• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seeming surge of hate crimes, assaults, intimidation in wake of Trump victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but there's a news story in my hometown about High Schoolers hanging hand written Whites Only and Coloreds signs over a water fountain. Since it's a fairly red city, one news station reported it as a "water fountain prank," while surprisingly the more conservative local paper took a more nuanced approach. Of course the commenters online unanimously agreed that this was surely a hoax or false flag by "anti-trump cry babies." I'm disgusted, but throughly depressed since I've got Trump supporting relatives that attend the school.

edit: District investigates racist signs over water fountains at First Coast High

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
giphy.gif

Wait. What if we email Snopes and ask them to investigate a claim about Snopes?

Does the universe implode?

I still can't wrap my head around so-called Christians who want to discriminate against others. I mean, if you believe in Jesus' teachings, wasn't that...kind of his thing? To accept everyone?

Yeah, he often defied cultural tradition to talk to people who would have been viewed as lesser people (women, Gentiles, etc.)

Before I lost my faith entirely, I briefly saw a vision of Christianity that I felt good about supporting, but that version seems to be in short supply. Most "Christians" are less strict adherents of Christianity and more cultural Christians who go to church occasionally and are against gay sex and abortion.

digdug2k

Snopes is very liberal narrative leaning these days.

It's very possibly a photoshop, but I don't really trust them either way
Lol. I saw people on Facebook bitching "You can't trust Snopes" yesterday too. The funny thing about Snopes is they have fucking text and links to sources. You can read it yourself. Or you can just read the "True" or "False" at the top, scream "Liberal Shill!" and instead believe every Facebook post you see that supports the narrative you want to believe. But don't expect people to sit down and have 30 minute conversations with you about how Obama has affected your socio-economic status if that's the way you're going to treat the conversation.

geomon

California Woman Wearing Headscarf Attacked As 'Hijab Wearing B*tch'

Vandals targeted a California woman who wears a headscarf for health reasons in a Monday attack, smashing the rear window of her car and leaving a note that read "Hijab Wearing Bitch."

After returning from a hike in Fremont, California, Nicki Pancholy found the rear window of her car broken, her purse stolen, and a note that read “Hijab Wearing Bitch. This is our nation, now get the F— out,” according to a report by Bay Area news site SFGate.

In solid blue California. Imagine what's going on in those crimson red Trump states.

Red

What we need is a registry of people who supported Trump. Any one of them could be a danger to American citizens. Not all of them are bad, but certain populations have been radicalized. They should be tracked.

Iorv3th

What we need is a registry of people who supported Trump. Any one of them could be a danger to American citizens. Not all of them are bad, but certain populations have been radicalized. They should be tracked.

We do have facebook...

Can you cite an instance where they lied in such a way that promoted liberal leaning? If not, you're essentially saying that all liberals lie.

I'm not seeing the link between that post and "all liberals lie," but to be fair it is true, because all humans lie. Not all the time, not in every context, and not always blatantly. Often just by omission.

But I am completely lost on how one makes the leap from "Snopes is liberal leaning" -> "all liberals lie."

I get the impression that the critique leveled at Snopes was intended to be more along the lines that they are more likely to post conservative agenda stories that are false than liberal agenda ones. Of course this could simply be because in actuality there are more conservative stories being generated that are false.

It could also be no fault of Snopes, if they consider themselves as a mostly neutral party, if they research every story submitted to them and it turns out more false conservative stories are being submitted. A neutral party could happen to have a more left-leaning audience, seeking to debunk stories from the right, and what could a neutral Snopes do other than make a concerted effort out of fairness to find false stories from the left (which might not even exist).

Or for all we know they could be pushing some sort of liberal agenda. I don't assume that any source is without bias, and make an attempt to scrutinize sources I agree with to be sure they aren't simply reinforcing my own worldview.

Not saying any of these is the case, just some interpretations on why Snopes might appear to be left-leaning.

I'm not seeing the link between that post and "all liberals lie," but to be fair it is true, because all humans lie. Not all the time, not in every context, and not always blatantly. Often just by omission.

But I am completely lost on how one makes the leap from "Snopes is liberal leaning" -> "all liberals lie."

I get the impression that the critique leveled at Snopes was intended to be more along the lines that they are more likely to post conservative agenda stories that are false than liberal agenda ones. Of course this could simply be because in actuality there are more conservative stories being generated that are false.

It could also be no fault of Snopes, if they consider themselves as a mostly neutral party, if they research every story submitted to them and it turns out more false conservative stories are being submitted. A neutral party could happen to have a more left-leaning audience, seeking to debunk stories from the right, and what could a neutral Snopes do other than make a concerted effort out of fairness to find false stories from the left (which might not even exist).

Or for all we know they could be pushing some sort of liberal agenda. I don't assume that any source is without bias, and make an attempt to scrutinize sources I agree with to be sure they aren't simply reinforcing my own worldview.

Not saying any of these is the case, just some interpretations on why Snopes might appear to be left-leaning.

Please read the context. I was replying to him not trusting Snopes because it was liberal-leaning, and thus I asked him if Snopes has ever allowed its leaning to interfere with the purpose of the website; if he does not, then it is a valid inference that such a mindset entails an inherent distrust in a person for having a political lean regardless of whether that political lean interferes in their work.

When I criticize Fox News, I criticize them not because they are a conservative news outlet, but that they are an untrustworthy news outlet. Though yes, I will also criticize them for being conservative because very often the content of their news stories can be inherently problematic.

Please read the context. I was replying to him not trusting Snopes because it was liberal-leaning, and thus I asked him if Snopes has ever allowed its leaning to interfere with the purpose of the website; if he does not, then it is a valid inference that such a mindset entails an inherent distrust in a person for having a political lean regardless of whether that political lean interferes in their work.

When I criticize Fox News, I criticize them not because they are a conservative news outlet, but that they are an untrustworthy news outlet. Though yes, I will also criticize them for being conservative because very often the content of their news stories can be inherently problematic.

Snopes is not a monolithic entity, though. On their front page alone, I count at least 8 different contributors. I think it's reasonable to assume that at least one of their contributors probably lets their biases get in the way of the articles they write, to some extent, even if that bias only manifests in a focus on some stories and less focus on others. With so many contributors, the chance that none of them has ever allowed their biases to interfere with the purpose of the website is pretty much zero. This isn't evidence that the site is left-leaning, but in the absence of a deep investigation it probably leans in some direction. A lack of total trust is justified.

I wouldn't fault anyone for failing to come up with "evidence" that a site is left-leaning or right-leaning in this way, since this is something that one can get a feel for over a long period of time without having a concrete moment or set of articles to point to. On top of that, any evidence is likely to be rejected by someone challenging for that evidence, since these things are often subjective. You will find people who would even argue that GAF is not left-leaning with their own evidence to back up this view. It might be possible in the case of Snopes to compile a list of 50 recent political articles, and say look, 40 of them are conservative lies and only 10 are liberal lies; to which a likely rebuttal would be, Trump's campaign was particularly fraught with lies, and if you look at Snopes more broadly over a long period of time you'd see that they are pretty neutral...and then more evidence could be gathered, and rejected again ad nauseum. I don't blame anyone unwilling to engage with that.

I'm not asking for evidence of a lean, I am asking for evidence that that lean has once influenced their ability to report non-biased information.

If a lean is present then it influences their ability to report non-biased information, in the sense of providing a neutral and/or fair view overall.

Even if they are reporting 100% accurate information without much editorializing, silence on the subjects that are not covered speaks just as many volumes, and can influence readers as much as if they were putting spin on every article. They might not be fact-checking as many stories on one side as on the other, giving the appearance that one side is providing a lot of false information and the other is saying nothing controversial. Again, in this case any perceived imbalance could be due to actual imbalances in the stories being generated by either side, but any lean is still going to have an influence on the site and its readers.

But what stories are they overlooking? What face-checks have been insufficient? You can certainly choose to ignore Snopes and the like, but do not expect people to take your ignorance of it to be taken seriously if you cannot create a specific, clear objection to how the site operates (if political leanings affects your ability to trust a source, you have nearly zero access to trustworthy information).

geomon

75-year-old Sarasota man says he was attacked for being gay

The 75-year-old, who thinks he was targeted because of the pro-LGBT bumpers stickers on his car, parked in front of a neighbor’s house — and that’s when the other driver confronted him.

The man, who he described as a Hispanic man with a beard, started banging on Redding’s car window and then attacked him.

“He yanked the door open, dragged me out, ripped my shirt — I was on the pavement,” Redding said.

Redding suffered cuts, bruises and abrasions in the attack, which the assailant linked to Trump’s election.

“He kept saying, ‘You know, my new president says we can kill all you f*ggots now,'” Redding said.

I figure I'll just put all of the Post-Trump election hate crimes here, for historical purposes.

Anecdotal story. I met this girl yesterday who told me she was grabbed in the crotch while walking through the bar district (Mill Ave.) in Tempe, AZ. The guy also shouted "Grab her by the pussy!"

Aselith

If a lean is present then it influences their ability to report non-biased information, in the sense of providing a neutral and/or fair view overall.

Even if they are reporting 100% accurate information without much editorializing, silence on the subjects that are not covered speaks just as many volumes, and can influence readers as much as if they were putting spin on every article. They might not be fact-checking as many stories on one side as on the other, giving the appearance that one side is providing a lot of false information and the other is saying nothing controversial. Again, in this case any perceived imbalance could be due to actual imbalances in the stories being generated by either side, but any lean is still going to have an influence on the site and its readers.

So then it should be pretty easy to cite examples since they are pretty left leaning website now. Do a Snopes check on Snopes and post it up.

Particularly, if you think they excluding things post those things that you couldn't find that would be a popular search as that would be them actively hurting their own business so I don't believe that basically at all.

Kwixotik

I liked Snopes' Facebook page a while back just so I could get fact checking in my news feed for a lot of stuff I see. But it pisses me off because the titles of their posts are just the claim, and the post provides no info on whether the claim is proven or not until you click it. So essentially it's just helping spread fake news, as no one clicks things in 2016.

Mike M

Nick N
I liked Snopes' Facebook page a while back just so I could get fact checking in my news feed for a lot of stuff I see. But it pisses me off because the titles of their posts are just the claim, and the post provides no info on whether the claim is proven or not until you click it. So essentially it's just helping spread fake news, as no one clicks things in 2016.
Send them a message about it. I'd imagine it's something they'd take seriously given their whole reason for existence.

Media

I think on Facebook at least they are changing that; I saw a snopes linked article that had the headline and then '-it's true'.

How would we end bias in Reporting? Would it help to have left and right leaning reporters and writers on staff?

Edit: and why does my phone randomly capitalize things?

So then it should be pretty easy to cite examples since they are pretty left leaning website now. Do a Snopes check on Snopes and post it up.

Particularly, if you think they excluding things post those things that you couldn't find that would be a popular search as that would be them actively hurting their own business so I don't believe that basically at all.

I haven't made any claim as to whether or not Snopes is left or right leaning. Frankly I don't read them often enough to judge either way, their site isn't on my regular rotation or feed or what-have-you. Primarily I wanted to show how the original poster could've arrived at their opinion through other avenues besides noting specific examples of outright lying, as any number of factors could lead one to the impression that a site leans one way or the other.

I already addressed the idea of going to the effort of combing through tons of data for evidence...for the sake of one or two specific people who asked for it...who are already opposed to that position and likely going to dismiss the evidence...who wouldn't suddenly change their stance on any positions even if they did accept the evidence...deep within a thread where the data isn't even necessarily relevant to anything...where you couldn't even be sure anyone would even read your findings or take it to heart. I don't blame the poster for not coming back with that - at least in this specific case, it'd be exhausting and ultimately pointless.

The fuck is a "pure white Christian environment?" Yet this is the same type of people worried about Muslims spreading their hate, but have no problems with a "fellow white Christian" killing civilians at an abortion clinic.

We really are headed back to the 1960s.

The racist think we are going back...

They got another thing commin. We not going back.

R0ckman

Yeah, he often defied cultural tradition to talk to people who would have been viewed as lesser people (women, Gentiles, etc.)

Before I lost my faith entirely, I briefly saw a vision of Christianity that I felt good about supporting, but that version seems to be in short supply. Most "Christians" are less strict adherents of Christianity and more cultural Christians who go to church occasionally and are against gay sex and abortion.

Just wanted to chime in here, because this has to do with history. Which I find so facinating. The classic "conservative Christain" from what I understand is a relic from the European Reforment movement. The movement itself was more or less anarchy agaisnt the original bloodline monarchy there, but "religion" was used as the prop to get the larger population involved (since thats all they knew back then).

This is basically the mutated version of that Christianity. Which is why its mainly some mostly political stances with "Christianity" kind of duct taped to it.

Audioboxer

Man that picture posted all over GAF of that guy covered in blood might even be fake

SANTA MONICA POLICE DEPARTMENT ADVISORY:

You may have seen an unconfirmed story regarding a possible hate crime incident involving a “Chris Ball” alleging he was assaulted in Santa Monica on election night, November 8, by “Trump Supporters”.

The Santa Monica Police Department and the City of Santa Monica have not received any information indicating this crime occurred in the City of Santa Monica. We encourage the alleged victim to come forward and work with us if a crime did in fact take place. A check of local hospitals revealed there was no victim of any such incident admitted or treated as well.

If you have any questions, please contact Public Information Officer, Lt. Saul Rodriguez, (310) 458-2293.

http://www.snopes.com/trump-supporters-beat-gay-man-in-california/

Guy is a film maker who works with special effects as well. Shit like this makes your blood boil.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
75-year-old Sarasota man says he was attacked for being gay

The 75-year-old, who thinks he was targeted because of the pro-LGBT bumpers stickers on his car, parked in front of a neighbor’s house — and that’s when the other driver confronted him.

The man, who he described as a Hispanic man with a beard, started banging on Redding’s car window and then attacked him.

“He yanked the door open, dragged me out, ripped my shirt — I was on the pavement,” Redding said.

Redding suffered cuts, bruises and abrasions in the attack, which the assailant linked to Trump’s election.

“He kept saying, ‘You know, my new president says we can kill all you f*ggots now,'” Redding said.

I figure I'll just put all of the Post-Trump election hate crimes here, for historical purposes.

He better make sure he's light enough to pass for white. If not.....he may be misinformed...

I guess he's trying to show his support for the new administration. Dont get locked up for it buddy. If you do better make sure your papers are legit...

I thought about something today. I think its time for all the groups that are being targeted to come together as one. Minorities, LGBT, Jews, etc.

I mean they will have to to stand up against the new America.

Thank you.

Latest hate crime victim: Will Sims, a musician from the Bay area.
1123-2016-Willsims.jpg

This man was beaten & shot to death outside a bar on the 16th. Police are saying he was targeted because he was Black & theyre looking for two of the three murder suspects.
Apparently these men beat & robbed this guy outside a local bar, then shot him as tried to crawl away. One of them is in custody.
http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/11/22/el-sobrante-one-charged-two-sought-in-shooting-death-of-richmond-man/

suspects.11-22.jpg

Daniel Porter-Kelly, 31 (pictured on far right) has been charged with robbery and murder with a hate crime enhancement related to the Nov. 12 killing at Capri Club. He is being held without bail.
Further details about Porter-Kelly’s arrest were not released.
Deputies are searching for two more suspects, Ray Simons, 32, of Hercules (pictured in middle) and Daniel Ortega, 31, of Novato or Richmond (pictured on left), in connection with the murder.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As Catholic i do not understanding why christians hate. Jesus said to love not hate.. :(

Religion like anything can be used as a excuse for whatever people want it to be. Religion specifically lets people imagine an all-powerful deity wants them to do something, providing infinitely strong justification for their actions.

Shadybiz

As Catholic i do not understanding why christians hate. Jesus said to love not hate.. :(

Right. I am a lapsed Catholic myself, and I am not entirely certain that Jesus...at least in the way that we are brought up to believe in him, existed (it is fact, though, that there was indeed a Jesus of Nazareth). However, the teachings in the Bible are fairly simple...love one another, love thy neighbor, etc. Loving everyone and hanging out with those less fortunate than others was...kind of his "thing."

I do not know how these teachings got distorted so much over time. It's basically the worst game of "Whisper Down the Lane" EVER.

Jesus is New Testament. Theres a whole other portion of the Bible that preaches retribution, vengeance, suffocating fealty, & unquestioning obedience. Not hard to see how someone can use those concepts to advance & justify an evil agenda.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's honestly quite ridiculous. The Old Testament had a lot of this all-or-nothing type stuff, but the New Testament overrules a lot of it.

In fact, a lot of the later stuff in the New Testament actively encourages treating foreigners well instead of shunning them.

Religion is a tool used by hateful people to justify their actions. They twist words from their holy books and use it as justification for their horrific actions.

Those (like you) who follow and believe in love and kindness use religion as a way to help the world. Sadly, especially with the rise of evangelism, religion is no longer a moral code to set your life to, it is a tool to strike down those who oppose you and stay morally righteous.

The best thing you can do is stay open minded and double down on your beliefs to resist the rhetoric of those who have decided to fuck it all up.

(I'm a Discordian, so my religion is based around changing your perception through drugs and meditation to understand and organize the chaos of existence. It's also a bit of a joke, but that's the point.)

geomon

Letter to San Jose mosque threatens genocide: ‘pack your bags’

San Jose police initiated an investigation after a mosque in the city received a letter threatening that President-elect Donald Trump will “do to you Muslims what Hitler did to the Jews.”

Authorities were alerted to the letter Thursday night after the imam at the Evergreen Islamic Center on Ruby Avenue found it in the mail. The letter called the recipients “children of Satan” and “vile and filthy people.”

Investigators are treating it as a “hate-motivated incident,” said Sgt. Enrique Garcia, spokesman for the San Jose Police Department.

“There’s a new sheriff in town — President Donald Trump,” the letter said. “He’s going to cleanse America and make it shine again. And, he’s going to start with you Muslims.”

“You Muslims would be wise to pack your bags,” the note continued.
Faisal Yazadi, president of the mosque’s board of directors, said he hoped the letter’s sender would engage in a conversation with their community.

“Our doors are never locked,” he said. “I hope that person knows that we’re more than happy to have a dialogue. Hopefully, we learn a thing or two from him or her, and he or she learns something from us.”

So sick.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Audioboxer

I cut my anterior medial malleolar artery on my left leg and didn't go to a hospital. I had insurance at the time.

The guy claimed he did go to a hospital.

Police say no crime reported and no local hospitals reported it.

SANTA MONICA POLICE DEPARTMENT ADVISORY:

You may have seen an unconfirmed story regarding a possible hate crime incident involving a “Chris Ball” alleging he was assaulted in Santa Monica on election night, November 8, by “Trump Supporters”.

The Santa Monica Police Department and the City of Santa Monica have not received any information indicating this crime occurred in the City of Santa Monica. We encourage the alleged victim to come forward and work with us if a crime did in fact take place. A check of local hospitals revealed there was no victim of any such incident admitted or treated as well.

If you have any questions, please contact Public Information Officer, Lt. Saul Rodriguez, (310) 458-2293.

Ball says Hospital reported to police

"I didn't call the police, but the hospital did—they had to," he said. "By the time I sobered up, I didn't think there was much that could be done. Like, I didn't see the [attackers'] faces, I hardly remember where I was, and I just wanted to be done with it. The Twitter posts [made it seem] like a witch hunt, but it wasn't."

Ball notes that he can't remember the exact bar that he was at during the time of the attack because of how intoxicated he was, but says that it was within Santa Monica's Third Street Promenade.
http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/calg...rump-supporters-for-being-gay-accused-of-hoax

The reason "fake" crimes don't get reported is it is illegal to report things that didn't happen. Hence how the Hijab girl even after admitting making something up still may face charges.

Why do people do shit like this? An inability to handle their anger and emotions, a pursuit of a victim complex making them wish to seek emotional support and

Chris Ball, 25, made headlines Thursday morning after outlets, such as Metro and Pink News, reported on images circulating social media that featured Ball covered in blood after an alleged attack by Trump supports in Santa Monica, California.

attention.

When things are fake it makes you sick. Such assholes are worse than the bogeymen they make up as it completely makes a mockery of anyone on the receiving end of actual crime/violence/hate. That picture was reposted over GAF I don't know how many times by people involved in debates and arguments just after the election results. In a world of fake news liberals can be just as bad taking anything on face value that allows an emotional response to be furthered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom