• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't care if this turns out to be false. Hopping on board the 10k train. At the very least he's entertained me during a pretty bleak time.

Hope you're right, 10k, I was fine believing it was between X1 and PS4 now you're promising quite a lot of more even if I don't fully understand it.
I think I know who's the source for the last one about the NX output being greater than the Wii U's rather quickly.
Splatoon's success should show that more new IPs will probably happen.

bomblord1

Banned
The answers seem to mimic what the thread has been going on about. Were you basing your questions on our speculation?

Also the hardware based culling sounds awesome.

Thanks for posting 10K, but I already have a couple of thoughts (just having read the first thing on the controllers so far).

-Does the Wii U controller have built-in processing hardware? And could that be the reason why it's so expensive to the point Nintendo decided not to sell it individually? B/c if the NX controller is a continuation of that, I would have to assume the built-in processing hardware would be the main thing axed. If not and NX's controller is essentially the same as Wii U's build-wise, how are they going to keep it reasonably priced and provide it for individual sale? Or was that whole bit from Nintendo BS?

-The hotspot USB adapters is a good idea, but those already exist for a pretty reasonable price. I don't see the point in Nintendo making their own rather than just building in the infrastructure for 3rd party devices that do the same thing to work on NX. Unless it's for security purposes or something.

-Horizon-

Sounds too good to be true

tumblr_lrs1enPzYb1qfgll5o2_r2_250.gif

Neoxon

But how would Nintendo manage to keep up that large of an NX portfolio as far as games go without uniting everything under one platform? And would the controller being able to be taken anywhere come at the cost of Nintendo's dedicated handhelds (I doubt it, but I could see some interpreting your news as such)?

I said Luigis Mansion 3 would be great for launch. I said Next Level Games was making LM3 for Wii U, but it got pushed to NX due to Wii U failing. There was the rumor last year prior to E3 NLG was making a Wii U game. This makes total sense and makes me soooo happy!

bachikarn

Thanks 10k

Thoughts:

1) I really can't believe Nintendo saw the lack of success of the Wii U and really thought Off TV Play should again be the gimmick, especially if the NX really is Western focused. They are again completely misreading the market. If true, hopefully it is optional.

2) These two seem like contradictory statements:' It is "marginally better than the PS4" and theoretically could be "2x the power of PS4 GPU".' Unless they mean 2x is marginally better.

LordOfChaos

Aww yeah, 14nm Polaris. Now THERE are the details many of us were yearning for, even if it's T1. Now the question is, how big i.e shaders, ROPs, TMUs, etc.

udivision

But how would Nintendo manage to keep up that large of an NX portfolio as far as games go without uniting everything under one platform? And would the controller being able to be taken anywhere come at the cost of Nintendo's dedicated handhelds?

Wouldn't the dedicated handheld be able to to stream as well (like the Vita) an so much more?

R00bot

Thanks for posting 10K, but I already have a couple of thoughts (just having read the first thing on the controllers so far).

-Does the Wii U controller have built-in processing hardware? And could that be the reason why it's so expensive to the point Nintendo decided not to sell it individually? B/c if the NX controller is a continuation of that, I would have to assume the built-in processing hardware would be the main thing axed. If not and NX's controller is essentially the same as Wii U's build-wise, how are they going to keep it reasonably priced and provide it for individual sale? Or was that whole bit from Nintendo BS?

-The hotspot USB adapters is a good idea, but those already exist for a pretty reasonable price. I don't see the point in Nintendo making their own rather than just building in the infrastructure for 3rd party devices that do the same thing to work on NX. Unless it's for security purposes or something.

I believe the Wii U gamepad actually has 2 CPUs that allow for it to do some functions on its own such as the TV remote, the notifications thing and the quick start menu (and uncompress the stream from the console, but that's a given).

wheapon

Thanks 10k

Thoughts:

1) I really can't believe Nintendo saw the lack of success of the Wii U and really thought Off TV Play should again be the gimmick, especially if the NX really is Western focused. They are again completely misreading the market. If true, hopefully it is optional.

2) These two seem like contradictory statements:' It is "marginally better than the PS4" and theoretically could be "2x the power of PS4 GPU".' Unless they mean 2x is marginally better.

For number 2 I think they meant the CPU was marginally better and the GPU was much better. I might be reading it wrong, though.

bomblord1

Banned
Thanks 10k

Thoughts:

It's literally the best part about the system. Like no joke. I have trouble going back sometimes. It's a straight up killer app that's been expounded by tons of reviewers, professionals, and and every day men alike.

But how would Nintendo manage to keep up that large of an NX portfolio as far as games go without uniting everything under one platform? And would the controller being able to be taken anywhere come at the cost of Nintendo's dedicated handhelds (I doubt it, but I could see some interpreting your news as such)?
Unifying development or ditching the handheld is one way of doing it. If the remote play is good enough it could make it a handheld replacement, though I'm not sure they'll ditch the handheld entirely.
Making the systems "like brothers" as Iwata said implies they're two of them

AniHawk

i think this is the leadup to that. maybe they're doing this now and then next year they'll give people the option to buy the screen controller without needing a console to work with it, and they're just waiting for tech to improve/become cost-effective enough for them to do it.

Neoxon

Unifying development or ditching the handheld is one way of doing it. If the remote play is good enough it could make it a handheld replacement, though I'm not sure they'll ditch the handheld entirely.
Making the systems "like brothers" as Iwata said implies they're two of them
I'm of the same belief, but recent events have people doubting that we'll even get a handheld under the NX Platform.

georly

That description of the screen controller sounds like it's just the Wii U gamepad... or am I missing something?

Basically an amped up gamepad :/

Gamepad that can be used anywhere instead of within 20 feet. Gamepad that hopefully has a better touch screen.

Off-TV play is definitely a good feature but I feel like it's hard to see the value in it until after you've bought the system. I'm not sure they could market that as its major USP.

It should really be optional to drive system costs down. Bundle it with mario maker or something.

Optional peripheral usually means the peripheral will die, but Wii U gave it 4 years to prove itself, and it only succeeded a small handful of times. If that's all it's got, make it optional.

Banned
My biggest fear laid to rest. It could theoretically come close to ps4k. It won't be outdated out the door nice

I mean, even the most pessimistic source has put it above stock PS4, and Sony and pubs won't abaondon that install base, so NX even being weaker than PS4k by a lot wouldn't make it outdated out the door.

WadeitOut

Huh? It's called references.

...Referenced for supposed secret information? Wat? If he has references than why would we assume said reference aren't the actual source? His sources happened to only tell him information on existing Reddit/GAF rumors and speculation?

Feel free to believe but I'm putting it in the "Free College Tuition" bin of silliness.

Thanks 10k

Thoughts:

2x the GPU power is marginally better, aye. It's about the same region as whatever PS4K is supposed to be. Honestly, I expect NX, PS4K and XB1.5 to be roughly the same.

Cool info, thanks tenkay.

Really hope LM3 is a return to form, if true. LM2's mission-based design made sense for a handheld, but it wasn't the sprawling zelda/metroid-lite that I enjoyed about LM1 on the cube.

On the basis this is true, I'm actually kinda torn. A LM set-up would be more fitting for a home console, but LM2 was such a superior experience imo.

Gamepad 2.0 being mandatory on an expensive system sounds like a bad idea. Offering remote play and second screen elite controller would work out better

Neoxon

I mean, even the most pessimistic source has put it above stock PS4, and Sony and pubs won't abaondon that install base, so NX even being weaker than PS4k by a lot wouldn't make it outdated out the door.
But what your source said was that, going by the PS4K rumors, the NX Console should be within reasonable proximity to the PS4K.

Banned
Hmm. PS4 remote play doesn't work super well for me even on local wifi, I wonder if Nintendos will be any better or we'll have a wide spectrum of experiences based on different home networking setups. Even 720P streaming chunked out on me with the PS4 going straight to the router from a powerline and a 15" rMBP getting a 117Mbps signal on wifi.

They could use a newer codec and better encoding chip (1080p plox) I suppose, and the supplementary wifi extenders are interesting (but in the speculation section)

Screen was rumored to be 540p and the gamepad did have some incredible streaming tech.

Why are some of you complaing about having a better Gamepad?

10K even said he doesn't know if it's the standard controller. For all we know it's optional. And second the Gamepad has to be close to the Wii U. This can be taken anywhere! I love this idea.

Wasn't there another rumor mentioning maybe the gimmick of the NX would be optional? I don't think Nintendo wants to drive the price up of the NX console.

Doctre81

...Referenced for supposed secret information? Wat? If he has references than why would we assume said reference aren't the actual source? His sources happened to only tell him information on existing Reddit/GAF rumors and speculation?

Feel free to believe but I'm putting it in the "Free College Tuition" bin of silliness.

I am just saying that he is showing that this stuff is not impossible and not just putting it out of his rear.

bomblord1

Banned
This is how I feel about it too so it's great news for me personally if true. That said price is a concern and the Wii U stigma is real.

If they double down on it as an "off screen play" experience in the marketing as opposed to the difficult to understand asymmetrical play aspect I think it could be done. In fact it might be good to make be good to make it a de-facto standard across all games to support off-screen play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom