• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Murray's message to you before playing No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh my.

You know, what I remember most is going into NMS threads and having people ask "BUT WHAT DO YOU DO!". At some point, the fans got ticked off at people doing this, as it seemed to envelope the conversation.

I believe I had the same questions and #concerns. It's amazing that in retrospect, people were completely justified in their confusion of the game's mechanics and the constant pushing of "what do I do in NMS?"

I'm surprised there wasn't some self back patting earlier. Scrolling through there were some people trying to reign people in throughout this thread.

I can't bring myself to scoff at this thread though. This one just makes me sad in general for everyone involved from dev to participants. This game is a true dichotomy.

Not the point, there were a lot of accusations of cover-ups and misinformation/straight up lying directed at Bungie when it came out.

Not trying to head too much off topic but what drama and cover up did they have that compares to this?

I only recall the Marty issue and the incoherent story but features were not missing and there was (is) a story; not a good one at all but it is there.

Also reading the first page of this thread is too much for my weak heart.

Oh my.

You know, what I remember most is going into NMS threads and having people ask "BUT WHAT DO YOU DO!". At some point, the fans got ticked off at people doing this, as it seemed to envelope the conversation.

I believe I had the same questions and #concerns. It's amazing that in retrospect, people were completely justified in their confusion of the game's mechanics and the constant pushing of "what do I do in NMS?"

THAT'S THE BEST PART. So many people felt uneasy about this game and had the same question and people genuinely got upset and felt disrespected about that question being asked.

So now we all know what you do. You refund.

Randomizer

The big difference here is that Destiny was and is freaking awesome with a shit ton of people still playing it.
Well... I mean people had genuine complaints about the lack of content in vanilla Destiny. All of that has since been resolved with content patches and expansions.

mdubs

Banned
Oh my.

I feel remember making a thread asking that question a while ago and just getting blasted by many posters. I wish the game had turned out to be good

Schlorgan

Not trying to head too much off topic but what drama and cover up did they have that compares to this?

I only recall the Marty issue and the incoherent story but features were not missing and there was (is) a story; not a good one at all but it is there.

Also reading the first page of this thread is too much for my weak heart.

I remember the Reddit thread before the game came out from an alleged former employee talking about development drama and that there were only four areas in the game. Bungie was pretty quick to push against that saying that it was the biggest game they'd ever made. When it came out, there were only four areas that looked very similar and the story missions had you run through the same areas multiple times (sometimes in a row). Everything in that Reddit thread was true.

I remember the Reddit thread before the game came out taking about development drama and that there were only four areas in the game. Bungie was pretty quick to push against that saying that it was the biggest game they'd ever made. When it came out, there were only four areas that looked very similar and the story missions had you run through the same areas multiple times (sometimes in a row).

Gotcha gotcha--thanks for reminding me of the scenario. I don't think it is anywhere near as big as this but definitely two cases of too much hype and not enough communication.

exfatal

I sent that to my brother, who isn't a gamer. My wife, who tolerates my obsession, and my gaming buddy, who has no sentimentality whatsoever.

Their responses, respectively, "holy shit that's cool", "it's incredible to see his inspiration", and "I'm very happy to help support a guy like that".

I genuinely hope this game makes every member of the Hello Games team a wealthy individual. 57 minutes till go time.

At least his wish came true. Thank god i didnt buy into the hype game didnt appealing to me and couldnt understand the hype behind it. Reading the first page is kinda sad so much dashed hope..
i know the feel bro just look at my avatar :(

I really wish No Man's Sky had defied my cynical expectations. I don't think Sean Murray had bad intentions, but I think he and his team bit off way more than they could chew in terms of what they promised people.

It makes me sad to look back at this post I made in January and realize that I was pretty much spot-on.

If playing games based on random/procedural generation has taught me anything, it's that the generated content is often a tenth as compelling as content that is hand-made.

At least the puzzles in The Witness were all made by hand. I still don't know what the point of No Man's Sky is, other than to explore. But if they're gonna price it at $60 because it has "infinite content" when in reality all that will translate to is "I visited a planet today and this time the dinosaurs had three ears instead of the regular two", that isn't going to cut it for me personally.

I just get the sense that a lot of people who are hyped for NMS are going to pick it up for full price in their excitement, play it for maybe a week or two, and then drop it realizing the price you pay in terms of quality content when all of it is procedurally generated. People will look back on it as that game everyone was super excited for for years during the PS4/XB1 generation of consoles and then it didn't live up to expectations.

I hope it turns out to be a great game and is priced reasonably so it is financially successful, but that's the vibe I'm getting from it right now. Then again, I thought the same for The Division, but now that they're coming out with all of the preview content and they have a beta going on, I can see that game might actually have legs, and I'm pretty excited about that considering I had zero expectations before. Only time will tell, I suppose.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Don't shit on people for being cynical. Yeah, it's bad to be negative 24/7, but the writing's been on the wall for NMS to not be what everyone wanted, at least for the past year. I'm sorry I don't share your blind optimism in an indie game being sold for $60. I'm sorry my hype was lost after two years of the same exact demo on different planets being shown at every large games event. I'm sorry I'd rather hold onto my money for something more deserving of it.

I'm not gonna tell people to not buy it or not enjoy it just because I won't. But for you to act like you pity someone for looking at a purchase through a critical lens before spending their money is just ridiculous.

yup

FutbolBat

Banned
Well... I mean people had genuine complaints about the lack of content in vanilla Destiny. All of that has since been resolved with content patches and expansions.

Day 1 Destiny guy here. Vanilla Destiny provided some of the greatest moments of my console gaming life with strikes, planet farming, raids, weeklies, dailies.... THE LOOT CAVE. just sitting around shooting guys coming out of a cave and shooting the shit with your friends in a chat party. it was awesome. i just wish you could have griefed your friends... thanks, sean, for ruining destiny.

I feel remember making a thread asking that question a while ago and just getting blasted by many posters. I wish the game had turned out to be good

That's too bad. Honestly, I can get why some people felt they knew enough to like the game, but it really did feel like there was something so evasive about the game.

It's like some people got caught up and believed in the whole "go anywhere, discover things, mine, fight, see other players" thing, while others simply wanted to see it. A classic example of faith vs. science-- believing in the Man, and wanting evidence.

It's disappointing because I wanted to believe Sean and his desire for gamers today to enjoy something WITHOUT the internet spoiling it. But on the other hand, I just REALLY wanted to see something substantial.

Oh, and that's the other thing: Sean telling people to avoid the internet and explore the game for yourself. It sounds like he wanted us to avoid spoiling such great adventures and discoveries.. but really, the internet just exposed the shallowness of the game's promises.

At least his wish came true. Thank god i didnt buy into the hype game didnt appealing to me and couldnt understand the hype behind it. Reading the first page is kinda sad so much dashed hope..
i know the feel bro just look at my avatar :(

Ironically, I could say the exact same thing about Pokemon (or anything). Why not being into something is a "thank god" moment as if it took anything other than disinterest on your part. You didn't have some Rosetta Stone, no precognitive skills. You just weren't interested in the game, like a lot of other people who didn't buy it.

I mean thank god I didn't buy into the hype of GTA V, cause I had no interest in that game. What am I saying with that statement? Absolutely nothing of value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom