• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzaK

Off-TV play is definitely a good feature but I feel like it's hard to see the value in it until after you've bought the system. I'm not sure they could market that as its major USP.

Yeah, I would have expected them to do it via the handheld. That is, if you want offscreen then you buy the handheld. If they have an optional (has to be so not to kill cost) shell controller that can stream from the NX that's pretty nice.

I hope the screen controller would either be optional OR that the sources´ info isn´t 100% and in reality the future handheld can be used as a screened controller for the home console and then for remote play too.

I just don´t want the system to have an increased price point because of that :|

Oh well, we´ll see.

As to the Polaris rumors; imho I don't think Nintendo's going straight Polaris, but they could do what MS did w/ nVidia for the OG Xbox's GPU. So basically what is already posted, but it may be possible Nintendo's version is attuned for features they are developing themselves that aren't necessarily part of the Polaris line?

They could maybe do something like that if it meant a cheaper APU design, but I guess that also depends on how much R&D Nintendo's put into that area, which would depend on how much they know of and how long they've had access to Polaris tech.

xHiryu

vTUZ5.gif

phanphare

Banned
mmmmmm, that remote play sounds fantastic

hopefully they keep the Wii U streaming tech in there so if you're within range of the console you can get that lag-free 60fps goodness

glad Nintendo seems to have learned the right things from the Wii U and they're not running away from the great features the console had despite it's failure

Doctre81

If they figured out how to make a better gamepad that you can take anywhere and is still cheap enough to sell stand alone...that's amazing actually.

bachikarn

It's literally the best part about the system. Like no joke. I have trouble going back sometimes. It's a straight up killer app that's been expounded by tons of reviewers, professionals, and and every day men alike.

You might like it, and that's cool, but most Americans don't care. They have multiple TVs and don't NEED to play games while they poo or whatever. It's a cool extra feature, which is why it should be optional. It can't be something they dedicate resource or budget to IMO.

nekomix

Dude I'm glad I waited.
Too much dream in those rumors but AMD being desperate enough to do huge bargains to get some brand awareness through Nintendo's handheld market seems plausible... and sounds too much like an educated guess.

Banned
A launch portfolio consisting of Luigi's Mansion 3, Zelda, and Smash 4 would be insane.
I have no idea if LM3 is a launch game. Likely 2017.
Hope you're right, 10k, I was fine believing it was between X1 and PS4 now you're promising quite a lot of more even if I don't fully understand it.
I think I know who's the source for the last one about the NX output being greater than the Wii U's rather quickly.
Splatoon's success should show that more new IPs will probably happen.

I'm not promising anything. My sources are. None of this is my info. Only the speculation parts to help understand stuff.

FyreWulff

Hmm. PS4 remote play doesn't work super well for me even on local wifi, I wonder if Nintendos will be any better or we'll have a wide spectrum of experiences based on different home networking setups. Even 720P streaming chunked out on me with the PS4 going straight to the router from a powerline and a 15" rMBP getting a 117Mbps signal on wifi.

They could use a newer codec and better encoding chip (1080p plox) I suppose, and the supplementary wifi extenders are interesting (but in the speculation section)

It's likely if Nintendo goes the gamepad route again, it will be two different streaming experiences: the existing no-latency 60fps when near the home console, and remote streaming will be like the others where it tends to be 30fps with input latency.

And that's just due to physics.

The GamePad we have now runs on Wireless N @ 5ghz and saturates 99% of the bandwidth N can give just pushing 480p. This is why it's so strict on it's range, because it can't allow too many dropped packets and the higher you go in GHz the worse your range (and wall penetration) gets. This is also why if any game supported two GamePads, it had to do 30fps (alternate frames to each pad) - it wasn't due to the console's horsepower, but the fact that there was literally no bandwidth left to push two 60fps streams over N.

Neoxon

Another screen controller and decent amount of more power than PS4. Sounds pretty expensive (if true).
Nintendo may have to eat a massive loss if they want the NX Console to catch on in that case. But after the the 3DS's rocky start & the Wii U's failure, I'm not too sure if Nintendo would be willing to take such a loss.

That being said, given rumors of Super Mario Maker & Splatoon getting ported over, it was starting to look like the NX Platform would retain dual-screen gameplay.

If they figured out how to make a better gamepad that you can take anywaye and is still cheap enough to sell stand alone...that's amazing actually.
This is what I'm hoping for.

Nanashrew

Banned
Thanks for posting 10K, but I already have a couple of thoughts (just having read the first thing on the controllers so far).

-Does the Wii U controller have built-in processing hardware? And could that be the reason why it's so expensive to the point Nintendo decided not to sell it individually? B/c if the NX controller is a continuation of that, I would have to assume the built-in processing hardware would be the main thing axed. If not and NX's controller is essentially the same as Wii U's build-wise, how are they going to keep it reasonably priced and provide it for individual sale? Or was that whole bit from Nintendo BS?

-The hotspot USB adapters is a good idea, but those already exist for a pretty reasonable price. I don't see the point in Nintendo making their own rather than just building in the infrastructure for 3rd party devices that do the same thing to work on NX. Unless it's for security purposes or something.

Yeah, the Wii U gamepad actually has a lot of tech inside of it. Sounds to me like they're reducing what's inside to lower cost but still keep the functions thus keeping the system's price lower.

udivision

I'm thinking the controller is optional, and they're going to try and convince you to buy it in two ways:

-It's needed for certain Wii U ports (like the two in the thread title)
-It improves (but is not needed for) some launch titles.

Maybe it'll be $80?

Kimawolf

So how will they make this work with the SCDs? I could imagine it getting fairly complex with all the different add ons and stuff.

And it makes sense for them to go with newer tech. They want the handheld and consoles to be like brothers, and I firmly believe they want forward compatibility going forward, so investing now in the baseline tech will ensure in the future they can continue on this path.

Good going Nintendo, lets get it going.

And on the plus side, I haven't heard any devs say "lol CPU is shit, but you dont need a CPU to run Mario" or whatever lol.

and 2x the power is not much. remember consoles generally are 8 to 10 times as powerful as the previous one generally. 2x greater than PS4 or PS4k isn't that much, and would most likely just effect stuff like frame rates/ai and stuff I imagine.

Kouriozan

I'm also guessing the screen controller will be sold separately, otherwise the NX might be too expensive.
Bundle it with Mario Maker port and done.

I'm guessing there might be a lot of shortages coming if they'll have an hard time releasing it worldwide at about the same time.
Having shortages would probably be better PR than having too much stock. I think Nintendo made like 10 million for the launch window on Wii U and only sold like 3

LordOfChaos

The Primitive Discard Accelerator by the way is a Polaris feature, not exclusive to NX/Nintendo

http://wccftech.com/amd-polaris/

It is similar to what some devs ended up doing with the Cell to make up for the RSX, or even now some use the asynchronous compute ability of new GPUs to cull the GPUs own render work in the next frame!

Delio

Unifying development or ditching the handheld is one way of doing it. If the remote play is good enough it could make it a handheld replacement, though I'm not sure they'll ditch the handheld entirely.
Making the systems "like brothers" as Iwata said implies they're two of them

Ditching the handheld feels like a terrible idea. I guess the controller will take up that role but ehhh...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
10K's gimmick contradicts Nintendo's most recent statement about the NX:

Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima said:
We talked about the transition from Wii hardware to the Wii U hardware and how difficult it is to explain to the consumer base what is different and new about the new hardware. It's difficult to convince them to switch from their current platform to the next platform. That being said, I can assure you we're not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It's something unique and different. It's something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.

You choose who to believe.

georly

On the basis this is true, I'm actually kinda torn. A LM set-up would be more fitting for a home console, but LM2 was such a superior experience imo.

100% disagree. If LM2 had managed to join all the missions together into giant mansion-puzzle-fests, then it would have been a better game. The fact that you 'reset' back to the start and the house was in a different 'state' each time rubbed me the wrong way.

I think a fusion of the 2 games would be a perfect luigi's mansion. Take away the mission structure, add back in the ghosts with personalities/faces, and then keep everything else from LM2, and you have a big big winner.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm thinking the controller is optional, and they're going to try and convince you to buy it in two ways:

-It's needed for certain Wii U ports (like the two in the thread title)
-It improves (but is not needed for) some launch titles.

Maybe it'll be $80?

They could pack it in too for a specific bundle. I do miss the way they did things with having 2 controllers packed in like the N64 did.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Sorry but I'm not buying any of these NX rumors.

NeoGAF really, really need to walk back their excitement.

I think you're being worked worse then a WWE crowd.

You can go to jail for breaking NDAs. There's no way developers are letting
things get out like specs, etc. At most, a few small things may be legit but other
pranksters are jumping in muddying the waters with outlandish claims.

For example, there's no way on Earth I see a Nintendo launching at a loss. They've always made positive money on their hardware launches. Heck, it's pretty much one of their philosophies.

As for system power, Nintendo has repeatedly said they don't see themselves in console
wars with MS or Sony. For the NX to be more powerful than a PS4 and possibly on par with a PS4K while still selling at an affordable price....I just don't see it.

Fair warning Nintendo fans. Dial back your expectations big time. Better to be surprised then let down.

Yeah, unless the new U gamepad is optional, that things is gonna be expensive. Should be sold separately or in a deluxe bundle.
I think it will be optional (meaning regular controller with NX) and they'll have a bundle with it. Nintendo doesn't want to make their system a high price again.

I knew FFVII Remake wasn't happening up there. What they might do tho (if it does turn out Sony isn't co-funding it, tho I don't see why Sony wouldn't be co-funding the game) is use FFXV as a test to see how good sales are, and if they measure up, could consider a FFVII remake port down the line.

The Boat

I don't really want the second screen and touch screen to go away. It's too usual a feature, especially coupled with Off-TV. Then again, I didn't want pointer and separate controllers to go away either.

AniHawk

Gamepad 2.0 being mandatory on an expensive system sounds like a bad idea. Offering remote play and second screen elite controller would work out better

so what if these are the options at launch:

1. nx main console: $299.99 with normal controller, comes with a digital splatoon or whatever

2. nx deluxe console: $399.99 with fancy screen controller, comes with a physical zelda game plus the digital splatoon.

for those who bought the standalone, you can buy the screen controller separately for $199.99 and it comes with an scd in order to function, but you can't play it on your tv, and it doesn't come with a game. this is essentially the new handheld, and may get an upgrade in 2017 so that it's an all-in-one device with a clamshell design.

bomblord1

Banned
You might like it, and that's cool, but most Americans don't care. They have multiple TVs and don't NEED to play games while they poo or whatever. It's a cool extra feature, which is why it should be optional. It can't be something they dedicate resource or budget to IMO.

I think you would be very surprised.

Most people don't want to move a console from room to room.

If the name "Stream" ends up being real wouldn't it make sense to stick with blue cases instead of the potential red ones we've seen mocked up here?

Or yellow cases for laughs

Anarky

Banned
I think the screen controller is gonna be optional and that whatever handheld they release alongside the console will also have remote play.

Kimawolf

For price if that is true, I bet they'll take the loss initially for the future gains of building their new forward moving base. im betting on 299.99 or 349.99, they'll take a loss on it for sure. After all as we see with Miitomo, Nintendo's new goal is about building up brand awareness and regaining customers for a long term benefit.

HeySeuss

They invested a lot of money in the gamepad, which has kept the cost of the WiiU from being discounted, potentially at the cost of greater sales but less revenue. There was almost zero chance they would abandon something they invested that much money on. Besides, it's a great controller with a lot of tech packed into it and if they improve on it? Damn.

The controller is going to have an NFC chip for amiibo. The gamepad is already built for that. Hell it almost looks like a test model for a portable device, but their vision was limited by the technology of the day.

So I don't understand the surprise some of you have for another screened controller. I doubt Nintendo blames the gamepad for the WiiUs failure, and they shouldn't.

Neoxon

I think the screen controller is gonna be optional and that whatever handheld they release alongside the console will also have remote play.
But where would that leave games such as Super Mario Maker & Splatoon, both of which rely on a second screen?

100% disagree. If LM2 had managed to join all the missions together into giant mansion-puzzle-fests, then it would have been a better game. The fact that you 'reset' back to the start and the house was in a different 'state' each time rubbed me the wrong way.

I think a fusion of the 2 games would be a perfect luigi's mansion. Take away the mission structure, add back in the ghosts with personalities/faces, and then keep everything else from LM2, and you have a big big winner.
Luigis Mansion 2 was clearly designed as a handheld game with missions. It was a great game, but I prefer the first one and if LM3 is on the console I hope they make an open world game where you can walk to multiple mansions.

Thinking this positively about Nintendo automatically makes me default back into cautiously anxious.

Luigis Mansion always looks great on its respective console. A modern looking one would look amazing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom