• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seeming surge of hate crimes, assaults, intimidation in wake of Trump victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incarmine

Banned
Poor and desperate people will blame anything, and minorities are the easy target. Ignore an entire segment of the country's population, pretend they don't exist and let them fester in their economic shithole, and it's easy for them to turn to hatred like this.

Shut this kind of shit down, find them jobs and they'll hopefully be less eager to eat up the white supremacist shit.

Red

Snopes is very liberal narrative leaning these days.

It's very possibly a photoshop, but I don't really trust them either way
Snopes does a great job. The reason they lean toward a "liberal narrative" is because the conservative narrative has abandoned truth.

My friend was pushed around by 2 white guys who were telling him he was a wetback and to go back to mexico. He was born here! Luckily other people came to his defense before things escalated. This is in SoCal.

GPsych

In mostly liberal Fort Collins, CO I saw a couple of young guys (college student at CSU more than likely) in a giant pick up truck flipping off a guy with a visual impairment crossing the street and laughing about it. Once the guy with the visual impairment made it to the other side of the street, one of the pick-up truck guys shouted, "Trump doesn't want blind fucks in America!!" and drove off crazy fast.

A friend of mine in Atlanta last night called me crying because she was just told to go back to Mexico while walking to her car by some fat white redneck. She's not even Hispanic, and was born here, but that made my blood boil. Don't know if I would've been able to control myself had I been there with her.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The video of the guy getting beat up for voting Trump was not rated true even though there are a crowd of people clearly yelling to beat him up because he voted Trump.

I don't mind if sites are liberal leaning (I'm a liberal) but a site that is only about distinguishing fact from fiction shouldn't play politics or it loses all of its credibility. Like Snopes.

Mifune

Mehmber
Poor and desperate people will blame anything, and minorities are the easy target. Ignore an entire segment of the country's population, pretend they don't exist and let them fester in their economic shithole, and it's easy for them to turn to hatred like this.

Shut this kind of shit down, find them jobs and they'll hopefully be less eager to eat up the white supremacist shit.

There's no excuse for acting this way, lashing out at minorities. Absolutely none. i don't give a shit how poor and "ignored" you think you are.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
The video of the guy getting beat up for voting Trump was not rated true even though there are a crowd of people clearly yelling to beat him up because he voted Trump.

I don't mind if sites are liberal leaning (I'm a liberal) but a site that is only about distinguishing fact from fiction shouldn't play politics or it loses all of its credibility. Like Snopes.

Didn't the altercation start off as a traffic disputes?

The 60s

Hex

Banned
Snopes is very liberal narrative leaning these days.

It's very possibly a photoshop, but I don't really trust them either way

YHYDzSj.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

I don't mind if sites are liberal leaning (I'm a liberal) but a site that is only about distinguishing fact from fiction shouldn't play politics or it loses all of its credibility.
Uh, first it says "mixture" not false, and they quoted police and the victim himself, as saying the incident was caused by a traffic dispute.

http://www.snopes.com/black-mob-beats-white-man-for-voting-trump/

The victim, David Wilcox, 49, spoke to the Chicago Tribune in an interview published 11 November 2016. He told the paper he did vote for Trump, but no one in the crowd could have known that. He said the crowd was egging on the beating with taunts, but the incident did start with a car accident:

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Didn't the altercation start off as a traffic disputes?
Uh, first it says "mixture" not false, and they quoted police and the victim himself, as saying the incident was caused by a traffic dispute.

http://www.snopes.com/black-mob-beats-white-man-for-voting-trump/
The people who beat him up weren't even driving they were just chilling at a bus stop. It was a traffic dispute between him and people who watched him get into a car accident and then jumped him, I guess.

They said "He voted for Trump" and he answered "What does who I voted for have to do with anything?" and got jumped. It's not a mixture. I don't understand why they would rate it as one

Jakten

No, Snopes rated it partially true. That fight was due to a traffic accident and bystanders made it political by chanting about Trump. The fight itself was not politically motivated.

devilhawk

These fact checking sites are good for what they are and do a decent job, but when people (or the sites themselves) use them as data for statistical analysis, I just roll my eyes. The sites should absolutely not be in the business of aggregating and inferring based off of it.

Trying to tell me that Hillary is .003% or whatever less a liar than Bernie is stupid as all hell.

Incarmine

Banned
There's no excuse for acting this way, lashing out at minorities. Absolutely none. i don't give a shit how poor and "ignored" you think you are.

So what do you propose doing? Because whatever the democratic party or liberal-minded people have been doing the past number of years has not prevented what has happened.

Ogodei

It's like radical Islam in a way. Plenty of folks who can be brought back from the brink and more still who can be prevented from starting down the dark path, but there are also people poisoned beyond recall who need to be isolated from society as much as possible.

rpmurphy

If I were to believe that's the case, I would be ignoring hundreds of years of American and European history up through the current day. Personally, I have a very hard time giving these demographics the benefit of the doubt that at some point in recent history they actually did disavow the country's ugly history of rejecting and marginalizing immigrants and people of color.

So what do you propose doing? Because whatever the democratic party or liberal-minded people have been doing the past number of years has not prevented what has happened.

In terms of the election, the loss was more about failing to mobilize the existing Obama coalition than failing to reach out to "working class white voters". It wasn't a surge in turnout for Trump; it was a dip in turnout for Clinton (driven by many factors, from her own public image to restrictive post-VRA voter laws).

In terms of culture? Well, we should be improving those parts of the country not for the sake of "fighting white supremacy" but simply because it's the right thing to do. When it comes to the actual white supremacists, though? Fuck them. They made their beds.

Pickman

A friend of mine had a swastika sharpie'd on her dorm room door. She's Jewish and so are her 2 roommates.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new-school-swastikas_us_58278bfde4b0c4b63b0cf8ab

Brietbart is saying they did it themselves (of course).

The initial FB post where she shared this was full of deniers that rolled in from the facebook friends of friends shit. She's since gotten death threats and all kinds of horrible shit through her Twitter account after sharing it.

MogCakes

The initial FB post where she shared this was full of deniers that rolled in from the facebook friends of friends shit. She's since gotten death threats and all kinds of horrible shit through her Twitter account after sharing it.

It seems that one would have to create a burner account just to post anything like this on social media unless they want to be completely doxxed. She probably wasn't expecting the mass flood of harassment...

catbrush

It's like radical Islam in a way. Plenty of folks who can be brought back from the brink and more still who can be prevented from starting down the dark path, but there are also people poisoned beyond recall who need to be isolated from society as much as possible.
"Y'all-Qaeda"
There are too many fucked up anecdotal incidents, even in liberal areas, for this to actually be anecdotal. Racists have become emboldened and feel vindicated.

Red

"Y'all-Qaeda"
There are too many fucked up anecdotal incidents, even in liberal areas, for this to actually be anecdotal. Racists have become emboldened and feel vindicated.
This should not be a surprise. This is how you "Make America Great Again." It's the platform of bigotry Trump ran on.

Incarmine

Banned

Ok, I hear people saying we need to isolate these people as much as possible, but these people CAN STILL VOTE. Dismissing and holing them up in their pockets won't keep them from going to the polls.

Or do we want to start instating voting requirements like minimum education? Cause that sounds noble, until it is abused in the most terrible of ways.

"Ladue Schools communications director Susan Downing said that the attack was reported to police and that the attacking student, who was Hispanic, was disciplined the next day."

gabbo

What the fuck. 'Disciplined the next day'? How is someone who does that not expelled for assaulting another student that day? And the mother's letter; if completely accurate, makes the administration at that school just as despicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom