• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seinfeld is the Unfunniest Sitcom of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 7 just for the Seinfeld parts (and well, because I had heard that Curb was a good show). Sadly, there was not enough Seinfeld in it so I ended up giving it away to a friend.

Curb was decent, but far from the masterpiece that is Seinfeld.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
God, fighting over 90s sitcoms? Obviously missing out on the true victor for 00s:

936full-malcolm-in-the-middle-photo2.jpg

:D
Definitely one of the best shows of all time, comedy or not

The parents alone are worth it, definitely one of the best written characters. Cranston's performance as Hal could only be done by him (inclined to say the same about the mom's character, but Cranston really nailed it)

flippedb

Banned
I'm 1
and what's this?

Seinfeld is a great show, period.

Also, Friends wasn't that bad, I did like some episodes...it's not the worst, there's Mike and Molly, The Big Bang Theory, According to Jim and quite a few others that are, in my opinion, way worse.

HERMANS HEAD+PARKER LEWIS CAN'T LOSE GAF ASSEMBLE!

Herman's Head was underrated.

Anyway, thoughts from someone who harangued his friends to watch "that Seinfeld show" that no one was watching way back in high school:

I think it's one of the best sitcoms of all time. That's not a particularly controversial sentiment. However, as clever and groundbreaking and subversive (it basically destroyed the traditional sitcom formula) as it was, it was also massively massively popular. And over the years I've noticed this fringe of extremely square people--as Ichabod noted--who just find it the be-all end-all of popular entertainment in all forms. Which is a little weird. I have doubts about your sense of humor if you hate Seinfeld, but I also have doubts about your sense of humor if you're obsessed with Seinfeld.

How many people in this thread watched Seinfeld when it first aired?

See above, I remember bugging people to watch it because I was afraid it was going to get cancelled.

I agree. I "get" the show, as it revolves on everday awkward situations, buts its just...not funny. Yes seeing a girl with man hands is disturbing and yes its hilarious to see it on TV. But how often can you tell the exact same joke? Yes people get intiminated by hardline Clint Eastwood-like ex-war vets. But how the episode is done is so cheesy (and in a non-funny way).Yes forgetting someone's name you know can be awkward and its a hilarious play on. But it just wasn't done in a funny way. Seinfeld's problem is that it was more or less the first of its kind. Since then shows like Arrested Development, Its Always Sunny, and Curb (duh!) have drastically improved the formula as things rarely focus on one thing and it is told in a much more humours and realistic or surrealistic manner.

God, fighting over 90s sitcoms? Obviously missing out on the true victor for 00s:

936full-malcolm-in-the-middle-photo2.jpg

:D
While the show had its moments it outlived its expiration date. The show start to get ridiculous, this is highlighted by one of the siblings moving to Alaska to get married only to start living in a ranch owned by a Soviet cowboy...

The other thing that happened is something I call "The Charlie Brown Effect" which is essentially that a bleak tone that gets repeated over and over again stops being black humor and start becoming sadistic and annoying. Yes the family is dysfunctional and always has things end in disaster or near disaster. But can't they win once? The
series finale with Malcolm losing the job offer of a life-time so he could become "president" unknowningly in the future highlights it. I know its a wink toward what might become, but still.

And what's the deal with Jerry Seinfeld's comedy routines interspersed in the episodes? Was he actually a stand up comic back then or is it just for the show? I actually feel terrible for people who lived back then if that's what passed for stand up comedy. It's just so corny and unfunny that it's not even funny (no pun intended). He makes Dane Cook seem like the most hilarious person alive.

Ugh. Frickin' kids today.

ATF487

I was thinking that maybe Seinfeld gets a little inflated for those of us who watched it at the time due to the shows it went up against. There really wasn't anything like it. I went ahead and made a sort of "Top 25 90s Sitcoms" list just by IMDB ranking:

Code:
	Show                         	Year	IMDB Rating
1	Seinfeld                     	1990	9
2	Friends                      	1994	8.9
3	The Simpsons             	1989	8.8
4	The Larry Sanders Show        	1992	8.6
5	The Wonder Years        	1988	8.4
6	Married with Children        	1987	8.2
7	NewsRadio                 	1995	8.1
8	Frasier                       	1993	8.1
9	Boy Meets World                	1993	7.9
10	The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air	1990	7.9
11	Wings                        	1990	7.4
12	Home Improvement        	1991	7.1
13	Everybody Loves Raymond        	1996	7.1
14	Roseanne                  	1988	7
15	Murphy Brown            	1988	6.9
16	Coach                       	1989	6.9
17	The Nanny                 	1993	6.7
18	Mad About You            	1992	6.6
19	Martin                        	1992	6.6
20	Living Single              	1993	6.6
21	Doogie Howser, M.D.         	1989	6.4
22	Family Matters             	1989	6.4
23	Sabrina, the Teenage Witch	1996	6.2
24	Step by Step              	1991	6.2
25	Full House                  	1987	6.1

Definitely some real clunkers in there. There's a lot more variety these days.

I watched most of these shows but it's a pretty poor list quality wise.

It's sad that the Larry Sanders show is after Friends, though. So many shows quoted in the thread might not exist if it wasn't for Larry/Hank and co

I did, but I was kinda young to completely understand it.

I have probably seen every episodes 5+ times and I still watch it everyday.
Futurama is the only show I completely like more than it.

Ugh. Really, dude? Futurama is one of those rare beasts that can be completely awesome and completely shit in the same season.

Amazon Women in the Mood? Fucking brilliant.

A lot of other episodes? Cringe-worthy.

Ugh. Really, dude? Futurama is one of those rare beasts that can be completely awesome and completely shit in the same season.

Amazon Women in the Mood? Fucking brilliant.

A lot of other episodes? Cringe-worthy.

The great(Fryrish,Bark,Roswell, Devil's Hands)
are my favorite episodes of any TV show, so it elevates even bad episodes overall.
That just me though.

Vyroxis

Banned
Seinfeld had a few good moments, but for the most part the show was terrible. It took normal every day situations and tried so hard to make them funny that it just became stupid. Or it took stupid situations and drove them to some other level. Give me Cheers or Coach any day of the week.

rodvik

Just...gah. Sorry, I can't express in words how unfunny this show is. It's just terrible. Between this and Blade Runner I'm almost convinced there's something wrong with everyone from that generation

You insult Seinfeld and Blade Runner in the same post??? WTF man why dont you just go ahead and trash the Beatles at the same time.

DanteFox

First off, I just wanna say, OP you're retarded.

Second, name any sitcom that you like and I can GUARANTEE that Seinfeld is funnier, more clever and all around more consistent than it, or at the very least, equally so.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
So after hearing from my older friends about how great Seinfeld is for years, and as a Curb Your Enthusiasm fan, I finally took the time to give it a go. Some people recommend skipping the first season or two to get to the good stuff, so I started at Season 3.

I'm 16 episodes in ("The Fix-Up") and I've laughed maybe two times. Laugh is a strong word. Maybe "chuckled" is more appropriate. I just don't get it. What is funny about this series? Obviously Curb Your Enthusiasm is much more modern so it's more relatable, but Seinfeld just seems utterly unfunny to me. Like, on Two and a Half Men levels.

And what's the deal with Jerry Seinfeld's comedy routines interspersed in the episodes? Was he actually a stand up comic back then or is it just for the show? I actually feel terrible for people who lived back then if that's what passed for stand up comedy. It's just so corny and unfunny that it's not even funny (no pun intended). He makes Dane Cook seem like the most hilarious person alive.

It's CRAZY how unfunny this show is.

Just...gah. Sorry, I can't express in words how unfunny this show is. It's just terrible. Between this and Blade Runner I'm almost convinced there's something wrong with everyone from that generation

its an amazing show and i'm sorry that you can't laugh at it. too bad.

also, like many sitcoms, a comedian gets a show based on their comedy routine or their skits or something. Jerry Seinfeld was/is a comedian who actually did comedy tours. He is a comedian in the show and its more or less "based" on him being a comedian.

not sure how much of it is true, but it is rooted in truth.

GloveSlap

Its one thing to think that it is overrated, but you have severe problems if you think it is literally the most unfunny of all time.

seat

Just...gah. Sorry, I can't express in words how unfunny this show is.

Well, you've certainly made a clear and concise argument to convince us of your point. Oh wait... no you didn't. You just said you don't know how to express your very purpose for making this thread.

Seriously, are you trolling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom