• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[rumour] AMD R9 390X, Nvidia GTX 980 Ti and Titan X Benchmarks Leaked

Devildoll

It's impressive that possibly the 4gb Fiji card bests the 12gb Titan X.

But I think its important that AMD gets an 8gb 390X out there asap to really put the heat on Nvidia. Even though an 8gb version of the 390X will only likely yield a 5-10% improvement over a 4gb version, it's important for marketing purposes so that Nvidia can't pull the wool over the uninformed consumer who sees 12gb memory as superior to something lower from AMD.

Memory amount does not actually impact performance, unless you are testing a scenario where 4 GB would be too little, then you'd just get a slideshow, regardless of how powerful the card is.

Has memory bandwidth really been an issue? Just like AMD and Nvidia release their graphics cards with appropriate amount of memory in relation to their horsepower, i feel like bandwidth has been no different.

I'm not sure about games. I think game engines are designed with the bandwidth limit in mind. But when it comes to compute stuff, memory management is a big issue, and bandwidth is always limiting.

El_Chino

Maybe unrelated, but am I wrong if I'm expecting the next nvidia series to hit in the same period as the current one?
Basically, GTX1070/1080 in September/October 2015.

Was there any statement?
I thought 2016 was the next time I we'd see some new Nvidia GPUs?

Same drivers that took away overclocking and STILL have not been fixed?

You can keep them!

Are you referencing the removal of GPU overclocking from laptops? If so, what does that have to do with the quality of single GPU drivers in the desktop sphere?

Khrno

Hope they price it accordingly (much more cheaper than Titan X and just a little bit higher than the 980), I'm not going to purchase it, but to stir up the marketplace and create good competition, thus forcing Nvidia to step up their game and lower their prices.

I'm staying with Nvidia however, got a 970 and will get a second one rather sooner than later, due to their superior support and drivers.

Maybe unrelated, but am I wrong if I'm expecting the next nvidia series to hit in the same period as the current one?
Basically, GTX1070/1080 in September/October 2015.

Was there any statement?

Of course there wasn't any statement, lol

A 1080 might arrive months after the Titan, like last time.

I thought 2016 was the next time I we'd see some new Nvidia GPUs?

New architecture, yes. But refreshes and Big Maxwell will happen this year.

Daedardus

Haven't AMD drivers been pretty damn good the last year or so?

Better, but they still suck on OpenGL front, which is critical for things like Dolphin Emulator.

I'll wait for confirmation on powet consumption and noise levels, things AMD had trouble with in recent times.

Culex

Banned
Are you referencing the removal of GPU overclocking from laptops? If so, what does that have to do with the quality of single GPU drivers in the desktop sphere?

I'm just pointing out how terribad the driver argument is. I want to scream every time I see "bad AMD drivers".

This 2004 is a long time ago.

They're available right now for Windows 10 Technical Preview users through Windows Update. Still buggy though.

Ah, makes sense. Omega actually did wonders with performance of newer games so I hope they don't break anything with v15 again.

It depends, haven't they not released drivers for quite some time now? Including important drivers for games like FC4?

They did, their driver updates for new games are usually a day or two behind Nvidia if not on same day. Crossfire support is whole another story however.

Randam

It depends, haven't they not released drivers for quite some time now? Including important drivers for games like FC4?

when there weren't any released, hoq could they have been bad?

and here:

VMvNX2Y.png

looking forward to the 390.

I'm just pointing out how terribad the driver argument is. I want to scream every time I see "bad AMD drivers".

This 2004 is a long time ago.

They arent necessarily horrible (unless you are talking about Open GL gaming), but there are certain key editable features in Nvidia drivers which make my life much more enjoyable. (SGSSAA, HBAO, Adaptive Sync).
They did, their driver updates for new games are usually a day or two behind Nvidia if not on same day. Crossfire support is whole another story however.

Well as a multi-GPU user, I consider that a bid deal. How does editing profiles and compatibility bits work in CFX? Is that possible?

Bizzquik

Pardon my naïvety, but does "4GB/8GB Stacked HBM" equal 8gigs Vram...?
At the rumored price of $549, but I would be seriously interested if it does.

(I want to get back into heavily-modded Skyrim, but the game chews through my 4gigs Vram with ENBoost, and the game unfortunately does not handle crossfire / SLI well.)

Memory amount does not actually impact performance, unless you are testing a scenario where 4 GB would be too little, then you'd just get a slideshow, regardless of how powerful the card is.

For most current applications, and especially gaming, it doesn't make much of a difference, but there are scenarios obviously where 8gb will be an improvement over 4.

But point is, the average consumer may not know this and even if they do, 12gb is likely to be subconciously more alluring.

pestul

(I want to get back into heavily-modded Skyrim, but the game chews through my 4gigs Vram with ENBoost, and the game unfortunately does not handle crossfire / SLI well.)
Probably just 4 or 8 GB configurations.

The 4GB/8GB stacked is just a placeholder because theres some rumors of an 8GB variant as well.

Älg

edit: multiple sources are telling me that nVidia doesn't give a fuck and will probably price the Titan X at over $1000 anyways. I know my next card will be an AMD with HBM memory. nVidia can stick their ludicrous premiums where the sun don't shine ;)

This just in: people still don't understand what Titans are for.

I guess you can't really blame people for it considering the marketing. It's brilliant by Nvidia, really.

Also, how the hell does that chart even work? They tested 19 games but only did one graph? Is it an average? What's the unit? FPS? In what kind of games does a 980 average 110 FPS att 2560*1600? This whole thing is a mess, and people should probably take it with a grain of salt.

8.2TFlOPS is a nice marketing point to counter smaller memory amounts compared to Nvidia. And then some.

Gluka

I really wish there were more information about the mid-range cards. I'm tempted to buy a 970, but it seems like a bad idea since AMD is so close to announcing their R9 3XX cards. I'm hoping the current leaks aren't true for the lower-end cards, because I can't see buying a new AMD GPU when they come out only for HBM and new fab process to trump it in the near future.

They're not too bad on Windows. Linux, on the other hand, is still a horrible nightmare from what I can tell. I used it on my desktop for about a year or so and simple games like TF2 would have several seconds of input delay, random graphical glitches, around 1/3rd of Windows perf, etc. I still run Linux on my e450-based laptop, which released all the way back in 2011, yet it still has a plethora of day one issues such as not being able to adjust backlight brightness and power management problems. I know it's probably not the case for a lot of people, but if you have any interest in Linux at all it's best to avoid AMD in my opinion.

No Love

Banned
AMD going back to the glory days of the Radeon 4870/5870/6970. I guess I'll be doing Crossfire 390X's if this kind of performance holds true for the majority of titles.

Well as a multi-GPU user, I consider that a bid deal. How does editing profiles and compatibility bits work in CFX? Is that possible?

I wouldn't know, because I wouldn't dare use more than one high end AMD card in my system. I would describe a guy with 2x 290x as someone who likes to live on the edge lol.

SRG01

OMG this news just makes my decision on a video card that much harder. My renderer uses nVidia IRAY which can't use OpenCL, but these benchmarks make me feel like I'm just throwing away money if I bought an nVidia card...

therapist

Good on AMD , just means competitive pricing yay. (Or not since nvidia is still gonna charge a lot for their cards...smh)

If AMD had something like their own version of shadowplay (Do they??) i would jump over to amd for my next card

last amd card i had was a...4870 i think , its been quite a while!

Ok, I am not saying this is not true. But I will not jump on any hype trains till I see other sources that I follow coming to the same conclusions.

If this is true though, a price war between AMD/NVIDIA is just what is needed for an amazing entry into the PC gaming hobby for new enthusiasts coming to the fold.

R1CHO

8.2 Tflops... all the flops, how many gamecubes?

Let's hope we don't have to wait a lot for the official presentation.

wazoo

Good on AMD , just means competitive pricing yay. (Or not since nvidia is still gonna charge a lot for their cards...smh)

If AMD had something like their own version of shadowplay (Do they??) i would jump over to amd for my next card

They have it. Called AMD Gaming Evolved software.

Kronik

Banned
nvidia drivers still prevail

People seem to forget that coming DX12 and Vulkan, drivers will be almost nonexistent.

Times when Nvidia could force replace half of the badly written game from drivers, or use GameWorks to hide game code from AMD is coming to and end.

It's on the game now, and only on the game.

Randam

Älg;156043330 said:
This just in: people still don't understand what Titans are for.

I guess you can't really blame people for it considering the marketing. It's brilliant by Nvidia, really.

Also, how the hell does that chart even work? They tested 19 games but only did one graph? Is it an average? What's the unit? FPS? In what kind of games does a 980 average 110 FPS att 2560*1600? This whole thing is a mess, and people should probably take it with a grain of salt.

avarage of 19 games i would guess.

and it isn't fps.
thenumbers reflect performance in relation to the R9 290X in %.

Kezen

Banned
People seem to forget that coming DX12 and Vulkan, drivers will be almost nonexistent.

Times when Nvidia could force replace half of the badly written game from drivers, or use GameWorks to hide game code from AMD is coming to and end.

Don't forget about the engine / developper as well. DX12 is a real test of skill compared to DX11.

Hopefully, this will bring more interesting chips for the mid-range sector as well. It's been what... 3 years and the 7850/7870 are still can't be beat.

What about driver issues though?

When I built my pc I used a ati card and it had a fault that it couldn't run 3d games. I have no idea why but it just shut down on games like borderlands.

Ended up getting the same level of power in a visual and it ran crysis and borderlands at max with no problems.

Would be weary to go back to amd for the graphics cards but their prices are always so tempting

LOL. I literally hear this every year, like it's a new thing.

I'm sorry. What? Drivers are always pertinent (for PC gaming).

Top Bottom