• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyS

The blue ghosts have to come back.

7b7oOHr.jpg

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yeah, I'm definitely calling discs now. They seem to have thirds in mind now, but I don't see them not charging more to licensees if their game requires a 64 GB game card.

Oh, and Luigi's Mansion is definitely a system seller, even if the initial reception is 2001 was far colder than it should have been to that amazing game.

Josh5890

NLG is big enough for 2 games.

Retro still isn't.

I know NLG is independent, but sheesh.

Really? I thought Retro was? Or at least that is what I thought I read somewhere. At the very least they haven't released anything since Tropical Freeze, which was pretty much done in late 2013 no? They have to have at least one project almost done. Maybe another one that will release a year later?

11redder

Unifying development or ditching the handheld is one way of doing it. If the remote play is good enough it could make it a handheld replacement, though I'm not sure they'll ditch the handheld entirely.
Making the systems "like brothers" as Iwata said implies they're two of them
Maybe he meant they're conjoined twins.

Banned
Is Luigi's Mansion 3 really going to move NX units? I can't think of something I'd be less interested in.
It's not meant to since I highly doubt it's a launch game. Mario and Zelda will take care of that at launch, and potentially smash.

antonz

Is Luigi's Mansion 3 really going to move NX units? I can't think of something I'd be less interested in.

Last one has sold around 5 million units.Could it sell systems? yes. Could it simply be a piece in a greater puzzle? yes. Not everything has to be a system mover. it is ok to have library expanding titles who exist to be extra justification

bomblord1

Banned
I hope the screen controller is optional because if the off tv play gimmick doesn't catch on, the performance of the hardware won't take a hit because it had to accommodate it, like the 3DS or Wii U.

Well if both rumors are true then the system would have had absolutely insane performance for 2x the PS4 to be the performance after the gamepad hit.

Oddduck

Pikmin 4 is most likely coming to NX, but that's not going to be a huge system seller either.

Not every game needs to be a big system seller.

And Luigi's Mansion games have typically sold pretty well.

Why are we confident about launch mario?
If it launches in November 2016 it'll give them 3 years since 3D World which is the average dev time they've needed.
This is just speculation based on average release cycles.
Being a new console it could be a bit longer.
I think Nintendo has said that they see the importance of having a Mario at launch as well.

AniHawk

It's not meant to since I highly doubt it's a launch game. Mario and Zelda will take care of that at launch, and potentially smash.

yeah, i'd have to imagine that like dinosaur planet and eternal darkness, and later super paper mario, twilight princess, fire emblem radiant dawn, and that donkey kong racing game disaster, several games are being moved from wii u to nx simply because they'll theoretically do better on a new platform.

pikmin, zelda, and luigi's mansion would fall under this umbrella. i personally think paper mario could have too, but mario rpgs aren't huge sellers, so it was probably better if they sent it to die.

I don't think it's going to be out at launch. No way Nintendo releases a new Mario and a new Zelda at the same time.

I think they will market Zelda as a NX game and be the main launch title. Like TP with Wii.
They already did 2-3 years ago. Though it might be smart to delay it or maybe Zelda will get the delay

ozfunghi

I'm sceptical because it all adds up, raising the price. And a better CPU, and a better GPU, and a new touchscreen gamepad (which was rather costly to make for WiiU)... If the gamepad is optional, maybe? On the other hand, having the streaming tech over wifi (does this mean on the same network, or over the internet on the other side of the world), while not replacing the handheld, it will certainly eat into the handheld sales i think.

It just seems un-Nintendo to release a $400 (or more?) system, which is why i'm still expecting not all the info being accurate.

A port of Luigi's Mansion 1?

Seriously though, i never played any LM game, so i have no idea.

Protann

Last one has sold around 5 million units.Could it sell systems? yes. Could it simply be a piece in a greater puzzle? yes. Not everything has to be a system mover. it is ok to have library expanding titles who exist to be extra justification

True enough. I was just sort of imagining Nintendo positioning Luigi's Mansion 3 as the 'big' launch title for NX, but I don't really have a problem with it if there's bigger stuff at launch.

Banned
yeah, i'd have to imagine that like dinosaur planet and eternal darkness, and later super paper mario, twilight princess, fire emblem radiant dawn, and that donkey kong racing game disaster, several games are being moved from wii u to nx simply because they'll theoretically do better on a new platform.

pikmin, zelda, and luigi's mansion would fall under this umbrella. i personally think paper mario could have too, but mario rpgs aren't huge sellers, so it was probably better if they sent it to die.
Sticker Star 2 deserves to die with the Wii U.

Some people are looking at the list of games and assuming they're all coming in a three month span. That's not going to happen.

Also, Mario and Zelda can launch together because they aim for different audiences.

Luigi's Mansion 3 makes sense. 2 did pretty damn well, didn't it?
It sold 4.75M which is more than Skyward Sword and Wind Waker GCN if I recall :0

If anything it's a better system seller than Zelda. :p

Nanashrew

Banned
If not at launch there's Zelda in November with NX day of release and 3D Mario in November in 2017 for the big holiday season.

Or maybe both at launch, I dunno. But those two at launch would be really huge powerhouses.

I'm definitely ready for another Luigi's Mansion. They're simple to play, look good, have a decent art design and I've always appreciated the kinda crossover title feel to the series. I'd like to see more Nintendo icons branch out into other genres.

Pancake Mix

Wait...does Sony think that there's a huge audience of people who would rather buy a system that plays the exact same games slightly better (PS4.1) instead of a brand new system that could be roughly as powerful and has Nintendo games as well? Forget a shrinking audience for Nintendo platforms, what significant audience is Sony trying to target and why do they think that will work?

I own a PS4 and Wii U, and NX sounds far more intriguing than Sony's version of the New 3DS, I don't care if it's slightly more powerful either, that's not a generational upgrade, while Wii U to NX could be.

So something like the Saturn 4MB cart or N64 Expansion Pak, but for an APU instead of RAM? I guess that would depend on how the board design is set up.

If they did so and don't want to risk fragmenting the userbase too much, it'd need to be packed in with some kind of killer-app. Or even do what MS's done w/ W10 and make it a free upgrade for everyone who already bought the console earlier, and value-add it to a standard new SKU in lieu of price-cutting, but essentially taking the place of one and being the new default SKU.

Could work.

It'd would be like PS4K except without having to pay for an entire new system. They could be going back to their old ways of including a high speed port for system expansions. Just like the port the SNES would have used for the PSX, the port the N64 used for the 64DD, and the GameCube used for the Gameboy adapter.

AniHawk

Why are we confident about launch mario?

epd/ead tokyo's past history:

2002: super mario sunshine (group was not ead tokyo at the time but later became ead tokyo)
2005: donkey kong jungle beat
2007: super mario galaxy
2010: super mario galaxy 2 (finished in 2009)
2011: super mario 3d land (with help from brownie brown)
2013: super mario 3d world (with help from 1-up studio)
2014: captain toad's treasure trackers (with help from 1-up studio)

i believe it was also stated that their next mario game would not be on wii u, and i think nintendo understands that mario game at launch is important. they had that with wii u and new super mario bros. u, but that team's probably working on pikmin 4 and super mario maker for nx right now.

AniHawk

Wait...does Sony think that there's a huge audience of people who would rather buy a system that plays the exact same games slightly better (PS4.1) instead of a brand new system that could be roughly as powerful and has Nintendo games as well? Forget a shrinking audience for Nintendo platforms, what significant audience is Sony trying to target and why do they think that will work?

I own a PS4 and Wii U, and NX sounds far more intriguing than Sony's version of the New 3DS.

sony is targeting the high end market, like people who really enjoy pc gaming. i'd imagine it also gives a nice boost for ps vr.

Interfectum

The second screen / touch is almost assuredly true, IMO.

- It was the best part of Wii U.
- It allows NX to play Wii U games and ports.
- Most importantly, it fits into their mobile strategy. A kid can carry around the controller and play Miitomo on their controller or use their phone. It will also let them play with virtual buttons, touch, etc to better pass between mobile phone and controller allowing tighter integration cross platform.

They could even go a step further and have your phone or the next Ninty handheld control parts of the system. Touchscreen on the controller is a way to pull all of this together.

AniHawk

Sticker Star 2 deserves to die with the Wii U.

if sticker star was called paper legend of zelda, i think people would have been pretty okay with it. i like it as an action-adventure game and thought the game design was well-done throughout.

plus, it wasn't a complete waste of ambition like super paper mario.

Mory Dunz

i believe it was also stated that their next mario game would not be on wii u, and i think nintendo understands that mario game at launch is important. they had that with wii u and new super mario bros. u, but that team's probably working on pikmin 4 and super mario maker for nx right now.

Wii had no mario game at launch iirc. ;)

Yeah, Mario, Zelda, and the new IP they usually do would be good enough for launch for me.

All the other games can come later.

And then there's the whole thing of 3rd parties...

Just because you're not interested doesn't mean a lot of other people aren't. LM2 did sell over 4 million. Not every game has to be a "system seller". A game like this makes a more well rounded launch.

Pancake Mix

sony is targeting the high end market, like people who really enjoy pc gaming. i'd imagine it also gives a nice boost for ps vr.

I see what you mean, but there's a reason that group has never been specifically targeted alone, and that includes the Xbox in 2001 and Xbox 360 in 2005 which would certainly fit the bill. I like the regular PS4 and hope it does well but I hope that upgrade fails, because real console gen leaps every 4-8 years is a hell of a lot more interesting and better value than heading towards annual or biannual refreshes in my mind.

I don't own a PS4 because I like PC gaming... That doesn't sound like a well thought out plan if that's the case.

Yeah, it's really not a well thought out plan at all. I'd rather look forward to a real PS5.

Mory Dunz

if sticker star was called paper legend of zelda, i think people would have been pretty okay with it. i like it as an action-adventure game and thought the game design was well-done throughout.

plus, it wasn't a complete waste of ambition like super paper mario.

If it had the zelda name, people would've wanted a bit more from the level design and dungeon "solving". Unless it had a great battle system to make them forget allll about that. Which it didn't.

Nanashrew

Banned
I wish I was a fly on the wall at Nintendo to see what they're doing. And see how many pancakes Reggie is eating a day with fancy imported Canadian syrup.

TunaLover

Everything sounds like a fanboy dream. I'll remain skeptical about these rumors, they sound pretty contrary to the classic Nintendo we all know.

Banned
Thanks for posting 10K, but I already have a couple of thoughts (just having read the first thing on the controllers so far).

-Does the Wii U controller have built-in processing hardware? And could that be the reason why it's so expensive to the point Nintendo decided not to sell it individually? B/c if the NX controller is a continuation of that, I would have to assume the built-in processing hardware would be the main thing axed. If not and NX's controller is essentially the same as Wii U's build-wise, how are they going to keep it reasonably priced and provide it for individual sale? Or was that whole bit from Nintendo BS?

-The hotspot USB adapters is a good idea, but those already exist for a pretty reasonable price. I don't see the point in Nintendo making their own rather than just building in the infrastructure for 3rd party devices that do the same thing to work on NX. Unless it's for security purposes or something.

2x the GPU power is marginally better, aye. It's about the same region as whatever PS4K is supposed to be. Honestly, I expect NX, PS4K and XB1.5 to be roughly the same.

This would make sense, but 10k if you could please elaborate more on this?
See OrbitalMatrix's post above ^^^. Marginally is a vague term, if you want a scale it seemed to me like

PS4>>>>NX>>PS4K
But what if it's optional? Like part of a deluxe set?
That's fine.

jdstorm

Banned
Just a theory but my best guess is Nintendo will launch the NX Portable November 2016

More then likely the cost will be 300USD for a bundle featuring one of Smash Bros, Splatoon or Mario Maker. Nintendo likely won't care about giving those games away for free as they made money on the Wii U and it's a great way to reward their dedicated fan base who bought the Wii U by giving them a free copy of a game they already bought at launch. It would also greatly entice players who didn't buy a Wii U as those are great pack in titles.

In addition to that I'm expecting Full Support from the third party publishers especially Square ( Tomb Raider, FFXV, DQ) Capcom (Monster Hunter) Activision ( COD, Destiny, Lego,) and Ubisoft ( Just Dance). A previous GAF rumour had Nintendo having a meeting with EA around now to determine support. If all goes well that's FIFA, Madden, UFC, Star Wars games, Battlefield, Mirrors Edge

That's a pretty great Launch lineup. Without mentioning what Nintendo's A-Team first Party studios are doing.

Pancake Mix

I've got a question about Trev actually. What recourse does Nintendo have to go after him if he himself didn't sign NDA's?

See OrbitalMatrix's post above ^^^. Marginally is a vague term, if you want a scale it seemed to me like

PS4<<<<NX<<PS4K

That's fine.

I assume you mean like this?

Very nice.

Shiggy

Everything sounds like a fanboy dream. I'll remain skeptical about these rumors, they sound pretty contrary to the classic Nintendo we all know.

Agree. Just looking at Miitomo makes it difficult for me to believe that anything has changed or improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom