• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] MS to reveal VR headset at E3 2015, Fortaleza still in the development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles X

Go hard or go home Microsoft, fed up of your half baked attempts at tech. So unless you've got PT under your belt ... yeah

Edit - oh it's a necrobump ... FU!

Starfield

I am sure the Xbox One All-In-One Entertainment System will offer great features and games for their Vision of augumented reality. In my humble opinion I think AR is still better than VR.

Ushay

I really can't see the appeal of VR, feels like will bomb. Wii fooled the industry once already, I doubt it will happen again.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I really can't see the appeal of VR, feels like will bomb. Wii fooled the industry once already, I doubt it will happen again.

Have you tried VR?

Hell, even this plant from the demo scene included in the Oculus config utility is mind blowing when you first see it first hand:

H25vLK6.jpg

One thing Microsoft could to do "zag" while Sony and Oculus and Vive "zig" would be to focus on the overall experience of interacting with VR, including the integrated menu experience as well.

Even though it's hokey as hell, X1 will be in the best position to deliver a "swipe with your hands in VR" experience and I think some people will be really wow'd by that. In terms of hardware, I'd expect the X1's VR to be the "worst" of the bunch, but that's okay. We're currently in the stage of market adoption. It would be foolish to buy the best because the best will be outclassed in 2-3 years anyway.

Well that's to be expected, pretty much all big entertainment companies are into VR in some way. Let's see what they can achieve! :)

spectator

Even though it's hokey as hell, X1 will be in the best position to deliver a "swipe with your hands in VR" experience and I think some people will be really wow'd by that. In terms of hardware, I'd expect the X1's VR to be the "worst" of the bunch, but that's okay. We're currently in the stage of market adoption. It would be foolish to buy the best because the best will be outclassed in 2-3 years anyway.

Unless you know something none of the rest of us do, Microsoft won't be in a position to deliver an anything in VR experience. If they're working on VR at all, they're being super-secretive about it.

DavidDesu

Doesn't surprise me if true. MS cannot let others just walk into this and steal all the thunder. I think they still might quite frankly. Sony especially, I still have a strong feeling that PS4 and PSVR will be a powerful duo and many people's first experience of decent affordable VR. They've done a lot with the PS4's design (stereo 120fps camera and light bar on the DS4 for fast accurate 3D positional tracking and for the tracking the headset itself) that they seem to have the simplest hassle free way of making this all work, and they planned it from the outset.

MS feels like they're most definitely jumping on the bandwagon and I guess, what, will they use Kinect for tracking? Will that work, is it up to the task? Will they need another camera just for the VR? Seems compromised already from what little we know. The Microsoft controller isn't trackable in 3D space and they don't have their own equivalent of the Move yet either. LOTS of (expensive) hurdles to overcome if they're seriously going to bring out their own VR headset for the XB1 and/or PC.

Sony of course also has quite a lot of software in development and quite far along in development too, lots of indie VR titles, and many 1st party titles that will be ready for, or near, the PSVR launch.

Microsoft have a battle on their hands, and then some, if this is true.

DavidDesu

One thing Microsoft could to do "zag" while Sony and Oculus and Vive "zig" would be to focus on the overall experience of interacting with VR, including the integrated menu experience as well.

Kinect in principle will be great for VR, but from what I know of it technically it is simply WAY too slow to be useful for VR, where response time for a good experience is something like 60-120fps... From what I know Kinect simply does not give feedback that fast, and lag in VR, especially when comparing it 1:1 with your own hand movements, is a big no no.

I was literally about to come in here and shout "Megaton" and then I quickly realised it says E3 2015 and not 2016. These necro-bump threads are so confusing.

Fnord

I am sure the Xbox One All-In-One Entertainment System will offer great features and games for their Vision of augumented reality. In my humble opinion I think AR is still better than VR.

It depends on your goals. If you want to overlay information over your existing environment, AR is definitely the way to go. But frankly, if I'm playing Killzone, or Halo, or Pacman, I don't particularly want my couch to be a part of the playfield.

AP90

It will be interesting to see its performance and price.

They may very well undercut Sony's pricing.

Maybe there will be a second gpu running in sli to bump up the performance....this would be inside the VR connecting/processing box that connects to the Xbox One!!

Highly unlikely. Just wanted to bait some gaffers =P

Josman

Haha these necro bumps... Got me excited for a minute as it would mean more big studios supporting VR.

Although, MS would be very limited if they wanted to release a VR headset for Xbone, if the PS4 can barely handle those titles at 1080p VR, 900p on Xbone would look terrible, not to mention what tracking would they use? Neither the gamepad or Kinect are designed for VR

Xbudz

I guess we'll be seeing more powerful PS4's and Xbox Ones in the future.
At first they'll have "processing boxes" for VR, but eventually I imagine they'll just build that tech in, along with 4k movie playback support.

How do juniors even find these posts? I'm imagining someone with a browser with 1000 tabs open, just biding their time for their account to be approved to reply to a thread from 8 months to two years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom