• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega/Deep Silver publishing Valkyria Revolution in Q2 2017 on PS4/XB1/Vita

I think they'll port to consoles first, and use that architecture to release it on PC. Like you said, Atlus is not familiar with PC releases, so perhaps Deep Silver will assign another dev to port the port.

1. Sega Europe has their own in-house port-team that is proven.

2. GOD I HOPE NOT. Deep Silver has a horrible track record when it comes to outsourcing ports to anything, usually going with the lowest-bidder without any vetting. High Voltage ring a bell?

Nozomi

Banned
I think they'll port to consoles first, and use that architecture to release it on PC. Like you said, Atlus is not familiar with PC releases, so perhaps Deep Silver will assign another dev to port the port.

I would love to believe but knowing Atlus and Sega past record of japanese game releases on Steam i just can't.

cireza

My guess would be that a PC version does exist and is being announced separately given the first game's PC success and the decision to make an Xbox One port specifically for the west. That's not a guarantee, of course
Why rush to release the game on PC when you are more or less forced to sell at 20 bucks (or less) to encounter success, while the game will probably sell for double or triple this price on consoles ?

PC is probably seen as a good way to make some more money later, but they already know that it is no use releasing at full price on it.

Why rush to release the game on PC when you are more or less forced to sell at 20 bucks (or less) to encounter success, while the game will probably sell for double or triple this price on consoles ?

PC is probably seen as a good way to make some more money later, but they already know that it is no use releasing at full price on it.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Durante Signal GO.

I actually find it kind of funny. The Japanese box art is desaturated and a sideways view of Amleth Chin-Down-Eyes-Up, whilst the western cover is more vibrant and detailed... and uh still chin-down-eyes-up but w/e.

Weird to see this of all games buck that trend of Japanese covers being artistic while western covers are edgy.

Japanese cover:

I dunno, the Western cover has the main character looking angry with bloodstained shirt and face, and desaturating is totally an artistic choice. I don't feel this bucks the trend at all.

1. Sega Europe has their own in-house port-team that is proven.

2. GOD I HOPE NOT. Deep Silver has a horrible track record when it comes to outsourcing ports to anything, usually going with the lowest-bidder without any vetting. High Voltage ring a bell?

Valkyria Chronicles on PC was ported by only 4 developers.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1000997

I hope it's them again because they did an excellent job.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

PC is probably seen as a good way to make some more money, but they already know that it is no use releasing at full price on it.

Because there's no way to say for sure if that's true? Bandai Namco is the only Japanese publisher that does seem to be doing some big releases at the same time lately and so far they seem to be doing well.

If this game really does turn out to be a flop it might not be the best choice to prove that for Sega though.

Grief.exe

Sometimes I see a response like this, and I honestly don't know how to treat it.

Do I start by explaining how revenue works? Start with the base assertion isn't correct? Or the percentage breakdown between physical and digital distribution?

Ultimately, if the response is so far outside the base, is there a point in even addressing this at all?

Nyoro SF

Valkyria Chronicles on PC was ported by only 4 developers.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1000997

I hope it's them again because they did an excellent job.

That group disbanded a while back.
Also I will say they did a good job with framerates and mouse and keyboard controls (of which I am thankful), but they did a poor job QAing with memory bugs and other issues. I think we can expect a bit of a better standard for a major release this time.

Qurupeke

Good news, but even though I really liked the first game, I'm not sure about this one. Seems a lot more action based but I really liked the turn based nature of Valkyria Chronicles. Also, I'm not feeling swords at all. Other than the stuff with the Valkyria, the first one felt down to Earth, in its own way I suppose. Swords, especially the ones on Buster Sword's size, look so out of place and make this a bit too anime...

I hope it's a good game...

Fisty

XB1 vs Vita.... this should be interesting. I expect the Vita version to be a shitshow, but I am hoping it turns out good

Teletraan1

Banned
This game looks bad. Really wish the sequels hadn't just gotten low effort PSP games and now a genre change spinoff. I would be there day one for a natural progression of gameplay systems from VC1.

How VC1 sold on steam is irrelevant. This is a different genre and the brand doesn't have the clout to pull in people who loved the first game. It should absolutely be on steam day one but I don't think should be due to VC1's relative success on Steam. Having to justify putting anything on Steam at this point is silly.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's hard to tell if the game is genuinely bad or if people are just moaning because it's not like VC..

Its both. Both of the demos so far have been very lackluster(although the second demo was much improved from the abysmal first demo) and we can only hope the final release turns things around.

But you'll see a lot of people complain about how 'anime' the game is and how its not SRPG or like Chronicles without taking into account the subtitle not being Chronicles and the game generally being a completely different concept.

its not SRPG or like Chronicles without taking into account the subtitle not being Chronicles and the game generally being a completely different concept.
Sega only have themselves to blame for trying to ride the coattails of a beloved dead franchise with a game that has nothing to do with it

I think Nintendo learned that lesson with Federation Force, and that was at least in universe

ezodagrom

Haha wow 900k. That is probably more than all their Sonic games on Steam put together. And Sega cant be bothered.
Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed alone has over 800k, Sonic Generations has almost 700k, and their worst selling Sonic game on Steam, Lost World, has around 120k (though only because of humble bundle, was like half or a bit above half of that before).

Inuhanyou

Sega only have themselves to blame for trying to ride the coattails of a beloved dead franchise with a game that has nothing to do with it

I think Nintendo learned that lesson with Federation Force, and that was at least in universe

If you want to complain about a different spin on the franchise, i'm not saying you can't.

Just note that we've been told since the start that this a completely new thing unrelated to the previous games. So generally speaking, i don't think there should be any surprise or shock about what it has been shown as. Or talk of being deceived like i've heard around the net from a few folks.

Inuhanyou

Just wish that SEGA would one day make another Chronicles game or at least remaster VC 2 and 3 (even if 2 is my least favorite of the main games)

The people in charge of the franchise have basically said in interviews that it would be too much work to redo 2 and 3 into a fidelity for modern console(or PC)release, and would essentially go a long way towards erasing the manpower and budget of what they could put into a brand new game like this instead. They said it would be almost equivalent to remaking the games entirely.

If you want to complain about a different spin on the franchise, i'm not saying you can't.

Just note that we've been told since the start that this a completely new thing unrelated to the previous games. So generally speaking, i don't think there should be any surprise or shock about what it has been shown as. Or talk of being deceived like i've heard around the net from a few folks.
I havent seen the deceived thing, most of what I have seen is annoyance that the Valkyria name is getting used for a game that is nothing like it despite the series being dead.

And that is annoying. Annoyance that Sega could've avoided by having a Valkyria Chronicles 4 announced, or by making this a new IP.

Inuhanyou

I havent seen the deceived thing, most of what I have seen is annoyance that the Valkyria name is getting used for a game that is nothing like it despite the series being dead.

And that is annoying. Annoyance that Sega could've avoided by having a Valkyria Chronicles 4 announced, or by making this a new IP.

Very true. But the fact of the matter is that this is an IP they wanted to utilize the dead name for and make something else out of the ashes.

That's what took place.

With the sales of this game, who knows if we'll ever get another installment in this franchise, Revolution or no.

Grief.exe

The game sold 900,000 copies on PC.

If this was a sequel to a Koei Tecmo title that did 20K copies, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Koei Tecmo continually shits the bed with their releases too.

This game looks bad. Really wish the sequels hadn't just gotten low effort PSP games and now a genre change spinoff. I would be there day one for a natural progression of gameplay systems from VC1.

Ironically, if the game had been on PC in the first place the revenue would have been there to justify a full sequel instead of half-measures.

Similar circumstances to the Alan Wake franchise.

That group disbanded a while back.
Also I will say they did a good job with framerates and mouse and keyboard controls (of which I am thankful), but they did a poor job QAing with memory bugs and other issues. I think we can expect a bit of a better standard for a major release this time.

They need to reband for this cause!

Well, VC and V Revolution are both fundamentally different games taking place in different universes...

Y'know, I did entertain the idea that Sega is banking precisely on the IP having no history on the Xbox as some sort of hedge against fans on PlayStation not being quite so enthusiastic about the change in direction.

But honestly I know a far more safer and proven way to hedge such a bet that rhymes with 900k.

Top Bottom