• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV Re-Elected & Gat Out of Hell |OT| Here's Johnny's Second Term

I take it the verdict for Gat isn't good.

Which is a shame because I was looking forward to it.

Not to mention I paid $90 +$6 express shipping to have EB Games misjudge stock and only send it out at the end of the day... now I have to wait until at the earliest Tuesday since Monday is Australia Day, a public holiday. Meanwhile it's sitting on the PSN for $65...

dhlt25

Hellblazing is incredibly easy once you have the time limit extensions and all the flight upgrades. Like you can beat them all with 30+ seconds to spare no problem.

been playing a bit more and yeah it does became super easy after I got the upgrades. One more question, I've finished all the quest now but the game doesn't move forward anymore, does it expect me to do more random minigames?

Edit: nvm, that's what you have to do. What a lame way of extending the playtime

Omega

Banned
So its a no buy then?

If you weren't able to get it for $5 then no.

I love Saints Row and I even enjoyed the DLC but it's ridiculously short with practically no real missions. I'm not even exaggerating, I think there's 3. Everything else you do are activities/clusters. The activities aren't even fun either. They're all ridiculously easy and practically impossible to not get gold on your first try.

I have fun just going around killing enemies with my powers but there's not much to the game. If I had paid $20 for this I would never play a Saints Row game again.

Montresor

Just about to start SR4 and I see that Gat Out Of Hell already has 4 expired challenges. :lol :lol

Challenges are so awful. I couldn't imagine the state of my blood pressure if I cared about them. They offer almost no benefit to the consumer.

The major benefit for challenges are two-fold, and primarily for the publisher (not for the consumer): encouraging early adoption, and discouraging trade-ins. Encouraging early adoption is not too scummy IMO - early adopters can get a badge of honour of sorts by getting those early adopter challenges during the first month or whatever of release. But the way some developers leverage challenges to discourage trade-ins is extremely aggravating. They use staggered challenge schedules across almost an entire year, with one challenge available during one specific two-week period, and then another new challenge only available two weeks after that, etc... So awful. If you cared about challenges and needed them as a completionist, then you'd be a hostage to the publisher for the whole year.

Anyway, I'm not sure what these developers were thinking having early adopter challenges expire so early for Gat Out Of Hell. You just released Saints Row 4 Re-mastered and Gat Out Of Hell. Who is going to play Gat Out Of Hell first if they bought the SR4 + Gat Out Of Hell bundle? You can guarantee that even if you have tons of early adopters, almost none of them will earn these dumb challenges since they will want to play SR4 first.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

So its a no buy then?

I got it for $5 and that is the right price for it.

If you've got a capable PC, it'll be a good Steam sale purchase at 75% off.

The best part - like the latter Saints Row games tend - is the cutscenes. The bummer part is that there are not many cutscenes. Those that ARE there are great! Theres some hilarious stuff here! But not $20 hilarious.

It was good to listen to a podcast while I flew around collecting orbs because the flight controls do feel great, but in terms of fun gameplay experiences it is lacking overall.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just about to start SR4 and I see that Gat Out Of Hell already has 4 expired challenges. :lol :lol

Challenges are so awful. I couldn't imagine the state of my blood pressure if I cared about them. They offer almost no benefit to the consumer.

The major benefit for challenges are two-fold, and primarily for the publisher (not for the consumer): encouraging early adoption, and discouraging trade-ins. Encouraging early adoption is not too scummy IMO - early adopters can get a badge of honour of sorts by getting those early adopter challenges during the first month or whatever of release. But the way some developers leverage challenges to discourage trade-ins is extremely aggravating. They use staggered challenge schedules across almost an entire year, with one challenge available during one specific two-week period, and then another new challenge only available two weeks after that, etc... So awful. If you cared about challenges and needed them as a completionist, then you'd be a hostage to the publisher for the whole year.

Anyway, I'm not sure what these developers were thinking having early adopter challenges expire so early for Gat Out Of Hell. You just released Saints Row 4 Re-mastered and Gat Out Of Hell. Who is going to play Gat Out Of Hell first if they bought the SR4 + Gat Out Of Hell bundle? You can guarantee that even if you have tons of early adopters, almost none of them will earn these dumb challenges since they will want to play SR4 first.

Expired challenges in Gat Out of Hell? Huh?

How long is the story to Saints Row 4? (just doing story quests, not including Gat out of Hell)

Looking to beat it this week so I can trade it back into Best Buy for their 30% extra credit.

How long is the story to Saints Row 4? (just doing story quests, not including Gat out of Hell)

Looking to beat it this week so I can trade it back into Best Buy for their 30% extra credit.

It's not super long. Maybe 15 hours? I like to do side quests, and ended up completing all of them. Just not the challenges (some of them are fucking insane. Same with SR3. Waste of time)

The DLC will give you a couple of extra hours' worth of gameplay, though.

Ceebs

If you like the gameplay of SR4 then you will probably have a good time.

No it is not as good, but just because it is a barebones product does mean it does not still play very well.

Also I have issues:

untitled27i1u.png

Edit:Just finished the game with 8 hours played, 100% map control and all orbs. Only thing I did not do was the audiolog things and the busywork challenges.

nikos

EDIT: Ended up buying the game. Haven't played Saints Row since the first. I understand it's completely different now.

Gat Out of Hell really was disappointing. The lack of content is even made fun of in the game. I'm glad I got it for $5 or I would have felt ripped off. I can't believe they're selling this shit for $20. It's got like 4 hours of content in it and like 20 minutes of story. Everything else is killing waves of enemies, rehashes of old activities or picking up fucking collectibles.

Plus, Gat and Kinzie constantly complain about picking up the collectibles in the game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I loved Gat out of hell. To be fair though, it could have used more
musicals.

I feel like the
musical
aspect was played up really hard in pre-release coverage and it only has that one scene. I was really looking forward to more
musical
stuff because that was amazing.

so um...once again, I'm running into another bug in the game. This time the game keeps crashing any time I complete the Torment Fraud missions, it worked fine when I did it on hard, but when completing the medium and easy ones, it crashes after leaving the results screen.

goddamn it High Voltage.

nateeasy

Banned
Are the two original DLC packs any good? Trying to decide if I want to buy the complete package or just Gat out of Hell.

Are the two original DLC packs any good? Trying to decide if I want to buy the complete package or just Gat out of Hell.

They're nothing special, and are about an hour long. But there's some fun to be found, and the writing can be pretty witty.

I've got other games to play, but I've found myself going back and working on Re-Elected a lot, trying to beat it again with everything completed (outside of the crazy challenges). It's so fun.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Nothing reaches those same peaks as the main game, but I thought there was some great stuff in the Christmas one if you take the time to explore the map.

After all the issues I've seen that's been said about Gat, I was expecting something really terrible, but I'm enjoying it so far. I have experienced a few issues, like console freezing, getting stuck inside a cylinder building, but the flying and missions are really fun.

I feel the game doesn't respect its own build-up. The parts that are best disregard all of the things that are tried for moving the series forward. The highs are high enough to be glad that I have now seen the main campaign through. Giving it a longish break before doing the DLC, Gat out of Hell.

Gotta be frank, after knowing I didn't like this as much as 3, thinking the excellence of the missions didn't overcome the mostly terrible open world, and dropping it like a hot rock after beating it on PS3 because it was so ugly, I gotta say I'm enjoying the heck out of this right now.

The only real irritation being I apparently should have rented the Xbone version since Gat is a download code on PS4... my fault for not really caring enough to research it ;p

I beat Gat out of hell in one sitting, about four hours or so, and that was doing most of everything. I was pleasantly surprised, but due to the short length I'm happy I got it for five bucks.

The flying mechanic is ridiculously fun, especially fully upgrading it. Any activities involving flying were super fun too.

For its length the game is quite dense with the funny. I was laughing most of my time playing it. Also, the gallows gun is hilarious when fully upgraded.

I would not suggest paying twenty for it, but it's a damn good deal at five.

Alec

I really enjoyed Gat. I collected all of the orbs immediately (didn't even wait to hit level 15 for the collectible finder) and it made the game much better for me. Bring on SR5.

Having recently finished SR4 in the last couple of days, Gat Out Of Hell should be a fun continuation of the hilarity and awesoemness, I hope.

Been playing re-elected since Saturday and I forgot how funny it can be. I'm using the British(?) voice option and being addressed as Mr. President never gets old. So many forgotten lines.

"Hey, a robot!"
"Technically power armor."
"Don't start Keith."

Matt's loyalty mission with Nightblade had me pausing cause I was laughing so hard. Shit's poetry.

Didn't buy Gat since I had the feeling it'll be on ps+ sooner or later. Sounds like I made the right choice.

I'm surprised how well Gat Out of Hell handles the majority of the franchise's forgotten characters and loose ends, as well as most of the theoretical (spoiler?)
endings and places the franchise can go in the selectable endings.

The final mission is sort of a bummer if you've been playing as Kinzie the entire game, though.

DasRaven

How do I advance in GofH?
I just did
Shakespear
mission, can't find anymore mission markers :(

In general, just do stuff. Everything you do increases the Satan's Wrath meter.
Eventually, you'll cross all the milestone markers and view the cutscenes for each.

If you haven't already, go meet the other main NPCs
Blackbeard/Twins/Vlad
From there, work on powering up by finding clusters and making money doing activities.

besiktas1

In general, just do stuff. Everything you do increases the Satan's Wrath meter.
Eventually, you'll cross all the milestone markers and view the cutscenes for each.

If you haven't already, go meet the other main NPCs
Blackbeard/Twins/Vlad
From there, work on powering up by finding clusters and making money doing activities.
Cheers just saw the
musical
lol
That was great :)
What's the quickest way to increase the wrath?

DasRaven

Cheers just saw the
musical
lol
That was great :)
What's the quickest way to increase the wrath?

Nothing raises it that much faster or slower really. But performing the loyalty missions moves the needle the most.
There's much more to do than you'll need. I haven't done most of the loyalty missions and had full wrath meter hours ago just doing activities.

DasRaven

Finally finished and closed out the Platinum for Gat Out of Hell last night.
Game is great, just as SR4 was when I played it on PS3. Highly recommended.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Alright, Dubstep gun has made my ~~$60 purchase (with Canadian tax) completely worth it.

I recorded some "Wubstep Carnage". This made me crack up so much.

Track 3 is best track all time.

Also, is that audio delay in game as well? It sort of messes it up. The audio is supposed to be in sync with the shots!

Montresor

Track 3 is best track all time.

Also, is that audio delay in game as well? It sort of messes it up. The audio is supposed to be in sync with the shots!

Lately XB1 recorded videos have had absolutely awful sync between audio and video. It's disappointing. My old videos are just fine but this recent video I recorded from D4 has terrible lip syncing which does not occur in-game. It's a problem with the recording process only.

Montresor

My Feb 14th save file shows 4.5 hours played. My Feb 16th save file showed 21 hours played. Good god I became addicted to this game over the weekend. Back to work though, lolz.

Montresor

Well I've gotten 69/70 achievements in SR4 in 30 hours. The last achievement is for playing the game for 40 hours. Zzzzzzzzz. I guess I'll leave the game on overnight with the controller plugged in.

Gat out of Hell is next. Are there any missable achievements for this game? How long should the 1000/1000 or platinum take for that game?

ZeroX03

Banned
Gat out of Hell is next. Are there any missable achievements for this game? How long should the 1000/1000 or platinum take for that game?

I'd wager about 15 hours for the Platinum, and then leaving your system on for another 5 hours for the "play for 20 hours in hell" trophy. Completing all challenges is a pain, and you can't replay the combat missions to farm them.

Montresor

Before I went to bed I loaded up my 31-hour save file. Then I left SR4 on overnight with the achievements app snapped.

I wake up this morning and it shows the Play-For-40-Hours achievement is only at 86% and I'm at the main menu with a message that says "a sign-in change has occurred". A sign-in change did not occur. I was still logged in.

That's the XB1 folks: the console beta tested in the future, not beta tested in the present.

MattyH

Before I went to bed I loaded up my 31-hour save file. Then I left SR4 on overnight with the achievements app snapped.

I wake up this morning and it shows the Play-For-40-Hours achievement is only at 86% and I'm at the main menu with a message that says "a sign-in change has occurred". A sign-in change did not occur. I was still logged in.

That's the XB1 folks: the console beta tested in the future, not beta tested in the present.

did you plug the controller in and leave it idle in steelport? quick note for anyone going for the 40 hours take your battery out of the pad then plug it in

Montresor

did you plug the controller in and leave it idle in steelport? quick note for anyone going for the 40 hours take your battery out of the pad then plug it in

I left the batteries in and then plugged in the controller via Micro USB cable - I'll keep your tip in mind in the future. I was able to idle the console earlier today to get the rest of the 40 hours in while playing on the 360. So I finished SR4, got 1200/1200 and now I'm playing Gat Out Of Hell.

Man... Gat Out Of Hell feels like it will be a carbon copy of the SR4 game play. I do like all the super powers but I did not expect to play yet another game with super powers in the open world. Hopefully Saints Row 5 goes back to being a normal open world game with no super sprinting and ultra powers. Crackdown 3 should take care of that itch....

Top Bottom