• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rad-

There it is. Im sure that the deal changed and that whatever milestones they had internally were scrapped in favor of going all in on multiplayer. Something that Platinum had no experience working on. They work themselves to the bone trying to meet microsofts incredibly stupid goals and when they cant they get cut off.

Let's be honest. The co-op was the only good sounding thing about the game. It looked fairly generic other wise.

D i Z

I agree with the idea that a game should be cancelled rather than to be shipped broken and sold for $60, yes.

Scalebound though? Platinum games aren't usually broken at launch. Inclined to think Microsoft probably wronged Platinum in some way with this game and then couldn't ship it

I'm more inclined to believe that this was one for the lost cause pile, and all eyes on the project knew that it was a wash. Pumping more money into a studio flailing with a concept mired in mediocrity isn't going to produce a master piece, nor a return on investment. Activision knows this all too well.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yet, here we are bemoaning how terrible Microsoft is to cancel a project that wasn't working out. Did Sony not have to gut an expensive project at SSM that wasn't working out? Obviously, this isn't a 1-to-1 situation as Playstation 4 is in an enviable position from both a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party viewpoint, but the principle remains the same. Projects get cancelled, and sometimes, they need too.

The big reason SSM's project was cancelled was because of Destiny, the same reason why Activision Blizzard's own Project Titan was cancelled. With the Bungie+Activision teamup, most publishers didnt think itd be worthwhile trying to compete with Destiny in the MMO shooter space.

xbox gamers are going to be very sensitive for a while ... it was one exclusive we had that was different than the other AAA.
Well even for PC gamers too as it was going to be available on both!

this truly saddens me....

If MS tries to bandaid by playing CG trailers of new games, i wont buy it. They did that before when the developer didnt even know about the trailer.

sigh.....

Neonep

The bright side is that I don't have to save money to buy a X1 any more.

T6K23gn.gif

Same here.

Jb

Souls games aren't open world so much as several incredibly linear and tightly designed levels that're interconnected with each other, certainly not open world in the sense of what people typically mean. Like having villages with roaming npcs. Hell Souls npcs don't even roam.
Scaleboundtown.gif

Wow I don't remember seeing this footage.
Fuck this is such a punch in the gut :(

Obviously the project might have been completely fucked and non-salvageable, but Scalebound was the xbox exclusive that interested me the most.

Hexa

zKNLAKB.png

Microsoft, take notes!
Their exclusives still look abysmal.

MsFOScf.png

I don't want to get into list wars but that is an awful comparison. Better would be conference comparison.

WWS Games announced by Sony at E3 2014:
Entwined ✓
Bloodborne ✓
LittleBigPlanet 3 ✓

Though they were in cruise mode at that conference and didn't reveal much lol.
But overall they have a pretty good track record with releasing all their games they announce.

Kamiya walks into Sony HQ and says "I got an idea for Lair 2"

The one thing we can confirm is that Platinum will never work with Microsoft again.

Exactly. Look at the Xenosaga games after Xenogears.

The current status of this game will never come out but those wanting to see some form of it released, as a "spiritual" reimagining, however likely it is, better hope Nintendo or Sony want it to happen.

As my other post said, now we play the waiting game to see KH3 cancelled on the One for the west.

They were teasing multiplayer at TGS 2014, a few months after the game was revealed. I have a feeling that Kamiya may have hinted at multiplayer even earlier, but don't really feel like looking stuff up.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/19/tgs-2014-scalebound-developer-teases-multiplayer

I personally think Kamiya cursing at Microsoft had to do with auxiliary details (which you would think MS has more control over to begin with), like the marketing or presentations. He once openly criticized the art of MS's official site for the game.

It just feels like the cancellation is due to PG find out they can't handle this project anymore so they have to give up.

Effect

No. The tweet has nothing to do with that it's baseless speculation.

Even if the tweet was about something else the theory that Microsoft would have pushed the game into a new direction and that caused problems isn't unfounded. It happen before with them and their exclusives. It would also account for the change the game went through from it's original reveal to it's new showing in 2016 and Microsoft's focus.

Theorry

Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX
My take on all this, and I've been seeing this for a while, is that Microsoft is transitioning all their games to the 'live service' model.

Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX
Basically Microsoft want to have their games emulate what Minecraft has been able to do.
Long lifecycle, large user base, Increased spend.

Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX
Microsoft's future direction is about being able to offer the Xbox games and live services on multiple devices that run Windows 10.

Athreous

Kinect almost useless, no new games use it
Few exclusives
Appealing games getting canceled...

What's the point of buying an xbone?

But why would you choose to knowingly build a world of delusion for yourself?

For it to be a delusion, I have to accept it as 100% truth. Speculation is just brainstorming what could've happened based on knowledge we have. It doesn't mean everyone should accept it as fact. In fact, I literally just called people that do accept it as fact despite clearly stating it's just speculation idiots in my "who cares about idiots" part. Cuz that is indeed an idiotic thing to do.

eot

Banned
Wow, I wasn't following this game closely but this is kinda nuts IMO

Was supposed to be Kamiya's next big thing

Most of their projects since MGSR are borderline mediocre anyway, and that's a shame considering that Platinum is formed by Capcom's former top-tier developers. Nonetheless, i hope that they deliver something special with Nier.

Like GAF GotY Bayonetta 2 that made it into the greatest games of all-time specials fron Edge and Hardcore Gaming 101 you mean? Or the excellent Wonderful 101? Or the far better than a cheap, licensed game like Transformers had any right to be?

I agree with your last sentence at least.

DXMGT

Banned
This whole gen is just horrible. Worst gen I have been through and I've played games since NES. Can't wait until few years and hopefully things get better again.

PS4 is pretty damn decent tbh, and PC is incredible. I have a great feeling about Switch too.

Despera

Banned
Game didn't look that hot tbh. Decision is probably for the best.

More resources for NieR Automata so I aint complainin'.

They were teasing multiplayer at TGS 2014, a few months after the game was revealed. I have a feeling that Kamiya may have hinted at multiplayer even earlier, but don't really feel like looking stuff up.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/19/tgs-2014-scalebound-developer-teases-multiplayer

I personally think Kamiya cursing at Microsoft had to do with auxiliary details (which you would think MS has more control over to begin with), like the marketing or presentations. He once openly criticized the art of MS's official site for the game.

You are correct, MP wasn't something that just came out of the blue. It was teased in multiple interviews after is reveal. There was even a podcast interview with Ken Lobb who stated that scalebound was going to be a game that Platinum do well (Action) and something MS does well (MP).

even the reveal trailer gave some implication of this, so that theory is just being pulled out of thin air.

ps3ud0

Feel sorry for the people that bought an XO because of the Platinum/Scalebound rumour/reveal. It didnt look that hot the last few times Ive seen it but least it existed to add to the XOs catalogue diversity.

I wonder how MS will court other third party devs to make games exclusive for them when it seems an awful road already trodden by the likes of Obsidian/Remedy et al and now Platinum...

ps3ud0 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom