• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR - New Nintendo Trademark Possibly for Gameboy Classic Mini? (ANN via Livedoor)

samred

Another trademark filing needs to happen for the GB Classic's actual product name, so this is pretty zzz for now.

How many Gameboy games are actually worth revisiting?

Tetris
Mario Land
Mario Land 2
Link's Awakening (which had better be the DX version)
Pokemon
Metroid II (despite the remake being infinitely more enjoyable to play)

i'm drawing a blank.

They get a few more titles with the Game Boy Color, but even then... eh.
Wario Land 2! Damn it's like one of the best.

Rellik

Another trademark filing needs to happen for the GB Classic's actual product name, so this is pretty zzz for now.

Do they need to when they already own Game Boy? I'd imagine that stops anyone else from using Game Boy Classic.

Zalman

Donkey Kong '94
Dragon Warrior III
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Dream Land 2
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Mega Man V
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Pokémon Yellow
Pokémon Crystal
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
Mario's Picross
Tetris
Wario Land
Wario Land 2
Wario Land 3

Yikes, didn't know the Game Boy had a... less then stellar reputation around here. A shame, considering there's some mighty fine gems on it. Let's take a look:

-Donkey Kong '94: A goddamn masterpiece I tells ya! Classic Game Room did a great ep. on it a few years ago and rightfully highlights the awesome music in the game.
-Final Fantasy Adventure + FF Legend: otherwise known as the beginning of both Secret of Mana and SAGA.
-Tetris: OG Gameboy Tetris is still one of, if not the, best in the series.
-Kirby's Dreamland + Pinball + Blockball: Hell, throw every HAL game on there starting with Revenge of the Gator. HAL 'got' the GB in a way other developers could only dream of.
-Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow: Self-explanatory.
-Gargoyle's Quest
-Super Mario Land 1+2
-Wario Land
-X
-Metroid 2
-Kid Icarus
-Balloon Kid
-Mole Mania

The biggest issue with the GB is the fact only Nintendo bothered to release quality software on it on a consistent basis. That means that any release of a Game Boy Mini would feature a very first party heavy line-up. My guess is that Nintendo will probably choose to do a Game Boy/Game Boy Color release that features software from both platforms so as to increase the amount of third party content that isn't absolute dogshit or locked behind licenses like Sunsofts Batman games.

Also, like hell they'll throw away money by including the GBA in there. If we take 21 titles as the minimum of games to be included on a potential GBA Mini then they can get there VERY easily. Mind, this list doesn't even include ports like FF or Super Mario World:
-Mario Kart Super Circuit
-Advance Wars
-Fire Emblem
-Metroid Fusion
-Mega Man Zero
-Castlevania Aria of Sorrow
-Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
-Wario Ware
-Wario Land 4
-Final Fantasy Tactics
-Tekken Advance
-Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories
-Mother 3(Hehehe)
-Rhythm Tengoku
-Crazy Racers
-Kuru Kuru Kururin
-Ninja Cop
-Sonic Advance
-Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland
-Golden Sun + The Lost Age
-Pokemon Emerald
-Bomberman Tournament
-Pokemon Fire Red/ Leaf Green

redcrayon

The biggest issue with the GB is the fact only Nintendo bothered to release quality software on it on a consistent basis. That means that any release of a Game Boy Mini would feature a very first party heavy line-up
I always felt Capcom were reliable for platformers.
Gargoyles Quest
Mega Man III/IV/V
Duck Tales/DT2
Darkwing Duck
Bionic Commando.

I distinctly remember picking up one or two of their games a year at the time, I even imported the later MM games from the US as they didn't release here and Capcom was the only other publisher I trusted on GB at the time (stop laughing at the back).

Even Konami had Gradius and Probotector even if the Castlevania games were hit and miss (technically miss-hit-miss :D).

Agree on your GBA list, it's a really solid portable. Both were drenched in shovelware but with such huge libraries it's not hard to put together a list of 20 good games.

WarRock

Just did a thread search and only found 1 post asking for Mario Tennis, smh GAF. Mario Tennis and Pokemon Pinball are the GOATs.

Pilgrimzero

Kids wouldn’t appreciate a GB Classic.

giphy.gif

I’m triggered by that gif

ash_ag

The extra game of the system will be "Pokémon Green Version" with the following features:
1. Bulbasaur in the intro
2. Sprites from Aka / Midori instead of Ao / Red / Blue
3. Unknown Dungeon from Aka / Midori instead of Ao / Red / Blue
4. Pokémon availability from Ao

An in-console mechanism for trade will be added, and Crystal will be slightly modified so that all Pokémon will be obtainable between it and Green. Specifically, the modification will be the revival of Pokémon Communication Center, with certain otherwise unobtainable Pokémon (like Vulpix and Mareep lines) being available as in-game events there.

Don't :(
Quote me on this.

ASaiyan

Banned
Well well. I didn't think this would actually happen. This might just be a simple trademark filing, but if it's not I will gladly admit I was wrong and buy one, lol.

OG Game Boy Look with GB/GBC/GBA games? obamawipessweat.jpg You could probably easily thin it out because you won't need the battery compartment and probably won't have a cartridge slot.

Now watch them get super greedy and make:
Game Boy Classic
Game Boy Color Classic
Game Boy Advance Classic
Game Boy Advance SP Classic
Game Boy Micro Classic

They should make something like this

142927-miniclassics-thumb-640xauto-7475.jpg

A little bigger, just a little.
And of course a backlit screen.

Who gives a shit for playability when we're talking nostalgia, And I'm pretty sure you could put a shitload of good game in it.
If they do it, i Can feel $omething way beyond NES and SNES mini

I wonder if this is why they previously released Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow on 3DS Virtual Console, but more recently left Crystal out when they released Silver and Gold...

Two versions

Big T H I C C game boy classic and smaller game boy color
Both will have back light x the colors for when you put a game boy game inside a GBC

It'll be $100 and have 4 Pokemon games , blue/red, yellow, gold/silver, crystal
Along with DKC land 2, Mario land 1,2,Deluxe, wario land, golf, tennis, etc

Lynd7

It should be the size of the GB Pocket, but with the design and colours of the original.

Got me thinking though, it would have to include a way to connect to another one for multiplayer and trading for Pokemon. Would they include some sort of wireless in it? Or bundle a cable with it?

Hydrus

PKM Yellow
PKM Crystal
Zelda - Seasons
Zelda - Ages
Zelda - Link's Awakening DX
Dragon Warrior Monsters
Monster Rancher explorer

This is all I need. Give to me now Nintendo.

So I guess mini consoles is officially the new way to sell old games. RIP Vc for Switch.

If Nintendo wants to keep them separate from Switch, cut all this teasing and release a special "virtual console" that has online capabilities and plays a wealth of their legacy software. Put 4 classic controller ports on it and sell that thing from here to eternity. If you want to appeal to fans that love a specific hardware, release special versions that have that specific shell.

Ehhhhhhhhhh

Should just skip to GBA

They'll get there.

Assuming GB/GBC games they have enough games to do both.

Gameboy:

Tetris
Dr Mario
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario Land 3
Zelda Links Awakening DX
Zelda Oracle of Ages
Zelda Oracle of Seasons
Kirbys Dream Land
Kirbys Dream Land 2
Mole Mania
Golf
Metroid 2
Pokemon Red
Pokemon Blue
Final Fantasy adventure
Final Fantasy Legend II
Final fantasy Legend III
Donkey Kong

bosh

Kirby 1 and 2
Donkey Kong '94
Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Wario Land 1-3
Kid Icarus 2
Mega Man V
Metal Gear Ghost Babel

I thought I had played them all, never knew about Ghost Babel.

On a side note we should a few Nintendo generations and go straight to the Wii U mini ;)

Fou-Lu

They should just make it cover GB and GBC, then it might have enough good games. I really just want the GBA classic though.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Anyone doing lists and not listing Mole Mania and/or DK'94 might as well attach a big image saying AIN'T SHIT to their post.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It would be interesting to see if include the Pokémon games and whether they retain their trade/battle functionality and if the Pokémon can be transferred into the current Pokémon games.

Kids wouldn’t appreciate a GB Classic.

giphy.gif

The people on that show are actors.

I wonder if this is why they previously released Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow on 3DS Virtual Console, but more recently left Crystal out when they released Silver and Gold...

Actually there are evidence supporting that Pokémon Crystal is coming onto the virtual console just sometime later.

Reorx

Maybe this is a Gameboy Classic Mini for Color games aswell? Wouldn't make much sense to release another Gameboy Color Classic Mini...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It would be interesting to see if include the Pokémon games and whether they retain their trade/battle functionality and if the Pokémon can be transferred into the current Pokémon games.

The people on that show are actors.

Its all real

TLZ

Banned
But the screen's already tiny as it is. Unless they keep that screen size and make the body thinner?

Top Bottom