• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usobuko

Banned
Says a lot of a man who won't fire his stuff in dire times and still has excellent work ethics in the midst of battling a grave illness.

RIP.

I've been crying since hearing the news, so I need a bit of an outlet to write this I suppose.

A few years ago a few thought I was kinda crazy because I got super frustrated I wasn't able to meet Mr. Iwata. During E3, I'd just show up too late here or there, always missing the window of opportunity to meet him. I really wanted to meet him because of everything he helped accomplish with Nintendo and I just wanted to say thanks. Call it something akin to meeting an idol or something, I don't know.

Anyway... my husband was lucky enough to work with him when he was in the RWC office and always had the nicest things to say about him. Well, whenever he was in the office, I'd have him take my 3DS to work to get Mr. Iwata's Mii and StreetPass. For SOME reason, he had all the rare puzzle pieces, who'da thunk it! One time when he was in town, I decided to write a private message to him, just for fun. I never thought he'd ever take the time to write something back.

eNwyZTW.jpg

Well, shockingly he did! I'm still stunned he took the time to do so because unlike E3, this is a company/work environment and I imagine he was fairly busy at a CEO.

Now he's passed on and I don't even have the right words. RIP Mr. Iwata, I really did like the banana joke.

This makes me smile despite the tears <3 What a special experience. Thanks so much for sharing :)

Can someone hook me up with a ribbon?

I can't believe this. Iwata played such a pivotal part in shaping my childhood. The gaming industry has lost someone truly special. A man who cared about the consumer, loved what he did, and knew the definition of humility. He downplayed his own health so fans wouldn't worry; so it seemed like everything was fine at Nintendo. He loved video games from the bottom of his heart and he loved being able to share those experiences with us. A man who, through thick and thin, did his best to personally connect directly to the consumer. Iwata was an incredible man and the world is a bitter darker without him in it.

KageMaru

The fact that it was cancer that took him away from this world makes it even harder for me. =( I had no idea he was sick and all of my thoughts now go to his family and friends. May they find peace in this life now that Iwata has found peace in the next.

IzzyF3

I was going to turn on the Wii U to play some Splatoon, but decided to hop on Kotaku to see what's new first. Then I see news of Iwata's passing. This is really sad. I really enjoyed Nintendo under Iwata. Rest in peace.

CrazyHorse

The man exuded gentleness and a genuine desire to make people happy. All people.

When I read this it makes me think that we need to be more like him. When he got all that grief for E3 and he made a tweet in response, it was so gentle instead of being obnoxious. The world needs more mild mannered and cool people like Iwata. The man is a legend.

Neoxon

I've been crying since hearing the news, so I need a bit of an outlet to write this I suppose.

A few years ago a few thought I was kinda crazy because I got super frustrated I wasn't able to meet Mr. Iwata. During E3, I'd just show up too late here or there, always missing the window of opportunity to meet him. I really wanted to meet him because of everything he helped accomplish with Nintendo and I just wanted to say thanks. Call it something akin to meeting an idol or something, I don't know.

Anyway... my husband was lucky enough to work with him when he was in the RWC office and always had the nicest things to say about him. Well, whenever he was in the office, I'd have him take my 3DS to work to get Mr. Iwata's Mii and StreetPass. For SOME reason, he had all the rare puzzle pieces, who'da thunk it! One time when he was in town, I decided to write a private message to him, just for fun. I never thought he'd ever take the time to write something back.

eNwyZTW.jpg

Well, shockingly he did! I'm still stunned he took the time to do so because unlike E3, this is a company/work environment and I imagine he was fairly busy at a CEO.

Now he's passed on and I don't even have the right words. RIP Mr. Iwata, I really did like the banana joke.
This post honestly made my day. Thank you.

Jesus. How? This came out of nowhere.

Rest in peace, Iwata. He was honestly a treasure and we're definitely better off having had his contribution to this hobby we all love so much. You will be missed.

V-Faction

Maybe out of this tradegy something good will come out of it. Everyone here can agree that Nintendo was languishing and had been directionless as company since the failure of the WiiU. Maybe some new people at the top will take Nintendo to new heights.

Not here, please.

I think what makes this so hard is how much he tried to and did connect directly with the fans. He accomplished this and it really felt like you got to know him on a more personal level than you normally would. It's one of the things that made him so loved and makes this so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom