• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kouriozan

Now that I've posted what I've heard I'll post my opinion. I hope I'm wrong on the gimmick. It's not what I wanted from a gimmick, I don't care about taking my controller anywhere to access my home console games. I was hoping for something more unique or nothing at all.

There's always the possibility the three sources piggybacked off each other and all of them could be wrong. That's why I said take it all as a rumor. It could be 100% false.
While I love the idea, it's not going to be a selling point, so yeah.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Could you imagine the NX getting a timed exclusive first launch of Red Dead Redemption 2?

Now that right there would tell me Nintendo isn't fucking around this gen with the NX or third party support.

controller exclusive like Skyward Sword
Unless the "pro controller" on NX has something like the ps4 touch pad and will have a transparent overlay on the main screen if you use it. Kind of like how 3DSsequels that used the bottoms screen allowed you to control the top screen with the bottom one without looking down

Mory Dunz

Now that I've posted what I've heard I'll post my opinion. I hope I'm wrong on the gimmick. It's not what I wanted from a gimmick, I don't care about taking my controller anywhere to access my home console games. I was hoping for something more unique or nothing at all.

But what if it's optional? Like part of a deluxe set?

Neoxon

Hmm...

Once again, big grain of salt, but let's assume this is happening for the sake of the discussion:

In my first response in this thread I said this looks like Nintendo possibly actually beginning to pivot towards western markets with its consoles -- a reversal of how the Wii and Wii U were designed as low-wattage appliances for Japanese homes. In old threads I've even suggested Nintendo should sort of give up the Japanese console market or at least let it slip into tier-2 the way Sony has. Still, NX is still very much probably the child of Iwata, so I doubt a move like this would be all Kimishima (a former NOA head). The new posts makes the suggestion Nintendo is basically going balls-out, Gamecube/N64-style, with essentially a Super Wii U. Again, if true, this could go one way or the other depending on how Nintendo handles it.

Second screen play in itself wasn't the problem with Wii U. The problems were that 1) Nobody freaking knew what Wii U was from the jump, 2) Nintendo never had the software to justify second screen play, and 3) the Wii U was pretty much poised to never get real developer support.

Having a console powerful enough to run everybody's games and an easy development environment is just one step towards getting everybody's games. No rumor right now can tell us how or if Nintendo is building relationships with publishers differently than it has been. No rumor right now can tell us how those publishers feel about the NX's chances of building an audience for their games. EA and Ubisoft might fall in, but Bethesda? Take-Two? I think in order to even build that audience Nintendo would have to suck it away from Sony and Microsoft, because I don't think the conventional AAA console game audience is going to magically grow enough to accommodate a third hardware competitor in that market. I could be wrong though, Sony has said a big chunk of PS4 owners didn't own a PS3 or didn't normally buy consoles. But does Nintendo honestly have a good chance at figuring out why that is? And at the same time, a $350 - $400 console in 2016 is really going to have to prove itself to customers.
I get that you only said this in an older thread, but where would that leave Nintendo's handhelds? Would they be Nintendo's only in with the Japanese market?

platina

If that stuff is true it sounds like 399 with Ninty possibly taking a small hit.

I think another screen controller is a mistake no matter how cool off screen gaming might be.
For 399 with these specs yeah, they would need to take a small hit. It definitely will be sold at loss for nintendo

Delio

It's right there in my post that the controller is not going to replace the handheld. It can't. It won't have a gpu in it. It'll be a dummy controller with the bare necessities.

Dont you think that might confuse people if they go about that being the main feature of the console "Take your controller anywhere!" Then you release a handheld that is doing the same thing.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
All we can do is wait and see.

I don't think you're interpreting that correctly.

A Gamerpad that allows you to play your console games from anywhere is not "unique and different". Vita is already capable of that technology, and playing your games off the the tv is an evolution of the WiiU gimmick.

I'm not sure how I'm interpreting that statement incorrectly. He is addressing more then just a rebranding with that comment if that is what you are inferring.

Can you not attribute the info to 10k as if is saying this as a dev or an insider. He's posting all of this as rumors from unproven sources based on personal research. He's not giving it out as the gospel and has even grouped them from most to least likely and put up a disclaimer on his posts.

That's a very convenient way of preventing a ban/taking little blame if said information is false, yet getting all the credit if correct.

Kimawolf

Hmm...

Once again, big grain of salt, but let's assume this is happening for the sake of the discussion:

In my first response in this thread I said this looks like Nintendo possibly actually beginning to pivot towards western markets with its consoles -- a reversal of how the Wii and Wii U were designed as low-wattage appliances for Japanese homes. In old threads I've even suggested Nintendo should sort of give up the Japanese console market or at least let it slip into tier-2 the way Sony has. Still, NX is still very much probably the child of Iwata, so I doubt a move like this would be all Kimishima (a former NOA head). The new posts makes the suggestion Nintendo is basically going balls-out, Gamecube/N64-style, with essentially a Super Wii U. Again, if true, this could go one way or the other depending on how Nintendo handles it.

Second screen play in itself wasn't the problem with Wii U. The problems were that 1) Nobody freaking knew what Wii U was from the jump, 2) Nintendo never had the software to justify second screen play, and 3) the Wii U was pretty much poised to never get real developer support.

Having a console powerful enough to run everybody's games and an easy development environment is just one step towards getting everybody's games. No rumor right now can tell us how or if Nintendo is building relationships with publishers differently than it has been. No rumor right now can tell us how those publishers feel about the NX's chances of building an audience for their games. EA and Ubisoft might fall in, but Bethesda? Take-Two? I think in order to even build that audience Nintendo would have to suck it away from Sony and Microsoft, because I don't think the conventional AAA console game audience is going to magically grow enough to accommodate a third hardware competitor in that market. I could be wrong though, Sony has said a big chunk of PS4 owners didn't own a PS3 or didn't normally buy consoles. But does Nintendo honestly have a good chance at figuring out why that is? And at the same time, a $350 - $400 console in 2016 is really going to have to prove itself to customers.

They need a big, Western styled graphical showcase game at E3, and a realistic racer. I firmly believe if they had those two games published by Nintendo, it'd go a long way to show 3rd parties they are willing to build a western audience on their platform. They should also do whatever they need to ensure they get the sports games and COD day and date with the other consoles.

And maybe in advertising feature said "western" games and these will at least get some change on their audience.

Kouriozan

The gamepad in Splatoon is used to know where to go/ink, jump to your spawn point/beacon and tell where are your teammates/the other team is with some perks so you can plan ahead.

Banned
I could see this:

$299 Basic bundle - NX console with a standard controller, no games.

$350 Premium bundle - NX console with standard controller and Smash Bros

$400 Stream bundle - Comes with screen controller and Mario Maker or Splatoon or any game that requires a screen.

Vena

For 399 with these specs yeah, they would need to take a small hit. It definitely will be sold at loss for nintendo

Make the gamepad separate, and charge ~80$ for it, and make a pretty penny on it in return to cover the costs of the console losses.

Neoxon

Not really. Unless you think gaming is ass creed efc
We were talking about the idea of Nintendo ditching their dedicated handheld market & having the NX controller's Remote Play fill the void & how Nintendo wouldn't want to ditch their most successful market (especially in Japan).

Kouriozan

Could you imagine the NX getting a timed exclusive first launch of Red Dead Redemption 2?

Now that right there would tell me Nintendo isn't fucking around this gen with the NX or third party support.
Just like Wii U and GTA? :lol
It's not happening, unless Nintendo money-hat it heavily and then it wouldn't be worth it.

I just hope that if Nintendo indeed has a beefcake console (relatively at least) that they don't try to hide the specs for no reason.

O well. The reveal is within weeks now, just don't fuck it up.

Nintendo may have to eat a massive loss if they want the NX Console to catch on in that case. But after the the 3DS's rocky start & the Wii U's failure, I'm not too sure if Nintendo would be willing to take such a loss.

That being said, given rumors of Super Mario Maker & Splatoon getting ported over, it was starting to look like the NX Platform would retain dual-screen gameplay.

Considering how even WiiU that has ancient tech in it currently retails for $299 thanks to the tablet controller something like $399 with Nintendo taking some loss per unit sold is pretty much the lowest I can see for NX. I don't know either that is it exactly wise to launch that much more expensive console than competition (PS4 will be $299 this fall) when you have pretty much zero mindshare in home console market. Well will be interesting to see the final specs of the console and the price of it.

Something that could maybe happen if those specs are real:
NX cross platform release (handheld+console)
Handheld games runs at 540p 30fps, console version runs at 4K, 60fps. Smaller games like DKCR3 or maybe the next Mario kart.
Is that doable with these specs?

Nintendo isn't ditching their handheld market.

Who in Japan would buy a Nintendo console for a controller with a screen that they can take anywhere. This sounds optional and a true handheld would still be coming.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Sell me a screen controller for $100 that comes with a Splatoon or Super Mario Maker port and I'll buy it. But it seems odd to have a central gimmick be optional.

jdstorm

Banned
Once again, Iwata shot down the idea of a single-device hybrid of that kind before he died. And to be fair, 3DS sales are on somewhat of a decline (mostly due to the platform showing its age).

It's not a hybrid though. It's a handheld with a TV out. It's almost industry standard with products like Apple TV and Google Chromecast ect

Then if that sold well ni tendon would be able to capitalise on its success and release a more traditional home console ( that could be daisy chained with the portable) for extra power mid generation. This becomes Nintendos new iterative console cycle.

Edit: with a good deal from AMD Nintendo could sell a handheld as powerful as 10k is suggesting for. Around 250-300 dollars. Which is typically the sweet spot for families to start adopting a console.

Toparaman

Banned
Off-TV play from any Wi-Fi hotspot is pretty incredible if it works well. But if it does work well, it's probably an expensive solution.

If it works well and it's cheap, it's probably Nintendo's best "gimmick" since motion controls, maybe even the analog thumbstick. Think about it: if you and your friend(s) all have NXs, you get the advantages of both local multiplayer (the social aspect of having players in the same physical location) and online multiplayer (not having to divide system resources between players in a splitscreen situation).

edit: on the other hand, your friend's internet would be taking quite a hit from having multiple devices streaming HD video in realtime, so never mind.

I'm seriously question why even bother doing a WiiU gamepad-like screen again? Why not just couple those features to an NX handheld? Especially if the console is going to be around PS4K power and therefore likely close to $400 on its own?

Most of the features the 2nd screen stuff brings (item management in certain games, Off-TV play, etc.) are either doable on a single screen w/ some UI retooling, or are niche to the point where most people looking into the console are not going to use them as the main factors for buying one.

Plus in doing it this way, they don't run the risk of cannibalizing NX handheld sales and in fact give Western markets more of a reason to purchase the handheld!

Those yearning for those extra features would already be likely willing to go premium so a $500 or so NX w/ the handheld to facilitate those features wouldn't be a big deal for most of them. Then later down the line as the console sees price cuts through revisions and the handheld gets cheaper iterations, they can throw out a console + handheld bundle for a low cost and use that as the default SKU. That way they serve both markets and give Eastern, Western, and international territories more of a reason to buy both systems.

That's my opinion on this particular aspect of the NX curiosity, anyway.

Ansatz

There will be a screen in the controller if the shared library concept is even remotely a thing, because they need to maintain control scheme parity between the handheld and console. Otherwise they would have to deliberately hold back design in order for a home console port of a game to work.

For example the handheld version of Mario Maker using the same control scheme as on Wii U, while the console version of Mario Maker uses a dual analog control setup makes absolutely no sense. Or being able to see how the ink is distributed in real time on the handheld version of Splatoon, while having none of that info available on the console. This is not happening, unless the handheld is a single screen device like Vita but at that point I will enter rage mode.

Nintendo isn't ditching their handheld market.

Who in Japan would buy a Nintendo console for a controller with a screen that they can take anywhere. This sounds optional and a true handheld would still be coming.
Giving this tech to a handheld would probably make more sense

Just of note, given the info now divulged... this isn't actually impossible because we may end up with a low TDP console (again) that will in practice be just over the ~PS4~ for cross platform titles, say 1080/60 rather than 1080/30, but, when pressed with its rather unique GCN 1.3 functions, able to go toe to toe with the more throughput powered X1.5 and PS4K which are, I am almost certain, going the brute force way of upgrading.

Yeah, I think this is the most realistic best case scenario. I'm just trying to work out how much this thing is going to cost though. If 10k's post is to be believed, this thing is VERY architecturally modern. £329.99/399.99 is my guess.

donny2112

I play all my Wii U games (that I can) off-screen. Even deal with stupid bugs like "no sound in off-screen mode" to play off-screen. Hate it when a game makes me use both the TV and the controller (probably not getting Star Fox for this reason), so this thing
having an always-on off-screen mode in a possible elite model
actually increases my chance of getting it someday. (Have tons of backlog and need to get through that before adding more consoles on to the pile. :( )

But where would that leave games such as Super Mario Maker & Splatoon, both of which rely on a second screen?

I have never played Super Mario Maker with two screens. Splatoon, okay, but SMM would be unaffected.

maxcriden

Reading thru these rad new rumors ... Thanks 10k!

😎

One thing jumped out at me.

sources have told me that it is in development for NX, and one source said it's being developed by Next Level Games, who is big enough to do this and Federation Force at the same time.

Did a source say NLG is this big or so we know that for a fact? I thought we'd known them to be smaller...was I thinking of Monster Games?

Joqu

Anyone know what profit margins on standard controllers are like anyway? I already find those to be way expensive but clearly that's considered to be acceptable.

If they're as big as I'm I thinking they are and Nintendo have found a way to make the screen tech somewhat cheaper compared to the gamepad I could see them bring a controller like that out for a similar price but without those kind of profits? Unless those regular controllers really are just that expensive to make.

I'd still love to gain some insight on this. Surely a DS4 sold at $60 makes for a pretty healthy profit?

We really just need to know what the NX is because these rumors seem to make the NX more confusing to what it really is and what it's options are.

The God

grZAZ.gif

A handheld wouldn't need the tech. You can already take the 3ds anywhere and play online at hotspots.
But having the Wii U's really good local remote play streaming which runs at 60fps instead 30 in a handheld would be neat.
Don't think you can do that if it's not built with that in mind

Kimawolf

Reading thru these rad new rumors ... Thanks 10k!

😎

One thing jumped out at me.

Did a source say NLG is this big or so we know that for a fact? I thought we'd known them to be smaller...was I thinking of Monster Games?

I believe Monster Games isn't that big. but perhaps they quietly expanded Next Level Games.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Something that could maybe happen if those specs are real:
NX cross platform release (handheld+console)
Handheld games runs at 540p 30fps, console version runs at 4K, 60fps]. Smaller games like DKCR3 or maybe the next Mario kart.
Is that doable with these specs?

What do these games look like? Technically that's of course possible, but it really depends on what developers are aiming for. The strongest of the rumored Polaris chips releasing this year is supposedly aiming for 1440/60. I can't imagine what a game would have to look like to be 4k and 60. However, if these games are handheld games, somewhere between Wii and Wii U visually but leaning towards the latter (where I expect the handheld) and upscaled to 4k/60 with no improvements besides IQ, then yeah, maybe? I just don't know how good a Wii U 0.75 game would look in 4k.

donny2112

We really just need to know what the NX is because these rumors seem to make the NX more confusing to what it really is and what it's options are.

What's there to be confused about? Base model like a PS4 or XB1 that plugs into your TV and uses a regular controller.
Elite model with improved Wii U gamepad for playing off-screen everywhere (maybe just everywhere in the house, though) for those that care about it.

I have a crazy idea, what if its subsidized? Just like before the Xbox One was announced, there were rumors that the console would have subsidization, so you pay 100 dollars or, something like that, upfront and pay the rest in installments. I don't think Nintendo would do it, but I would be interesting because they can make consoles more powerful and include things like a screen controller without the initial cost being low.

Edit: Also, Nintendo hinted at something that we have never seen before, so this may fundamentally shake up the console industry.

Banned
A Gamerpad that allows you to play your console games from anywhere is not "unique and different". Vita is already capable of that technology, and playing your games off the the tv is an evolution of the WiiU gimmick.

I'm not sure how I'm interpreting that statement incorrectly. He is addressing more then just a rebranding with that comment if that is what you are inferring.

That's a very convenient way of preventing a ban/taking little blame if said information is false, yet getting all the credit if correct.

Except I'm not asking for any credit. That's out of my hands. I made it clear to the mods and to you guys I'm passing down info. If it's right, then we can be sure the people I spoke to are legit, if it's wrong, we were played like damn fiddles and my sources are garbage.

Gaf doesn't ban people for posting rumors. Gaf bans people for claming to be the source of info and leaking it and it ends up being wrong (like cboat).

What's there to be confused about? Base model like a PS4 or XB1 that plugs into your TV and uses a regular controller.
Elite model with improved Wii U gamepad for playing off-screen everywhere (maybe just everywhere in the house, though) for those that care about it.
I already came to this conclusion, but there's no way this is Nintendos gimmick which is a suped up Gamepad which is optional.

Just of note, given the info now divulged... this isn't actually impossible because we may end up with a low TDP console (again) that will in practice be just over the ~PS4~ for cross platform titles, say 1080/60 rather than 1080/30, but, when pressed with its rather unique GCN 1.3 functions, able to go toe to toe with the more throughput powered X1.5 and PS4K which are, I am almost certain, going the brute force way of upgrading.
Imo it would beat the ps4k simply because gcn 1.3 no?

ugoo18

They need a big, Western styled graphical showcase game at E3, and a realistic racer. I firmly believe if they had those two games published by Nintendo, it'd go a long way to show 3rd parties they are willing to build a western audience on their platform. They should also do whatever they need to ensure they get the sports games and COD day and date with the other consoles.

And maybe in advertising feature said "western" games and these will at least get some change on their audience.

More or less all on Retro's shoulders then since Nintendo is lacking western arms.

Well, they won't be right if it doesn't have Polaris features.

I was hoping the Polaris thing would be Tier 400 but I'll take it :p

I guess my problem with most NX rumors is how there's not a whole lot specific about them. These rumors compared to those of the PS4 and Xbox One are like night a day. We were getting very specific rumors about those. Like the type of ram and how much they'd have, what graphics cards they were based on, their clock speed etc. Not X amount more powerful and stuff like that.

Right now NX rumors seem to be confined to Twitter and forum posts while we were seeing major tech sites constantly getting pretty accurate reports about what the Orbis and Durango would be. It allowed a site like Digital Foundry to put together PC's that would ballpark what we could expect visually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom