• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[rumour] AMD R9 390X, Nvidia GTX 980 Ti and Titan X Benchmarks Leaked

Denton

My only wish is that it costs under 600 and comes out before Witcher 3. Come on AMD.

Getting twice the performance of my current 280X would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Hasney

I was going to pull the trigger on a 980 in a couple of months, but now I must play the waiting game... Again

Tagyhag

I hope this is all true, I will never go back to AMD due to huge problems I had with their drivers, but Nvidia needs serious competition so they'll stop charging whatever the fuck they want for their cards.

If anything, the Titan X will come out soon-ish at ~$1000, then in several months when the 390X comes out, a cut-down 6GB " GTX 1080" will come out and that will be reasonably priced in comparison.

Yes, I think that's what the GM 200 cut 6GB in the graph will be, assuming if true.

Nvidia did the same 2 years ago. Titan launched in Feb/March, 780 launched in May ,then 780Ti came out in the fall.

belmonkey

Isn't VRAM not all that expensive to add on to GPUs? I think the 8GB R9 290X is less than $100 more for 4GB more over the base model. I guess maybe there could be some justification for a high price tag on the Titan X because it will have the most VRAM on a single GPU.

DieH@rd

Banned
Will all R9 300 cards come with HBM memory?

At first it was believed that only 390 and 390X will come earlier in the year with every other R300 card being rebrand of earlier series, but then delays happened and rumors came that R300 will only have new chips.

We shall see if mid range will have HBM. Lowend will probably stick to GDDR5.

Momentary

Banned
Why do people consistently keep posting shit from WCCFTECH? They are the laughing stock of tech news. It blows my mind that this website is still allowed to be used as a news source on NeoGAF.

LordOfChaos

What this means is nVidia is going to be forced to lower the price the Titan X below the 390X. People are expecting it to come in at $599. So much for a $1000 Titan X :)

99% sure this won't be the case. Two reasons, Titan is a semi-professional card without double precision performance cut out, so some pro users buy it as a less expensive workstation cards (while some gamers buy it as a ridiculously high end gaming card).

That alone will make them not cut the price much, because it would eat into sales of their very expensive, high margin professional card.

The second reason being, Nvidia is perfectly happy marching to the tune of their own pricing band, they've never been shy about trying to charge a premium over AMD cards of near or better performance.

tuxfool

Banned
I hope this is all true, I will never go back to AMD due to huge problems I had with their drivers, but Nvidia needs serious competition so they'll stop charging whatever the fuck they want for their cards.

Or maybe people pay attention to the driver situation and be willing to see that AMD has improved their drivers recently. In effect statements like this completely validate the pricing strategy Nvidia is using on their captive market.

joeblow

Why do people consistently keep posting shit from WCCFTECH? They are the laughing stock of tech news. It blows my mind that this website is still allowed to be used as a news source on NeoGAF.
They make that Chartz site appear to be noted scholars and gentlemen.

I think this was posted in the Titan X thread. I'd like to see something proper about the 390x.

I'm 90% sure it'll be my next card though. Disappointed with the 980 and I'm never going to be a buyer of Titans.

Catalyst 15.**? When did that happen?
They're available right now for Windows 10 Technical Preview users through Windows Update. Still buggy though.

I'm going to take these benchmarks with a grain of salt for now though. Rather wait for the real coverage to begin.

This is great for the simple fact it means a card like the 780 (5-10% slower then titan for cheaper) is likely to come to market much faster

Rizific

will probably be looking to upgrade for Witcher 3. Once again my money will go to the best mid range price/performance card and so far my last two cards have been amd. Really want to try out something from nvidia this time around.

Kabuto

I was going to pull the trigger on a 980 in a couple of months, but now I must play the waiting game... Again

I'm in the same boat. I'm planning on building a new rig around May and by then, the 980 would have been on the market for 8 months already. I hope they release the 980 Ti by then :'(

Genio88

If those benchmarks are true i guess i'll change my r9 290 with a r9 390X, even if i was planning to upgrade only for newer 20nm card

Demon Ice

Banned
What exactly is the graph measuring? How have they aggregated the performance across 19 games? Why is the X-axis not labeled?

viveks86

After looking at the source, it seems these benchmarks are extremely suspect. Here's proof:

Wccftech selectively included just one benchmark (below):
gXG73vW.jpg

But the source actually has one more benchmark:

094842ofvl4gvj64606l64.jpg

Notice how the resolution is higher but somehow the framerate is higher too? Also the Titan X clock is 4 lower than the one above, which make even less sense. Yeah. Might want to take these with a grain of salt. These could very well be simulation done based on assumptions/speculations if not downright doctored.

EDIT:

Guess I was wrong. The numbers are based on relative performance to 290X.

alf717

I'm pretty impressed. Been a while since I've been wowed by AMD numbers. Now they need to get this kind of performance going in their CPU market.

Soi-Fong

Would the 390x be a worthwhile upgrade from my 780 Ti? Then again, I want to SLI or crossfire for the upcoming VR revolution and leaning towards Nvidia for that.

My 780 Ti is still doing well though running VR games on my Oculus DK2 and other games as well.

GPU manufacturers been increasing compute power and amount of ram but not the bandwidth.
AMD finds a way to increase bandwidth. FINALLY.
Easy win for them.

Avtomat

All about the power consumption for me got a mini itx box with a 500W PSU my overclocked 780 is OK but not much more

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Maybe unrelated, but am I wrong if I'm expecting the next nvidia series to hit in the same period as the current one?
Basically, GTX1070/1080 in September/October 2015.

Was there any statement?

It's impressive that possibly the 4gb Fiji card bests the 12gb Titan X.

But I think its important that AMD gets an 8gb 390X out there asap to really put the heat on Nvidia. Even though an 8gb version of the 390X will only likely yield a 5-10% improvement over a 4gb version, it's important for marketing purposes so that Nvidia can't pull the wool over the eyes of the uninformed consumer who sees 12gb memory as superior to something lower from AMD.

Devildoll

how reliable is chiphell anyway?

Same as with any unofficial per-release info, don't make any decisions until reviewers have retail product in their hands, and the reviews are written.

Also how the fuck would they have a cut down Titan to benchmark?

To have something to sell in the price range in between the Titan X and the GTX 980.

GPU manufacturers been increasing compute power and amount of ram but not the bandwidth.
AMD finds a way to increase bandwidth. FINALLY.
Easy win for them.

Has memory bandwidth really been an issue? Just like AMD and Nvidia release their graphics cards with appropriate amount of memory in relation to their horsepower, i feel like bandwidth has been no different.

Top Bottom