• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorpio presentation pictured within AMD's Vega/Ryzen booth

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Call them fanboys or just enthusiasts, but people didn't wait all this time expecting to get just a PS4 Pro on steroids.

What do you mean by the phrase "people didn't wait all this time"? Who are these folks? What were they waiting for exactly? If they were holding off Pro for Scorpio, they are getting what MS advertised, a machine stronger than PS4 Pro, PS4 and especially the original console XB1.

What does Zen have to do with that?

Space_nut

What do you mean by the phrase "people didn't wait all this time"? Who are these folks? What were they waiting for exactly? If they were holding off Pro for Scorpio, they are getting what MS advertised, a machine stronger than PS4 Pro, PS4 and especially the original console XB1.

All Zen will do is allow better frame rates. Other than that everything in Scorpio will offer vastly superior hardware and performance. Plain and simple. 4gb more ram, ~2 Treaflops more raw gpu power on newer architecture, 320gb/s bandwidth, CPU that will be better in either CPU it uses.

Inuhanyou

All Zen will do is allow better frame rates. Other than that everything in Scorpio will offer vastly superior hardware and performance. Plain and simple. 4gb more ram, ~2 Treaflops more raw gpu power on newer architecture, 320gb/s bandwidth, CPU that will be better in either CPU it uses.

This is true. Which is my point. My viewpoint is that Zen is not going to be in Scorpio, and it honestly should not matter to anyone and it should not be perceived as a failure on MS's part to acquire a part that is not ready for semicustom mass production.

Scorpio will still have a superior performance to Pro to begin with. That is what comes with a year of technological increases in this case due to the features you mentioned just there.

What do you mean by the phrase "people didn't wait all this time"? Who are these folks? What were they waiting for exactly? If they were holding off Pro for Scorpio, they are getting what MS advertised, a machine stronger than PS4 Pro and especially the original console XB1.

Scorpio was supposed to be a true generation leap. Now, please focus on the word "true" and you should understand why Zen would be integral to the speculated design.

Edit. With true generation leap I was only talking from a technological standpoint, i.e. Zen vs Jaguar.

If Scorpio will not have Zen it's gonna be a huge disappointment.

You can't even use the theresdozensofus.gif for all the people that think that Zen is going to be in Scorpio. You could maybe make a five a side team out of the people that do, maybe.

Unless you mean it is a huge disappointment to you, personally?

Mosse

Neo Member
Scorpio was supposed to be a true generation leap. Now, please focus on the word "true" and you should understand why Zen would be integral to the speculated design.

Are you sure you're not getting "true 4k graphics" mixed up with "true generation leap"? Because microsoft said the former but I'm having a hard time recalling them actually saying anything like the latter. They also don't mean the same thing, and Zen is not needed for the former.

onQ123

Scorpio is to Xbox One what PS4 Pro is to PS4 but they are doing things a little differently. in the end the games are tied to Xbox One & PS4.

i-Lo

Given what Scorpio might be packing just what kind of jump can we expect in two years when the next-generation consoles make debut as well what kind of visual fidelity can we expect?

Scorpio is to Xbox One what PS4 Pro is to PS4 but they are doing things a little differently. in the end the games are tied to Xbox One & PS4.

Not really. PS4 Pro is a simple upgrade. Scorpio is a console thought to give developers more freedom to develop their creativity without being constrained by hw limitations.

Space_nut

lol sorry to break it to you but it its wasn't ever called a "true" generational leap. Whatever that is

Man if 4k gaming is not a generational leap I don't know what is. Just the lack of aliasing alone and the higher quality textures add so much to immersion.

Space_nut

Not really. PS4 Pro is a simple upgrade. Scorpio is a console thought to give developers more freedom to develop their creativity without being constrained by hw limitations.

Again all the advancements Scorpio will get does give devs a lot more freedom. But no matter how strong you make a system devs will always be constrained by hw limitations. Welcome to game development 101

Inuhanyou

The way the console was presented, as a "no-compromise" 4K gaming machine kinda implied it. Also, I don't remember exactly who, but some insider said that Scorpio was going to be a true generation leap.

Insiders. lol. MS doesn't see generations anymore. Its not necessary for them. They want every game to be forward and backwards compatible on their machines.

Given what Scorpio might be packing just what kind of jump can we expect in two years when the next-generation consoles make debut as well what kind of visual fidelity can we expect?

MS isn't making a 'next generational' machine in Scorpio, they have given up making generational upgrades and instead want iterative upgrades.

Also...i think its weird to expect a scorpio successor in 2 years when its coming out at the end of this year. That's like less than 2 years on the market

Inuhanyou

This is a classic post let me tell you. Nobody said anything about what your describing. You disappointed yourself if you fell for marketing of power to mean something entirely different

Generation leap in terms of hardware, i.e. Zen vs Jaguar tech.

What is a Zen CPU going to enable the Scorpio to do that's so special. Keeping in mind that if it did have one it would be a low powered version not a full fat desktop variant. So maybe let's say 2x more powerful than the Jaguar?

TB12

Banned
If Scorpio will not have Zen it's gonna be a huge disappointment.

Just out of curiosity.
How much are you willing to pay for a scorpio systeem with zen on it?

Becouse i just cant see it that micorosft gonna sell this thing for cheap, for a ultra hd blu ray player with 6tp and zen on it...

My guess its gonna cost $399 without zen!

Inuhanyou

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the Ori developer.

Oh, that remark he made. Its not really a leak so much as a statement he made, nobody leaked anything. the ori developer is going to hype up the power of the machine but that has nothing to do with arbitrary metrics like 'generational leap'. The machine will be the strongest console in the world at launch regardless of what they put in it for the CPU

Haven't kept up with this thread, couple of questions.

Is Zen the successor to Jaguar or is there something in between? If Zen isn't ready, what is Scorpio likely to use?

Inuhanyou

Is Zen the successor to Jaguar or is there something in between? If Zen isn't ready, what is Scorpio likely to use?

Zen is not the successor to Jaguar, Puma is the successor to Jaguar. Ze is a brand new architecture from scratch. Jaguar was always a low end notebook oriented CPU.

Scorpio is likely to use either Jaguar like Pro, or Puma, which is an iteration of Jaguar.

SENJUTUSAGE is your source? Lol, what the hell.

Zen would be the successor to Piledriver. Jaguar was the successor to Bobcat.

Also, isn't Ryzen supposed to launch soon?

Zen is not the successor to Jaguar, Puma is the successor to Jaguar. Ze is a brand new architecture from scratch. Jaguar was always a low end notebook oriented CPU.

Scorpio is likely to use either Jaguar like Pro, or Puma, which is an iteration of Jaguar.

SENJUTUSAGE is your source? Lol, what the hell.

There was also an insider here on NeoGaf, don't remember who exactly but someone considered reliable, who suggested the same thing earlier, giving more credibility to what SenjutsuSage reported. Maybe Zen was indeed the original plan for MS.

djnewwest

Banned
haha love these threads. Well just going from the picture in the OP it sure as hell looks like Scorpio will be using some version of Zen.

Inuhanyou

Zen would be the successor to Piledriver. Jaguar was the successor to Bobcat.

Also, isn't Ryzen supposed to launch soon?

We're not talking about Ryzen we're talking about a semicustom APU using Zen architecture. Ryzen is the specific line of desktop CPU's based on the overall Zen architecture for this year.

haha love these threads. Well just going from the picture in the OP it sure as hell looks like Scorpio will be using some version of Zen.

The pic is advertising vega and zen, using the same slides AMD used to promote pro and scorpio for their lineup of hardware wins at a previous conference.

Custom SOC is not even on the table past Q1 2018. Scorpio will not have it.

Why should a custom SOC be on the table? We are not talking about a product that is coming out in the PC market, we are talking about a custom project for MS and as such, they may want to keep its details secret until the reveal.

LostDonkey

I still think the Project Scorpio logo points towards Zen.

The same letter E and all those open Enso symbols as O's and C's.

The Enso or ouroboros is a Zen symbol.

Plus the Zen and the Scorpion story.

Top Bottom