• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainslug

Damn, that's too bad. :(

Was actually looking forward to the game, the only Xbox One exclusive I was interested in (even though the E3 demo looked pretty bad).

Its all over the thread. Lots of people all over the thread are already talking about how it was damn MS meddling in beloved Kamiya's work that caused all of this.

When the actual people who know about this stuff, Jason, Shinobi, and EG have never stated this.
I know it's fucking ridiculous. That post will be quoted a lot there's even another post I just quoted that mentions it. Like people are so so fast to believe anything just to take a side.

This a developer that has made a MP online versus brawler a co-op game is hardly crazy.

I mentioned that before. A brawler in which MP was always the focus. All their games were never about MP and given what has happened to Fable Legends and Phanton Dust it would hardly surprise me.

Zackat

Great, so the only thing Microsoft had to even get me to buy that POS install box (Don't get me wrong I also think the PS4 is a POS install box. I want my games to run not to be installed, and I know that isn't a popular opinion, on a console :( ).... get's cancelled.

The headphone haters can rejoice. MORE ultra muscular dudebro shooters for them with no couch MP and more Online MP where they can go "that's gay.. huhuhuhu" and think it is a hilarious gay joke. (As a gay man, I love good gay jokes, but not when Dudebros consider that the word or a stereotype is the wholejoke :( ).

Way to drive of people AGAIN MS! Just like you did with the Xbox crowd moving to the 360.. (Xbox had a lot of great exclusives)... and the few Japanese Xbox fans you had with the 360... by making the latter half of that console into "DUDEBROK FUCK YEAH!" gaming.

Sorry just pissed of at the decision. It is like MS WANTS to lose.

Maybe it is all the activist shareholder Value act jerking about to get them to drop the XBox brand, as otherwise MS is just ... too...bloody... stupid!.

what does install box even mean?

That is the thing...so many here on Gaf have been shitting on the game, many named it a game in the bomb thread like you posted. MS cancels the game and then all of sudden it is a "why?, WTF?" type of thing. If the game was not going good and the team was behind schedule, why keep funding something that may just not pan out?

I mean look at how many people here on Gaf were dissing on the game, but now that it is cancelled it all of a sudden "evil MS", "Phil sucks" "Xbox is doomed" type of shit.

For a game so many did not give a shit about, that many thought was shit to begin with, it sure is one of the most popular games now that it is cancelled.

Microsoft and Xbox in general are in a catch-all no-win-even-for losing situation.

If you query the responses in that Flops of 2017, Scalebound will likely yield a lot, if not the most responses.

Yet, here we are bemoaning how terrible Microsoft is to cancel a project that wasn't working out. Did Sony not have to gut an expensive project at SSM that wasn't working out? Obviously, this isn't a 1-to-1 situation as Playstation 4 is in an enviable position from both a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party viewpoint, but the principle remains the same. Projects get cancelled, and sometimes, they need too.

I'm devastated because I've remained hopeful for Scalebound since its announcement. But I'm also not blind to the realities the Xbox brand has faced since the XB1 announcement in 2013. In my honest opinion, the brand has been irrevocably damaged and Microsoft is still struggling to this day to find some path forward. Looking at what their announcements for E32017 could be paints a bleak picture, I think most can see that.

But it's better to can a project that is not working out, than to release yet another "mediocre" game that folk in this very thread would pan MS for.

Shit like this is fucking dangerous. That is not what happened and that tweet has nothing to do with it. But people will start quoting this and eventually actually believing it when it's completely baseless speculation pulled from nothing.

Who cares about idiots. We have the right to speculate whatever we want, as long as we make it clear we are speculating.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I want to say we heard about multiplayer very early on with Scalebound. I don't agree with that speculation at all.

If it wasnt announced as a multiplayer title, it was likely added on later and the scope of the project changed. Changing demands from the publisher can be scary, just ask Arkane who had to be bought out by Bethesda just to finish Arkane due to Bethesda dicking around with the requirements and milestones.

spannicus

Man MS have been a really piece of shit this gen. I laugh at all of the "Phil Spencer is the saviour" fucking lying piece of shit. What a waste, can't wait to not buy more Halo, Gears and Forza, those IP's got stale years and years ago. Same recycled shitty games with no imagination and no risk.
Lol calm down man how u know its spencers fault? You better chill before he catches you on the street and pulls out that Draco.

AAMARMO

Banned
Ah, here's what I was looking for

XucL0OR.jpg

July 2015: "Those shits at MS...are they fucking with me?"

So, let's set a timeline HEAVY with speculation. Game was announced at E3 2014 without much notice. It skipped E3 2015, but showed up at Gamescom that year in August with an announcement of four-player co-op, which was shown off with a much rougher game in E3 2016's conference. The game was then cancelled soon after.

My guess is that, in July, Kamiya was told he had to rejigger the game into a four-player co-op thing. There were never any hints he wanted to make the game a Monster Hunter-like, but I am guessing people in charge of money were expecting him to do so. It gets announced, shown off, and the response is tepid. Changing tides at Microsoft, a desire to free up the UE4 team they put together to work with Kamiya, and being unhappy with the state of the game lead to it being cancelled.

If my guess is correct, that's really sad.

PIp4dcp.png

Which is?
This one.

I may be misremembering or mashing unrelated/unconfirmed things together, but I think I remember something along the lines of MS wanting to present Scalebound by having him go all the way to Gamescom just to say a few lines and introduce a video for the game, when he wanted to present actual, live gameplay, as played by himself. (The latter being what happened.)

I seem to remember him being upset at the idea of being on-stage as an MS prop.

I do know that he commented on Scalebound being the only game he worked on where he didn't choose the title. MS chose it. And he was also annoyed at the promo art for the game at E3 2014, which was also their decision. Beyond that we don't officially know how much MS got involved in the game creatively, but it sounds like they didn't have complete freedom at all times.

NZerker12

Im getting scorpio cause MS still have Halo and Gears and forza and everything else i want to play. Im getting it for the same reason i got the Pro. Same games, but better.

I mean its unfortunate that it was cancelled but if it was, theres definitely a good reason for it. They dont go and cancel good games for the hell of it. It probably wasnt very good/fun.

Well its good that it appeals to you, but those franchses are now suffering from sales decline. I've seen people say that the Scorpio is going to destroy the PS4/Pro but if there are no new exclusives to show then all they have is 3rd party which is not enough, If they have a PS4/PRO whats the insentive to switch?

MBS

Banned
Most of their projects since MGSR are borderline mediocre anyway, and that's a shame considering that Platinum is formed by Capcom's former top-tier developers. Nonetheless, i hope that they deliver something special with Nier.

Jesus, from that Kamiya tweet this looks pretty serious. I just hope Platinum isn't too hurt from all this. Scalebound never really interested me though and the little amount of hype I saw for that game was concerning.

Solrac

don't know what MS is thinking with moves like this and they pretend to release a new console this year ? no games no console

~Cross~

Wow I remembered a tweet I saw from him and found it. He saw it coming.
3Zzcwf9.png

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/626385177317478400?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

There it is. Im sure that the deal changed and that whatever milestones they had internally were scrapped in favor of going all in on multiplayer. Something that Platinum had no experience working on. They work themselves to the bone trying to meet microsofts incredibly stupid goals and when they cant they get cut off.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Most of their projects since MGSR are borderline mediocre anyway, and that's a shame considering that Platinum is formed by Capcom's former top-tier developers. Nonetheless, i hope that they deliver something special with Nier.

So I take it you didn't care for Bayonetta 2?

Gothos

Yea, you know that things are not going your way when you're mentioning freaking Halo Wars 2, a game from a genre that is dying and is not really console oriented, as one of your biggest console exclusives of the year... LOL.

Riposte

They were teasing multiplayer at TGS 2014, a few months after the game was revealed. I have a feeling that Kamiya may have hinted at multiplayer even earlier, but don't really feel like looking stuff up.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/19/tgs-2014-scalebound-developer-teases-multiplayer

I personally think Kamiya cursing at Microsoft had to do with auxiliary details (which you would think MS has more control over to begin with), like the marketing or presentations. He once openly criticized the art of MS's official site for the game.

Also thinking we were seeing a "depressed" Kamiya on stage is ridiculous. How he acts in interviews and within documentaries is not how you should base how he feels about presenting to a huge crowd. On top of this, E3 is very stressful, in a different time zone, and he's probably not as comfortable speaking english, in that context.

How about you use the back button created for that purpose?

I was hoping that by asking you to actually quote and re-read the post you're complaining about, you'd realize that nobody actually portbegged to begin with, and maybe even admit to it.
so I'll just quote it for you!

Nothing of value was lost.

Now watch Nintendo revive it for Switch just like they did with Devil's Third. :lol Tragic. ��

there's no portbegging here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom