• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR - New Nintendo Trademark Possibly for Gameboy Classic Mini? (ANN via Livedoor)

redcrayon

but ultimately.... that's what it is going to be lol

as per the 3DS SNES themed unit , it can be done.

if they make a honest to god Gameboy Lite style machine i'd applaud it but the irony will be that the yellowy-white and black LCD will be a full color display, so why not look at other angles?
I think the screen is one thing, four buttons are another as they change the recognisable nature of what a GB looks like. If people wanted to just play GB games, there's a range of them on the 3DS VC already, the point of the product would be tapping into people's memories of the original product. The screen is something they can't avoid changing.

I mean, if the NES classic had shipped with SNES controllers and a mix of games for both, it would also have had a lot more function but lost a lot of the retro appeal (plus the ability to sell another product the following year!).

dickroach

Guys, let's try and guess how long the battery life for a device that only has to play GB games will be. Do we know if it'll have updated versions with online play or anything like that (akin to the rereleased Pokemon games on VC) or even have wifi?

oh no. you can only play it plugged into the wall via an AC adapter

Gameboy Color or don't bother. I really don't think there are enough quality regular Gameboy games for this.

Gameboy Color and then GBA, now that I can see and would buy in an instant. I can see Gameboy color being huge because of nostalgia. And If they put out multiple colors I could seriously see that becoming a thing people carry around with them and play again almost like the 90s again.

spad3

OG Gameboy only worth for pokemon. Absolutely nothing else was enticing to me whatsoever on that handheld.

GBA on the other hand...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Gameboy Color or don't bother. I really don't think there are enough quality regular Gameboy games for this.

Gameboy Color and then GBA, now that I can see and would buy in an instant. I can see Gameboy color being huge because of nostalgia. And If they put out multiple colors I could seriously see that becoming a thing people carry around with them and play again almost like the 90s again.

an even thinner GBA Micro with FC stylings would be super hot.

Freddo

Nice!

I rather see a Game Boy Mini than a N64 Mini so I welcome this rumor. I just hope it will include Final Fantasy Legend III and Gargoyle's Quest. Solar Striker would be nice too, I haven't played it in decades but songs from that game still pop up in my head now and then and I start to hum them.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
zelda
pokemon
wario
mario
tetris

i am lost
at least give us gbc too that is an easy 50+ fill baby

Zalman

I think it'd be pretty sweet to have a dedicated system the shape and size of the Game Boy Pocket that's pre-loaded with 30-40 of the best GB/GBC games that you can play either in B&W, Color, or with that really "green" sort of color of the very original Gameboy.

With something like this, it's just as much about the "experience" as it is the "convenience" so I'm not thinking they'll release some tiny thing like the GBA Micro. Replicating the feel of a GB is important, just like with the NES and SNES controllers that come with those systems. The smallest they should go is something the size of an iPhone 4.
Agreed with most of this. I think GBC size is the sweet spot. The "Mini" aspect won't be a selling point this time, but rather the authentic experience.

muteki

As much as I'd really like to see a N64 mini, I don't want the GB skipped over for it.

The OG form factor in GBC/GBP size, backlit display and rechargeable batteries would be a treat.

Elginer

It better have Gargoyle's Quest.

tenor.gif

an even thinner GBA Micro with FC stylings would be super hot.

Oh yes it would be. But the point of these classic series systems is to have the nostalgia of the original chassis. I think they'll go for the original Gameboy advance or MAYBE the SP. Micro is like zero chance.

kaiwing

There's gonna be two models. Why? Easy. One for Pokemon Red and one for Blue. If you want to catch em all, you need to buy both models. And lo, let the unlockable game be Pokemon yellow after beating red/blue.Probably 21 games like before. Two sku for double profits and collectability.

JimPanzer

I would buy an Advance mini in a heartbeat, not interested in a classic gameboy although it was my first ever gaming console

Pilgrimzero

Want.

I had such grand times with my OG Gameboy.

I forsee:

Mario Land 1-2
Final Fantasy Legend 1-2
Final Fantasy Adventure
Tetris
Dr. Mario
Pokémon
Zelda
Kirby
Metroid
Icarus

Enthus

Part of me wants this, the other part thinks that I'm never going to get Switch VC with Nintendo making these classic consoles.

Hustler

Not for me. Like others have said GBA would be great, I’ve never owned a Nintendo handheld.
Does the Switch count....?

Astral Dog

How many Gameboy games are actually worth revisiting?

Tetris
Mario Land
Mario Land 2
Link's Awakening (which had better be the DX version)
Pokemon
Metroid II (despite the remake being infinitely more enjoyable to play)

i'm drawing a blank.

They get a few more titles with the Game Boy Color, but even then... eh.
Zelda Oracle of Ages and Seasons.
Mario Deluxe.
Wario Land 3.
Kirby 2.

MTC100

Banned
How many Gameboy games are actually worth revisiting?

Tetris
Mario Land
Mario Land 2
Link's Awakening (which had better be the DX version)
Pokemon
Metroid II (despite the remake being infinitely more enjoyable to play)

i'm drawing a blank.

They get a few more titles with the Game Boy Color, but even then... eh.

Kid Icarus was pretty good on the GB and it also was different from the NES Parts.

There are also 5 or 6 Megaman that also had different stages and bosses from their NES Counterparts.

There's also a Turrican GB Game.

I think Mario's Picross was a GB Game too?

Solar Striker was the one and only Shmup made by Nintendo.

Kirby's Dreamland was the very first game of the Series.

Wario Land.

Top Bottom