• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound Gameplay Demo [extended IGN First demo in OP]

What game does Scalebound most remind you of?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fou-Lu

I didn't want to buy an Xbox One.

But I probably will when this comes out. It's really early footage so I am not worried about the frame rate and such, but the game itself looks like something I will love.

T.O.P

Banned
Dragon design is fantastic, i guess we will be able to "level" it up or something?

Probably new moves and stuff like that

*boner*

Dark_castle

Zk2RxQD.gif
And now I just sat here and stared at this gif for the past 10 minutes. Thanks.

fallingdove

Just watched the trailer. Game looks really rough. I can see how this could get repetitive. Send dragon to destroy barracks. Fight wave of enemies. Send dragon to destroy barracks. Fight wave of enemies.

Really surprised with Kamiya on this. Platinum trailers up til now have always been - "Yeah, I get it, and this is going to be awesome."

Mixed feelings with this one, It's good to see P* try new things ... It's another RPG.

Hopefully the human sized combat will have more depth than this vid suggests.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
nothing wrong with making comparisons. its natural. also, each person makes their own connections based on their own experiences and perceptions based on a stage demo. the poll is fucking dumb.

Dabanton

Game looks awesome I guess I was only one thought the character looks cool.

I like what I've seen of him so far,including the earphones. I mean what's the difference between this guy and how someone like Nathan Drake acts?

Wise cracking,cocky guys it makes the games a lot more fun.

Dereck

I wouldn't hate it with it wasn't for the generic douchbag #179 design + annoying voice and personality.

I do like his transformation design though.
I hear ya.

This game has a foundation that I like, it just needs some touchups, and I didn't care for the music that they used in the headphones, took me out of the atmosphere.

Jarmel

Banned
If you can choose your dragon type I imagine there will be some in-depth level of complexity to the dragon combat.

Holy shit, dream dragon game, trailer looked amazing. Now, if they can only polish up that framerate a bit, the scale of the battles looks insane.

I mean Kamiya directed Okami, so its not like he hasn't made boring-ass video games with shallow combat before.

Yup. Scalebound might end up being good to some people, but this was really disappointing. Combat was soooo slow.

Also really sick of the wisecracking generic white guy no. 1386 too. That schtick is getting really old in games now...

harSon

Banned
I'm actually surprised at the scope of the game. Didn't think Platinum had it in them, especially with their hands in so many pots. How big is their development team at this point?

Game is still a long ways out, I can understand some of the criticism such as the animations and framerate, but Kamiya knows what he is doing and it always shows in the end product with his games.

#havefaith

I imagine he didn't really have a choice in the matter. If MS was gonna give him this much money, they made DAMN sure they hit every focus test buzzword and style they could. Make the main character kinda cocky, but make sure his design isn't TOO distinctive or creative, we don't want another Okami/Bayonetta/Viewtiful Joe situation. Gotta be open world, that's all the rage right now. RPG ELEMENTS, gives the illusion of depth to people who don't know their slow-ZRHOH from their moon of mahaa-kalaa. Co-op focus of course, XBL gold subscription seller right here. Can you make the music a bit more...IDK, bland? We don't need that J-Pop/Funk shit from Bayonetta and Viewtiful Joe. Something totally inoffensive to non-Kamiya fans, thanks.

Yes, let's make damn sure this game is exactly like everything he's previously done. Can't have him doing anything outside the format that has already been established.

This does look like a more Westernized take on a Platnium game, but that's kind of an exciting prospect. It's something outside their wheelhouse, but with some of their identifiable elements. Personally, I love the whole EDM/fantasy clash they're setting up. Combat looks really fun & diverse, and it's a visually exciting game. Platnium combat in an ARPG... why not?

RyudBoy

Why are people so concerned about the frame rate? A game of this scale is bound to have some hiccups.

Not to mention, pre-alpha stage.

Etnos

Banned
Kamija is eager to block all idiots criticising main character >:l

Said so, it does looks awful, the whole game seem like it escaped for the late 90s, awesome and bizarre

RyudBoy

Bull. Retail bloodborne had a poor framerate. What demo pre release had a drastically worse framerate?

This will be a sub 30 game at release. Count on it.

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare ran like 35-50fps prior to release on XB1. Even ran @ < 900p.

Finished product? Pretty much locked @ 60fps with a dynamic 1080p resolution.

I just watched the IGN demo and.....Its not doing anything for me at the moment. I'm not even talking about technical things like framerate and animations, I'm concerned with gameplay. I wouldn't call it bad but I didn't see anything that has me itching to get my hands on it right away like every other Platinum game reveal. This being a pre-alpha build of an action RPG, I'm sure we haven't seen a shit ton of the combat options the game has. This particular demo seems like a vertical slice 30 minutes into the game. It has a long ass time to shape up and I have absolute faith in Kamiya though.

benzy

Why does everything have to be RPG and or open now? What's wrong with a straight action game? I'm dissapointed...

Not what I expected or wanted from Kamiya.

I don't think it's open world judging from the video. The path is pretty linear. Seems more like interconnected linear environments with some parts having a larger battlefield.

Top Bottom