• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceHorror

Even though I was aware of his recent health issues this shocked the hell out of me.

The industry lost a giant way too soon.

RIP Iwata. :(

Malus

Holy fucking shit this is the first time a "celebrity" death has made me teary eyed. DS and Wii were my childhood and the directs made me like him as a person. RIP Mr. Iwata.

Renekton

Remember the joy of finishing pokemon Gold/Silver, then having Kanto opened up to you?

That was single-handedly the work of Iwata, who optimized the memory usage in the G/S ROM to the extent that they were able to add the entire kanto postgame content. And he was the main designer of Balloon Fight, and one of the main designers/programmers for the early kirby titles and Earthbound.
Coder-CEO... mucho respect

Garou

Just to put this into perspective: This is the current top-lheadline in Japanese News. Not just gaming or business-news, if you go to www.asahi.com the news of his passing is the first thing you see.

Damn I still remember when news broke out when he was announced as Nintendo's President back in 2002 era. Crazy to think how far the company has come in that time frame. What a legend. RIP.

Kirby will live on.

The first words that left my mouth were, "what the fuck?", then "holy shit...".

RIP, Mr. Iwata. You helped shape our childhoods with your amazing ideas and games.

buzzth

I'm so sad and mad at the same time because he brought this company to incredible profits, he's also brought some really special experiences to gamers. So it's really sad to see him check out just when the company is at such a low point and needs him most..

Wow, knew he had some health issues but didn't think it was that bad.

RIP Iwata. Always loved the "directly to you"-type segments he did on the Nintendo Directs.

Banned
He must have been hiding his illness and didn't want anyone to worry about him :(

This hits home because my parents are similar to his age (54 and 57 both next week).

Xellos

Tragic. Such a brilliant and likable guy - and only 55!

RIP Iwata. You brought happiness to millions. You will be missed.

What a fucking rough weekend. A friend of mine, her husband died and left behind 2 small children.

Now this.

WTF?!

This feels like a sick joke.

Thank you Mr. Iwata for all you've ever done in bringing us the joys of Nintendo gaming. May you truly rest in peace.

Who

Banned
I can't believe this.... Rest in peace. Words can't begin to describe the impact that man has made on my life.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Like many others I feel as though I've lost a close friend even though we'd never met. Thank you for the gift of your genius, and as importantly, your sincerity and enthusiasm.

Rest in Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom