• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Resident Evil 8 will be Third-Person, might bring back Hook Man, still early in development

I did like RE7 and I like RE2 Remake a lot as well, but I really do hope it goes third person again mostly because it feels more like Resident Evil style imo. Also, there are way too many first person horror games on the market. I don’t think they should change one the few third person horror games left into another first person horror game. Maybe have two points of views like Siren, GTA5 or RDR2 to make everyone happy?

PrCat88

And there is 46 First person horror games on PSN
Instead of replying to comments with a snarky comment and reaction gif you could at least contribute. There was a wave of third person horror games. Plenty as the list continues to build. Some still get made like Until Dawn, but first person horror games are on the recent rise. There's nothing wrong with that.
The Evil Within is the list, there are no fuckin more now
Resident Evil is the last AAA series the rest have been dead for over a decade

tenor.gif

That's cool, I already know and it don't play as well.

giphy.gif

cdc.jpg

They said after making REmake HD that it was eye opening and they was confident in remaking RE2, this was when mini RE7 project was in the works by the team that later join the RE2 Remake team because they finally found the right direction for the series by making RE2

No its not, this rumour says it doesnt and every other piece of information indicates the series is following RE2 Remake with RE3 first followed by New entry.
If you want something new play a new IP.
There's plenty apparently.

Dude I have 11(more not installed) installed on my PS4 with RE2 and Evil Within sat on there own in the corner

The RE8 rumors are just that. No need to pretend they are fact and set yourself up for any disappointment. Instead of snarky comments and reaction gifs you can be less closeminded on the matter. It's not as though the series is destroyed by experimening with both.

Could you also elaborate on how the added fist person setting doesn't "play as well" for The Evil Within 2? The animations and aiming felt fine and I've tried it on console and PC. On par with GTAV and Red Dead Redemption 2 that also include options to play in first person.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Instead of replying to comments with a snarky comment and reaction gif you could at least contribute. There was a wave of third person horror games. Plenty as the list continues to build. Some still get made like Until Dawn, but first person horror games are on the recent rise. There's nothing wrong with that.

The RE8 rumors are just that. No need to pretend they are fact and set yourself up for any disappointment. Instead of snarky comments and reaction gifs you can be less closeminded on the matter. It's not as though the series is destroyed by experimening with both.
You keep saying there is loads of third person horror games, so far you only named games that are older then most members here and probably had there last release about the same time the new actors in RE2 was born.
First person horror game are not recently on a rise they have saturated the market, no if or buts
Evil Within being the only third person horror game outside RE which did the FPH thing isn't a snarky comment, it is the only one.
Yeah we had Until Dawn, we also have as I said more than 46 FPH on the PSN store alone and there is exactly 12 3rd person horrors
Which is mainly made up of Resident Evil Remasters/ Evil Within and Until Dawn.
So yeah, if ya wanna continue singing the same song then ya sure go head.
But expect the gifs

It's cool you like First Person Horror Games, hope they continue making good ones
But don't make out 3rd person horrors aren't rare, there's more point & click adventure games then there is of them.

Last edited:

PrCat88

You keep saying there is loads of third person horror games, so far you only named games that are older then most members here and probably had there last release about the same time the new actors in RE2 was born.
First person horror game are not recently on a rise they have saturated the market, no if or buts
Evil Within being the only third person horror game outside RE which did the FPH thing isn't a snarky comment, it is the only one.
Yeah we had Until Dawn, we also have as I said more than 46 FPH on the PSN store alone and there is exactly 12 3rd person horrors
Which is mainly made up of Resident Evil Remasters/ Evil Within and Until Dawn.
So yeah, if ya wanna continue singing the same song then ya sure go head.
But expect the gifs
Third person horror games are not that old. Dead Space 3 and Silent Hill Downpour came out around the same generation as RE6 so if you grew up with a PS3 or 360 you had access to that plus other games.

The wave of third person horror games was very popular in the 90s and early 00s. The way you act about fps horror games now is the reverse of what was happening in that time. We were getting Manhunt, Suffering, Eternal Darkness, etc. We still had the big games like RE and Silent Hill, but there was no short supply of third person games.

And just cause you wave your hand at new third person games like The Last of Us (and it's upcoming sequel), Evil Within and Until Dawn doesn't mean they stop existing. I'm also seeing an add for Nightcry coming to Vita after releasing on PC. Hell if I know why they'd bother but it's there. The problem is you are seeing more fps horror games now and lumping them all together. As if RE7 is the same as Soma.

You also admit you buy more fps horror games in your current psn library. This is why they're in plentiful supply. The market dictates what you spend your money on. So instead of boasting about poor Evil Within sales you might want to see what it is about first person horror games that make them so appealing for your wallet.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yup, considering how fast they are outputting RE games.
7 probably paved the way with RE2 strengthening their beliefs as RE3 is already a thing I believe, RE4 has been remade/releases/re-released so many times already.
But hey if this route keeps them floating and gives chance to other possibilities in the future then by all means do what pays the bills.
Seriously, the storyline has become so over the top and flat out dumb as shit so I'm fine with a remake of 3 before we get 8. Take your time Capcom, make something brilliant.

TGO

Third person horror games are not that old. Dead Space 3 and Silent Hill Downpour came out around the same generation as RE6 so if you grew up with a PS3 or 360 you had access to that plus other games.

The wave of third person horror games was very popular in the 90s and early 00s. The way you act about fps horror games now is the reverse of what was happening in that time. We were getting Manhunt, Suffering, Eternal Darkness, etc. We still had the big games like RE and Silent Hill, but there was no short supply of third person games.

And just cause you wave your hand at new third person games like The Last of Us (and it's upcoming sequel), Evil Within and Until Dawn doesn't mean they stop existing. I'm also seeing an add for Nightcry coming to Vita after releasing on PC. Hell if I know why they'd bother but it's there. The problem is you are seeing more fps horror games now and lumping them all together. As if RE7 is the same as Soma.

You also admit you buy more fps horror games in your current psn library. This is why they're in plentiful supply. The market dictates what you spend your money on. So instead of boasting about poor Evil Within sales you might want to see what it is about first person horror games that make them so appealing for your wallet.
Isn't it obvious, I like Horror games.
I play something like Evil Within and I need my fix so I look and try them out
And I've been suggested so many by people who say the same as you are now and I was willing to give them a chance.
And they are mediocre to ok at best.
Plus a lot have been on PS plus.
But honestly the best horror games currently available are
RE2
Resident Evil Origins Collection
Evil Within 2
Until Dawn
Evil Within
Resident Evil 7 in VR
The rest are meh
Like I said RE7 is a good game, but it's not a good RE.

Last edited:

PrCat88

Isn't it obvious, I like Horror games.
I play something like Evil Within and I need my fix so I look and try them out
And I've been suggested so many by people who say the same as you are now and I was willing to give them a chance.
And they are mediocre to ok at best.
Plus a lot have been on PS plus.
But honestly the best horror games currently available are
RE2
Resident Evil Origins Collection
Evil Within 2
Until Dawn
Evil Within
Resident Evil 7 in VR
The rest are meh

Then pick up The Last of Us and preorder its sequel. Stop contributing to the saturated market of fps games if it bothers you.

TGO

Then pick up The Last of Us and preorder its sequel. Stop contributing to the saturated market of fps games if it bothers you.
FPS games don't bother me, people keep saying there are loads of 3rd person horror this gen and then naming decade old games from last gen and beyond do.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Resident Evil is the best IP ever developed. So long as they make them quality, I want to fill out this world all that we can. I'm even in favor of going back and remaking some side games if we can get them at RE2 Remake quality, like the Outbreak games, or even just a Revolutions-style PC port of The Umbrella Chronicles. I even wish they'd fix mediocre things that got broken, like Operation Raccoon City just removing the GFWL.

I am honestly not expecting much from this game, because the last half a dozen games were basically born of hype, and I'm kind of tired of seeing the franchise going downhill. If they show something really convincingly good about it down the road and it looks great, they may just be going through another case of showing you something you think you'll like, and then it won't be what you expected in the long run.

I didn't like the Resident Evil 2 remake all that much. I also didn't think that 7: Biohazard really seemed like a sequel at all, and all the ones before that (minus the Revelations games) were bland, shooter-ish adventure games. The setting in 5 is especially bizarre. Fallen temples? Uh! Where's your fedora hat, Chris?

It's sad to say, but I have found myself wanting to tune-out over the last several years.

EDMIX

How about same team new IP? 7 games not enough?

nope. With their current situation, that would be a bad idea. I think the best they can do now is to focus on established IP until they can do better as a whole. They are correct to play it safe.

i'm not really sure why folks basically forget this publisher was open to being bout out a few years ago

Since then, they've needed Nintendo to publish and fund something, Sony to fund projects, MS to fund projects etc. They need to remain conservative for a bit and only focus on what they know moves units. So I'm 100% fine with them milking away, the content is of great quality and it takes great pressure off of the team. Maybe next gen after a few solid releases.

EDMIX

I am honestly not expecting much from this game, because the last half a dozen games were basically born of hype, and I'm kind of tired of seeing the franchise going downhill. If they show something really convincingly good about it down the road and it looks great, they may just be going through another case of showing you something you think you'll like, and then it won't be what you expected in the long run.

I didn't like the Resident Evil 2 remake all that much. I also didn't think that 7: Biohazard really seemed like a sequel at all, and all the ones before that (minus the Revelations games) were bland, shooter-ish adventure games. The setting in 5 is especially bizarre. Fallen temples? Uh! Where's your fedora hat, Chris?

It's sad to say, but I have found myself wanting to tune-out over the last several years.

"I didn't like the Resident Evil 2 remake all that much. I also didn't think that 7"

ok. I'd move on bud. If the remake to RE2 is not your thing and neither is RE7, I'm at a lost of what you are even seeking and maybe the series isn't for you any longer.

Nooooooo. RE7 was fresh and new, its what RE needed just as they did with RE4. Also its hard for me to believe any of this is true considering it says they arent sure if its a spin off or main line. AND wait for RE3 remake? So when do they plan to release it, 2021?

Resident Evil 7 WAS something fresh and new and interesting. It was a huge improvement over Resident Evil 6, which was ass. I wish they'd stick with the first-person.

I do like Resident Evil 2's remake, but not as much as I had hoped. I adored the game as a kid. It's a very solid remake, but I'm not as obsessed with it as some people were/are.

Resident Evil 7 was really good up until the ship part, and when the story became silly and far too familiar. I don't care about the whole bioweapon thing.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned

tenor.gif

Um, most of the series aren't just horror games, which is why older fans are rightfully not keen on the newer ones at all.

The series went action in 2005 (RE4).

That’s 14 years ago.

The series started in 1996. It has literally been an action/survival series for more years than it was a horror title.

I know how it is, though, I’m still bitter that Mario isn’t still jumping barrels for Donkey Kong (1981). Us old school bros just don’t like this newfangled “action” Mario where he’s shooting fireballs, riding Yoshi’s and wearing different clothes and stuff. It’s too hype. Too much letdown. Maybe they will get good again someday. 38 fucking years! I’ve been waiting for Mario to get back to his roots and drop this new direction. Us old school fans are like “jump the fucking barrell thrown by an ape” or it isn’t real Mario, We just don’t enjoy the new stuff.

It’s ok that you don’t like the newer games, but it’s been 14 years since it went more actiony. Time to put that one to rest. If fact, after RE6, the newer games have brought the horror back some and tuned the action down a bit (compared to 6).

I see people saying they wished the hookman version of RE4 came out instead of the final version. If they got that, they would have bitched and complained that it wasn't RE. And RE7 was a bit shit.

kunonabi

Resident Evil 7 WAS something fresh and new and interesting. It was a huge improvement over Resident Evil 6, which was ass. I wish they'd stick with the first-person.

I do like Resident Evil 2's remake, but not as much as I had hoped. I adored the game as a kid. It's a very solid remake, but I'm not as obsessed with it as some people were/are.

Resident Evil 7 was really good up until the ship part, and when the story became silly and far too familiar. I don't care about the whole bioweapon thing.

There was nothing fresh or new about RE7, it was just Capcom jumping on western trends again.

I wanna see it happen in a huge building in a city that isn’t infected. With more the atmosphere of 7. Have the building locked down like in Dredd.

I agree the island thing is done already. One could argue the building is too with some parts of 6. But 6 sucks.

Evilms

Banned
Although RE7 was very good but for me an resident evil must be a tps game, we are not in a doom or half life.

Lanrutcon

I'm firmly in the "RE4 is the pinnacle of RE" camp, so if they're trying another game in the similar style I won't complain. 7 was great (even better in VR, I'm told), but I prefer 4/5.

(before I get 10 people rushing to slam this post with "RE4 isn't REAL RE": I don't care, it's fucking fantastic and Capcom says you're wrong so take it up with them)

nkarafo

I would like another first person perspective take like 7.

Oh well. As long as they don't use boring environments like the salt mine in 7 and the sewers in 2 Remake i'll be fine.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I would like another first person perspective take like 7.

Oh well. As long as they don't use boring environments like the salt mine in 7 and the sewers in 2 Remake i'll be fine.

Nah

Im with the third person camp

RE2R > RE7

Im glad they return to third person for RE8

Bring it on

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I love just how much Capcom has changed the series over the years and for some reason I like almost every game for what it is. Playing Operation Raccon City at the moment for the first time and even that one I can appreciate for what it is.

If I'm honest I'd love Capcom just to take the series wherever they want it to next. Surprise me. If it's good, I'm in. Whether it's action or horror. As long as it's good I don't mind.

Though IIRC the latest rumors floating around where that RE3 Remake is next. After playing and loving Silent Hill Downpour the last couple of days I'd love Capcom to make something similar with RE3. Meaning, make the city more open and side quests and all. That'd be dope.

ethomaz

Banned
Sad.

I wanted more first-person RE and VR.

REmake made in first-person is my dream.

Last edited:

Shifty

At this point Capcom has fractured the identity of RE so much that pleasing every corner of the fanbase is totally impossible.

In for third-person RE2Make style.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
How fucking stupid if RE8 is third person, yes, let's make a step back...
How being third person is a step back exactly!!? There are a lot of people prefer RE be in third person.

I personally very glad if they go back to third person, I already sick of the amount of first person we are getting these days.
It was fresh for Resident Evil.

Also Western trends are good. Western games are better.
We saw how good Silent Hill and Dead Rising turned out. /s

How being third person is a step back exactly!!? There are a lot of people prefer RE be in third person.

I personally very glad if they go back to third person, I already sick of the amount of first person we are getting these days.

The Dead Risings were fun. Not great games, but good fun. 3 > 4 of course.

Silent Hill was just really buggy.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The Dead Risings were fun. Not great games, but good fun. 3 > 4 of course.

Silent Hill was just really buggy.
Later Dead Rising, especially 3 and 4 took out everything was unique and interesting about Dead Rising series just made it your typical open world with trash humour and as for Silent Hill, western developers completely miss the point what made SH series great.

I said this many times, games like Dead Rising, RE and SH might have western setting but they are very Japanese games, you can easily tell when western developers worked on the game.

Last edited:
I know some people like to say Capcom should retire the Resident Evil series but I disagree. Granted, some entries I agree shouldn't exist, like Umbrella Corps, Operation Raccoon City and the last two CGI films (Damnation and Vendetta) but otherwise I'm excited to see where the story goes next.

Some of these details remind me of the early version of Resident Evil 4. I think a return to the third-person camera would be great. I prefer seeing the player character instead of the usual arms and allotted weapon that don't really interact with the game world. I also think hallucinations playing a big part could be really interesting.

Could we see Jill Valentine return to active duty? It's been a while.

Last edited:

Could you also elaborate on how the added fist person setting doesn't "play as well" for The Evil Within 2? The animations and aiming felt fine and I've tried it on console and PC. On par with GTAV and Red Dead Redemption 2 that also include options to play in first person.

I disagree. The Evil Within may not be everyone's cup of fresh brew, but it was like a mix between Resident Evil and Sient Hill. Maybe count The Last of Us as well. The story may have not made a great deal of sense to start with, but the game was a hugely enjoyable effort for old-school genre lovers, and I enjoyed the sequel very much so, because it was like the Silent Hill sequel we never got. Gameplay-wise, horror games are at their best in their current presentation. Even if the plot isn't as well received as it should be, they are making the games more enjoyable to play.

Unlike 15 years ago, you can do much more with your inventory. You can craft things. Run and shoot at the same time. Listen in on a radio. Use combat weapons. Every enemy has a certain weakness that you have to exploit. You have optional side missions. They're not mandatory. You feel like you're actually playing a guy who is equipped for a horror adventure. And I like the new style very much so. What I don't like though, is first person. I don't fully hate it, but I just prefer third person. That way, you can see enemies coming at you from the side. But at least they added in an option for first person fans in The Evil Within 2, which I am not going to complain about. Will you ever see Capcom doing anything like that? It has to be one thing with them, or nothing at all.

However, do you remember how in Code: Veronica, there was a battle mode with an option for first person? I'm not talking about the awful Gun Survivor shooter series either, but yeah. There was obviously those too.

The Evil Within 2 was really good, especially the town segments.

The first one...ehhh...

It was really poorly balanced and cheap at launch. I didn't like it. Went back to it later, but never did finish it after getting to the church or monastery out in the woods.

EDMIX

I could care less first or 3rd person. I've never played a RE because of its perspective, its just not a game that really focuses on that so much that it would make me buy or not buy etc.

I just care if I have limited ammo, health, weapons, puzzles and limited saves on a hard mode option. Thats it. They give that to me, they can make it isometric for all I care lol

The Evil Within 2 was really good, especially the town segments.

The first one...ehhh...

It was really poorly balanced and cheap at launch. I didn't like it. Went back to it later, but never did finish it after getting to the church or monastery out in the woods.

Have you heard of Them And Us? I haven't played it, but it looks like a game made prior to 2004.

Top Bottom