• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

theeraser

Can't believe this. He leaves behind some amazing material -- Iwata Asks, his GDC talk, and all the Nintendo Directs -- that show his dedication toward an industry that was all the better for having him in it.

RIP

Decider

So shocked. I'm really going to miss seeing him in the Directs. I liked Yamauchi too but always respected the way that Iwata went from being a programmer to being head of the company without having the old family ties.

Ugh. My wife and I were playing Yoshi's Wooly World in co-op earlier today, laughing and whooping like a couple of big kids. This feels like a real sucker punch.

RIP, Mr. Iwata. Thank you for everything you brought us.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
The things that Iwata had done for Nintendo, as well as gaming in general, just show how much of a legend he is.

RIP Iwata-san.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Here is a scaled down version for avatars, with a white glow to detach it from the background.

UuYjzQl.png

DirtyLarry

Damn. Just damn.

Thank you Iwata-san for bringing me so, so many fond gaming memories. Truly and sincerely you had a profound impact, all incredibly positive, on millions and millions of people's lives. That alone is truly magical.

R.I.P.

Regginator

This is really sad news. RIP good man. We will miss you.

One thing I really hate about the gaming media is how they don't give importance to such news. I remember when Hiroshi Yamauchi passed away and the mainstream media outlets gave the news more coverage than the likes of Gamespot. It's sickening how the games media just makes this into lesser news. Today IGN hasn't even made this among the top news. It's lower down on their homepage. It's a disgrace.

These creators are the life and soul of the games and their lives are more important than the games.

While I agree, people play games for fun and some even to escape their harsh reality, and reading about a respected and well known figure in gaming industry would probably hit hard. I don't know.

GeeDuhb

Holy shit. He stuck it through to the very end. Even with what I can only imagine was an immensely stressful job for the past few years.

RIP. Nintendo will never be the same.

jholmes

Nope, he hadn't been at E3 since 2013. I do not pay attention to Nintendo but was he on the latest direct?

The last full Direct he was in but there was a mini-Direct without him at the start of June and then the E3 video was the puppet one, so he was only involved in voice only. Reggie Fils-Aime did a lot of the stuff Iwata would normally have done.

This is incredibly sad. I literally just bought a WiiU for my son who has been loving the hell out of Mario kart 8.

Industry is weaker with his loss

The president of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata has passed away. He was my former employer, but even when my situation and location changed, he was always the most understanding [of me and my work]. A hard worker and a virtuous man, he always supplied me with quick, fair guidance. I believe that he was the greatest leader I could have imagined. May you rest in peace.

- Masahiro Sakurai

Translated by PushDustin

Wanchan

I'm crying right now, really sad news to wake up to, Rest in Peace. ご冥福をお祈りいたします。

Xiao Hu

I am seriously more touched by this than Steve Jobs' death. Way too young to die leaving Nintendo at a critical point. My condolences to his family and those affected. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom