• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

evangd007

I'm beside myself with this news. I think I'm going to go play Earthbound or a Kirby game. That feels right.

Could I get a ribbon on my avatar?

Zareka

I've been crying since hearing the news, so I need a bit of an outlet to write this I suppose.

A few years ago a few thought I was kinda crazy because I got super frustrated I wasn't able to meet Mr. Iwata. During E3, I'd just show up too late here or there, always missing the window of opportunity to meet him. I really wanted to meet him because of everything he helped accomplish with Nintendo and I just wanted to say thanks. Call it something akin to meeting an idol or something, I don't know.

Anyway... my husband was lucky enough to work with him when he was in the RWC office and always had the nicest things to say about him. Well, whenever he was in the office, I'd have him take my 3DS to work to get Mr. Iwata's Mii and StreetPass. For SOME reason, he had all the rare puzzle pieces, who'da thunk it! One time when he was in town, I decided to write a private message to him, just for fun. I never thought he'd ever take the time to write something back.

eNwyZTW.jpg

Well, shockingly he did! I'm still stunned he took the time to do so because unlike E3, this is a company/work environment and I imagine he was fairly busy at a CEO.

Now he's passed on and I don't even have the right words. RIP Mr. Iwata, I really did like the banana joke.
Thank you so much for sharing. He really cared about his fans.

This hurts. There are legit tears rolling down my face. Rest in peace, Iwata. ;_;

If someone could add the ribbon to my avatar, that'd be awesome. I'm on mobile, so I can't right now.

Zabi

Banned
I suggest everyone sad about this each mail a sympathy card to Nintendo.

As for my feelings, this is the first time I've ever felt shaken up over a industry person's death.

Ratros

I don't know what to say... There's no sign at all, I thought he was recovering from the operation:( It's a huge loss for the gaming community.

RIP.

Voliko

RIP. Incredibly sad and shocking. He seemed like such a lovable guy. Always put a smile on my face in the directs and the amazing Iwata Asks.

I think what makes this so hard is how much he tried to and did connect directly with the fans. He accomplished this and it really felt like you got to know him on a more personal level than you normally would. It's one of the things that made him so loved and makes this so hard.
Yeah, I always found it remarkable how different he was from typical CEOs and he was aleways my favorite for that. I will always remember that and how much of a fun spirit he had.

Damn, I was doing fine until cheesemeister translated that tweet from itoi. But me right in the gut.

I guess I don't feel sad as much as kind of teary eyed because it feels like the passage of time. This man helped create many childhood memories and he has passed.

Shengar

Iwata was steadfast that he would never institute layoffs. A lot of people in the business world criticized him for this, saying that sometimes you have to do it and have no choice. Iwata would always say that's not how it works in art - if people fear for their jobs, they won't make the best art they can make.

I always figured he thought that way because he's been on the other end, he knows what it's like to make video games for a living. He doesn't view developers as expendable, he doesn't want them to leave, he wanted them to make great games and be happy doing it.

Whatever you think of the results, we're probably never going to get a major gaming CEO like that again. I think Iwata is one of the few CEOs that would call anyone who developed games a friend.
Iwat makes mistakes but I genuinely like the guy. He had an idealism as a creator, as an art worker. In the hobby where many of its aspect industrialized, Nintendo keep that game as a fruit of creative labour alive.

clem84

Gold Member
Terrible news.

:_(

At such a young age. It really did seem like he poured his heart into the company and gave everything he had, and also cared a lot about gaming.

This is so sad. Nintendo Directs won't be the same.

Like everyone else,I am deeply saddened by this. My love and passion for gaming was strengthened by the things he brought into the world. Huge loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom