• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was walking from my car to work today, and saw a couple kids playing their 3DS'. Teared up again as I walked into work.

I'm terrible with photoshop, but did the best I could with my avatar.

KellyNole

I knew he had some health issues, but this still came as a shock. I loved his enthusiasm for creating games was about as much as it was playing them. You could tell he loved what he did and loved for people to experience all round fun games. He will be missed.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Rösti;171758630 said:
I don't know if already posted, but NoA updated its press site with a more recent image of Mr. Iwata (this photo was taken on June 23 this year):

iwatajbjh2.jpg
If I never knew what he looked like before, I wouldn't even know he was sick.

I just connected Wii U to an old CRT TV to play some Balloon Fight and honour him.

CJzRbXBWoAAitVC.jpg

The man is gone, but his legacy will remain for the years to come. Rest in peace, master.

boiled goose

good with gravy
This possibly marks the end of an era for gaming. The industry is young and iwata was an executive that worked his way up the ranks starting as a developer.

He loved games, not just making money.

Went down to the store and picked up a Kirby Amiibo, which I was always planning on eventually getting but never got around to it (mostly due to it being out of stock a lot). Seems appropriate, and it's nice I was able to find one so easily.

The Lamp

Rösti;171758630 said:
I don't know if already posted, but NoA updated its press site with a more recent image of Mr. Iwata (this photo was taken on June 23 this year):

iwatajbjh2.jpg

He looks like he lost a lot of weight from his normal weight. Poor guy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Don't anyone worry if they get criticized for mourning Iwata's passing. Some people out there don't understand how video games and Nintendo mean so much to people. I wouldn't let what they say get you down.

Xiao Hu

Rösti;171758630 said:

iwatajbjh2.jpg

He doesn't look like a 55-year old man at all. Not knowing him I would have guessed he's in his 70ies according to this picture.

disco

I think the puppets at E3 were a means to avoid his health being speculated on, he looks so thin in that recent photo.

I really hope the stress of running the Nintendo behemoth didn't contribute the decline of his health. He was carrying the world on his shoulders. Rest in peace you absolutely fantastic man.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
There is nothing I could say that others haven't said already, and even that couldn't do justice to Mr. Iwata.

For us in particular, us here, us gamers, we beg and plead and cry out for corporate heads, the businessmen up top, to hear us, to treat us fairly, to respect us, to value us... and 99% of the time, they never do. They don't care about us, about their games... they're just a means to an end, a means to make money. We're so used to be taken advantage of, exploited, and disrespected time and time again by powerful people in charge of the things we all love and adore.

... But not Iwata.

He loved games. He loved making games. He loved promoting games. He loved gamers. Games weren't a means to an end; games were everything. They brought everyone - of all ages, all races, all genders - joy, laughter, and pure fun. That's what he was about, and took pride in it.

Through the highs and the lows, he cared deeply. He wasn't some business suit up top telling others what to do; he was in the trenches of gaming, always pushing, always innovating. He interviewed other developers to share their secrets and their creativity. He was always cheerful, even when it had to hurt, and he was always humble...

... My last memory of Iwata was him publicly apologizing for letting anyone down during Nintendo Direct E3 2015... That is my final, tragic memory of him.

... But it's also a testament to him. Because in an age where Randy Pitchford openly ridicules and dismisses those that complained about Aliens: Colonial Marines, where Bobby Kotick once claimed he sought to remove the fun in game making, where corporate giants talk up games-as-a-service, Mr. Iwata forever remained humble, sincere, and did his best to actually serve us.

We lost a gaming pioneer. The whole industry, from top to bottom, lost a man who helped shape the whole entire gaming landscape.

Nothing I wrote could do him justice. He'll be sorely missed... but because of his love and passion for gaming and gamers, he shall never, ever be forgotten.

Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata. We'll see you again one day over that Rainbow Road.
God what a brilliant post.

tariniel

I heard about this yesterday and was sad about it, but I just kept playing games and let it roll off.

Today I come to this thread and look at all the pictures and fan mourning in OP and cried. I didn't expect to cry this early in the morning :(

F

addik

Man, I wish I could come up with something to pay my respects for Satoru Iwata, but I really have nothing now :(

I have always been in the Sony side since growing up, though I did get to own the Gameboys all the way to the 3DS. However, his passing still stings. I don't always agree with some of their decisions (them not localizing their games during the Wii period, which made me swear off Nintendo consoles for a time), but I always understood their philosophy and I always admired them for it, and I always credited him for that.

For all the joyful memories and colorful worlds he has created, I do believe that he is Heavenbound.

nubbe

Rösti;171758630 said:

iwatajbjh2.jpg

damn, he is fading away :(

Chaos17

I think the puppets at E3 were a means to avoid his health being speculated on, he looks so thin in that recent photo.

I really hope the stress of running the Nintendo behemoth didn't contribute the decline of his health. He was carrying the world on his shoulders. Rest in peace you absolutely fantastic man.

Maybe but like other said his cancer prevented him to get nutriments from the food... he ws so fine looking last year before his cancer... *hurt*

Fuck cancer!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
A deeply sad news for many of us. His legacy lives on, though.

My sincere condolences to the family.

Naar

There was an article that was posted here and have read it about 1 hour ago and it had a quote where iwata said "we dont need next generation hardware, but next generation gameplay" something i think he said in 2004? around the time of ds and wii reveals

now i cant find this article (even going by my browsing history as i read a lot of iwata articles)

does someone have a link to that quote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom