no fiddling around with mods, patches, drivers, hundreds of graphic options, upgradeathons and so on...convenience and ease of use will be key for the masses!
THE ultimate VR experience will be on the PC, no arguing there, but it will come at a high price.

Of course if Sony/MS can't manage to make the goggles and software good enough to not get sick after 15 minutes it won't matter, but that won't happen.

They will do whatever they feel makes them more money and I have no idea what that would be.
Consider Halo. It has a huge appeal among many gamers but Microsoft wouldn't release it on other consoles even though it would no doubt sell even more than it does. I don't see why Minecraft would be different. It has to release on PC because of its user base but I believe it will be exclusive to Xbox on the console side.

Orbis

Exclusive VR Minecraft will probably be quite huge.
Having played Minecraft with the original Oculus on PC (using a mod), I can only agree with this. Strangely enough it was probably the most immersive thing I tried with the Oculus.

All they have to do is release it on Xbox and PC through their new Xbox service via PC. I don't see why they would release it on WiiU or PS4. That would make no sense.

It would make financial sense. I really don't see Minecraft as Xbox product. And considering a potato can run the game if it is available on PC it may as well be every where. Are they gonna make it exclusive to Windows Phone and Surface tablets as well?

It would make financial sense. I really don't see Minecraft as Xbox product. And considering a potato can run the game if it is available on PC it may as well be every where. Are they gonna make it exclusive to Windows Phone and Surface tablets as well?
I think it may be exclusive to windows phones for a while but when they realize that people will not buy into another Mobile ecosystem for one game they will release it everywhere. On the console side I seriously doubt they would release on other platforms than Xbox.

Sandfox

yeah and then nextgen they should wait until nextgen again, because PC will still be waaay ahead of them spec wise, so why even bother?

Personally I can see consoles getting a huge chunk of the VR pie, because there will be no fiddling around with mods, patches, drivers, hundreds of graphic options, upgradeathons and so on...convenience and ease of use will be key for the masses!
THE ultimate VR experience will be on the PC, no arguing there, but it will come at a high price.

Of course if Sony/MS can't manage to make the goggles and software good enough to not get sick after 15 minutes it won't matter, but that won't happen.

I just don't agree with pulling a more expensive Move/Kinect in the middle of a generation.There's also the fact that I feel the Oculus will dominate the market in a big way.

Consider Halo. It has a huge appeal among many gamers but Microsoft wouldn't release it on other consoles even though it would no doubt sell even more than it does. I don't see why Minecraft would be different. It has to release on PC because of its user base but I believe it will be exclusive to Xbox on the console side.

If they think people will buy an Xbox One for Minecraft and basically not other kids games besides the figure games they will probably try it.

I want either this or Morpheus out in 2015. Give me some goggles to put on my head. I've been almost buying an Oculus for too long now.

Bricky

What a waste of resources if true.
I agree but, hey... people on this forum seem to like it?

Just because you don't like VR doesn't mean this is a waste of resources. It might just be a fad (for the time being), but there is just as big chance this will be the next evolution in gaming. Of all the things Microsoft wastes money on this is one R&D project they shouldn't be late to the party with.

VR this gen will be like Kinect for 360. A good start, but it will not delivered the full promise (until PS5/Xbox Two).

Yup. On consoles this will probably be a somewhat gimmicky this generation due to lack of power, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing; the Oculus Rift has basically been nothing but a fun toy for tech demoes for a few years now.

tuna_love

Banned
I think it may be exclusive to windows phones for a while but when they realize that people will not buy into another Mobile ecosystem for one game they will release it everywhere. On the console side I seriously doubt they would release on other platforms than Xbox.
They would probably just have the vr version exclusive to xbox if this rumor us true.

Ape

Banned
Just because you don't like VR doesn't mean this is a waste of resources. It might just be a fad (for the time being), but there is just as big chance this will be the next evolution in gaming. Of all the things Microsoft wastes money on this is one R&D project they shouldn't be late to the party with.

I'm not so sure. Eventually we will see if it truly has a place in the living room. My feeling is it doesn't.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
IMO these companies should wait until their next devices before going into VR.

I would be shocked if PC wasn't the way to go.

technically - you're probably right. Although issues with people getting DK2s working smoothly with windows are a little worrying, I'm sure they'll fix those for the consumer launch.

I do think Sony might come up with some interesting software to make morpheus attractive too. And there are some benefits from a fixed target platform, even if that platform is lower performing than PC.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible with PC or at least have a a PC version. It doesn't make sense not to.
Maybe. It depends on what they want to do with their VR headset. They've got their work cut out if they want to compete with Oculus on the PC, though.

Is the source of this even reliable?
They don't seem to have a good track record.

http://the-digital-reader.com/2012/05/24/how-accurate-is-digitimes/
They get enough right to not dismiss it.

But the nature of rumors means that yes, don't take this as confirmation of anything.

Bricky

I'm not so sure. Eventually we will see if it truly has a place in the living room. My feeling is it doesn't.

Even Kinect sold more than 24 million on the 360 before consumers realised they didn't really want it. People are hyped as fuck for VR. Do the math.

Even if it turns out to be a fad, which is what you expect, it is a good idea to invest in the technology.

JordanN

Banned
I don't have a problem with Microsoft going VR or care how powerful XBO is. However, what I do have a problem with is who is going to support it?

At least Sony has Namco backing Morpheus, as well as having their own stable of first party to help them.

Microsoft has been traditionally lacking on the first party front. They better start looking for developers who can deliver on exclusive VR titles.

Sandfox

I don't have a problem with Microsoft going VR or care how powerful XBO is. However, what I what I do have a problem with is who is going to support it?

At least Sony has Namco backing Morpheus, as well as having their own stable first party to help them.

Microsoft has been traditionally lacking on the first party front. They better start looking for developers who can deliver on VR titles.

All of their Kinect studios will probably switch over to VR and then MS will just moneyhat the rest or something.

Seanspeed

Banned
Is it because Oculus is very advanced? (I genuinely don't know much about VR right now)
Its not even just the stage of advancement(which yes, they are advanced on in terms of headset hardware), its the superteam they've put together for this and the sheer level of commitment towards creating *good* VR.

Oculus also have a good portion of the mindshare for VR at the moment. They've been out there promoting Oculus for a couple years now, are extremely active in talking to customers, potential customers, content creators and potential content creators, and just generally have already basically become the go-to thing in people's mind when they think of VR. Even if Microsoft puts out a good product, that sort of mindshare is hard to fight.

tuna_love

Banned
Its not even just the stage of advancement(which yes, they are advanced on in terms of headset hardware), its the superteam they've put together for this and the sheer level of commitment towards creating *good* VR.

Oculus also have a good portion of the mindshare for VR at the moment. They've been out there promoting Oculus for a couple years now, are extremely active in talking to customers, potential customers, content creators and potential content creators, and just generally have already basically become the go-to thing in people's mind when they think of VR. Even if Microsoft puts out a good product, that sort of mindshare is hard to fight.
Don't forget ms invented direct x ;)

Sandfox

I know MS doesn't want another Zune(you could probably throw the Surface and Windows Phone in there too) so its going to be interesting to see if their money can help them in that regard assuming they don't release too late.

Guerrilla

we need some seriously beefy hardware next gen if VR is going to be the included peripheral by then.

2015 seems a bit early for VR tough. I love my Oculus Rift DK2 but it's not there yet. 1080p is actually too low of a resolution and 75fps is the bare minimum needed. Anything at that level or lower will be dismissed as another kinect. It's a nice tech demo right now, but nothing more.

I can see it as a public beta test. but that's it for this generation. Same with morpheus.

Still I'm a sucker for new tech and probably will buy morpheus and MS's solution

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't have a problem with Microsoft going VR or care how powerful XBO is. However, what I do have a problem with is who is going to support it?

At least Sony has Namco backing Morpheus, as well as having their own stable of first party to help them.

Microsoft has been traditionally lacking on the first party front. They better start looking for developers who can deliver on exclusive VR titles.
Well as has been said already, they have Minecraft now. That's a whopper killer app right there on its own. And Forza Motorsport is a pretty obvious no-brainer, where VR support could be included without necessarily needing a ground up rethink of the game.

Other than that, simply having a VR headset for your platform to play 3rd party stuff could be quite important. If people on PS4 start raving about how amazing Project Cars is in VR, it will reflect badly on Microsoft if they don't try and give their customers that same amazing experience.

And then of course these consoles are half media machines these days and media is a big focus of VR, so there again is a really important reason to have it where you don't necessarily need game developers.

geordiemp

So is MS working on VR or AR ?

or both ?

This article says VR< but MS were going on about AR up until now.

Confusing.

Personally it would be good for MS to do AR, then people would be temped to have all consoles for both experiences....

DieH@rd

Banned
The rush to VR... I wonder if this isn't going to end up in a total disaster in terms of ROI on the R&D. I just don't think these consoles nor the screen tech is where it needs to be to actually work on a mass market.

Everything we saw about VR so far is proof that nobody is rushing to it. Every future "VR platform holder" is taking slow and careful steps toward it, ensuring that users get great experience with VR tech and software. They are doing that because they know that badly produced VR will make everyone sick.

The main problem with VR is that it causes motion sickness for many people, because our internal motion sensors report to our brain that we are sitting/standing still, while the eyes report we are moving. Not sure if this can be overcome.

It can. By making VR-specific games, not porting old ones [except retooling slower FPS/TPS adventure/platforming games, cockpit based games and other VR-friendly games].

"The sources also believe head-worn products will become a new focus of the gaming hardware developers for the next-generation gaming devices."

please no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom