• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

It's because Iwata's impact and legacy go beyond his company...it goes into all of gaming as a whole. Playstation, Xbox, every corner of our industry was touched by his hand. Everyone who plays games has been affected by him, no matter their particular hardware of choice.

That's one explanation for sure, but I can't say it's the one that does it for me.

I guess I am just too hardcore of a Nintendo fan. It touches me on a very deep level that someone at a company, of which I had been a fan since its first video game console, is simply passing away.

I have a personal history with Nintendo for close to 25 years now.
I remember it pretty clearly. It was my cousin's birthday and she got the NES pack with two controllers, a multitap and the triple cartridge (Super Mario Bros., Tetris and Nintendo World Cup).
I watched her play Super Mario Bros., doing relatively good. When it was my turn to play I was hooked.
I haven't ever played with a controller before.
I was used to the Amstrad CPC, using a keyboard or a joystick.
A controller was a completely different experience. You didn't have a stick to control the character, you had the d-pad. The buttons on a joystick back then had a very high pressure point, which the NES controller's buttons didn't have. It was so easy to press and your action would instantly come out.
I pressed A to make Mario jump. I still died at the very first Goomba.
On my second try I came as far as the first pit and I was extremely scared to jump over it. I didn't know how to run yet.
Long story short, I never finished the first level that day.
That was my first experience with Nintendo. Ever.
I will never forget that day. It made me an instant Nintendo fan for life.

My first experience with a game where Iwata had any say in it was Kirby's Dreamland.
I got my first GameBoy when I was 7.
I got it together with Super Mario Land, Tetris, Dr. Mario, Metroid II and Kirby's Dreamland.
I actually knew the first four games through my cousin (the same one that got the NES). I have only read of Kirby's Dreamland before in Club Nintendo magazines.
I became instantly hooked. If it wasn't for Metroid II I would have said that Kirby's Dreamland was my favorite of those five games.
I knew how to beat Poppy Bros. Sr. thanks to a mini-walkthrough in said Club Nintendo magazine, but I became kinda stuck at Wispy Woods. I was able to beat him on my last energy bar though.

Those are just two of my "first experiences" with anything involving Nintendo and only one experience involving something Iwata had actively laid hands on.
There are hundreds of these "first experiences" that I still remember fondly. I am a Nintendo fan at heart and will be one forever.

Through Nintendo Satoru Iwata was a part of my life for 22 years now.
He's like that cousin or uncle that you know you're related to somehow but you never get to see.
If he was my uncle I wouldn't have liked any other. The way he treated Nintendo fans and also his personal fans was unlike any other.

I still don't know exactly why that PlayStation tweet gets to me so much as it does but I felt like I had to vent a little again.

Anondreas

Guys, I'm on my way to Nintendo of America HQ. I will leave this somewhere. I just want to pay tribute to a man who brought us so much joy.

Yt6YdNz.jpg

Dealing with the loss of someone you cared about is something I'm still not used to, so don't know what else to do.

I think that will be just fine. Anything and everything that conveys our collective feeling of loss and also our appreciation for his impact.

massoluk

Banned
Guys, I'm on my way to Nintendo of America HQ. I will leave this somewhere. I just want to pay tribute to a man who brought us so much joy.

http://i.imgur.com/Yt6YdNz.jpg/img]

Dealing with the loss of someone you cared about is something I'm still not used to, so don't know what else to do.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if Nintendo World Store in NYC is planning anything, but I'll stop by just to soak it all in today.

Papacheeks

Banned
CNN is saying he died of cancer? But original story in OP says Bile Duct problem?

Or are they the same situation?

Sorry if this is bad timing to want to get information right.

Muku

Yt6YdNz.jpg

Dealing with the loss of someone you cared about is something I'm still not used to, so don't know what else to do.

That is awesome. Was hoping to actually be up that way already, but haven't made it up to Seattle yet. But I'm glad someone up there is going to rep GAF with an offering. <3

I don't think I can ever come out of this denial stage I'm in. All these feels with the Twitter piece and all... and pictures... god damn...

CNN is saying he died of cancer? But original story in OP says Bile Duct problem?

Or are they the same situation?

Sorry if this is bad timing to want to get information right.

Same. It was a bile duct growth, which would be that nefarious cancer.

Papacheeks

Banned
That is awesome. Was hoping to actually be up that way already, but haven't made it up to Seattle yet. But I'm glad someone up there is going to rep GAF with an offering. <3

I don't think I can ever come out of this denial stage I'm in. All these feels with the Twitter piece and all... and pictures... god damn...

Same. It was a bile duct growth, which would be that nefarious cancer.

Gotcha, thank you.

RIP Iwata, you were the reason I got into gaming. I may have outgrown you, but I never forget the man that put a controller in my hand at age 4.

Castlevania for NES changed me forever. And using the running pad with my cousins was the happiest moments I had as a kid.

Jing_Ke

I haven't played the original Balloon Fight outside of the Smash masterpieces demo, but I really liked the NintendoLand version. Gonna get it on VC soon.

This was one of the first NES games I rented (shortly after it came out) with my friend growing up - and it was fantastic. Many hours of two-player co-op madness were to be had.

Fond memories. :)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yeah, Bile is used to digest meats and other forms of proteins. If that part of you body isn't working properly, you won't digest food's nutrients and it will go right through you. Hence why he lost a lot of weight.
I made a post earlier in the thread but the cancer he had has a survival rate of 30% at best. Fuck cancer.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Reading this thread makes me very sad, not just because a good man died, but because of all the thank you pictures and signs and all that. What good do all these do him now? He's gone. We should be telling people like this thank you and showing this out pouring while they are alive. He'll never see any of this, any impact these things have is simple for the people making them to feel better, and thats just kinda sad to me. Heck the last things he likely saw from Gaf was the pure hatred that came out during and after E3.

Its sad we cant all have movie like goodbyes to everyone, where their last days are foretold and we can give a great outpouring of support and love to them. All we are ever left with is saying it after the fact at the absolute most worthless time to the person who could of used it most.

He dies of cholangiocarcinoma, a type of rare and lethal cancer.

It is a cancer of the bile duct system, that takes bile from the liver to the gut. It is so lethal because patient's won't have symptoms until the cancer is advanced enough to cause obstruction of the bile. In that case, it is too late to cure, since it has already spread to other organs. best case scenario, only 15% of people live 5 years after diagnosis.

It is just sad. he was seen by the best doctors and had the best treatment money could buy, but not even that was able to help him...

XenodudeX

Honestly I was going to start another run of pikmin 3 and splatoon today, but I don't think I can. It doesn't feel the same.

Scrawnton

I made a post earlier in the thread but the cancer he had has a survival rate of 30% at best. Fuck cancer.
Yeah, this is one of the worst types of cancer. Any kind of cancer in the digestive track is dangerous because it literally robs the body of its nutrients and people can deteriorate very quickly, like what just happened. This type of cancer is akin to when a hose pinches and you can no longer water the plants.

Woke up. Remembered Iwata died and cried a little. Feels bad GAF. All of the tribute pictures, gifs and stories really don't help. I've been life long nintendo fan since the NES. In recent times, I've really struggled with the direction the company had taken, between all of the broken promises and software droughts etc. I'd just grown jaded with gaming for the last decade or so. It just felt like so much of the joy was sapped from it, and especially this generation.

With the moves nintendo pulled with the U, I pretty much vowed not to pick one up until it was on clearance. Well, I picked up a Wii U/MK 8 bundle about a year ago with some credit I'd gotten through trading in games from Target and found, for the first time in a very long time, I'd been enjoying games. 3D World, MK, Smash... For better or worse, it felt like nothing had changed. There was that same joy, and magic to me that I couldn't find anywhere else. Looking back, my whole life has been about videogames and nintendo games have forged the strongest of all of my memories. Like many of you, my friends and I have logged countless hours together in Smash, MK, Goldeneye, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Wii Sports and countless others.

When my best friend got married last month, his bachelor party was basically all of us high school friends getting together for Smash and drinks. Some of us hadn't seen one another in close to a decade and for that one night, it felt like time had stopped for all of us. For that brief moment, we were no longer in our thirties, separated, or going through our own personal problems. We were all 15 again, carefree and having the time of our lives. Nintendo did that for us. A big thank you to the company and the man who was the heart of Nintendo.

Pikma

Banned
Today is my birthday and I woke up to see these truly saddening news on GAF. :(
Iwata always seemed like a great guy, he will be missed. It is both touching and comforting to see the quotes and the various tributes in the OP. Thoughts go out to his family and loved ones.
Happy birthday, please enjoy it!

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I think a large reason as to why this event is strangely upsetting to so many, is because as an industry, we are still so young. Sure, video-games have been around for a long time, as have developers and gaming personalities, but Iwata feels like the first, and without shaming those who have passed before him, significant death of a person in this industry. We have all watched and lived through his legacy, the Wii and DS era is likely never to be repeated. He brought confidence and warmness in his speeches, humour in his presentations and wonder in his imagination. He really was a large personality, something I think we all noticed. To call him a living-embodiment of what Nintendo stands for does him justice, but he was also much more. Miyamoto too, personifies the joy that many of us feel when we think about Nintendo.

While Iwata was a business man, he never felt like one. You read stories about him that tell us he was always a gamer first, everything else second. Iwata Asks came across as a conversation as opposed to a marketing piece. There was genuine love for his industry and their output. He cared about his developers and his fans first, something we've started to lose in recent days.

Iwata's entire philosophy on video-games was, and is so simple.

"Video games are meant to be just one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone!"

CJyBLTxUcAISqLN.png:large

Trey

Reading this thread makes me very sad, not just because a good man died, but because of all the thank you pictures and signs and all that. What good do all these do him now? He's gone. We should be telling people like this thank you and showing this out pouring while they are alive. He'll never see any of this, any impact these things have is simple for the people making them to feel better, and thats just kinda sad to me. Heck the last things he likely saw from Gaf was the pure hatred that came out during and after E3.

Its sad we cant all have movie like goodbyes to everyone, where their last days are foretold and we can give a great outpouring of support and love to them. All we are ever left with is saying it after the fact at the absolute most worthless time to the person who could of used it most.

Being remembered fondly makes one immortal. I do not pretend to know what Iwata felt in his twilight hours, but his dedication to the gaming community and to making people happy will exist beyond his mortal body. It will be felt by the millions of lives he impacted.

kirby_fox

Banned
The hardest part for me is going to be imagining how Nintendo announces things. I literally just was thinking about what the NX could be and in my head, it was Iwata announcing it in a direct. I realized my mistake then and sadness came back because that will never happen.

The next direct will feel a bit empty.

This is so sad. I thought I'd feel a little better this morning but I don't.

Thank you for all the memories Satoru Iwata, and rest in peace.

entremet

I get your point. But this is normal when people pass away. Also, most of us here didn't know him personally.

He did get nice well wishes last year when he was hospitalized.

Javier

I tried listening to the Smash Bros. remix of Smiles and Tears.

I couldn't held back the tears. This hit me harder than I imagined.

Yeah I woke up not feeling any better. He felt like an old friend through all of the Directs and laughter-filled Iwata Asks interviews. Gaming just got a little less joyful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom